Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

More Worthinton History!! Its Deja Vu

poor signings, injuries, endless loan signings, players not giving their all, underperforming team, hoofball, manager falls out with promising young player, worthy out chants!!

http://blackpool.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=912&p=2&stid=202808

An Annus Horribilus ( I have put the relevant bits inb the whole article in on the link above)
By Editor
Date: 10/5/2000

When the season got underway on a bright and sunny day in August, those who gathered to watch the Seasiders, lacked the usual misguided hope and optimism for our final league campaign of the 20th century.

"Other than ''Big Murphy'' (another stating the bleeding obvious nickname!), Richard Forsyth and Paul Beesley were the only other incoming players. Maybe it said something about our manager Nigel Worthington''s inability to bring in decent players that Forsyth would be injured until the end of August and Beesley would be out until the end of October (Ruud Van Nistleroy would have sailed through a medical at Bloomfield Road!). Despite the usual pre-match lagers, and having sat in the Midday sun, even mad dogs and Englishman would have been unimpressed with Blackpool''s victory that day. The new season didn''t look as though it would herald the bright new dawn the Seasiders were so desperately waiting for."

"Despite having signed a new contract towards the end of the previous season, Nigel Worthington found himself walking the managerial tightrope early on in the new campaign. Questions about his ability to manage the team were soon asked, and after ''Pool sank to 18th place in the league and following a swift Worthington Cup exit ''Worthy out'' became the most popular chant at Bloomfield Road. Not that Nigel hadn''t attempted to boost his beleaguered squad."

"With an obvious lack of talent at Bloomfield Road, Nigel Worthington had dipped in to the market to bring some loan players to the club. Jim Whitley from Manchester City helped us to achieve nine games without a win during his loan spell, ''lager John'' Durnin found the back of the net once (but that was presumably only because it was on the way to the bar) and David Lee, who''d always looked so threatening at Wigan, looked like a tired old has-been who''d have run out of breath collecting his pay cheque. With a final throw of the dice, Worthington brought in Brian Quailley, who looked the most ''promising prospect'' at the Seaside since Tony Blair was last in town. However, 120 minutes in to his short-lived Blackpool career, Quailley took a knock that he was never to recover from. Following a 3-0 drubbing at Deepdale by Preston, Worthington finally did, what he''d always said he would never do, and threw the towel in. There''s no doubt he was a likeable man, but any manager who takes a side from the brink of the play-offs to the edge of relegation, is never going to win the respect of players or fans. In the end Nigel did the honourable thing, it was just a shame that his pride got in the way of him going 2 months earlier."

Steve McMahaon took over: "During those first two months of the new Millennium, Blackpool fans were to be hit with news that would put the team''s league position in to perspective. Our young striker Martin Aldridge, who''d made such a big impact in his first year at the club before falling out with our previous manager (Worthington!!!!), was killed in a car crash. Martin had been on loan at Conference side Rushden and Diamonds when the accident happened, and ironically had only spoke to McMahon a few days earlier about a possible return. There''s no doubt that he would have been wearing a tangerine shirt, in a very short time, had he have returned to Bloomfield Road."

"Blackpool were relegated and the long overdue clear out had begun. Of 40 players used, 26 won''t be at Bloomfield Road next season, which tells it''s own story. There were few players who gave their all to the cause and thankfully most of those have now been shown the door."

Why is he still here! He couldn''t do it at Blackpool say why the hell did he ever get the job for us?

Paul, How do you find these things, you should really be a journilist, You''d do a better job than Waghorn!

[quote user="Tom NCFC"]

Why is he still here! He couldn''t do it at Blackpool say why the hell did he ever get the job for us?

Paul, How do you find these things, you should really be a journilist, You''d do a better job than Waghorn!

[/quote]

To be fair to Worthy he did a decent job until we got promoted.  With a moment of inspiration in the loan signings of Peter Crouch, Kevin Harper, and Darren Huckerby.  Everybody has to start somewhere and he learned from his mistakes at Blackpool.  Unfortunatly he seems to have fallen back to his negative type and does not have the idea''s or know how to turn it round here..

I think he has proven himself a decent but limited manager.   I feel he needs a new challenge as much as we need a new manager.  It''s a shame those in power do not see it that way.

Bored today Paul? [;)]

Brilliant bit of investigative journalism there, and definitely looks familiar!

You''re right about Worthy though - he''s not a bad man (in that he doesn''t wear a little tiny moustache), and he''s done some wonderful things for us as a club... BUT... at best he''s a mid-table/play-off hopeful Championship manager who got lucky a few years ago and is living off that now.

My thoughts on this matter have always been "thanks for all you''ve done Nigel, but you''ve done as much as you can, time to leave with a pat on the back and we''ll see how someone else gets on".

But he''s testing the patience of a lot of fans and it won''t be long before we forget Cardiff and winning the league and remember only this season.

Fickle, but that''s football!

There''s hope then....." Worthington finally did, what he''d always said he would never do, and threw the towel in"

Come on! Worthy... dare ya!

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Tom NCFC"]

[/quote]

To be fair to Worthy he did a decent job until we got promoted.  With a moment of inspiration in the loan signings of Peter Crouch, Kevin Harper, and Darren Huckerby.  Everybody has to start somewhere and he learned from his mistakes at Blackpool.  Unfortunatly he seems to have fallen back to his negative type and does not have the idea''s or know how to turn it round here..

I think he has proven himself a decent but limited manager.   I feel he needs a new challenge as much as we need a new manager.  It''s a shame those in power do not see it that way.

[/quote]I would say that the post has little relevence to the current situation. To be honest I couldn''t give a damn what he did at previous clubs. We should all look at other managers like Hamilton and Rioch who had better track reccords and still failed to achieve anything like Worthington did with very similar resources at hand.However I would also add that Crouch, Harper and Huckerby were on loan untill Christmas with only Huckerby staying on. I would say that Svensson was also an inspired signing - again another bargain. Leon in the summer was also a good signing.The problem we have had it seems is that after relegation people still want Norwich to pay premiership fees for players - we arnt premiership any more but teams seam to think we can spend that kind of money.I still think that as long as things are done properly and we get in a decent manager who will be solid and loyal enough to stick around for more than a season then it would be a possitive change.Should we bring in a manager who is not what we need I would come back on this board and blast all of the outers for their shortsightedness. I still think Worthington could still give us promotion next season - this season is a mixture of good signings on paper not coming off, inconsistancy of normally reliable players and a couple of injuries.As for youngsters two games and they''ll be in. then it will be only possible should we win all of our matches and the team in 6th looses all of their remaining games. Its possible that a loss today would see that decision come for the next game.

Whaat you call me shortsighted, you are speculating on what Worthy might do, we all know it is beyond the man to take us forward, too many years of non football.  Chicken obviously finds this standard acceptable, fortunately for the club most of us will not accept this rubbish.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Tom NCFC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would say that the post has little relevence to the current situation. To be honest I couldn''t give a damn what he did at previous clubs. We should all look at other managers like Hamilton and Rioch who had better track reccords and still failed to achieve anything like Worthington did with very similar resources at hand.
[/quote]

I disagree, everything that happeneed at blackpool has started happening here, disregarding youth players, poor loan signings, poor signings, awful form, underperforming players, team accused of playing long ball, worthy out chants, uninspiring victories.  It looks exactly the same over again to me.