Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Buying a new mobile

The on/off switch on my current phone has broken so it is just a matter of time before the phone turns off forever. So i am looking for a new mobile. At the moment i am looking at the Sony Ericson W800i and the Nokia 6230i.

Does anybody own either of these phones and care to comment on them? Or does anyone have any other recommendations or general tips for buying a phone?

And is the mp3 quality on phones that good in general?

Thanks

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]Isn''t this a football forum??[/quote]

Clever, you are! ;) Yes, this is a football forum. But frankly perhaps if we don''t jump on every non-football related topic like this this forum might actually be interesting to read again instead of repeating the same old same old in sixty different threads in sixty different ways.

IMO, go for the Sony Ericsson. I''ve had a Sony Ericsson now for two years, and it''s been very reliable a phone. It''s light, it''s got the best camera phones in the business and the in-phone MP3 technology (which mine hasn''t got but so I hear) is the leading in the business. Just don''t expect it to be replacing an MP3 player any time soon - the capacity is still rather slender.

[quote user="Northern Canary"]

The on/off switch on my current phone has broken so it is just a matter of time before the phone turns off forever. So i am looking for a new mobile. At the moment i am looking at the Sony Ericson W800i and the Nokia 6230i.

Does anybody own either of these phones and care to comment on them? Or does anyone have any other recommendations or general tips for buying a phone?

And is the mp3 quality on phones that good in general?

Thanks

[/quote]

Hi Northern, I am the proud owner of a Sony Ericsson W800i.  I can''t tell you about the Nokia but will gladly plug the Sony.  I had a previous Sony which was good, but this one is even better, great camera, and it has a built in Walkman.  You can download songs from the net or from your own files on your PC (or Mac).  Also can upload photos, images, mp3 files from PC.  Is tri band so can use most places in the world.  Easy and fast to text.  Has an additional memory stick, which I haven''t had to use yet and I already have loads of photos and songs on mine.  Oh, and it''s not a boring black phone!  You can get a black one if you want i think.  

mp3 quality is pretty good.  Got it as standard contract with O2. 

I have the nokia 6230i

Its a great phone, never had any problems with it as yet (its nearly a year old) only moan is you have to have headphones in to use the radio, but apart from that its a great phone, the camera on it is also good quality.

check out this; http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-pd-ProductDisplay?S=40&PN=PAYGO&filter_partModel=NOK6230I

hope this helps

You gotta get the Sony Ericsson W800i!

Had mine for 3 weeks and it is simply the best phone i ever owned!! The camera is as good as my digital camera and the mp3 player is a must for when im walking the dogs!

I got mine from http://www.e2save.com/?money4me3346556 

The phone is free on an Orange contract. You pay the line rental of £20 per month for the Off Peak 1000 tariff and then they credit you if you send them your 4th, 8th and 12th monthly bills... It works out that you pay line rental of £3 per month!!!!!

Anyways give their website a look, I am sure you will be impressed.

Rob

When I venture into the city, I carry upon my personage: a ''Kodak Brownie'' camera, 2 semaphore flags, an aldis ''hand held'' signalling lamp, a British Army ''Klansman'' back pack radio set, a pocket full of loose change ''85p'', ball of string, a penknife (Swiss Army), a handkerchief (mucus free), overnight bag, a pac a mac, a lucky rabbits foot, a conker (my unbeaten 78''r), sun cream, a compass, a pencil, maglite torch, a mace spray, boiled sweets & chewing gum, change of underwear, telescopic baton, riot shield (transparent), body armour (full set with helmet and visor), protective knee length boots, 24 hr ration pack (with hexamine stove), waterproof matches, tin opener, a whistle and a small reflective mirror - as I find that even the latest ''high-tech'' slimline, camera and mp3 mobile phones, are far too cumbersome, generally unreliable - and personally, just a waste of flamin'' money!

"Keep it simple I say".............It works for me! [Y]  

[quote user="Northern Canary"]thanks.

I know this is a football forum, but the football isnt too great at the moment so i thought i may as well ask.[/quote] No problem - I was only joking. Discussing some other topics might liven it up a bit and stop all the doom and gloom anyway!!

Well I have the Motorola V3 Razr....don''t even bother....what a pile of crap.

lol.

Well i went for the W800i, there seemed enough good feedback on it and it seems a great phone. Thanks for everyones advice.

Could anyone who has a W800i just help me with something? I am still getting to know the phone - I have sent a carrow road picture and the Goal song from my old phone to my new phone via infarred. The files have gone into a file called "other" in file manager > how do i get those files out of there so i can use the picture for a wallpaper and the song for my ringtone/mp3?