Sign in to follow this  
nickswfc

Owls Vs Canaries help!

Hey,I''m the editor of the SWFC website Vital Sheffield Wednesday.Each week I do a Q & A to learn a little more about our next opponents - which happens to be your good selves this season!Would anyone be able to answer my questions below for the site? They don''t have to be essay length but quite in depth. If not, I could use the answers from a number of people and put them all together!Anyway I''ll leave them here for you lot to answer, and good luck on Saturday - should be a good game (5-0 to you last time was it?) An example is linked below:http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=15267Cheers!Nick

1. Should you have made the play-offs this season?

2. Is this season a big dissapointment to you after

being in the Premiership last term?

3. What are your thoughts on Nigel

Worthington?

4. Were you right to sell Deon Ashton?

5. And hows his replacement, Robert Earnshaw,

doing?

6. Your away form doesn''t seem too cracking - any

reason for this?

7. Who are your danger men?

8. If you could take one Wednesday player to

Norwich who would it be and why?

9. If you could send one Norwich player to

Wednesday who would it be and why?

10. What''s your most memorable Owls V Canaries

match?

11. Do you think Wednesday will stay

up?

12. What do you think the score will

be?

1. Should you have made the play-offs this season? Yes, with Ashton Green Huckerby Safri and co we had the players

2. Is this season a big dissapointment to you after being in the Premiership last term?  A Huge Letdown

3. What are your thoughts on Nigel Worthington? He did a good job but since promotion has been found out of hi depth.  A limited manager no more who relies on Work Rate and Commitment over ability.   His signings this season have been DIRE 

His favorite comments include:

I dont like flicks and Tricks

January was an average month (we got one draw and knocked out of the cup!!!)

4. Were you right to sell Deon Ashton? He wanted to leave and we got a good price. Its a shame we didnt build a team around him and werent contending. 

5. And hows his replacement, Robert Earnshaw, doing? We hoof it and he is a midget, judge for yourself (he has scored a few in spite of us not playing to his strengths, shows the capabilities of the player)

6. Your away form doesn''t seem too cracking - any reason for this?  Appalling tactics, negative attitude and we capitulate easily

7. Who are your danger men?  Huckerby and McVeigh 

8. If you could take one Wednesday player to Norwich who would it be and why? Do you have a right winger??  Is he any good 

9. If you could send one Norwich player to Wednesday who would it be and why? Dickson Etuhu and Andy Hughes 1 million pounds of wasted money

10. What''s your most memorable Owls V Canaries match? winning 5-1 a few years ago!!!

11. Do you think Wednesday will stay up? Yes

12. What do you think the score will be? 1-1  dour draw

1. Yes with the squad we had at the start of season and resources

2. Yeah huge, many people expected automatic promotion so to not make top 6 is frustrating

3. Done a good job in first few years but has run out of steam and ideas, also has encouraged long ball football

4. I think yes because he wasn''t happy here and £7m is a lot of money

5. Hes scoring a decent amount of goals but isn''t getting any service

6. Poor tactics and poor players

7. Huckerby and Earnshaw

8. Glen Whelan or Burton O''Brien they look like they can pass unlike some of our players

9. Hughes, Etuhu or Thorne because they have no talent

10. 5-0 at hillsborough in 2003 i think it was

11. Yes because you have 3pts against us

12. Wh2-1 Wednesday

I''ve done an article for the OoTB fanzine, so I''ll happilly help you with that.

Probably, it was a requirement at the beginning of the season.

2. Is this season a big dissapointment to you after being in the Premiership last term?

Without a doubt! Considering the way this season has progressed and what the manager has done in terms of transfers and tactics, it''s been a complete travesty. Quite similar to last season in lots of ways.

3. What are your thoughts on Nigel Worthington?

I have immense respect for Nigel Worthington as a personality and the job he has done for NCFC, however, after the way the club has progressed over the past 12 months, I feel he should go. Every manager reaches their sell-by date and this is evident from what Worthington and his "team" have produced over the course of the season

4. Were you right to sell Dean Ashton?

Yes, his career was wasting away here. He didn''t use him properly if you get what I mean and our goalkeeper hoofed the ball high and long to him with little effect, further more, he never even had a winger to supply him with crosses. He wasted, so it was right he had to go in order to protect his career.

5. And hows his replacement, Robert Earnshaw, doing?

Not bad, would be doing much better if we weren''t hoofing the ball up to him, which, suffice to say, doesn''t work. Nice one, Worthy!

6. Your away form doesn''t seem too cracking - any reason for this?

I remember your former Manager Chris Turner talking about developing a losing culture, this is evident and it''s deeply affected our away form. There isn''t any excuse for our bad performances away from home

Earnshaw, McVeigh and Huckerby

8. If you could take one Wednesday player to Norwich who would it be and why?

Chris Brunt because he''s a right-winger and we need one. Franklin Simek because he''s a decent right-back and we don''t have one of those, oh, and Graeme Coughlan, because we need a solid defender to partner Jason Shackell, not someone like the inconsistent Gary Doherty

9. If you could send one Norwich player to Wednesday who would it be and why?

I hear that Paul Sturrock has made a few bloopers (Peter Gilbert, David Graham, anyone?) in the transfer market, so I wouldn''t put signing Dickson Etuhu beyond him.

10. What''s your most memorable Owls V Canaries match?

5 - 0 win at Hillsborough in December 2001

11. Do you think Wednesday will stay up?

Yes

12. What do you think the score will be?

A turgid 0 - 0

No way. We''re lucky to be as high up the league as we are.

2. Is this season a big dissapointment to you after being in the Premiership last term?

Big time. Even though we got beaten a lot last year, we played good football. We drew a lot of games, and if we''d have had Ashton from the start of the season would have stayed up. This year, we can''t even play.

Did a good job for us in his first 4 years. Started making some obvious errors of judgement last season. This season, has been shockingly bad manager. Has made at least 6 awful signings since we''ve been relegated, which have not only cost the club a lot of money up-front, but has turned us into an average Championship team. He has no idea of tactics, as demonstrated by his awful away record since he has been at the club. He cannot formuate a game plan.

Yes, he was too good for what we have now become - an average Championship team - and he knew it, so did not want to be here anymore. No point having a quality striker until defence and midfield sorted.

Not a direct replacement, even though bought as one. Was signed to appease the fans. We do not play to his strengths. Has scored reasonable amount of goals, and could prove to be a legend once we have a new manager who sorts the midfield.

Nigel Worthington.

Huckerby, Mckenzie (injured) and Earnie

No thanks.

Special offer: buy 1 get 5 free! Dickson Etuhu, Andy Hughes, Peter Thorne, Simon Charlton, Jason Jarrett, Carl Robinson 

Wednesday 0 Norwich 5

Yes

2-1 to Wednesday

Here goes mick,

1. Yes

2.  Yes

3.   Hoofball Merchant with defensive tactics and Signings

4.   Yes (Lazy, Fat, did''nt want to be here and missed loads he only scored 1 in 19 games barring a hat-trick against Southampton and that was just as the transfer window had opened! Coincidence) He also does''nt seem as fat, lazy and useless at West Ham.

5.   He would be great if we could give him the balll on the ground!

6.   Defensive tactics and a S***E manager our form reads won 30 from 133 games under Worthless! I think he has banned the players from taking there favourite teddy with them as they look like they are sulking most the time!

7.   Hucks is about it, Earnie will probably be on the bench and we dont have a right! this means you can treble up on Hucks and win the game!

Thats about all I can be bothered with now as I am depressed, hope it helps and that you take our manager back at the end of the game and end our misery!

Based on our performances definitely not - we deserve to be where we are, if not lower in the table;  given the talent in the squad we should have been pushing for a play off spot all season.   That we have scraped to 10th playing so badly tells me how far we have underperformed in a relatively weak championship.      

Yes - the worst part for me is the fact we are uncompetetive in far too many games and fail to make the most of skillful players by marginalising them and relying on a long ball game that plays to our weaknesses and not our strengths.

A decent bloke but the wrong manager to take the club forward to the next stage.  His limitations were exposed last season and magnified this - how any manager can hope to go through a season with just 4 midfielders is staggering in its naivety and incompetence. Thanks for all you have done Nige,  but you should have left in the autumn.  The fact he can tolerate a performance like that at Preston last week as acceptable when it was another away day embarrassment show how far out of touch he is.

Given our poor league position (our promotion challenge was over by Nov) it was inevitable that he left.   Had we been competetive then selling would have been harder to justify - but in the circumstances was the right thing to do. 

OK all things considered - why we spent £2.75m on a 5 foot 5 striker when we play the long ball game is beyond me. 

The managers away record is shocking - something like 30 wins in 5 seasons, with 10 of those in our champs year.  Whether its motivational, phsycological, prepartion or tactics is impossible to say.  We had 6000+ fans at Fulham on teh last day of last season yet once again the boys in yellow simply did not turn up.  Given the number of changesin players over that time you have to suspect the manager for failing to get the players to perform away. 

Clearly Huckerby who can scare any team on his day, and Earnie can also score given a chance,  but our problem this year has been getting the ball to them.   The injured ''We love you'' Paul McVeigh has been influential this season too. 

Given our shocking midfield probably McGovern.

No surprise to the posters on this site I would say Captain Clapper himself - Andy Hughes.   Appalling distributon all season, runs for ever yet as capable at tackling as Paul Scholes, yet remains a first choice. 

Early 80s, last game of the season sity needed a win for promotion back to the old div 1.   We lost only to hear Leicester failed to overtake us.   Cue superb coach trip home!

Yes  - with Brighton, Derby and ourselves to come I think you will get too many points for Crewe to catch up. 

0-0 or 1-1.   Too much tension from Wednesday players while city provide an improved performance now playoffs have finally been lost.

ZippersLeftFoot

[quote user="nickswfc"]

[/quote]

1. Yes. The talent, the resources and the history of the club should have meant we made the play offs at least.

2. Exceptionally. We expected much better than this, not because we were in the Premiership, but because the football we played was neat, passing football. We at least expected to be entertained this season.

3. Nigel is a manager who has taken us as far as he can, but should leave now. His decisions, his comments and his purchases are all very questionable, and his inability to motivate the team has been very compromised.

4. Yes. He didn''t want to be here anymore. Not to mention £7.25mil for an overweight, lazeabout like him who can barely get going once every three games is a very nice price.

5. He looks the business. Every time he''s received the ball as he likes it has resulted in a goal. Unfortunatly, he never receives the ball as he likes it more than once every other match due to the muppets around him.

6. No idea. I suspect it is from last season. We went an entire season without a win, and it''s simply hung over us. We need to dispel our away fears, quickly.

7. Darren Huckerby. If left alone or opposed by a slow right back, he will create and cause havoc.

8. Glenn Whelan. Looks a very good prospect in the center.

9. Andy Hughes was my initial reaction - but quite honestly I wouldn''t be so cruel! No, Ryan Jarvis. Ryan is a fabulous prospect, and I''d love to see him playing regular football for a decent Championship team. But I doubt he''d get a game with Deon Burton doing so well!

10. Memorable Owls v Canaries match? Hmmmm .... Probably our 5-0 meeting.

11. Yes. You''ve got a very good strike force, with a bit of defensive tinkerings, you''ll make mid table next season. Not to mention you''re playing us at home - gifted three points.

12. 3-1 to you.

1. At the start of the season I would have said yes, without doubt, but when seeing the summer signings, we in truth deserve to be lower then we are.

2. We have got we were deserved, only on one occassion have we actually won comfortably, against Southampton, at home we have been lucky, away, we have been shocking. So it has been a let down but with the standard of football we have been playing, we should be lower.

3. He did a good job, got us promotion but this season has been awful, and his signings have been shocking, along with tactics, which incorporate work ethic and no style, his time has come to say goodbye.

4. Yes, seven million was a job well done. Ashton didn''t want to be here, and throughout the season he lacked any conviction or fitness in his play.

5. Robert Earnshaw has done well, the sevice from midfield has been shocking, so the poor guy hasn''t really had a chance.

6. We have a midfield that is so easy to over run, along with shocking tactics.

7 Huckerby, Mcveigh, and Earnshaw.

8. Don''t know many of your current team, but back in the day would take a Waddle, and a Sheridan.

9. Andy Hughes, everything that is bad about our season, our main summer target has shocking ability, can''t pass, tackle, please take him. With him in our side next season it will be another dire season.

10. Has to be the 5-0 a few years ago, with a holt screamer.

11. Yes because you have a guarenteed 3 points on saturday.

12 Sheffield Wed 3 Norwich City 0

1.  with the players/money , no, it should have been automatic promotion !

2. a massive dissapointment !

3. ****** !  ( he would be more liked at sheff utd )

4. yes, good money, but if it were not for worthington and we would have been in contention for promotion and he would have still been here.

5. not bad, would do very well if we started to play footie again instead of worthy hoofing tactics.

6. worthington. no tactics, plays shocking players.. ie.. hughes, etutu, robinson, hoof, hoof , hoof

7. robert green, ( longest /highest kick at the club)

8. can we have a coach/manager instead ?

9.  andy hughes ,   watch him !  10 out of 10 for effort, but he must be the most expensive pub player ever !

10. when you beat us 4-1 ( i think ) in the fa cup a few years ago, i got so ****** !

11 , yes ,  3 points for you against us should help

12  2-0 wednesday

cheers. andy smith

Play-offs were the very least we could have hoped for.  We had some of the best players in the league going into the start of the season and expectations were high. Unfortunately, the new players that were brought in to fill the gaps were way below standard, and have bizarrely stayed in the team despite this.

Definitely.

I certainly don''t think its possible for a manager to turn bad overnight, but I do think its possible that they run out of ideas and go as far as they can with one club.  This is what has happened with Nigel. We''ve had some great times under him, however its time to move on. So long, and thanks for all the fish...

Given the respective league positions of Norwich and West Ham at the time, I don''t think we had much choice.  Dean is a fantastic player with fully justified England ambitions, and wallowing in mid-table of the Championship was going to do his career no good.  And considering we got twice what we paid for him just one year ago, it makes good business sense.

He''s something of a panic buy once Worthy realised he''d done nothing with the Ashton cash, but there''s no doubting his quality.  He''s scored a few so far, but been on the bench for tactical reasons far too often for a £3m striker.  Could unfortunately just be a case of the right man at the wrong time.

Hard to put your finger on it really - we just don''t travel well.  Be it negative (Burnley) or simply misguided (Reading) tactics, we just don''t seem to get it right.

Despite a relatively quiet season, Huckerby is still a threat on his day and deserves more than to be relegated to a left midfield place where he is forced to track back.

Brunt, without a doubt.  So skillfull on the ball, and can strike it too, he''s the midfielder we''ve lacked this season.

I''d like to say Carol Robinson, but I''d rather save him to send to Ipswich, so you can have Hughes instead.

I wasn''t there, but the 5-0 away win has to feature highly.  The game at Carrow Road this season is nothing short of instantly forgettable, from our point of view.  I saw better football at a Sunday league game the day after...

I''m not sure.  Crewe seem to be doing their Houdini act for the second year running, but considering you''ve got Norwich this weekend, I think you''re safe to expect a home win!

I''m going to be pessimistic and say 1-0 to Wednesday.

Nick

1. Should you have made the play-offs this season?  in an ideal world, with the team we have on paper - yes.

2. Is this season a big dissapointment to you after

being in the Premiership last term?  the manner of our return has diasppointed most - a reliance on direct hoofball. 

3. What are your thoughts on Nigel

Worthington?  he''s served city well - but in the best interest of NCFC he should move on.

4. Were you right to sell Deon Ashton?  no choice, he wanted to go, and after what he''s already acheived at west ham, who could blame him?

5. And hows his replacement, Robert Earnshaw,

doing?  sharp, natural goalscorer - suffering from an appalling lack of service.

6. Your away form doesn''t seem too cracking - any

reason for this?  apart from championship winning year, our away form under worthy has always been poor.

7. Who are your danger men?  the doc and shackell - always liable to score own goals!

8. If you could take one Wednesday player to

Norwich who would it be and why? computer says no.

9. If you could send one Norwich player to

Wednesday who would it be and why?  computer says too much choice.

10. What''s your most memorable Owls V Canaries

match?  losin at home this season, shouting worthy out and getting evil stares back.

11. Do you think Wednesday will stay

up? possibly.

12. What do you think the score will

be?  3-1 to city.

1. Should you have made the play-offs this season? Yes, we had the foundations of a very strong squad, because we didnt sell any of our better players after relegation. Unfortunately, we built around the strong core with a load of rubbish.

2. Is this season a big dissapointment to you after being in the Premiership last term? Yes, we knew it wouldnt be easy, but the squad we had and then the money we have spent since last summer makes it all the more dissapointing. I could have coped with missing out, but we know that if we had an average season performance wise, the play offs would have been easy to reach. The dissapointing thing is that most performances, even wins have been dire.

3. What are your thoughts on Nigel Worthington? He has lost the plot. He did well 2/3 years ago, but his luck has run out. His tactics are poor, he thinks robert earnshaw will win as much in the air as Dean ashton and refuses to use highly rated academy players. Sack him now.  www.worthyout.co.uk is worth a look.

4. Were you right to sell Deon Ashton? Yes, because he deserved better than us. We lacked his ambition, and so i understand why he wanted out. If he wanted to go, we couldnt stand in his way. its a shame we brought a player completely opposite to him as a direct replacement.

5. And hows his replacement, Robert Earnshaw, doing? OK, he has 4 goals but not bad considering we constantly hoof the ball to him when he''s only 5 foot tall. He looks the business if you give him the ball to his feet and into space. He''ll do well, with a new manager.

6. Your away form doesn''t seem too cracking - any reason for this? Nigel Worthington. He is too defensive, gets his tactics all wrong etc etc.

7. Who are your danger men? Darren huckerby on his day, but doesnt usually get the ball away from home. Mcveigh and safri inform are good but both injured at the moment.  Delia, if she gets on the booze before the game.

8.If you could bring one wednesday player to Norwich who would it be and why? As someone said any decent right winger! Brunt has also impressed me, can''t think of many of your players.

9. If you could send one Norwich player to Wednesday who would it be and why? Can''t pick one, there is so much crap. Etuhu, robinson, charlton, thorne, hughes, colin to name a few. Probably etuhu though, he cant passs, tacke , shoot or do anything you would expect from a midfielder.

10. What''s your most memorable Owls V Canaries match?   The game at carrow road in 2003/04. it was so memorable i cant remember the score. I didnt get to the recentish 5-1 win at hillsborough.

11. Do you think Wednesday will stay up? Yes, because you have 3 certain points on saturday.

12. What do you think the score will be? I''m going to be positive and predict only a 2-0 defeat for norwich!