Sign in to follow this  
Cheeky Monkey

NU corner - making some noise

I''ve noticed on some other posts that people are ''bigging up'' the NU corner as they seem to have some optimism left and have started singing of late. I sit nearish to the aforesaid stand and let me sum it up for you.

It''s about ten 30 somethings with free corporate tickets (Real Supporters haha) making fools of themselves, and a few kids joining in.

I''m amazed they haven''t been kicked out, as that corner is meant to be a community stand. The ringleader who is about 40, likes to regurgitate old faves such as "If I had a wings of a sparrow...." His younger more impressionable colleagues (they are all about 35years old) then join in and they all giggle afterwards like little girls. I hereby apologise to all girls, but if you''ve ever stewarded at a National Girls Hockey Tournament at Wembley you''ll know the noise I mean.

Meanwhile the majority of the N&P and Jarrolds stands sit there laughing at them, confused. I''m not sure if they are a local amateur dramatic society employed by Delia to ''make some noise....'' or narrow minded degenerate employees of the company that Norwich used to be proud of. Abit like it''s football club.

Whatever the answer, they are almost as embarrasing as the performances on the field.

[quote user="Cheeky Monkey"]

I''ve noticed on some other posts that people are ''bigging up'' the NU corner as they seem to have some optimism left and have started singing of late. I sit nearish to the aforesaid stand and let me sum it up for you.

It''s about ten 30 somethings with free corporate tickets (Real Supporters haha) making fools of themselves, and a few kids joining in.

I''m amazed they haven''t been kicked out, as that corner is meant to be a community stand. The ringleader who is about 40, likes to regurgitate old faves such as "If I had a wings of a sparrow...." His younger more impressionable colleagues (they are all about 35years old) then join in and they all giggle afterwards like little girls. I hereby apologise to all girls, but if you''ve ever stewarded at a National Girls Hockey Tournament at Wembley you''ll know the noise I mean.

Meanwhile the majority of the N&P and Jarrolds stands sit there laughing at them, confused. I''m not sure if they are a local amateur dramatic society employed by Delia to ''make some noise....'' or narrow minded degenerate employees of the company that Norwich used to be proud of. Abit like it''s football club.

Whatever the answer, they are almost as embarrasing as the performances on the field.

[/quote]I see you''ve lifted this post out of another thread, so it must really bother you.  Why???

Monkey.I sit in the NU and I sing ( sometimes ) and I am only 29 yers old thank you very much. Also, I have a season ticket ( and have renewed in the NU ). Sorry if we offend you by enjoying ourselves at the football Mr Monkey.  I think you will find that the NU has a good group of season ticket holders who love watching City, I hearby apologise to anyone who has a problem with this.

Fair play prawn, and welcome to the board. I appreciate that there are regular paying supporters sitting in the NU stand. However there are also a lot of freebies given away in that corner - which does somewhat get on my goat. Corporate hospitality has ruined football in many ways.

Why does it annoy me, someone else said. The singing doesn''t - I love singing at games home and away. Freebies to non-paying supporters annoys me, and songs such as "If I had the wings of a sparrow...." and "My old man said be an Ipswich fan" - both true classics but better kept for the Barclay and not the community stand.

Doesn''t one think? 

Obsenities to the rear, prawns to the left etc. Each has their own place. 

Now I don''t know who the "singers" are but  would agree that they are not all young kids so full credit to them.

BUT it is very true that a lot of the seats in this area are club employees and their guests.  So in the interest of fair play and openness can someone else apart from prawn sandwich shed some light on this issue?

It would appear to be the only positive area of the ground at the moment, so come on Pink Un search them out.  I must admit I had wondered if it was the tapes that were used in the Chase Out days resurfacing. Remember them? Where Barclay songs from earlier matches were replayed over the loudspeakers!

Ive been a city fan and season ticket holder since I was 9 years old and I sit in the NU stand. There maybe a handful of corporate people who jump on the band wagon, but there are also a lot of genuine city fans who come to support their team (however hard that maybe these days!) We always join in the songs when the Barclay start singing, and the atmosphere is generally good!

OTBC

People at that end of the ground do''nt really care that much about the club - when they sing its just cos they wa''nt to be seen as "one of the gang." The real fans are in the barclay and especially the snake pit.

Worthy Out!!

[quote user="Silver Canary"]

People at that end of the ground do''nt really care that much about the club - when they sing its just cos they wa''nt to be seen as "one of the gang." The real fans are in the barclay and especially the snake pit.

Worthy Out!!

[/quote]

What about the family enclosure where you sit SC surely you kids are real fans too.

[quote user="Silver Canary"]

Worthy Out!!

[/quote]

Is that so? I think that collectivly the people "at that end of the ground" will have more years supporting City than you think. Many of us have been there and done it before you, excuse the assumption, were born. Because we now come to the match with our kids does this make us uncaring? I was at Carrow Road when it was all Terrace and in the mad days when MUFC fell through the Barclay roof. But in your narrow mind I am not a "real fan". Thanks Silver but I would not want to be in your Gang. Why do you believe that where you sit makes you a Real supporter?

p.s How do I qualify as a "real fan"?

Haha interesting debate about "real fans", this does always make me laugh. Don''t we as a nation love to categorise and stereotype.

However when it comes to abusive/obscene language I do think it should be kept to the Barclay, if it is indeed necessary at all.

Why allow people in the NU stand to sing using foul language when it is meant to be a community stand?

Sneak your bottle of beer into the ground and you''re out. Happened last week - naughty man. Swear in the community stand - that''s fine.

I''m no prude at all, I just think a faction of giggling adults reminiscing songs from the 80s is a bit sad and not the birth of a new Snake Pit.

For all you fare paying season ticket holders singing "On the Ball City", "Yellows" whatever, good on you. For the the group of thirty somethings signing ruder songs surrounded by kids.

You''re pathetic. Look it up in a dictionary.  

In the Crypt where you can hear a gnat fart (unless the linesman makes a blunder) the NU Corner often comes across loud and clear and is a real bonus to the atmosphere as it sometimes gets the surrounding stands going. This corner could be the catalyst for a much better atmosphere.

As for The Barclay, for those of us who knew it before the stand itself and the supporter mix is not conducive to an intimidating atmosphere. While the songs are often creative The Barclay itself is a shadow of what it used to be and could be. Why not put an age limit on it?

My season tickets are in the NU corner and I know what Cheeky monkey means. My concern with the upper part of this stand is that it is, as someone has said, often populated with groups of match ticket holders and you do often get gangs of brightly Primark/Matalan shirted lads who look like friends or relatives of players who are coming along treating it like a stag day out or a "Men Behaving Badly" tour. They are often just showing off and don''t really give a stuff about the rest of the supporters there. However it is not violent or particualrly intimidating and the majority in that stand are the solid phlegmatic mixture of traditional City supporters.

The good thing about the NU stand is the bar at the back is very spacious although despite this the club seem to understaff the serveries so the queues are just as bad as everywhere else.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]

In the Crypt where you can hear a gnat fart (unless the linesman makes a blunder) the NU Corner often comes across loud and clear and is a real bonus to the atmosphere as it sometimes gets the surrounding stands going. This corner could be the catalyst for a much better atmosphere.

As for The Barclay, for those of us who knew it before the stand itself and the supporter mix is not conducive to an intimidating atmosphere. While the songs are often creative The Barclay itself is a shadow of what it used to be and could be. Why not put an age limit on it?

[/quote]

What age limit do you suggest? I''m 29 & a season ticket holder in the Barclay, would I be allowed to stay?

The people who have a view of the pitch without the post - those nearest the Jarrold Stand - are mostly the corporate guests. Everyone else puts up with the post in the way, but still get behind the team! The main vocal support comes from the second block from the left looking out, but it is backed up by the rest. Sorry if this offends you in anyway, but its just a some people having some fun! They arent doing any harm, and if the club hasnt recieved any complaints I dont see how it can be an issue.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Silver Canary"]

Worthy Out!!

[/quote]

What about the family enclosure where you sit SC surely you kids are real fans too.

[/quote]

No I go in the barclay with my mates

The more people that sing out the better, i remember the Man U match last year when 26,000 people all pointed at the Man U fans singing "you''re not singing anymore" it was truely sweet. I dont know why the barclay end should be the only ones vocally supporting the team, loads of other grounds everyone gets stuck in singing. The bit about singing rude songs though is wrong and i dont like all the corporate guests at the ground it really does ruin the atmosphere.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

My season tickets are in the NU corner and I know what Cheeky monkey means. My concern with the upper part of this stand is that it is, as someone has said, often populated with groups of match ticket holders and you do often get gangs of brightly Primark/Matalan shirted lads who look like friends or relatives of players who are coming along treating it like a stag day out or a "Men Behaving Badly" tour. They are often just showing off and don''t really give a stuff about the rest of the supporters there. However it is not violent or particualrly intimidating and the majority in that stand are the solid phlegmatic mixture of traditional City supporters.[/quote]

Thanks Tumbleweed for the support. I used to be a Barclay Boy years ago (I''m 36 now), but now go with my Dad to spend some valuable time together. Father and son at the football and all that. I''d probably go in the Barclay if I didn''t go with him. So as I say I''m no prude.

I just feel that the NU corner is a bit laddish, in a sad way. Sing and have fun and make some noise great. Just stop the girly giggles.

in an ideal world we would have the same type of support as portsmouth do, but that will never happen, especially as the jarrold stand is a no standing area which basically cancels out any chance of chanting. The norwich and peterbourogh stand really should get more stuck in, no excuses as there are many adults there aswell as teenagers. If everywhere in the ground had the same atmosphere as the barclay and snake pit carrow road would be a much better place for not only the supporters but the players aswell.

an age limit in the barclay! utter Shyte!

i have been in the barclay since 1996.... im 25 this year! if u had an age limit of people, say, under 30.. id be turfed out and some Johnny come lately could be allowed to say...

where were half these people when we lost 4-0 to charlton infront of just 9000 people in 1998????

jas :)