Sign in to follow this  
yellow hammer

Who is your Player of the Season?

McVeigh - because he has forced his way into the team played well, been dropped anyway and forced his way back again.  He plays the ball on the floor has a few tricks and has scored some good goals.

He has also banged away a penalty or two.  To do all this with the ball being lumped forward all the time is exceptional.

He has done well in spite of worthless

Andy Hughes as his performances are a  summary of our season.

I don''t really care who wins player of the season to be honest. However, if I had to pick someone it would be McVeigh. Just because he''s provided a little entertainment & everyone else has underperformed!

When were all at the civic reception, I turned to my mate & said "savour this moment, you might not get to see scenes like this again for a long time". Can''t see it happening again for a long, long time!!

For me its between McVeigh or Doherty. McVeigh has offered us something different this saeson - flair. Its good to see him back to his best again. Doherty has been a rock in the defence for us this season. Sure, he has given a few fouls away but on the whole he has been dependable at the back. He has also won alot of player of the month awards too, which add to the year award, so my money is on him winning anyway.

Tricky to decide for all the wrong reasons which is nobody stands out that much. But if I have to choose it''d be Mcveigh. He seems to give us a different option and we seem better when he plays.

The doc seems to give away too many fouls.

Not that it matters all that much ,  in what has been  a dreary season ,  but I have to go for Hucks [ shut it ! ]     simply because  without  his application and crosses   we could now be  in a relegation battle ....  also McVeigh  wouldn`t have looked too effective  either !!  [:P]

[quote user="Iwans Front Teeth"]

Tricky to decide for all the wrong reasons which is nobody stands out that much. But if I have to choose it''d be Mcveigh. He seems to give us a different option and we seem better when he plays.

[/quote]

Agree that no-one stands out  this season  !  but to single out McVeigh  as player of the season is a bit surreal !    for reasons that are obscure  he  decided to turn it on  midway through the season , and I have a suspicion that this was due to  his contract coming to a close  at seasons end  !!    apparently he`s been satisfied with the new contract we offered ,  so , to offer a McVeigh  the player of the season   is to ignore the fact that  he , like a few others ,  only play to his potential ..... WHEN IT SUITS  HIM  !    .... do we really need  cynicism of that sort ?

On top of that , McVeigh would not have been at all effective  without Hucks  efforts , so , IF  there has to be a nomination ......  [B]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Leon McKenzie... we win when he''s fit

jas :)

[/quote]

If it''s a player that we haven''t looked the same team without it would have to be Safri. But, like Leon, he''s not really played enough games to be in the reckoning. So, McVeigh all the was for me!

The Fans, because

a) They have turned up with spirit and a will to win for every game this season, unlike certain other players I could mention, and

b) They are the only ''player'' who seem to give a rats'' bottom about the dogs dinner of a season we have just had.

[quote user="seedyrom"]The Fans, because a) They have turned up with spirit and a will to win for every game this season, unlike certain other players I could mention, and b) They are the only ''player'' who seem to give a rats'' bottom about the dogs dinner of a season we have just had.[/quote]

Good call Seedy!

Huckerby

Says it all about the season really. Hucks hasnt been consistent but at times has been the difference and has been involved in alot of the goals.

Doherty has been solid, but our defence leaky so i cant give it too him, mcveigh has done well sometimes but isnt consistent enough and safri hasnt done much since last year.

I agree with the people who have nominated Huckerby for PotS. I''ve still voted for McVeigh but I do appreciate the fact that Huckerby has set-up, scored or played some part in every single goal we have scored this season. Without him, we could well have been in the bottom 6.

[quote user="sheded"][quote user="Iwans Front Teeth"]

[/quote]

Agree that no-one stands out  this season  !  but to single out McVeigh  as player of the season is a bit surreal !    for reasons that are obscure  he  decided to turn it on  midway through the season , and I have a suspicion that this was due to  his contract coming to a close  at seasons end  !!    apparently he`s been satisfied with the new contract we offered ,  so , to offer a McVeigh  the player of the season   is to ignore the fact that  he , like a few others ,  only play to his potential ..... WHEN IT SUITS  HIM  !    .... do we really need  cynicism of that sort ?

On top of that , McVeigh would not have been at all effective  without Hucks  efforts , so , IF  there has to be a nomination ......  [B]

[/quote]

yep, just like ashton, worthy couldnt motivate him then. wow!!  he motivates Hughes into 1 good game in 26 however..

So true that Mcveigh has suddenly remembered how to play when there''s a contract on the line but fair play to the guy , after last season he could have done a Mulryne and swanned off to Cardiff to play the odd game.Its to his credit that he''s turned himself around after looking unfit and uninterested last year.Thats the reason NW put him on the list in the first place.I''m sure if he continues to show the sort of form he has since Christmas , then he will get a contract after next season too.

But for me it has to be Huckerby again because without his goals and particularly assists we''d be in the brown stuff big time.

1    Hucks

2   The Doc , more consistency over a longer period than WLY

3   WLY

Sheded, with all due respect, you are soooooo biased towards Huckerby you could ration a few reasons as to why he should be given the World Player of the Year AND the Nobel Peace Prize.

Yes, he''s contributed to a few assists, and goals. But a player of "premiership" calibre bloody well should do. That''s his job, it''s a given, not something we should be grateful for.

So many of the bad performances this season have been a direct result of Huckerby not passing, not tackling, not tracking back, dribbling down too many blind alleys and, in some cases, not even looking interested. That ain''t player of the season material in my opinion.

And this McVeigh nonsense really should stop. Yes, he wasn''t playing well at the start of the season WHEN HE WAS ON THE BENCH.

Then, miraculously, once he was named in the starting eleven, his performances picked up.

Funny that.

[quote user="Plastic Scouser"]

[quote user="seedyrom"]The Fans, because a) They have turned up with spirit and a will to win for every game this season, unlike certain other players I could mention, and b) They are the only ''player'' who seem to give a rats'' bottom about the dogs dinner of a season we have just had.[/quote]

Good call Seedy!

[/quote]

Well not really scouse.  Even if we were to ignore the obvious fact that the fans aren''t players, I think there has been far too much moaning and bitching from the fans for my liking.

McVeigh all the way for me - always fully committed and proving Worthy wrong.

[quote user="Mook"]

Sheded, with all due respect, you are soooooo biased towards Huckerby you could ration a few reasons as to why he should be given the World Player of the Year AND the Nobel Peace Prize.

Yes, he''s contributed to a few assists, and goals. But a player of "premiership" calibre bloody well should do. That''s his job, it''s a given, not something we should be grateful for.

So many of the bad performances this season have been a direct result of Huckerby not passing, not tackling, not tracking back, dribbling down too many blind alleys and, in some cases, not even looking interested. That ain''t player of the season material in my opinion.

And this McVeigh nonsense really should stop. Yes, he wasn''t playing well at the start of the season WHEN HE WAS ON THE BENCH.

Then, miraculously, once he was named in the starting eleven, his performances picked up.

Funny that.

[/quote]

So, because Hucks is a good player he should be given no praise for good performances? Whereas McVeigh, who until just recently is in & out of form more often than I change my under pants can be praised for good performances simply by not being as good as Huckerby? That''s how I''ve read your post. [*-)]

[quote user="Mook"]

Funny that.

[/quote]

Er .... I could be a bit biased  !     me and Hucks  started life in Nottingham  ,   although we both now live in Norfolk    ,   putting aside this  fact   , don`t you think   that , over the season ,  he actually  deserves   a bit of  recognition   ?   I`ll grant you that this has been a bleeding dismal  year  , and  to appoint a MOM   is somewhat  ludicrous !   I don`t think  there are too many of the team come out of this smelling of roses  .......   but it sure as hell isn`t Hucks fault !    McVeigh  HAS done well this year   , yet it still  required Hucks to  make it work  ,   whatever , he`s my choice  on sheer  dogged  trying,  despite  how the team performs !