Sign in to follow this  
yellow hammer

Rick Waghorn

It seems to be a very sudden departure from Archant for Rick Waghorn. His last column in the pinkun online doesn''t look like it''s a goodbye note. Anybody any ideas?

Yellow Hammer

Has he definitely left Archant then? He hasn''t just gone away on holiday, or is off sick or something silly like that?

Good! now perhaps we wont get patronising Twoddle every week and actually have someone who''s got the guts to ask the probing questions rather than Brown nose with the Carrow Road Board.

jas :)

My understanding of the situation is this:

Basically there was a big enquiry and a load of people (including Waghorn) had to re-apply for their own jobs. He did get it again but was so p***ed off with the situation that he''s leaving. What he''s leaving to do though, amazes me.

He is setting up this website where he will charge Norwich fans £2/3 a month for "exclusive" Norwich City news. He''s talked to Delia and Worthington about this and feels that because there is tension between Archant and NCFC, he can get exclusives from them (news stories, signings etc I suppose) and put them on his website before the EDP/EEN get them. He thinks he''s going to make enough money out of this web site to live on which in my opinion is ludicrous. It''ll only take one person to put the info on here or on the Wrath and a thousand people will know. Oh well, his lookout.

Th guy who wrote for EEN before Waghorn (Cuffley I think) will be taking his job and apparently will be a lot less affiliated with the club, not afraid to piss a few people at the club off and tell the truth etc.

I found this out about a month ago but wasn''t sure if I''d be allowed to put in on an Archant message board!

[quote user="stephen nobbs"]Has he definitely left Archant then? He hasn''t just gone away on holiday, or is off sick or something silly like that?[/quote]Rick is one of those who has left the company following a restructuring of Archant Norfolk''s subbing and sports desks.

Good luck to Rick with his future projects but if it means that the football section of the local rags finally get some teeth then its good news.

Good luck to Rick in whatever he does eventually choose to do; I always found his journalistic style easy to read and commendably lacking in histrionics. He also deserves great credit for having the courage to go to print with his ''citizen journalist'' piece, which I''m sure he knew would cause an almighty stink, even though he was of course absolutely spot - on in his observations and conclusions about the damaging effect of too many uninformed, over -opinionated keyboard warriors spouting off in cyberspace.  That it incited so many little outraged hissy - fits all across the City message boards was a much needed source of amusement in an otherwise grim, humourless season !

Nice  one, Rick, and thanks.

[quote user="seedyrom"]

Good luck to Rick in whatever he does eventually choose to do; I always found his journalistic style easy to read and commendably lacking in histrionics. He also deserves great credit for having the courage to go to print with his ''citizen journalist'' piece, which I''m sure he knew would cause an almighty stink, even though he was of course absolutely spot - on in his observations and conclusions about the damaging effect of too many uninformed, over -opinionated keyboard warriors spouting off in cyberspace.  That it incited so many little outraged hissy - fits all across the City message boards was a much needed source of amusement in an otherwise grim, humourless season !

[/quote]

Even though he''s becoming a citizen journalist himself?  Yeah what a big man

[quote user="seedyrom"]

[/quote]Well said Seedy.  Nothing I can possibly add to that.

Thanks Rick, he let me write Your the boss a couple of weeks ago and I thank him for that, also he created much debate on here with is uninformed ramblings....  So I guess Chris Lakey will take over his role??  He appears to have been Mr Brown Noser from his recent articles .....  You need a water carrier you know especially one whom can''t pass tackle, and has no positional sense. 

What a local newspaper we have.....

Good luck to Rick. Unlike several citizen journalists who post on here, I wasn''t at all offended by any of his articles, but I have to say I never particularly liked his style of writing either. In my humble opinion, Archant have several sports writers who are better.

I always felt Rick Waghorn took himself too seriously. When I have written to him to point out errors he has made, he ignored my letters. Bye Rick.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

... he created much debate on here with is uninformed ramblings.... 

[/quote]

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Richard Balls or Steve Gedge are the current and best local football scribes.  Waghorn doesn''t even get close to those two! Rick, was/is too chummy with Nigey,  Delia and Co. Never went for the jugular! I also think Waghorn, Neil Adams and Roy Waller are of similar ilk........."Ooooh! Mustn''t ask uncomfortable questions, or dare to write derogatory comments about our ''ickle'' Norfolk football club - or we will lose our entitlement to cosy snug blankets, biscuits and a free brew! PAH!......Cheerio Rick, didn''t realise you''d gone!........TELL IT HOW IT REALLY IS!

I bet young Chris Goreham has been instructed to ''toe'' the NCFC media reporting line as well. He initially, when appointed Radio Norfolk match commentator; asked some probing and uncomfortable questions to Nigel. Even critically questioned some of his tactics......Then......Chris ''sorta'' eased off the pedal, and is, I think - being a tadge restrained.

"Allegedly"........

Balls and gedge are the best two IF you only want Worthy out/the club is c**p articles. Rick was a quality journalist.

Takes himself too seriously? Not half.He''s expecting people to pay to find out what he thinks.Same dreamworld as Worthy and Delia. Same spin as NCFC and labour.I thought I was going to spill some beans here, re his project, but it seems I''ve been beaten to it.More * that I''m not interested in hearing.

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]

My understanding of the situation is this:

Basically there was a big enquiry and a load of people (including Waghorn) had to re-apply for their own jobs. He did get it again but was so p***ed off with the situation that he''s leaving. What he''s leaving to do though, amazes me.

He is setting up this website where he will charge Norwich fans £2/3 a month for "exclusive" Norwich City news. He''s talked to Delia and Worthington about this and feels that because there is tension between Archant and NCFC, he can get exclusives from them (news stories, signings etc I suppose) and put them on his website before the EDP/EEN get them. He thinks he''s going to make enough money out of this web site to live on which in my opinion is ludicrous. It''ll only take one person to put the info on here or on the Wrath and a thousand people will know. Oh well, his lookout.

Th guy who wrote for EEN before Waghorn (Cuffley I think) will be taking his job and apparently will be a lot less affiliated with the club, not afraid to piss a few people at the club off and tell the truth etc.

I found this out about a month ago but wasn''t sure if I''d be allowed to put in on an Archant message board!

[/quote]

So he is going to become one of the "citizen journalists" he was moaning about?

[quote user="Grumpy Mare"]Balls and gedge are the best two IF you only want Worthy out/the club is c**p articles. Rick was a quality journalist.[/quote]

Sorry Grumpy but IMO he was more apologist than journalist.

He didnt have to adopt a Worthy in or out stance but a time when things are visibly not going well a quality journalist would have at least posed some searching questions and tried to provide some answers/analysis. Waghorn simply didnt do this.

If you cast your mind back over the year I think you''ll find that, despite his supposedly close links to Carrow Road, we learnt precious little about anything of substance and personally I''m glad he''s gone. Not got anything particular against him but he''d become so content free I scarely bothered to read him any more.

[quote user="Grumpy Mare"]Balls and gedge are the best two IF you only want Worthy out/the club is c**p articles. Rick was a quality journalist.[/quote]  I agree. 

Here''s an interesting little story. 

Balls proclaimed on Radio Norfolk that he sits in the Snakepit.  So I emailed him suggesting that he retitle his column "A View from the Pit" or something like that, as "Fan''s Eye" is rather boring, and to correct the misleading impression that he is Mr Average Norwich Fan.  He replied to the effect that no, he doesn''t really sit in the Snakepit after all, he sits right on the edge of the City Stand. 

Pathetic.  Richard,  you''re a Snakepit Boy.  Stand up and be counted.

The thing is, Richard Balls and Steve Gedge are journalists, but they aren''t first and foremost sports journalists.  So their jobs are not wholly dependent on what they write in Fan''s Eye.  

Their columns are published unedited (why??), unlike the regular sports journos. This has allowed a number of factual errors to slip through which, by the time they have been corrected, have already wound up the usual suspects into a regular lather.  Not exactly what you would call responsible journalism.

I wonder if the modifiers will allow this post through (unedited) . . .

[quote user="Grumpy Mare"]Balls and gedge are the best two IF you only want Worthy out/the club is c**p articles. Rick was a quality journalist.[/quote]

Morning Delia!.

[quote user="mystic megson"]Their columns are published unedited (why??), unlike the regular sports journos. This has allowed a number of factual errors to slip through which, by the time they have been corrected, have already wound up the usual suspects into a regular lather.  Not exactly what you would call responsible journalism.[/quote]I think you''ll find that our regular columnists don''t get "edited" unless its for reasons of space on the page; and they will write to a certain number of words to fit to the space available in the paper. Columns get subbed to check for spelling and to make sure it reads without confusion (and blantant errors).The main thing about personal columns is they''re an individual''s perspective of the situation. I''m not sure what factual errors you refer to (although I''m not saying that mistakes haven''t slipped through), but these people''s will have arrived at their views over a period of time and won''t have written an entire column based on one rumour.

I only discovered what all this fuss about Rick Waghorn was yesterday;

the whole "citizen journalist" thing, and I have to say that I find it

utterly hilarious.  The fact that this thread has stayed on the

first page and is causing so much anger in the first place goes some

way to proving Rick''s point in the article.

I agree that his journalism could have been a little more probing at

times, but I don''t think people on here realise the balancing act such

a journalist faces - if he alienates the club, he severs his ties to

the truth, and so in turn cannot report factually back to the public.

Balls and Gedge, in their fans columns, may ask more questions at the

moment, but if they were to become chief sports writer, or whatever,

they''d face the same problems and their articles would probably end up

sounding just like Rick''s.

If you want football journalism that goes for the jugular, read Richard

Woolnough, ffs! Oh, that''s right, we don''t like him either...

[quote user="Web Team - Vince"][quote user="mystic megson"]
Their columns are published unedited (why??), unlike the regular sports journos. This has allowed a number of factual errors to slip through which, by the time they have been corrected, have already wound up the usual suspects into a regular lather.  Not exactly what you would call responsible journalism.[/quote]

I think you''ll find that our regular columnists don''t get "edited" unless its for reasons of space on the page; and they will write to a certain number of words to fit to the space available in the paper. Columns get subbed to check for spelling and to make sure it reads without confusion (and blantant errors).

The main thing about personal columns is they''re an individual''s perspective of the situation. I''m not sure what factual errors you refer to (although I''m not saying that mistakes haven''t slipped through), but these people''s will have arrived at their views over a period of time and won''t have written an entire column based on one rumour.[/quote] The example we are all familiar with is the NW contract fiasco in the autumn.  IMO neglect of the facts when they do not support the argument is disrespectful to the readership.  

Richard Balls also claims to "pull no punches".   That wasn''t the case after the QPR game, when he dismissed the behaviour of City fans who had cheered the QPR goals as "nuisance twigs".  (At least he didn''t sink to the level of claiming they were simply admiring good play.)  If they had been QPR fans in the home section, they would have been thrown out and banned.  Sitting on the fence was not an option.    

"Pulls no punches"?  You''re having a laugh. 

Maybe Evil Monkey and Mystic Megson, can link up with Rick - and indulge in a little journalistic ''troilism'' xxx.....[:P]

I could ''nitpick'' at Waghorn''s ''truth and facts'' but, what''s the point? 

So what if I do prefer Gedge and Balls to ''ex Archantee'' Rick? Whether the duo are ''pro'' or ''anti'' management is totally immaterial to me. I feel that they write what I actually witness for myself - and that is why I tend to concur with their perceptions - as much is the case that many others agreed with Mr Waghorn''s opinions. Rick''s match reports on numerous occasions on the many NCFC games that I also personally witnessed both home and away - just didn''t have my views/opinions on the teams good, bad or indifferent performances.

I think the NCFC manager has come to the end of his tenure, that is my personal opinion, and after the last 20 months, it is most certainly not a "must go with the flow" knee-jerk reaction. Waghorn writes the ''tenesmus'' words, what this club and management desire to see and hear. Gedge and Balls are an alternative to Waghorn and I very much prefer to read their ''rantings'' as opposed to Rick''s rambling. [;)]

Oh, and I also agree with Mr Kevin Piper''s comments concerning this ''excellent'' season as well........OTBC ;~) Cheerio Nigel! 

[quote]Richard Balls also claims to "pull no punches".   That wasn''t the case after the QPR game, when he dismissed the behaviour of City fans who had cheered the QPR goals as "nuisance twigs".  (At least he didn''t sink to the level of claiming they were simply admiring good play.)  If they had been QPR fans in the home section, they would have been thrown out and banned.  Sitting on the fence was not an option.    [/quote]

Anglia Television''s pictures of QPR''s second goal celebrations clearly show Richard Balls, in his usual seat, applauding the QPR goal.

Get hold of the pictures and see for yourselves.

I always hoped that TMITS was Rick in a guise able to say what he wanted rather than tow the company line that all was well at the road. Any one know who the man really is, I''m sure this has been covered before, but I must have missed it.