Sign in to follow this  
Mike Walker

Is Worthy turning it round?

Ok, here''s a loaded question if there ever was one.Is Nigel Worthington starting to turn the team around? We have now 7 wins in the last 12.I don''t like the way we play football, in fact, I hate it if you can call if football. But the results do seem to be improving.Discuss...

I presume that this is firmly "tongue in cheek," however, it is the type of statement that is better avoided as it may influence some of the more feeble minded who visit the site.

It cannot help us that Worthington has won an away game at last and posts suggesting a "turn around" despite humorous intent are counter-productive. Can other posters please avoid similar adolescent humour.

Was just looking at the form tables and coming to the rather surprising conclusion that the results of the last 13 games since the Ipswich defeat are good enough to get promotion.  If repeated over a full season a total of around 85 to 88 points , I think.

of course he is''nt - cardif do''nt care - theyve nothing to play for - this is just a KTF post trying to make worthy look good. Even worthy ca''nt lose evry match!!!

[quote user="Mike Walker"]Ok, here''s a loaded question if there ever was one.

Is Nigel Worthington starting to turn the team around? We have now 7 wins in the last 12.

I don''t like the way we play football, in fact, I hate it if you can call if football. But the results do seem to be improving.

Discuss...
[/quote] For me it''s not just about winning games that suggests Worthy is turning the team around. Ok the results are improving but our style of play and the signings he''s made are shocking are shocking. With this kind of football we will always lose to the better sides and consequently won''t pick up enough points to get promoted. Worthy out....NOW!!!!

yes, actually, i think he is turning it around. my personal feeling is that worthington''s main shortcoming is that, although signing the correct players, he fails to get new players to gel into the team for far too long. this has been evident with nearly all his signings last season, and also with the likes of hughes and etuhu. i think next season we stand a very good chance as long as we don''t go overboard with a squad overhaul. just get in one real quality centre mid player, and strengthen the right side. and buy johansson. the most important thing, though, is getting our 12th man (the fans) back again, because i believe this has been the greatest reason for our failings this season, not the decisions of worthy, however suspect at times.

[quote user="Kolin Kob"]yes, actually, i think he is turning it around. my personal feeling is that worthington''s main shortcoming is that, although signing the correct players, he fails to get new players to gel into the team for far too long. this has been evident with nearly all his signings last season, and also with the likes of hughes and etuhu. i think next season we stand a very good chance as long as we don''t go overboard with a squad overhaul. just get in one real quality centre mid player, and strengthen the right side. and buy johansson. the most important thing, though, is getting our 12th man (the fans) back again, because i believe this has been the greatest reason for our failings this season, not the decisions of worthy, however suspect at times.[/quote]

hahahahhahahhaha, by playing a player booed at reading most of his career in 40 first team matches and playing left backs in midfield ahead of midfielders and playing strikers at right wing hasnt helped either.  Also our away support is fantastic unyet we have been awful away from home, not just in plain results but in no-shows and dire performances when the players collected there money and went home....

[quote user="Kolin Kob"]yes, actually, i think he is turning it around. my personal feeling is that worthington''s main shortcoming is that, although signing the correct players, he fails to get new players to gel into the team for far too long. this has been evident with nearly all his signings last season, and also with the likes of hughes and etuhu. i think next season we stand a very good chance as long as we don''t go overboard with a squad overhaul. just get in one real quality centre mid player, and strengthen the right side. and buy johansson. the most important thing, though, is getting our 12th man (the fans) back again, because i believe this has been the greatest reason for our failings this season, not the decisions of worthy, however suspect at times.[/quote]

Another wind up. How on Earth can you call Hughes, Thorne, Etuhu, Robinson or Colin "the correct players"? I wouldn''t care less if none of them ever played for Norwich again.

And where would you play Johansson? Worthy clearly does not think he is good enough to play up front or on the right otherwise he would have been playing there.

Have to agree Dionysus...Kolin Kob certainly has a far rosier view of the squad than I do...

Hmmm, maybe it''s an anagram? Trying to make ''nigel worthington'' out of the letters...

This may be objective but

I too hate the football at the moment but as a firm WO i cant see any faction who will come out of this smelling of roses other than worthy .He took an average team up and then to the last day of the season when we were relegated .This season has not been good at all a total lack of creative passing football and a nonexistant midfield. But i hate to say this..... we are 7th not like southampton or that lot down the road.

For me he has to change both the coaching AND style of play

to sum up ,progress if any has been FAR too slow ,his record is abysmal,  we must now address all the problems in the close season (winger,midfield  and manager) etc if it means keeping him then he must be told that anything less than promotion is unacceptable and we do need to start winning away from home more.

I''m not sure about all of Worthy''s purchases either but they are not as bad as WO people like to insist. Thorne and Robinson have long track records in this division and have performed reasonably well. Not stars but useful squad players cheaply obtained. Colin and Etuhu were highly rated before coming here and were thought to be coups.

It has not worked out yet - maybe it never will - but it is not as if fortunes were spent on them. We have had many more expensive signings fail in the past - its football - it happens! If you don''t know this, you know very little!

Finally, I can remember Gunn (in particular) and Roberts getting stick when they first came to us - probably by many of today''s "boo boys" - or their parents - "Big Silver" or Big Wizard.

It takes time sometimes....

Now prepare yourself for the infantile comment that is likley to follow...

[quote user="Getting off the fence"]

I''m not sure about all of Worthy''s purchases either but they are not as bad as WO people like to insist. Thorne and Robinson have long track records in this division and have performed reasonably well. Not stars but useful squad players cheaply obtained. Colin and Etuhu were highly rated before coming here and were thought to be coups.

It has not worked out yet - maybe it never will - but it is not as if fortunes were spent on them. We have had many more expensive signings fail in the past - its football - it happens! If you don''t know this, you know very little!

Finally, I can remember Gunn (in particular) and Roberts getting stick when they first came to us - probably by many of today''s "boo boys" - or their parents - "Big Silver" or Big Wizard.

It takes time sometimes....

Now prepare yourself for the infantile comment that is likley to follow...

[/quote]

he could have done with picking up a right winger at some point this season..........  Billy davies found one for 250,000 in simon whalley in january.........

[quote user="londoncanary"]Does it matter how we win games or are the three points not good enough???[/quote]I can see the irony... But you won''t get through to most of the people on this board anymore. Only the "feeble minded", apparently.

[quote user="Ark"][quote user="londoncanary"]Does it matter how we win games or are the three points not good enough???[/quote]

I can see the irony... But you won''t get through to most of the people on this board anymore. Only the "feeble minded", apparently.
[/quote]

well london/ark, no the 3 points werent good enough....  Yes winning is all that matters, but to see a team hoofing it up to a dwarf is somewhat mindknumbing....

Do you really think you would EVER see norwich city hitting long balls up to a 5''5" striker again and again!!!

Having turned it around or turned a corner so many times already this season does nigel know what direction he wants to take us anymore?  Many more corners turned and I have a vision of him getting as far as the thickthorn roundabout and staying on it for a whole season...

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

no the 3 points werent good enough....  Yes winning is all that matters

[/quote]And therein lies the contradiction.