Sign in to follow this  
Balham Yellow

Koumas - different class to anyone else on the pitch.

[quote user="Balham Yellow"]

According to reports I have read.

ie there wasn''t any quality shown by anybody else.  Another case of the result not telling all?

[/quote]

No City deserved the win, if only creating the best chance andthe back four playing well.

Koumas did kind of run the show but that will happen when you let a player like have have lots of time and space.

Which makes you wonder why he''s playing for a Championship side. Some lovely touches but I did wonder as he put in the third centre of the second half to an unpopulated part of the penalty area what our fans woud have said if one of our favourites had done it. Second thoughts probably blamed Worthy for having strikers in the wrong place

[quote user="Grumpy Mare"]Which makes you wonder why he''s playing for a Championship side. Some lovely touches but I did wonder as he put in the third centre of the second half to an unpopulated part of the penalty area what our fans woud have said if one of our favourites had done it. Second thoughts probably blamed Worthy for having strikers in the wrong place[/quote]

jason Koumas 13 goals 16 assists this season....  Anyway, why is rob earnshaw playing for a championship side??

He was totally anonymous down here in November.

All the match reports I have read summarise the game thus

• Cardiff start the game well
  • Their defenders makes a mistake and Hughes feeds Earnie to score - applause from Cardiff fans too even though against run of play.
  • City sit back with 10 men behind the ball
  • City play on the break quite well looking dangerous without really threatening
  • Cardiff lack penetration to break down our block defence.
  • Jones claimed Koumas the one class act
  • Jones claimed his central defenders havent had a quiter game all season

Those who were there would this reading be wrong and could I assume that

• Koumas looks good when given time and space on the ball but didnt actually have enough ability to hurt us
  • this was a sheff utd type defensive display  
  • it shows just how important it is for us to score first (which we have done enough of this season) as we are then defensively sound and with Earnie/Hux pace we can break effectively?

If we can snatch more three points like this next season but it be one of our poor performances rather than one of the better one we would be in the play offs - all those ifs again.

Anyway - Koumas is overrated for me - any midfielder who came here this season and was anonymous against our efforts isnt wortht a bean.

ZLF - I listened to the commentary and it sounded just like your summary, but I''ve learned that the commentaries can be misleading so I''d like to know how it really was too. Reading between the lines of Goreham and Adams, 2 things came across - firstly, Koumas shone because he had space and time on the ball, doubtless because Robinson and Etuhu gave him it, and secondly that there is a definite tactic, when we go a goal up, of defending deeper and dropping the midfield back nearer to the back four, resulting in desperate defensive clearances (because there was no-one upfield within safe passing distance), which allowed Cardiff to regain possession immediately and attack again. How naive, or stupid, is that?

One other thing - Robinson is not strong enough, character-wise, for his position. He''s too scared of doing something wrong to do much at all. He had what sounded like a good goal scoring opportunity, but chose to pass sideways instead. It''s a pity, because he has good ball skills. I can imagine he''s one of those who shines in training, but he sure-under-performs in matches. Give me Hughes any day.

ZLF,  In honesty we allowed Koumas to dictate the game but when he got into key area''s of our defence he kind of fluffed his lines.  He pulled the strings nicely UNTIL the final third of field and then he seemed to fall short in his efforts.  Whether this is down to lack of ability or just an off day, I don''t know but his scoring and assist rate this year is quite high.  In all the defence played well, maybe not as well as against Sheff U but well enough to keep a blunt Cardiff attack at bay.

Old Boy, From what I have seen all year there does seem to be a tactic of the midfield sitting right in front of the defence.  It allows the opposition to get deep in our half before they face a challenge and far too often we just back off rather than challenge.  I also think it''s a fair assessment to say that Robinson does every simple to avoid doing something wrong.  He did a couple of through balls on Saturday but he appeared to go a "dizzy".

Maybe a confidence thing - maybe he doesnt want to make a mistake incase he ends up being the next player to get stick all of the way through a match ala Hughes!

I was there, and I agree with your second summary of what you assume.

I just wish we had performed as we did at Cardiff on other away days this season!! Rather than being out of it in the first 20 minutes!!!

And Yes a mass of what if''s

OK, it was not exactly cut and thrust, but I would say it was a thoroughly profesional performance, just what we need in this league on a more regular basis next season.

The Future is Bright , the future is Yellow!!!!

OTBC 

As for Koumas, I do not doubt him to be a very good player, having said that I could have looked good given the time and possesion he had,I will say that when he needed to give the telling ball , we closed him down or he made a hash. Well done Boys!!  

[quote user="Nigels Tic-Tacs"]Worthless  does not rate him , well he has skill so he wouldnt would he .[/quote] Of course he doesn''t - Worthy doesn''t understand skill or talent - just work ethic!

[quote user="chicken"]Maybe a confidence thing - maybe he doesnt want to make a mistake incase he ends up being the next player to get stick all of the way through a match ala Hughes!
[/quote]

I''ve no doubt that you''re right, chicken - he wants to stay out of the firing line. If you focus on any player in any match you''ll see a good number of mistakes. It''s unreasonable to expect otherwise, but then people who are boo their own players are beyond reason. Anyway, since Hoozie''s taking the flak, Robinson should use him for cover! At the moment, there''s no doubt that Hughes is more valuable to the team than Robinson - for one thing he''s had a couple of goal assists.

Ask Bryan Robson , Gary Megson and some of the West Brom squad how highly they rate Koumas.

He''s a disruptive influence who plays when he feels like it.As others have said , he''s a luxury player who can only go in one direction on the pitch and can we really afford another one of those ?

For all his faults I''d take Hucks every time even though he lacks Koumas''s creative qualities.

[quote user="Old Boy"]

[quote user="chicken"]Maybe a confidence thing - maybe he doesnt want to make a mistake incase he ends up being the next player to get stick all of the way through a match ala Hughes!
[/quote]

I''ve no doubt that you''re right, chicken - he wants to stay out of the firing line. If you focus on any player in any match you''ll see a good number of mistakes. It''s unreasonable to expect otherwise, but then people who are boo their own players are beyond reason. Anyway, since Hoozie''s taking the flak, Robinson should use him for cover! At the moment, there''s no doubt that Hughes is more valuable to the team than Robinson - for one thing he''s had a couple of goal assists.

[/quote]

yeah 2 assists and 2 goals from midfield in 40 games - fantastic!!

He''s very hot headed from what I hear and sounds like on Saturday he should have been sent off, for all his talent I think he''s too much of a liability

[quote user="UEA Canary"]He''s very hot headed from what I hear and sounds like on Saturday he should have been sent off, for all his talent I think he''s too much of a liability
[/quote]

rather than just being a liability whom gives the ball away cos he cant pass, tackle or shoot

[quote]rather than just being a liability whom gives the ball away cos he cant pass, tackle or shoot[/quote]Well being a forward player Im not surprised he can''t tackle neither can huckerby, I knew hes a bit of an individual player hence the lack of passing but then Earnie isn''t one for passing either and I always thought he had a good eye for goal but then I havnt seen too much of him.

One point that no one has mentioned thus far is that according to the commentary, Koumas committed a number of nasty fouls and should have got a straight red, two or more yellows.and was lucky to finish the match.

We don''t want a team of choir boys but do we want someone who is reckless/dirty? 

[quote user="UEA Canary"][quote]rather than just being a liability whom gives the ball away cos he cant pass, tackle or shoot[/quote]

Well being a forward player Im not surprised he can''t tackle neither can huckerby, I knew hes a bit of an individual player hence the lack of passing but then Earnie isn''t one for passing either and I always thought he had a good eye for goal but then I havnt seen too much of him.
[/quote]

Nah he has a great range of passing, scores 1 in 5 (not bad for a midfielder) and has ability by the bucketload.  Not a worthy type of player.

[quote]Nah he has a great range of passing, scores 1 in 5 (not bad for a

midfielder) and has ability by the bucketload.  Not a worthy type of

player.[/quote]ah my bad, I misunderstood what you were saying earlier, I thought you were refering to koumas when you actually meant our current midfield e.g. hughes. Your right yes it is more of liability to have players who arn''t very good, I would certainly replace hughes, with him but at the same time we want to be careful not to have a player who may cause team problems or get himself sent off too much.

[quote user="UEA Canary"][quote]Nah he has a great range of passing, scores 1 in 5 (not bad for a midfielder) and has ability by the bucketload.  Not a worthy type of player.[/quote]

ah my bad, I misunderstood what you were saying earlier, I thought you were refering to koumas when you actually meant our current midfield e.g. hughes. Your right yes it is more of liability to have players who arn''t very good, I would certainly replace hughes, with him but at the same time we want to be careful not to have a player who may cause team problems or get himself sent off too much.

[/quote]

Jason Koumas

2005/2006 5 yellows

2004/2005 4 yellows

2003/2004 5 yellows 3 Reds

2002/2003 4 yellows

2001/2002 9 yellows

2000/2001 4 yellows 1 Red

1999/2000 5 yellows

1998/1999 4 yellows

I am not sure he would be the answer, but in a 5 man midfield he certainly would be a creative influence we lack in the centre

Erny

Hucks, Robinson, Safri, Koumas, McVeigh

Drury, Shacks, The Doc, That luton guy

Gallacher

Not a bad side, not sure erny is ideal up top but teh midfield can pass a ball...

Thats quite a record although not quite sure how bad that is any possible comparisons? Maybe worthy can work his magic on him and turn him into a model player...[quote]I am not sure he would be the answer, but in a 5 man midfield he certainly would be a creative influence we lack in the centre[/quote]I think anything is the answer to hughes, I agree with the lineup but not sure about the 4-5-1 probably work well for away games would prefer a 4-4-2 drop Robinson and put Leon up front with Earnie