Sign in to follow this  
notmehonest

A Challenge for the last two games....The last chance saloon

Putting cards on the table from the start I am a Worthy outer but I am actually beginning to have my doubts, not because of the six home wins on the trot, nor the fact that it appears that the message about Hoofball seems to be getting through, more the fact that, on balance, there has been a lot of "bad luck" this season and our "best team" has rarely, if ever been on the field for a single game - sometimes, like McVeigh, it has been down to Worthy but others like the absences of Leon, Marney, Safri and Ashton have been down to injury or in the latters case "idontwanttobehereitis"

SO THE CHALLENGE.

We are currently one point behind Cardiff - beat them and we will be at a maximum two points behind Wolves - beat them and the only opposition to us being in seventh place will be Luton who need to win their last two games as well.

It will not be easy, for Cardiff you will need to break the away game and geen shirt hoodoos and Wolves players will be up for a challenge to give Hoddle a good send off and advertise themselves to new clubs...so there is actually much to play for.

So Nigel and the team - the Challenge is for the reviews from History to say "finished just outside the playoffs in 7th place but with a large points gap" as the conclusion to this annus horriblis rather than same as last year "picked up points at the end of the season but ultimately a bridge too far and slumped to finish 16th as lost their last two games"

With this I would swap sides - A lot of what happened this Season was down to outside forces rather than choice - next Season the team will be more settled with fewer having escape clauses that allow players to walk away - too often this Season has relied on a patched up side of emergency players and players bought as back up playing as first choice....

I do, however, predict two absolutely dire games so will stay an "outer" but prove me wrong!

OTBC 

Seventh is completely meaningless. As Jack Nicklaus once said "Second is a niche in oblivion". Seveth in the championship is the same.

quite Right Kathy...

Take the premiership for example.. yes 2nd place gets u a champions league place (laughable in itself as finishing 2nd-4th doesnt make u a champion.. it should be called "the only way we can get big teams in europe" cup).. but finishing 1st gives u the razamatazz and financial clout!

jas :)

Finishing 7th is like finishing 12th or 15th  it doesn''t mean a thing!!

7th sounds better then 12th

but there are two big reasons to finish 7th

1st - we earn more money

2nd - we are higher then Ipswich

I''d have a lot more respect for the players if they finish 7th than if they finish 16th. Realistically, to appease teh fans they have to try and do as well as possible

I don''t know how this managed to be posted under my real name or for that matter to have appeared on screen without me getting a confirming email.....but thats life I suppose...you cannot control everything but some things are under your total control....

Yes finishing 7th means absolutely nothing other the retention of the "Pride of Anglia" title that we have held for the past three years but the challenge is that there are no ifs buts or maybes the team can have a clear objective for the last two games of the Season - win those and history will show you finished 7th.

With that I personally will write the 2005/6 season off to experience where matters were not under our control, close it off, and eagerly look forward to next years games....