Sign in to follow this  
Silver Canary

Worthington - our worst manager of all time?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Agreed Beds - he has been more successful than the majority of managers and one of only a handful to get us promoted. 

I have never been fond of his style of football and always challenged his tactics but his achievements are in the record books and he is part of the reason that the club is a million miles away of the situation it found itself in 10 or even just 6 years ago.

That does not change my opinion that he does need to be changed immediately. 

[/quote]

Will all KTFs stop posing as fans and stop posting there stupid views so that real fans can have there say!

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Silver Canary, may I ask how old you are?[/quote]

Old enopugh to no that Worthy is not are best ever manager like you or one of you''re KTF friends said!!

[quote user="Silver Canary"]

Old enopugh to no that Worthy is not are best ever manager like you or one of you''re KTF friends said!!

[/quote]

Its obviously past your bed-time and you''re getting grumpy... happens with toddlers, you know...

While I would like to see a change in management, I think it is counter-productive to get all hysterical about Worthington''s ability as a manager. Why? Because there is no denying that Worthington has had some great successes in the past. Let''s face it, we all enjoyed getting to the play-off final, and winning the Championship. Even our little winning run at the end of the Premiership season counts for something. But sadly, overall these achievements have been undone by the two seasons of failure on the pitch and in the transfer market. There has been a chronic lack of long term planning, and once the parachute payments run out the club will be back to square one.In a way, this is why I would prefer to see Worthington depart now. While I still have some respect for his achievements. I don''t want to see him desperately cling on to the manager''s job as the team goes into further decline.

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"][quote user="Saint Canary"]

Again, yet another stupid thread that detracts from any serious WO debate.

Hamilton or  Rioch maybe????

[/quote] I see the fact that''s its a stupid thread didn''t stop you from replying though!!! ;-)

Worthington is no-where near as bad as Walker (second time), Rioch or Hamilton. He has done a lot for this club but as people have said he has outstayed his welcome. He took Norwich to the prem but once we were relegated, his time in charge should have come to an end. Sometimes a manager simply can''t take a club any further and staying merely serves to undo the good work already done!

[/quote]

When was the last time Worthy had back to back 5 nil wins Alex?.

Walker (blessings on his name) the second time around did,  then little miss piggy went and sacked him!.

Just like today she is provning clueles over football!.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Silver Canary"]

[/quote]

Its obviously past your bed-time and you''re getting grumpy... happens with toddlers, you know...

[/quote]

Its only 10.30! You are very patronising to younger fans - you don''t have to in you''re 30s to be loyal fan you know? Most of my frends in class post on this website to - so you are the odd one out!!

Let me say firstly I am 100% in the WO camp, as I believe he has taken the club as far as he can. However, I can’t believe anyone in their right mind would say Worthy is our worst ever manager!! He saved us from relegation, got us to a play off final & stormed to the division 1 title in style. The reason there were no protests when Hamilton was in charge is because we didn’t have the same expectation levels then. Why do we have higher levels of expectation now? Because Worthy has raised the bar by being successful. We could finish 7th this year, which will go down as a dreadful season because we were expecting to pi*s the league again this time around. If Hamilton had finished 7th we would have patted him on the back & said keep up the good work. Before you all say Worthy has had lots more money to spend, this is mainly due to him getting us promotion & reaping the rewards of Sky TV money & his successful spell didn’t include millions of pounds being spent. Don’t forget he also made us a quick, big profit in buying & selling Deano.

So the answer to your question is no, he’s not the worst manager ever because IMO Rioch, Hamilton & Megson all underachieved in Comparison to Worthy.

[quote user="BedsCanary"]

I can''t believe the dross that appears on this message board. This thread is an absolute joke.

With the exception of the Fulham debacle and this season - Worthington has been one of our best ever managers after all he''s achieved. Things may have gone sour and it may be time for a change, but he is by no means our worst manager ever, not by a long shot.

[/quote]

What hope is there!! How stupid do you have to be to see Worthless as one of our best ever managers! And if he is so good why do you want to get rid of him! KTFs should get there own website (howabout - www.idontknow what iam talkingbaout.com) and leave this to loyal fans.

Worthless out

" When was the last time Worthy had back to back 5 nil wins Alex?.

Walker (blessings on his name) the second time around did,  then little miss piggy went and sacked him!.

Just like today she is provning clueles over football!. "

Has Worthless ever won 5 - 0? I cant remember

Well, I have seen us play under 16 Managers, since Archie Macauley in 1958, and I would still put Worthington comfortably in the top half of that lot - at about No 6. And that is taking account of his overall record and not this awful Season in isolation. Its a great shame that he has been part of an underperforming Team this season and in hindsight should probably have left after 12 matches, when the pattern for 2005/06 was clear to see. Nevertheless to class him as the worst ever is plain daft and after all he is one of only 5 Managers in over 100 Years who have won any Silverware at our Club and that is what it is all about - winning something! Having said that, I do hope he leaves with some dignity intact, at the end of this season, so all of this internal bickering can stop. I would love to see all of that energy directed entirely into supporting OUR Team.

[quote user="Jack Flash"]

Well, I have seen us play under 16 Managers, since Archie Macauley in 1958, and I would still put Worthington comfortably in the top half of that lot - at about No 6. And that is taking account of his overall record and not this awful Season in isolation. Its a great shame that he has been part of an underperforming Team this season and in hindsight should probably have left after 12 matches, when the pattern for 2005/06 was clear to see. Nevertheless to class him as the worst ever is plain daft and after all he is one of only 5 Managers in over 100 Years who have won any Silverware at our Club and that is what it is all about - winning something! Having said that, I do hope he leaves with some dignity intact, at the end of this season, so all of this internal bickering can stop. I would love to see all of that energy directed entirely into supporting OUR Team.

[/quote]

So who can possibly have been worse than Worthy? Please name names!

Best Ever has got to be Ken Brown, in my opinion. Under Ken we played superb football, albeit with a relegation season in his time interestingly enough. However under his stewardship we won two trophies, the Milk Cup and the 2nd Div Championship. A close second for me would be Dave Stringer, and 3rd between Ron Saunders, Archie Macauley (the greatest Cup Run in our History) and Mike Walkers first stint.

[quote user="Jack Flash"]

Best Ever has got to be Ken Brown, in my opinion. Under Ken we played superb football, albeit with a relegation season in his time interestingly enough. However under his stewardship we won two trophies, the Milk Cup and the 2nd Div Championship. A close second for me would be Dave Stringer, and 3rd between Ron Saunders, Archie Macauley (the greatest Cup Run in our History) and Mike Walkers first stint.

[/quote]

Finding managers better than worthy is easy - - naming some that are werse is the difficult part - name some please!

Anyway we got relegated under Brown and Walker betrayed us!

So who can possibly have been worse than Worthy? Well Silver Canary - Willie Reid, Lol Morgan, George Swindon, Sadly (because as a Player he was one of my all time heros) Ron Ashman, Bruce Rioch, Brian Hamilton, Mike Walkers second spell  - watching the Team from the late 50s to date its my opinion that there has been an awful lot of mid table mediocrity, and  flirtations with relegation to the third tier at times. And returning to my other point - in 100+ Years only 5 Managers have won trophies and one of those happens to be NW, and you cannot disagree that was an excellent achievement. His style of Management is not unlike Ron Saunders in the late 60s and early 70s, and I think it works for a while, but I do agree that it does not produce the Total Football we all crave for (along with the other 90 odd Teams of course).

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"][quote user="Saint Canary"]

Again, yet another stupid thread that detracts from any serious WO debate.

Hamilton or  Rioch maybe????

[/quote] I see the fact that''s its a stupid thread didn''t stop you from replying though!!! ;-)

Worthington is no-where near as bad as Walker (second time), Rioch or Hamilton. He has done a lot for this club but as people have said he has outstayed his welcome. He took Norwich to the prem but once we were relegated, his time in charge should have come to an end. Sometimes a manager simply can''t take a club any further and staying merely serves to undo the good work already done!

[/quote]

When was the last time Worthy had back to back 5 nil wins Alex?.

Just like today she is provning clueles over football!.

[/quote] Ok so he hasn''t had back to back 5-0 wins - that automatically makes his time in charge worse than Walkers does it? Walker was a legend from his first time in charge but he failed when he returned just like he did at Everton!

How many promotions did Walker have then?? How many playoff finals did Walker''s team make?? Sacking Walker was a good thing for the club. We were living on past glories and he failed to deliver the second time round!!

Your misspeling humer was funny but now its wearing thin,Silver. This is because you are not really riting like you speek. For a natural look no further then ray ducker. ray is the most natural poster on the bord.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]Your misspeling humer was funny but now its wearing thin,Silver. This is because you are not really riting like you speek. For a natural look no further then ray ducker. ray is the most natural poster on the bord.[/quote]

? Another english teacher?

Silver Canary, you seem to dislike it when people, many of whom probably do have a brain, have an opinion that opposes yours. Maybe you should realise that it may help your defence by being a little more open minded and accepted other views as being feasible. I find many of your posts arrogant; you have no right to slag someone off because they have a different footballing opinion to yours. I also think you have a poor memory, can we really say our worst manager of all time got us promoted to the premiership? Of course not. The simple fact is he is having a bad run, that is rather common in this wonderful game we call football. Us true fans will carry on supporting the team (and that is what they need) until things pick up. Don’t miss-understand me, I do have opinions and don’t thing things are perfect, I do voice my concern, but I still show my support and don’t particularly want to go on some pathetic vindictive campaign against our manager, can you try to accept that? Now is it your bedtime? Some of you people are really turning into the prawn sandwich brigade, you cannot demand success, you might as well follow Chelsea!

Silver Canary, whatever your views on our manager(s), we are still higher than you in the league. Perhaps you are still smarting from losing 4-1 at home to Stoke - specially with Russell scoring, however funny! How d''ya like them apples?

Can one of the moderators please sort this Silver Canary out ?

Yes , people under 30 are allowed to have opinions.As long as they are measured , well thought out and preferrably not some aggressive diatribe basically making the same point over and over and over and over and over again.

And by the way , please clarify ''loyal'', as in  - ''Leave this website to loyal fans!''

[quote user="Northern Canary"]Perhaps one that didnt get us promoted. I think he should go but he has still done well for us[/quote]

Not much point getting us promoted if you go straight back down again and then play like we have this year!

worthy is nowhere near the worst manager at the club.  imo, though - walker''s second period at the club was nowhere as bad as this season - its as bad as hamiltons though.  i always thought it strange walker got dumped after his back to back 5-0 wins that promised much for the following season - obviously he fell out with the powers that be.  we were in the habit of conceding late goals under walker, but we had more in our game under him than defending deep, hoffing hopeful balls up and catching teams on the break - even at home!i''ve not seen any recent performances that provide confidence we can gain automatic promotion or even make the play-offs next season.  worthy is not the worst and we should all be thankful for his achievements, but that doesn''t mean to say he should stay. he has run his course and the quicker fresh ideas and united carra rd returns the better.

silver canary, you have a right to any opinion you like regardless of your age, but on the subject of who is the worst or best manager of all time, your opinion is pretty irrelevant due to the obvious fact you simply didn''t exist for most of that time.

so don''t have a hissy fit.

Let me tell you something about being a "loyal fan" Silver...

Yes, you are spot on: I don''t live anywhere near Norwich or Norfolk. Instead I drive for three hours to get to Carrow Road for every home game. (That''s a six hour round trip and £40 in petrol for every game)

I have been a season ticket holder for sixteen years and follow the team home and away through the good times and the bad times.

My opinion is that Worthington needs to be replaced now before things get any worse - I fully understand how bad the situation is right now.

However, I''ve also seen enough football in my time to know that things could be worse and that Nigel Worthington is by no means our worst manager of all time. Walker during his second time in charge, Megson, Hamilton and Rioch were all considerably worse - and that''s just in my time of watching the club, I''m sure there are others if you go further back through the club''s history.

Few managers have taken Norwich to Championships or Play-Off Finals. Worthington has. No matter what you think of him now, for that he must be acknoledged and his achievements must not be forgotten - at least not by the "loyal" fans.

For you to claim that this message board is sole property of yourself and for those who despise Worthington is unbelievable. This forum is about different people and different opinions. If you disagree with them, then that''s up to you but to call them "ipswich fans" or "stupid" is both derogatory and childish. Try to grow up, and show a little more respect.

[quote user="Maverick"]

Can one of the moderators please sort this Silver Canary out ?

Yes , people under 30 are allowed to have opinions.As long as they are measured , well thought out and preferrably not some aggressive diatribe basically making the same point over and over and over and over and over again.

And by the way , please clarify ''loyal'', as in  - ''Leave this website to loyal fans!''

[/quote]

I have never been agressive and the opinions are clearly thought through.