Sign in to follow this  
Buncey

Henderson - useless fool or played out of position?

I was talking to some people before the game on Sunday about Henederson. I''ve always stood by him as although sometimes he does stupid things i generally feel he is a decent player and shows a great work commitment. When Hughes is always slated everyone says he works hard and shows effort but when Henederson is slated nobody comments on his superb workrate. Anyways i''ve felt that Henederon should be played as an attacking midfield and not the striker/target man/winger/full back that worthy plays him in. Reasons i feel he''d play well there:
  1. When defending he puts in effort and will push back the other team and give out defence some more cover. He also comes back and defends more than most players
  2. When attacking he is a threat running into the box where he will be left un-marked or on the edge of the area where he can gets shots in and he can hit the ball well.
  3. When he played in this position against Millwall 2 seasons ago he played superbly and scored twice. That day we played crouch on his own upfront and huckerby and mc veigh and 2 midfielders in the centre. Surely a CM could be dropped and this formation tried when it worked so well when we got promoted using quick counter-attack football.
Most importantly he is a youth player and at the moment we have very few youth players in the squad let a lone the team.

To be honest he''s never going to make the grade he''s been here to long without makining a real impact on the team and I can remember him having a few good games but I think we should get rid of him in the summer he''s had enough chances, which some of the other younger players would have probably took the chances hes had better.

Ok, nice to know people''s opinions. I do believe he''s better than hughes and chalton but like you say not as good as ryan jarvis. What annoys me about worthy he leaves his youth players to rot out in the squad when he could loan them out and then gives them away to other teams like Crow to Northampton and he''s scored bucket load of goals. We could have kept him or at the least got a fee for him. It''s like youth players don''t have much chance at Norwich no more.

When Henderson inevitably leaves Norwich in the coming seasons he will no doubt end up appearing on the teamsheet for a local side like Kings Lynn or Diss.

Doubt he''ll ever be good enough for the Championship, and probably not even League 1 or 2.

"he''s a useless fool that is played out of position"

im beggining to agree with alot of your posts "if your rubbish..." nice one 

Agree with the general sentiment of this thread - Henderson is not good enough to play at a top end Championship side - end of story. If he was, he''d have cemented a first team place by now, and be undroppable - but he has never looked like achieving that aim. How many years has he been hovering around the fringe of our first team? Too long.  He''s a League 1 player at best.

Surely there is a case for Hendersons Career not being managed and nurtred very well. Players need competetive games, and not in our reserve team to gain experience. What he really needed were periods out on loan where he could had developed as a player and Got first team action and played regulary up front in his natural position. In and out of the first team and playing out of position has hardly helped him. 

Sorry JohnoBono I disagree. If Henderson was good enough, whenever he gets a chance in the first team, he has to make some sort of impact regularly. Make himself undroppable. Yet he never does. Bellamy didn''t need to go out on loan - he burst into the team and made himself undroppable. Henderson never has - even in a situation when we don''t even have a right winger at the club. He''s about on a part with Chris Llewellyn in my book - so Wrexham/Hartlepool is his natural level.

Henderson doesn''t seem to have progressed from the early promise he showed with Paul Hayes when the two were coined as the H-bomb strike force. I don''t know whether this is because he simply isn''t good enough or because he has had his confidence shot to pieces by fans booing him and being poorly managed by Worthy. If you read Iwan''s book it talks about Henderson being subbed in a game in tears and being afraid to play because of the crowds reaction. That can be enough to destroy a young player. Clint Easton was the same. He got so much abuse from the fans that towards the end of his time at Norwich, when he was a sub he hoped he wouldn''t get on so he didn''t get stick from the crowd whenever he touched the ball. No player should be made to feel that no matter how lacking in talent they are.

I don''t think Hendo has a future at Norwich and it would probably be best for both club and player if he had a fresh start. I think he could do a job for a lower league club as a striker and hopefully with more confidence he has a career ahead of him. He certainly isn''t useless as some of you are suggesting!

Yeh maybe, but in Hendo''s case I doubt it''d make much difference. Let''s face it, had he not been an NCFC youth product he probably wouldn''t be a proffesional footballer right now.

i agree with you there, paul. he does need to be loaned out. i just don''t think he has ever been allowed to get any confidence. if he sets the world alight on loan in league 1, give him a chance up front in the champ. otherwise, sell him.