Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Worthy in een

I was disappointed at the manager taking a dig by highlighting that the first team squad next season will contain 11 players who have come through the ranks, in an attempt to deflect the lack of youth accusations.

The fact that 6 were signed this season , green was already on his way, and lewis &the jarvis brothers have yet to be given any consistent chance leaving only hendo and shackell (through gritted teeth) as players brought into the side from the academy in 5.5 years.  Justify that to me migel, and confirm we will see the likes of spillane, jarvis'' lewis and eagles get a real chance then you words will loose their hollow tone.

So 11 youth products available and a time to experiment yet we see fleming back in the starting line up and charlie on the bench - thats really experimenting isnt it?

How about making colin earn his contract for next year or seeing how cave brown does in a game that counts for nothing.  No sign of rossi jarvis or others - just shows what our manager really thinks of the youth telent we really have.  

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

So 11 youth products available and a time to experiment yet we see fleming back in the starting line up and charlie on the bench - thats really experimenting isnt it?

How about making colin earn his contract for next year or seeing how cave brown does in a game that counts for nothing.  No sign of rossi jarvis or others - just shows what our manager really thinks of the youth telent we really have.  

[/quote]

Totally agree Zipper.  I went to Cardiff today hoping to see some fresh faces on display but I just got the same old, same old in a game that very little riding on it.  There should have been some experimenting  and I don''t mean with a 4-5-1 formation.

Worthington had a real chance today to give experience to some youngsters and learn a bit more about how they handle first team football.  What can he learn for next season by playing Flem at right back?  Don''t get me wrong Flem has been a great servant to the club but he is not the future and is no doubt close to the end of his days with City.  Ryan Jarvis sat on the bench all day and Henderson got brought on at the end, in right midfield again, what a waste!

The ultimate kick in the teeth for any young players at the club was no doubt the fact that a player who has been told he will be leaving next month gets on the bench ahead of them.  What is the point????!!!!!

Got to completely agree with you. Congratulations to Norwich for winning a meaningless game and missing the opportunity to prepare young players for next season! If I was a young player at Norwich I would really think what is the point, Worthless will never give them a go! Probably helped produce such a poor academy because players would rather go to clubs who give youngsters a chance. Worthy move on and go! It has got to the point where we have won but no one is pleased!

Was it really such a meaningless game?

Last week everyone was pointing to the 2-0 scoreline as more evidence Worthy should go. If we had lost yesterday then it would have been the same. I guess none of these games are meaningless to Worthy as he is fighting for his job. Finishing 7th is better than finishing 11th.

Also aren''t 3 of our right backs injured including Spillane? Who should we have played there apart from Flemming?

I would be more sympathetic to the calls for the inclusion of youth if there were any evidence that the fickle fans would stick by the youngsters after they had made a couple of mistakes. For example, Henderson''s  progress has been greatly inhibited from some of the mindless treatment he has been given.

Young players need to be nurtured and certainly not thrown into the hostile atmosphere we saw against QPR.

Henderson has not been helped by his manager repeatedly playing him out of position, nor by the club''s inability to arrange for him to go out on loan somewhere to get a better standard of football than merely reserves....that said, he still looks far too lightweight...  

[quote user="Getting off the fence"]

For example, Henderson''s  progress has been greatly inhibited from some of the mindless treatment he has been given.

[/quote]

exactly fence, the way he has only ever been played out of position at right wing is just staggering.  A typical well thought out decision from negative nigel.

There does seem to be a concerted PR exercise by the club regarding the youth policy given that Ricky Martin was "defending" the record of the Academy, I was not aware that anybody was questioning the success of the Acamedy, more Nigel Worthingtons reluctance to tap into what appears to be a rich source of talent. The whole purpose of an academy is to enable less well off clubs to find and nuture talent, thus saving money on transfer fees. I accept that playing against lads of you own age is easier than playing against seasoned professionals in a tough, physical league (unless you are extremely talented like Wayne Rooney), but how will we ever find out if they are "man enough" unless they are given a chance ?. I also except that finishing 7th is better than 11th but would question whether the difference in the prize money is actually worth more than giving the youngster a chance.

I fear that when Worthington is finally shown the door, we will have plenty of youth team players in the side. It will be all that we will be able to afford, after we have bought out the contracts of the over-rated and over-paid journeymen that he has bought (Huckerby, of course, exepted).