Sign in to follow this  
rich

boothroyd and what a difference a good coach makes

Apologies if we discussed this earlier this week, couldn ''t find the link and was away over the easter weekend. But did anyone see the watford players taking practice pens at the end of the match, anyone think in a million years worthy could come up with anything as forward thinking as that.

In fact the most positive thing he has done all season was hire a sports psychologist, good idea, shame nigel is only a good few years behind the big clubs with that one. Wonder if NIgel ever even bothers revising his coaching skills like all the big guns, or does he already think he knows it all.

I read somewhere that it was Clive Woodwards idea but that is by the by... At the end of the day, you are spot on - i cant imagine Worthington or band of merry men coming up with anything like that...Hell, when we were in the play-offs he admitted he didnt even practice penalties in training!

[quote user="Rob"] I read somewhere that it was Clive Woodwards idea but that is by the by... At the end of the day, you are spot on - i cant imagine Worthington or band of merry men coming up with anything like that...Hell, when we were in the play-offs he admitted he didnt even practice penalties in training![/quote]

I remember another manager saying he didnt think it helped to practice penalties - Glenn Hoddle!!  what an idiot, Steve Bruice had his men practising penalties for the previous couple of months!!

i think its a must to practice penalties. if i was a pen taker id be practicing putting them in exactly the same place every time. if your not sure where your going to put it, chances are it will be a slow hit shot just either side of the middle.

According to the radio the team have spent all week training in the poxy green kit to try and help for real this saturday.

I am not really a KTF''er - but just like to see some fairness in any argument.

As a player I would say that the art of penalties is actually quite simple even as an amatuer and I should imagine that they are involved in regular training as each team normaly has a nominated penalty taker.Saying that there a plenty of managers who do not like to do that because if the player is low on confidence it could be a big mistake. Some managers prefer to let whoever is actually up for it to take the penalty.But to be honest unless the keeper gets lucky or reads it well pros should not have a problem burrying penalties. If they miss the target altogether they deserve a slap.

another poster with short term memory loss! The same sports psychologist is now at Watford that was with Norwich during the playoff season! A little bit of groundwork prior to such sweeping comments is important!

Also, if you have seen training this week at colney the players were wearing the green kit to get used to it! And its not so much green as camoflague!!!!

Anyhow, why get the crowd to stay behind after the match to create the vitriolic barbarous atmosphere of a penalty shootout when it lasts for 90 minutes at Carrow Road every week recently!

rocky I think the priniciple was that we let go a fantastic coach and kept a tactically inept manager, league table would back that up. Is it a good thing we let our sports psychologist go to watford then, isn''t that another sign nigel isn''t on top of what it works and what doesn''t.

[quote user="rich"]Apologies if we discussed this earlier this week, couldn ''t find the link and was away over the easter weekend. But did anyone see the watford players taking practice pens at the end of the match, anyone think in a million years worthy could come up with anything as forward thinking as that. In fact the most positive thing he has done all season was hire a sports psychologist, good idea, shame nigel is only a good few years behind the big clubs with that one. Wonder if NIgel ever even bothers revising his coaching skills like all the big guns, or does he already think he knows it all.[/quote]

He is good which is why worthy got rid of him - he did''nt wa''nt a good coach at the club incase they took his job from him!!

Players don''t spend enough time on their skills anyway. The method to become good at anything, no matter how naturally talented you are is practice, practice, practice and a constant revision of the basics.

agreed Rudolph...

what good is it practicisn free kicks, penalties, tricks and flicks etc when u cant even kick the ball in a straight line.

As for Boothroyd... Had he of stayed he''d of been after Worthys job by now... and id of hoped he''d of got it...

Worthy says he was angry at the time Boothroyd left.. but would u be angry if the "prtender to the throne" joined the enemy camp? neither would I

jas :)