Sign in to follow this  
The Duke of Norfolk

Is this theory regarding the board and NW ludicrous?

I was talking to a chap the other day and he was suggesting that the following scenario may have occured at our club.

Upon gaining promotion the board/Delia and MWJ  sat down with Worthington and told him that they wanted to make as much money off the promotion to the Premiership as possible.

They told him that they would give him a minimal transfer budget but that that he would have a guaranteed job for the next 2-3 seasons on a nice big salary provided he went along with the boards plan and did not come out and criticise it and the lack of a transfer budget.

I didn''t think much about it at the time but having thought about it today it could be true.

They are all winners from a finacial point of view. I know Delia and MWJ claim to be fans but i am not convinced they are as big a fans as they make out, for me they are more business people than fans.

Worthington gets to make a nice lot of money that will no doubt set him and his family up for life. This would also explain NW''s "happy tourist" approach to the Premiership and would also explain the lack of a transfer budget for the start of this season. If we were really serious about "doing a Charlton" we would have spent more it is as simple as that.

I would also not be surprised to see Delia and MWJ leave the club after their "plan" to back NW for next season backfires. Well that will be the excuse they use having made their money and getting the hell out of here whilst we are left watching Championship football for another 10 years or probably more.

Ludicrous theory? or could such a scenario really be happening at our club?

Completely sensible - they just want to make as much money out of us as possable. Sold a player for 7 million and bought one for 3 - there''s 4 million for a start off and where did the 20 million premiership money go!

Total rubbish.

With regard to Delia and Michael; yes they  are business people...but anybody who decides to run a football club in order to do nothing but make money is quite frankly insane.

[quote user="Campbell"]

Total rubbish.

With regard to Delia and Michael; yes they  are business people...but anybody who decides to run a football club in order to do nothing but make money is quite frankly insane.

[/quote]

If this is the case, answer the point above then!!!

[quote user="Silver Canary"]

Completely sensible - they just want to make as much money out of us as possable. Sold a player for 7 million and bought one for 3 - there''s 4 million for a start off and where did the 20 million premiership money go!

[/quote]Well that was pretty poor for a start!Spending 3 million on a replacement? Did they learn nothing from Mr Chase and his fine "how to bleed a club dry" philosophy?Completely sensible? What are you on? I want some...

so why did they write off the money that they loaned to the club?

This whole forum is getting more and more ridiculous and it''s about time it was properly moderated. Someone is going to get sued eventually for some of  the libellious claptrap that is posted on here. I want change as much as anyone but this is NOT the way to go about it.

QUESTION how do you get a million from a football club?

ANSWER invest ten million

If this was sound business don''t you think Branson and the like would be involved. Ask Alan Sugar if it is a good investment.

you would be better off investing in the channel tunnel !!!!!!!

It may have escaped your notice but there isn''t actually any money to be made from football unless you are reaching the semis of the Champions League each year and every kid in Asia has your team''s shirt. You can check Deloitte''s website if you don''t believe me but it''s very boring, so take my word for it.

Delia is not in this for money. The bank have first dibs on everything that comes into the club, she just ploughs money into it with no return other than the catering side.

[quote user="The Duke of Norfolk"]

I was talking to a chap the other day and he was suggesting that the following scenario may have occured at our club.

Upon gaining promotion the board/Delia and MWJ  sat down with Worthington and told him that they wanted to make as much money off the promotion to the Premiership as possible.

They told him that they would give him a minimal transfer budget but that that he would have a guaranteed job for the next 2-3 seasons on a nice big salary provided he went along with the boards plan and did not come out and criticise it and the lack of a transfer budget.

I didn''t think much about it at the time but having thought about it today it could be true.

They are all winners from a finacial point of view. I know Delia and MWJ claim to be fans but i am not convinced they are as big a fans as they make out, for me they are more business people than fans.

Worthington gets to make a nice lot of money that will no doubt set him and his family up for life. This would also explain NW''s "happy tourist" approach to the Premiership and would also explain the lack of a transfer budget for the start of this season. If we were really serious about "doing a Charlton" we would have spent more it is as simple as that.

I would also not be surprised to see Delia and MWJ leave the club after their "plan" to back NW for next season backfires. Well that will be the excuse they use having made their money and getting the hell out of here whilst we are left watching Championship football for another 10 years or probably more.

Ludicrous theory? or could such a scenario really be happening at our club?

[/quote]

Can I have some of what you''re on please?

[quote user="Campbell"]

Total rubbish.

[/quote]

What does that say about Robert Chase then?......[:|]

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Silver Canary"]

[/quote]

Well that was pretty poor for a start!
Spending 3 million on a replacement? Did they learn nothing from Mr Chase and his fine "how to bleed a club dry" philosophy?

Completely sensible? What are you on? I want some...
[/quote]

I was being sarcastic - my point is that they made 4 million from this as well as the 20 million profit from the premiership!

[quote user="Silver Canary"][quote user="Herb"][quote user="Silver Canary"]

[/quote]Well that was pretty poor for a start!Spending 3 million on a replacement? Did they learn nothing from Mr Chase and his fine "how to bleed a club dry" philosophy?Completely sensible? What are you on? I want some...[/quote]

I was being sarcastic - my point is that they made 4 million from this as well as the 20 million profit from the premiership!

[/quote]STOP IT!!!!! All you do is spout rubbish. Most of it libellous. Ashton cost £3.5million. Of the £7million received, around £1.5million was shared between Crewe, Ashton and his agent... So that''s £2m profit, not £4m, and neither does it account for the signing on fees and wages that the club paid him during his 12 months at CR.£20million for the Prem... Firstly it''s not that much (more like £10m), secondly, all of it was spent on new players, huge Premiership salaries, paying back loans for the ground expansion the previous season and refinancing the club''s (at the time) £7million+ outstanding debt.I would suggest that you read through some of the club''s yearly financial reports before you throw anymore figures at us.

Silver Canary wrote:

"my point is that they made 4 million from this as well as the 20 million profit from the premiership!"

You obviously don''t even understand the difference between income and profit. This just epitomises the type of Faint Hearts who want Worthington out.

With due respect SC the sentence has briefly answered the point.  You might refer to the point that being business people and to invest in a football clubs such as ours or many others is counter productive. One only has to look at the balance sheets of most clubs where the gate money falls far short of staff outgoings.

We do not produce enough money to pay top players £100.000 +per week with back up players on the similar salaries.  This means we do, as a business venture not compete for staff etc. etc, on a level playing field, this adds up to bad business!!!  Philanthropists invest in football, they are mega rich and have money to burn, they will spend money on the Mu''s, Chelseas, Inter Milans in the faint hope that they keep the money intact while at the same time provide themselves with a tax incentive/ come loop/hole.  looking at Delia & Co I do not see any evidence to support the assumption that they are in this league.

The paragraphs prior to this accusation, have a ring of Ironic truth that I, in other posts have mentioned,  mainly that Worthington fits in with the Delia and co ethos, old fashioned loyalty being one among others.