Sign in to follow this  
Mariner

A Difference in Attitude.

Browsing Ceefax yesterday, I read the Daily Mirror has reported a Sheepshanks ultimatum to Royle, promotion next season or the sack.   While acknowledging modesty has never been a dominant Ipswich trait, this seems a bit stiff in view of the financial position there.  It contrasts sharply with our own attitude, "Look at us, little old Norwich in the Premiership.  It doesn''t matter if we go down, just enjoy yourselves.".   I would like someone to have the guts to give Worthington a similar ultimatum.  But they won''t, will they?

after selling key players every season its no wonder ipswich would wobble at some point - i''d walk if i was royle rather than having sheepshanks deflect the blame onto me.  my feeling is worthy has been given an ultimatium in private - hence his shape up or ship out comments to the players recently, in effect saying its them or me.  but he could go sooner than everybody thinks if city lose the last 3, or even at home tomorrow. why?  delia & michael are successful business people and in the cold light of day they will eventually make the necessary decisions to keep their bottom line intact - its not personal, just a fact of life.  they know city needs a united front between the fans, playing staff and the board to ''move onwards and upwards.''  its common sense that everybody needs to be pulling in the same direction to give us the best chance of making the prem next season.  having made their statement, its clear it hasn''t had the desired effect, the fans haven''t rallyed and the players must be dreading another silent carra rd against qpr tomorrow.  this is hardly the best preparation for next season, in fact its no preparation.   what odds for city next season?  favourites this season, 12-1 for next season?

Perhaps LGT they are letting the season ticket deadlines pass so late or new renewers will pay more to offset the cost of Worthington''s redundancy payment.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]Perhaps LGT they are letting the season ticket deadlines pass so late or new renewers will pay more to offset the cost of Worthington''s redundancy payment.[/quote]could be - the final renewal figures and uptake will certainly have a bearing upon next season''s budget and therefore the options available to the board.  16,000 or 17,000 renewals is still a good figure in the circumstances, but the board can ill afford to take this for granted.    they know the product must improve for next season, ot that many will voye with their feet.  it seems the dissatisfaction over worthy has gone beyond simple results and failure to gain promotion or make the play-offs, into a public discussion over the style of football played at carra rd.  2005/2006 season will be remembered for one phrase alone - ''hoofball.''  unfortnately for worthy, he has either been unwilling or unable to meet this criticism and galvanise city into playing free-flowing and attractive football to keep the punters happy.