Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Why all this Foley was great' stuff?

''One down two to go'' - that''s my view now I''ve just caught up with the news.

The WO campaign have long argued that the ''management team'' should be culled not just Worthy. Would you all still be singing the praises of Foley if Worthy had been sacked and we had simply replaced him with Foley? Don''t think so!

This club needs a fresh broom throughout it''s coaching / management  staff and that means getting a new manager and coaches from outside.

What evidence do some of you have that Foley was actually any good at his job? All the comments seem to be along the lines of ....''he was always a good laugh'', ''he chatted to me at a forum'', ''he got on with the lads'' etc. Well, guess what I''ve spoken to Worthy at AGM''s and the guy is friendly, honest and good humoured. Has that made him a good manager over the last two years? Er, No! Get real and wipe away the Foley nostalgia from your eyes. Truth is none of us REALLY know what his abilities were and whether the illness set him back, he had a bust up with Worthy etc. What I do know is that early in the season when Foley finally put his head above the parapet, all we heard was the usual   ''work hard and hope that things improve'' rallying cry or have you forgotten that?  

I''m pleased he''s gone but wish him well in the future. It''s a clear fudge by the Board though as they hope this will draw the sting out of the WO campaign. It must not and will not.

Was this REALLY Worthy''s decision? I very much doubt it, I think it was something along the lines of ...''change your coaching staff or you''re out'' ultimatum. Whatever happened to the ''Nigel, Doug and Steve'' team or  the ''infinite patience'' requirement or the ''we''re all in this together'' philosophy that the Board have spouted for years now? So far Foley has carried the can, now lets get rid of the organ grinder.  

New coach - Ian Crook (to placate the fans).

Fickle Fans if he stayed we''d want him out when he goes we want him back - when worthy goes we''ll probably be saying he wasnt that bad and we should sack the board. Fickle Fickle Fans. Im glad he''s gone.

10 years at the club is no mean feet....  The word scapegoat also comes to mind.  However yes, in essense you are right, 1 down 3 to go.  We need to remove the Head Clown, the ''Yes Man'' and the ''Brown Noser'' ex ticket office manager next.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

''One down two to go'' - that''s my view now I''ve just caught up with the news.

The WO campaign have long argued that the ''management team'' should be culled not just Worthy. Would you all still be singing the praises of Foley if Worthy had been sacked and we had simply replaced him with Foley? Don''t think so!

This club needs a fresh broom throughout it''s coaching / management  staff and that means getting a new manager and coaches from outside.

What evidence do some of you have that Foley was actually any good at his job? All the comments seem to be along the lines of ....''he was always a good laugh'', ''he chatted to me at a forum'', ''he got on with the lads'' etc. Well, guess what I''ve spoken to Worthy at AGM''s and the guy is friendly, honest and good humoured. Has that made him a good manager over the last two years? Er, No! Get real and wipe away the Foley nostalgia from your eyes. Truth is none of us REALLY know what his abilities were and whether the illness set him back, he had a bust up with Worthy etc. What I do know is that early in the season when Foley finally put his head above the parapet, all we heard was the usual   ''work hard and hope that things improve'' rallying cry or have you forgotten that?  

I''m pleased he''s gone but wish him well in the future. It''s a clear fudge by the Board though as they hope this will draw the sting out of the WO campaign. It must not and will not.

Was this REALLY Worthy''s decision? I very much doubt it, I think it was something along the lines of ...''change your coaching staff or you''re out'' ultimatum. Whatever happened to the ''Nigel, Doug and Steve'' team or  the ''infinite patience'' requirement or the ''we''re all in this together'' philosophy that the Board have spouted for years now? So far Foley has carried the can, now lets get rid of the organ grinder.  

[/quote]

I do find it funny that he is now being made out to be some kind of martyr of the Worthington reign of terror.  In January he was accused of being a yes man after the "one on the chin" comments, now the nasty Worthy has apparently sacked him for not being a yes man.  Some people want have their cake and eat it.

I think it is because he has been singled out when all three are equally culpable; sacking one but not the others was never really an option as they were the footballing management team, with ultimate responsibility being with Nigel; yet the buck seems to have been passed.

The recurrent opinion appears to be that he was the best of the three from a coaching perspective when it was the coaching that has been the biggest concern, and so we have been left with the worst (and best paid??) pair. 

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

I do find it funny that he is now being made out to be some kind of martyr of the Worthington reign of terror.  In January he was accused of being a yes man after the "one on the chin" comments, now the nasty Worthy has apparently sacked him for not being a yes man.  Some people want have their cake and eat it.

[/quote]

I thought that. Foley has transformed from rubbish coach who must be rid of immediately to a coach "Who told Worthy what was what and wasnt prepared to be a yes man, so Worthy got rid of him". - I cant remember who posted that, but it shows the goalposts are moving yet again.

I think the concern stems from the fact that the general consensus (and I have heard this from several different people) was that although Foley did a lot of the day to day training, Worthington is the one that called all the shots and was generally not prepared to take on board advice from Foley anyway. This being the case the removal of Foley will not make much difference as it was Nigels tactics, nigels team selections and nigels motivation that has lef to the last two terrible seasons and he will still be there next season.

he was sacked for knocking worthy''s signings and tactics - he understood the norwich way

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I think the concern stems from the fact that the general consensus (and I have heard this from several different people) was that although Foley did a lot of the day to day training, Worthington is the one that called all the shots and was generally not prepared to take on board advice from Foley anyway. This being the case the removal of Foley will not make much difference as it was Nigels tactics, nigels team selections and nigels motivation that has lef to the last two terrible seasons and he will still be there next season.[/quote]

As you say, Foley did the day to day training but Nigel calls the shots.  Foley was a coach and Worthington is the manager, it''s the way it works and I doubt you would find many managers who don''t do it their own way.  

Put it this way, what if Foley''s advice was rubbish? 

[quote user="ROSSI 46"]he was sacked for knocking worthy''s signings and tactics - he understood the norwich way[/quote]

If that is true then Foley is a bit of a fool.  I am quite happy to argue a point with my boss if I am right but I would never criticise his business strategy and the employee choices he made over a full financial year - unless I wanted to have my contract terminated obviously.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I think it is because he has been singled out when all three are equally culpable; sacking one but not the others was never really an option as they were the footballing management team, with ultimate responsibility being with Nigel; yet the buck seems to have been passed.

The recurrent opinion appears to be that he was the best of the three from a coaching perspective when it was the coaching that has been the biggest concern, and so we have been left with the worst (and best paid??) pair. 

[/quote]A recurrent opinion based upon that magic NOTHING! I have said it before and I will say it again - look at the statements with that opinion in it. "my mates mate", "my mate knows Foley . . .".And as I have said before. It tipifies the kind of opinions the anti-worthington brigade display on here - skin deep with very little fact or substance to back them up. Which if they are truly representative as they claim to be just goes to show how shallow the campaign has been. Rather than looking for the real and meaty reasons they grapple at things that most of the time don''t even exhist.

how can people say he questioned his tactics and signings, and didn''t agree with him? unless he''s told someone directly, i cant see how these can be points when they can easily be wrong. for all we know, he might have recomended these players to nigel!

and yes, i dont agree with he was the best of the bunch stuff. definately 1 down, 2 to go.

I know (no I really do) one of the goalposts at Colney, who Steve Foley sometimes leans against when watching training, and he told me that Foley had to go because he was having an affair with a unicorn who lives in Costessey. Apparently they had a horn-headed baby together and he was caught stealing NCFC tracksuits from the changing rooms to cloth it in. Him and Worthy had a massive ''it''s the club or the unicorn'' row on the training fields and Foley had to leave with his tail between his legs, which is a shame ''cos I''d heard he was the best horse-whisperer at the club, which Worthy didn''t like.

Another mate of mine, one of the training cones at Colney, reckons David Williams is the next to go because he''s made of orange play-dough, and Worthy doesn''t like orange, even though Williams is loved by ALL the players ''cos he can be moulded into pretty star shapes and pretend footballs. Worthy doesn''t like him being popular for that either, so Williams is gone, you mark my words.

[quote user="King Juan of Spain"]

I know (no I really do) one of the goalposts at Colney, who Steve Foley sometimes leans against when watching training, and he told me that Foley had to go because he was having an affair with a unicorn who lives in Costessey. Apparently they had a horn-headed baby together and he was caught stealing NCFC tracksuits from the changing rooms to cloth it in. Him and Worthy had a massive ''it''s the club or the unicorn'' row on the training fields and Foley had to leave with his tail between his legs, which is a shame ''cos I''d heard he was the best horse-whisperer at the club, which Worthy didn''t like.

Another mate of mine, one of the training cones at Colney, reckons David Williams is the next to go because he''s made of orange play-dough, and Worthy doesn''t like orange, even though Williams is loved by ALL the players ''cos he can be moulded into pretty star shapes and pretend footballs. Worthy doesn''t like him being popular for that either, so Williams is gone, you mark my words.

[/quote] LOL, ROFL!!  I didn''t know Foley had a tail.  That explains a lot.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

A recurrent opinion based upon that magic NOTHING! I have said it before and I will say it again - look at the statements with that opinion in it. "my mates mate", "my mate knows Foley . . .".

And as I have said before. It tipifies the kind of opinions the anti-worthington brigade display on here - skin deep with very little fact or substance to back them up. Which if they are truly representative as they claim to be just goes to show how shallow the campaign has been. Rather than looking for the real and meaty reasons they grapple at things that most of the time don''t even exhist.
[/quote]

Here''s three facts for you Chicken:

1. Nigel Worthington has overall responsibility for coaching, team selection, tactics and signings.

2. After an exceptionally disappointing season (some would say two seasons) Steve Foley gets the sack.

3. It stinks.

You can''t really criticise the coaching and then moan about the sacking of the coach. He wasn''t doing a very good job, looking at the team''s performances, and that may - MAY - be all that''s missing. I doubt it though...