Sign in to follow this  
Womble

Why no support for Worthy at the ground?

"Remember Bruce Rioch got us 9th with a very poor squad...."

It wasnt that poor a squad - was it? I mean if I remember correctly we had Iwan and Bellamy upfront, Anselin an onfire Mulryne, De Balssis and one of the meanest defences in the leagues in Jackson and Fleming. Actually I thought Rioch was unlucky - he left a season to early in my opinion. I think with a couple of signings he really could have taken the team to challenge for the play-offs the following season. 9th at the time was very respectable and our highest finnish for quite some time prior to the arrival of Worthington.

I simply had to comment on your list:

Locally doing good jobs:Mike Newell [:D] - has done ok at this level, probably a good risk should push come to shove.Steve Tilson [:D] - not proven at this level. But having a good season at the moment.Phil Parkinson [:D] - as above.

And others off the top of my head:Tony Mowbray [:D] - Doing well in Scotland but then ask Leicester what that means when it comes to making the switch to England, was assistant to Burley when they got relegated.Glenn Hoddle - Are you serious? With all of his supposed expertease and money given to spend he has got Wolves nowhere! NO WAY! Alex McGleish - Interesting idea, would we offer him the money he is used to at Rangers, would he take a wage cut? A possibility but what if a prem club goes for him?Ian Holloway - Well I am sure we could get him for very cheap or even free, could well be worth the risk although he has gone stale at QPR after only what two or three seasons?Martin Allen - Nope. Not proven enough.Bobby Robson - Short term solution.John Gregory - Erm, not on your flippin nelly.Dennis Wise - Not experienced enough as a manager, still needs to really cut his teeth.Mark Bowen [:D] - I think that Bowen is a risk but he has been a successful assistant for a while now, maybe worth a go.Dave Williams - Not sure about this one. If nothing else sure but he seems to be doing a good job with the accademy at the moment so keep him there. Maybe he could be promoted to assistant manager alongside someone like Bowen to add some experience?

And those we could try and tempt away from their current club:Mickey Adams [:D] - Possibly but yet again Coventry have one of the top scorers and most admired strikers in the division and where are they?Dave Jones [:D] - Please, the guy has a very murky backround and has got a reccord at clubs where he has been given tons of money to spend. He did a lot worse with Wolves when they went up to the prem than Worthy did with us and they debatedly had a better squad.

Or if their chairman do stupid thingsGeorge Burley [:D] - Possible, but do we really want someone in charge of our team who signed the likes of Finidi George?Joe Royle - Actually one of the more realistic names mentioned here.Steve Bruce - Its possible if he decides to leave Birmingham if they get relegated. Not sure though.

What you have also got to take into account is the following:- Sunderland are currently managerless and actively looking for a manager.- Newcastle are exactly the same.- Two from Birmingham, Pompey and WBA will go down and will surely ditch their manager in the process (unless it is Bruce).Other clubs where the managers are treading on thin ice at the moment:- Wolves & Hoddle- QPR & Holloway (he is as good as gone)- Aston Villa & O''Leary- Millwal are now managerlessAnd that is all I can think of off the top of my head. And I think that it is the clubs with more money who will determine who becomes available but out of your list I would be most tempted by:Mike Newell, Bowen, Joe Royal and Micky Adamns.Now when compared to Worthingtons last five years I dont think any of them have a comparable reccord.Mike Newell is debatedly the best with promotion from League One to the Championship - but that is simply not promotion from this division to the Prem. Otherwise you are looking at Bowen who has been a part of but not the man in charge of Berminghams promotion, Wales'' good form and Blackburn this season. Micky Adams unfortunately only has relegation on his track reccord. Joe Royal has a lot of experience and has taken clubs places previously but taking him on would be putting faith in the fact that he can still do it.And that last point really sums it up for me - Worthington gained promotion to the premiership only two seasons ago, compared to any of the guys mentioned he is surely closer to being able to repeat that than they are? As mentioned Newell is the only one to have had that sort of success recently and is he capable of doing it at this level? We know Worthington is capable because he has done it before - thats fact not guesswork.

Marty Said: "I think you''ll find lots of good championship managers will be hankering for a job in the premiership or at bigger Championship clubs. Don''t get me wrong, Norwich are not a small club but they simply don''t have the lure that some clubs do. In you list of managers I notice lots have been sacked in the past, does that mean they are good or bad? To me it is just the managerial merry go round, in other words they may not be any better than what we have got. I am not saying I am totally adversed to the idea of a new manager but I am against the idea of change for the sake of change, we have seen in the past that this policy does not always work. So how much bigger than Luton are we? the only reason mike newel would come here is if we offered more money, not because we are a sleeping giant. OK we do get good crowds but so do Sheffield Wednesday and how many top managers are clambering over themselves for that job.

I do agree some of the managers you list sound potentially good, like say Martin Allen, but he is still young and inexperienced."

We are a large championship club with the highest attendances in the championship - full houses week in week out, some great players at this level, a patient board that backs its manager in terms of money and time....   what more will does a manager want??  Sheff wednesday are broke - we are on a stable financial footing, with perhaps a couple of million to spend in the summer - a fair amount in this division.  And a decent squad of players (if still unbalanced and needing tinkering with)

If we offered Mike Newell the job he would take it - I for one wouldnt be surprised if either He, Phil Parkinson or Steve Tilson arrive here if worthy is removed.

if worthy is that capable why has he ballsed it up so badly this year? and last year for that matter. i think royle has far more experience that worthy could ever dream of so your argument is a little bit flawed there. why oh why do you love worthy so much?

[quote user="chicken"]

I simply had to comment on your list:

Locally doing good jobs:
Mike Newell [:D] - has done ok at this level, probably a good risk should push come to shove.
Steve Tilson [:D] - not proven at this level. But having a good season at the moment.
Phil Parkinson [:D] - as above.

And others off the top of my head:
Tony Mowbray [:D] - Doing well in Scotland but then ask Leicester what that means when it comes to making the switch to England, was assistant to Burley when they got relegated.
Glenn Hoddle - Are you serious? With all of his supposed expertease and money given to spend he has got Wolves nowhere! NO WAY!
Alex McGleish - Interesting idea, would we offer him the money he is used to at Rangers, would he take a wage cut? A possibility but what if a prem club goes for him?
Ian Holloway - Well I am sure we could get him for very cheap or even free, could well be worth the risk although he has gone stale at QPR after only what two or three seasons?
Martin Allen - Nope. Not proven enough.
Bobby Robson - Short term solution.
John Gregory - Erm, not on your flippin nelly.
Dennis Wise - Not experienced enough as a manager, still needs to really cut his teeth.
Mark Bowen [:D] - I think that Bowen is a risk but he has been a successful assistant for a while now, maybe worth a go.
Dave Williams - Not sure about this one. If nothing else sure but he seems to be doing a good job with the accademy at the moment so keep him there. Maybe he could be promoted to assistant manager alongside someone like Bowen to add some experience?

And those we could try and tempt away from their current club:
Mickey Adams [:D] - Possibly but yet again Coventry have one of the top scorers and most admired strikers in the division and where are they?
Dave Jones [:D] - Please, the guy has a very murky backround and has got a reccord at clubs where he has been given tons of money to spend. He did a lot worse with Wolves when they went up to the prem than Worthy did with us and they debatedly had a better squad.

Or if their chairman do stupid things
George Burley [:D] - Possible, but do we really want someone in charge of our team who signed the likes of Finidi George?
Joe Royle - Actually one of the more realistic names mentioned here.
Steve Bruce - Its possible if he decides to leave Birmingham if they get relegated. Not sure though.

What you have also got to take into account is the following:

- Sunderland are currently managerless and actively looking for a manager.
- Newcastle are exactly the same.
- Two from Birmingham, Pompey and WBA will go down and will surely ditch their manager in the process (unless it is Bruce).

Other clubs where the managers are treading on thin ice at the moment:

- Wolves & Hoddle
- QPR & Holloway (he is as good as gone)
- Aston Villa & O''Leary
- Millwal are now managerless

And that is all I can think of off the top of my head. And I think that it is the clubs with more money who will determine who becomes available but out of your list I would be most tempted by:

Mike Newell, Bowen, Joe Royal and Micky Adamns.

Now when compared to Worthingtons last five years I dont think any of them have a comparable reccord.

Mike Newell is debatedly the best with promotion from League One to the Championship - but that is simply not promotion from this division to the Prem. Otherwise you are looking at Bowen who has been a part of but not the man in charge of Berminghams promotion, Wales'' good form and Blackburn this season. Micky Adams unfortunately only has relegation on his track reccord. Joe Royal has a lot of experience and has taken clubs places previously but taking him on would be putting faith in the fact that he can still do it.

And that last point really sums it up for me - Worthington gained promotion to the premiership only two seasons ago, compared to any of the guys mentioned he is surely closer to being able to repeat that than they are? As mentioned Newell is the only one to have had that sort of success recently and is he capable of doing it at this level? We know Worthington is capable because he has done it before - thats fact not guesswork.
[/quote]

Gary Megson obtained promotion twice from this level and you wouldnt want him!!!!

"compared to any of the guys mentioned he is surely closer to being able to repeat that than they are? " - No he isnt - with a stack of money more than Glen Hoddle has spent (around 1.8 million this season thats all - thats lots of money in this division!!)....  Worthy has Failed!!

Glenn Hoddle did it at Swindon

Graham Taylor did it at Watford

Neil Warnock managed it at Sheffield United

Mick Mccarthy managed it at Sunderland

Dave Jones did it at Wolves and he did equally well at wolves as worthy managed here  33 points in the prem....

Mickey Adams did it at Leicester (and has more promotions in lower leagues under his belt, he is currently turning Coventry around)

George Burley Did it at Ipswich (and is turning Southampton around now, turned Derby around, and started Hearts great season - Norwich are getting worse at the moment not better!!  He signed Finidi, Worthy signed Andy Hughes (No 1 target))

Billy Davies came from a scottish club......  I agree it isnt an easy decision, but there ARE GOOD candidates around  doing GOOD jobs at other clubs. with records of doing good jobs at clubs whom may be able to FRESHEN up the situation at carrow road.  We only need the board to find ONE good candidate.

I would be very happy to have any of the smiley people in charge, along with Dave Jones, Alex Mcgleish, Bobby Robson or probably candidates I havent even thought of.

WE ARE UNDERACHEIVING AT THE MOMENT that is OBVIOUS and money is being thrown at the situation to ZERO effect.  Something has to change.  We have tried changing the playing staff - It hasnt worked.  We havent tried any new tactics or the like - NOT WORTHY''S WAY!!!

worst of all - this all mirrors what happened in worthys only other managerial job at blackpool where he turned them from being on the verge of the play-offs to getting relegated!!

Something has to change, plenty of managers would love the chance to push this side up teh league. plenty of managers appreciate SKILL and ABILITY not just WORK RATE and LAPS ON THE TRAINING FIELD.

Its time for the board to make the right choice for a new man to start moving this club forwards again!! 

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Marty Said: "I think you''ll find lots of good championship managers will be hankering for a job in the premiership or at bigger Championship clubs. Don''t get me wrong, Norwich are not a small club but they simply don''t have the lure that some clubs do. In you list of managers I notice lots have been sacked in the past, does that mean they are good or bad? To me it is just the managerial merry go round, in other words they may not be any better than what we have got. I am not saying I am totally adversed to the idea of a new manager but I am against the idea of change for the sake of change, we have seen in the past that this policy does not always work. So how much bigger than Luton are we? the only reason mike newel would come here is if we offered more money, not because we are a sleeping giant. OK we do get good crowds but so do Sheffield Wednesday and how many top managers are clambering over themselves for that job.

I do agree some of the managers you list sound potentially good, like say Martin Allen, but he is still young and inexperienced."

We are a large championship club with the highest attendances in the championship - full houses week in week out, some great players at this level, a patient board that backs its manager in terms of money and time....   what more will does a manager want??  Sheff wednesday are broke - we are on a stable financial footing, with perhaps a couple of million to spend in the summer - a fair amount in this division.  And a decent squad of players (if still unbalanced and needing tinkering with)

If we offered Mike Newell the job he would take it - I for one wouldnt be surprised if either He, Phil Parkinson or Steve Tilson arrive here if worthy is removed.

[/quote]

its the little old Norwich nonsence that some have been brainwashed by the board into believing...

Even a group of people in the City Stand joined the worthy out chanting and they are usually quiet as mice, poor man next to me shouted so loud he lost his teeth [:D]

Peter Reid said he is looking to come back into Managing and would be looking at the Championship, had lots of offers already, but none he liked.

What do you think of him?   Too expensive?  I don''t honestly know.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Even a group of people in the City Stand joined the worthy out chanting and they are usually quiet as mice, poor man next to me shouted so loud he lost his teeth [:D][/quote]

you go to the city stand! - wht are''nt I suprised!!! Says it all!

[quote user="Silver Canary"][quote user="cityangel"]

Even a group of people in the City Stand joined the worthy out chanting and they are usually quiet as mice, poor man next to me shouted so loud he lost his teeth [:D][/quote]

you go to the city stand! - wht are''nt I suprised!!! Says it all!

[/quote]

Can I ask what you mean by this silver?