Sign in to follow this  
Maverick

Worthy Out supporters - you're a disgrace

I was thoroughly ashamed to be a Norwich City fan today , witnessing scenes that I never thought I would see at Carrow Road.

1 - Listening to Five Live on the way to the game , they read a text from a Norwich fan saying he is going to the game today in the hope that his team lose and the directors will at last see that they should sack Worthington.

I''ve got a better idea , mate - dont turn up - save yourself the stress and save those around you from your negativity.

2 - After the first QPR goal - singing Worthy Out songs while play went on.

Before the game and after the game maybe but during the 90 minutes , the players deserve our support.End of story.

3 - The second QPR goal heralded more displays of abject stupidity -

- Norwich Fans in the Barclay celebrating the goal.

What ? Cant even begin to explain that and hope I never see it again.

- Subsequent to that , booing Hughes every time he receives the ball.

Yeah , thats really going to help his confidence and make him a better player isnt it ? Plebs.

- Standing ovation because Hughes is being substituted.

Again , thats going to help the bloke isnt it ? Dont get me wrong,I think he''s absolute garbage too but its clear he doesnt do it deliberately and its also clear he tries his hardest.He had a bad game (was again asked to play in 2 positions) and the manager put him out of his misery.

- And yet more Worthy Out chanting and songs while the game was going on.

Terrific , well done lads.

I understand the frustrations of the people who want the manager out but I''m not yet fully in agreement but I do understand the following -

As supporters , our part in the equation is to do exactly that - support the team.

That includes through thick and thin.

Those who dont intend to do so should stay outside the ground with their petitions and protests because they are absolutely no use to anyone if they are just going to cheer when the opposition score and chant against the manager.

I''m really not sure you have thought this issue through.

To sack the manager would cost the board a year of his salary as notice.Any new manager coming in will want money to buy new players.He will probably not fancy many of the players he inherits , which would also cost a large amount of money as they all have decent contracts that would have to be settled.Then there is the issue of the new players wages.

All in all this could cost up to £10m - do you really think we can afford to do this ?

Another thing you haven''t thought through is the effect this sort of behaviour is having on the players we would want to stay here - for example , Hucks,Shackell,Drury,Green,The Doc,Earnshaw.If another top half Championship club or a Prem club was to approach them during the Summer do you really think that they would feel the loyalty to stay at a club where the fans are booing the players whilst they play and chant for the manager to go when they concede a goal ?

There''s also the knock on effect this can have with regard to potential signings - word spreads through the football community , do you really think that Halford,Jerome,Edwards etc dont know whats going on here ? For example , we approach a highly rated Wales U21 full back who happens to know Earnshaw or Robinson.He asks their advice - should he come here ? What do you think the answer would be ?

It is to the players absolute credit that they turned a game round today , given the atmosphere that they were faced with.

Please dont delude yourselves that they did it because they were responding to your criticism - they did it inspite of the fans , not because of them.

I''ll close as I started , those involved in the actions I listed above made me ashamed to be a Norwich fan today - I hope I don''t have to feel like that again..

This is a very fair post Maverick.

I have to admit I felt very torn today just listening to the radio and hearing the supporters abuse. It may have been a long time coming but it does go against the grain and I suspect the mature supporters involved in the WO campaign at all levels felt it too.

The last time I gave up on my season ticket and stopped going to games was at the end of the Chase era. I hated the atmosphere then and if I am completely honest this was a big factor in my decision not to go today and not to renew this year.

I cannot abide the hoofball, I don''t like some of our players and aside from the fact that he is a stoic and decent individual cannot abide Nigel Worthington''s personality.

By the same token I feel ashamed as Norwich supporters protesting outside their own ground, jeering their own players and targetting their manager and certain players for abuse. It just doesn''t sit with me.

The attitude of these supporters manifests itself in the evil child (Chucky) SC and I do not wish to be associated with his comments.

By the same token the Club has a lot to answer for. Like politicians they spin so much that when the chips. are down they are treated with cynicism.  How well has NCFC handled the whole issue?

Finally, looking at the track records of relegated sides, what is it that makes us so ambitious? Sell out gates? Star players? We clearly were blind to the fact we had an imbalanced and small squad with unknown players coming in and after listening to the low expectations of the Club for the Prem season drank in the hype of the Club for this season.

It is a shame that it has all come to this. 

If the game today had had anything riding on it, I would agree. But it didn''t. Many people are deeply frustrated at the standard of performances and the seeming lack of joined up thinking at the club...we pay a lot of money, care about what happens, and have every right to have our say, to try to have some kind of influence. Watching that shambles, in the context of this dreadful season, the reaction was, I think, entirely fair.

Andy Hughes is, as you say yourself, not good enough. He''s had enough time to show what he can do...

£10m? Seems unlikely to me...There are already good players at the club, wouldn''t take that much investment to address the obvious weaknesses and pay off the clown Worthington...Green will probably go too in the summer, which ought to fund the most part of a right midfielder and a striker above 5''6 to play alongside Earnshaw

Players being put off coming? Impossible to say I''d have thought...Footballers are probably more interested in wages and the stature of the club I would think...outside of the Premiership we''re probably still very attractive...

I was at the game today and agree that it is a disgrace that fans feel the need to shout for their manager to be sacked. I believe that Worthington is an honest and decent man who tries to make the correct decisions. Shouting for the manager to resign will make it harder to sign good players next season and effects the confidence of the team

I was at the game today and was shouting for the manager to be sacked. I am afraid it is the only thing that the board will listen to. Worthington is damaging this club - not the majority of the fans who are demanding a change. He is not good enough in this league or the Premiership, has been saved by having more money to spend than most other clubs in this league and too often makes the wrong decisions. Delia and co do not want to take any action and this is the only way to ensure that action is taken. It is a disgrace that it has gotten this bad and will remain a disgrace as long as this fool is in charge of this great club.

Worthy Out - (in a very quiet voice....)

So what are you suggesting, Maverick? We can''t afford to sack Worthy so we just make do with crap players, crap tactics and crap performances? Sorry but that doesn''t wash with me. As far as I''m concerned the board are to blame for what we witnessed today. And you think today was bad - you wait until Worthy c**ks it up next season!

Today has been coming for a long while and unless there is a change in management, things are going to get worse.

delia & co, rightly or wrongly, have left people with little option than to protest negatively mav, agree it should never have come to this. worthy should have gone way back - disunity among the fans lies fair and square at delias door.£10m to let go of worthy? can''t agree.  if you''re such a true supporter mav, then why is carra rd like a graveyard every match?

Good original post  Maverick

[quote user="huck tastic"]

Players being put off coming? Impossible to say I''d have thought...Footballers are probably more interested in wages and the stature of the club I would think...outside of the Premiership we''re probably still very attractive...

[/quote]

I''m afraid the damage is already done. The fans at Norwich are perceived as fickle and Carrow Road as a place that you wouldn''t want to call home. We are likened to West Ham fans who all booed Pardew and were calling for his head for the majority of last season, but now see him as ''god''.

I would love the likes of Halford to come to Norwich but can quite understand if he doesn''t, especially if Colchester get promoted - he might just think he may become an ''Andy Hughes'' and who would blame him. The Norwich fans will get the players they deserve! Don''t kid yourselves that ''outside the Premiership we''re probably still very attractive'' as the management have to work hard to attract players to Norwich in the first place. This is just making it harder.

Yes we are an absolute disgrace, in that given the rubbish that is served up each week, over 24,000 still turn up!! The board could soon improve the atmosphere in the ground by doing what so obviously will happen, either n0w, or 10-12 games in to next season when it will be too late!! Surely, take a hit cost wise now rather then to let W waste even more of our parachute monies on dreadful transfer signings. Looking at the team against QPR.....Gallagher made some excellent, if at times fortunate saves, certainly could have been 4 of 5 against but for him, Spillane hopefully he was injured otherwise why was he taken off, Doherty, Shackall and Drury all had decent if average games, Hughes simply dreadful, although lets face it  pure tactical genius to play him out of position at right back!, Robinson and Etuhu both awful why did we sign either of them, Hucks good second half (without him we would never stand a chance), Jarvis, why have we given him a 2 year contract? Earnie showed us what he can do given the service. Why was JJ2 on the bench, as he gave them all sorts of problems when he came on, and gave Earnie loads of extra space..another Worthy master stroke.   

If worthless stays at our football club we will face years back in the wilderness. The parachute payments will have gone and been wasted. The ill feeling on the terraces will increase. For the good of our club Nigel Worthington must go. He is doing damage that will be long lasting to this club. The board has buried their collective heads in the sand. Ultimately they are to blame for it coming to this. They back this clueless manager, and endorse the pathetic hoofball and tactics on show by continueing to employ the man. All the spin in the world from Delia, Carl Robinson, Worthington, or Hux are not going to paper over the cracks that are now wider than the Grand Canyon.

This atmosphere, these feelings will not go away while Nigel Worthington remains at the club. He has long lost the respect and backing of the majority of supporters. That is what you saw happening on Saturday. The shouts, the calls, the chants are the only way this Board will listen. If he is still here next season the pressure will be on from kick off. He wont have time to mold a team again. Poor play and tactics again (which I guess is inevitable) will just see the whole sinario (spelling) of Saturday being replayed again and again.

Wake up Delia, Doncaster and Co, this ''Manager'' must go for the sake of our football club.

I thought that the ''this is embarrasing'' chant and ''worthy out'' were in order (though personally I would prefer to save that for outside the 90 mins) because this is the rational expression of opinion which everybody is entitled to and it was an embarrasing display at that point. But I would agree with you Maverick, a large proportion of the behaviour I witnessed yesterday afternoon did make me thoroughly ashamed to be considered part of such a rabble - I am particularly referring to the level of vitriol being directed at individual players. The chants directed at the team/manager as a whole were totally legitimate and cheering QPRs goal was simply idiocy, but some of the barracking of individuals yesterday afternoon was an absolute disgrace. I also hope I don''t have to feel like this again.  

Agreed McDougalls Perm - the treatment of Hughes was appalling and unwarranted - its the manager who repeatedly picks him when clearly either out of his depth or out of form...

On the other hand if we cant protest as an embarrasing performance in a meaningless game when can we make out thoughts known?  It WAS embarrasing, the managers performance only came good when his back was against the wall (as so often seems to be the case) and the singing of ''can you score a goal for us?'' was fully merited.

As the manics sung if you tolerate this...

No individual player should be booed and i certainly wasnt one doing so. However, people pay there money and so are entitled to their opinions on the subject. The football was crap, it was embarresing, losing to QPR would mean that worthy would have had to be sacked. i''m not saying chearing opposition goals is right, but sarcastically clapping the dreadful players, and chanting is that so bad?

Yes you are definitely right, it was an unnacceptable performance - certainly for the first half - and, as I say, good luck to the protests if they are carried out in a civilised manner. Yesterday wasn''t, and if those responsible think that they are helping the WO cause then they are more delusional than they seem.

I''ve said this before, whilst I want Worthy out, during the ninety minutes the team is on the pitch I support them, whoever they are! (Even Hughes!).  I can see why people aren''t happy, I''m not happy, but I don''t believe the way to approach this is to stick it at the players.The buck stops with Worthy, and Worthy out protests should be before or after the game.  Why not a banner or something?  It got a very good point across at Villa.OTBC!Chunky!

I admit the treatment of Hughes was unfair. But a lot of supporters have been to so many games, especially away games - where Norwich have not turned up/ played awful football and simply been and embarrasment and seemingly not trying. It is not my place to say but should fans sit there in silence watching the same old crap week in week out with nothing being done about it?

Chunky - banners are forbidden by the club (from Doncaster no less, confirming that they represent an unacceptable fire hazard and are likely to inflame crowd trouble... which judging by the Snakepit exclusion when the worthy out chants started is likely to be true) so we cannot take that route - I am aware of fans having such banners confiscated at home games already this season.

If the fickle fans can voice displeasure during a game it amazes me that the same fans cant give up their pint time to protest either pre- or post match to make the same point more forcibly without affecting on pitch performance.   

I totaly agree, the fans singing worthy out during the game were a disgrace, especailly as we went on to win 3-2, no matter how rubbish we played.  You would have thought people would have learnt from the Middlesborough game that its not over until the fat bloke in black blows his whistle!

Well done to the players for ignoring the boos and chants and getting on with the game and actaully turning the result around, especially to Huckerby for getting us back on track.

I believe it may be time for a change of manager but I still don''t agree with the protests, he''s even done what most fans have been moaning about and givien some of the youngsters a go like Spillane, Henderson & Jarvis.

Well done to Paul Gallagher as well, worth keeping hold of him, done well in the last two games showing that he deserves to remain at the club.

For all those who are going to the Wolves game for the last game of the season, if you don''t like the protests sing over them with "Y''army" or OTBC.  Lets get behind them for the final game and hope we can beat the second Sc...Rivals.

OTBC

[quote user="Canaries for Ever"]

Good original post  Maverick

[quote user="huck tastic"]

[/quote]

I''m afraid the damage is already done. The fans at Norwich are perceived as fickle and Carrow Road as a place that you wouldn''t want to call home. We are likened to West Ham fans who all booed Pardew and were calling for his head for the majority of last season, but now see him as ''god''.

I would love the likes of Halford to come to Norwich but can quite understand if he doesn''t, especially if Colchester get promoted - he might just think he may become an ''Andy Hughes'' and who would blame him. The Norwich fans will get the players they deserve! Don''t kid yourselves that ''outside the Premiership we''re probably still very attractive'' as

[/quote]

Damage already done eh? How do you know? Have you spoken to ''the likes of Halford'' personally? Of course not...And fickle compared to who? Leeds? Wolves maybe? What a joke... 

Ambitious footballers will come here firstly if they are paid enough and secondly if they think the club has the potential to go up, end of story...and its hardly the least attractive place in the world to live either is it? Oh, and anyone with so little self-belief  that they are worried about being ''the next Andy Hughes'' we can probably do without anyway...

Get some perspective...

There is no excuse for booing our own players, ever. And because I dont boo the team and support the club doesnt make me naive, inept or stupid, unambitious and all that rubbish.

At one point I thought we were all on the same side which was to support the football club. Dont ruin what a good reputation the fans had. You have your opinoin and I have mine, they are both valid. If I get poor service from a something Im meant to actually like I dont go in and boo the staff for everything they do, thats got to be so counter productive. Someone said in a another post one season in the Premiership has gone to peoples heads, I dont think thats far off. That doesnt mean I want us to fail though. Hang on - there are posters who think ''the opposite'' to me that DO want Norwich to lose.. wheres the logic in that! (to Get Worthy out I hear you say - well its working so far isnt it? And the team arent suffering as a result?) Im as frustrated as the next man with our performance this season but there is damage being done by our own supporters, in my book thats not good.

"

To sack the manager would cost the board a year of his salary as notice.Any new manager coming in will want money to buy new players.He will probably not fancy many of the players he inherits , which would also cost a large amount of money as they all have decent contracts that would have to be settled.Then there is the issue of the new players wages.

All in all this could cost up to £10m - do you really think we can afford to do this ? "

the transfer list will see to getting rid of all the dead wood, and That means we woulsdnt have to pay off their contracts.. thats about 9 million saved.

We can afford to get rid of Worthy/...

I want Worthy out and the scenes yesterday were very sad indeed but it has got to this stage because of the board, because of Worthy.. and because Nothing has been done.. unless Something is done soon then we will see an all out civil war as things wont change in the summer and people will just bottle up their feelings till August.

jas :)

"Yes you are definitely right, it was an unnacceptable performance - certainly for the first half - and, as I say, good luck to the protests if they are carried out in a civilised manner. Yesterday wasn''t, and if those responsible think that they are helping the WO cause then they are more delusional than they seem."

So in what way do you think that they harm the cause? Answer please not personal abuse

your entitled to your opinion, but i will do what ever it takes to get rid of this poor excuse of a manger.......................funny how a bit of abuse and worthy out chanting always kicks the players into action. maybe this is an approach worthy himself should try...........

[quote user="Silver Canary"]

"Yes you are definitely right, it was an unnacceptable performance - certainly for the first half - and, as I say, good luck to the protests if they are carried out in a civilised manner. Yesterday wasn''t, and if those responsible think that they are helping the WO cause then they are more delusional than they seem."

So in what way do you think that they harm the cause? Answer please not personal abuse

[/quote]as i have stated many times before .....I do as I want, i don''t follow the worthy out group who like having protests near the club shop where nobody can hear you.It''s time to turn up the heat and the best possible way is in the ground. I for one cannot believe that people are actually defending the players, they are to blame for this as much as worthy. I will continue to pressure the club in as many ways as i can, one is a wall of silence in the ground and anti-worthy songs. It dosen''t go un-noticed in the ground because so many people have posted on the subject. The message is getting through and long may it continue until the manager is gone..

Maverick

I agree pretty much with everything you say. The reaction from some of the fans was nothing short of truely idiotic. The fact they ended up with eggs on their faces is a true testament to our team for fighting back under such hostile conditions - at our own ground. Anyone would''ve thought we were playing away at Galatassary.

Cheering for the opposition is simply utterly pathetic. If you can''t support your own team get out of Carrow Road. Simple as.

Personally I believe half of the people making the fuss are lots of "Johnny Come Latelys"who jumped on the bandwagon of our success during the early part of Worthington''s reign. They''re used to the good times. They can''t take the bad times. If they had been watching us 8 to 10 years earlier they would''ve seen poor football week in week out (long term season ticket holders excepted from this criticism). After all, what were average attendences 8 years ago - about 16,000? Where have the extra 9,000 fans come from? Jumped on the band wagon - and now they can''t take the rough with the smooth.

I''m not saying we haven''t been rubbish this season - we have at times. But cheering for the opposition is not the answer. the board have got the message - if Worthington doesn''t deliver next season he''ll be gone - I''m certain of it. So any more idiotic behaviour won''t further your cause, it''ll just make everyone think you''re a bunch of complete braindead muppets.

And Silver Canary - booing your own players can destroy their confidence, and anyone with a modicum of knowledge about football will realise that football is a confidence game. A confident defender doesn''t panic when he''s the got the ball at his feet terrified of making a mistake so he hoofs it, instead he takes his time and passes it. Sadly, too many of our fans seem totally ignorant over even simple knowledge of football.

Basically, the board know we''re not happy - so lets shut it and get back to supporting the team before we become a complete joke of a club with fighting amongst our own fans for real.

So some supporters will do whatever it takes to get rid of Worthy - I tell you what - carry on like you are cheering when the opposing team scores and it won''t only be Worthy who possibly leaves - Huckerby has already expressed his disgust at what happened when QPR scored - I tell you what why dont you just bugger off and support those teams cos I am sure the boys in Yellow and Green dont want you.

I don''t think any of the chants were aimed at abusing the players except maybe that of Hughes who i counted in the 2nd half of the match made 10 passes to Norwich players and 10 to QPR players (all of the norwich ones were less than 5 yard passes), which is unacceptable under any circumstance. When we won the match everyone was cheering and singing and celebrating the players who ignored worthingtons hoofball tactics and played passing flowing football. It''s obvious that Worthington is doing something wrong when i see Etuhu running 60 yards passing through balls, Earnie stalking the box scoring goal, Docherty making crunching tackles and huckerby headering the ball. I applauded QPR scoring because Worthington has no idea of tactics and it lifted the players on the pitch visibly.