Sign in to follow this  
Daz Sparks

Police use car to stop cow.

I saw that earlier and it's really grim. Do not know why they took that action. 🤬

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

I'm having roast beef today 

It might be a bit rubbery.

• Haha 1

They claim they did it because they had been chasing the cow for hours. How long does it take to call up a vet with a tranquiliser dart? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

They claim they did it because they had been chasing the cow for hours. How long does it take to call up a vet with a tranquiliser dart? 

Very poor judgement all round. As you rightly say, a vet could have been on the scene in much less time. Running the animal down was just ridiculous.

A bum steer....should have just blown his horn....The Police driver deserves a pat on the head.... 

Joking apart it was as someone above stated completely OTT policing....Totally unwarranted and in my opinion totally ridiculous....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe they should do that with thieves and such instead of cows?

EDIT: Wait.... this quote raises more questions: Ch Insp Tatton Sam Adcock added: “The decision to use the police car is one that was only taken after other methods to stop the cow had failed."

What other methods failed???

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Maybe they should do that with thieves and such instead of cows?

Thieves have used cars to run over police, never seen a cow doing it.

Just now, Daz Sparks said:

Thieves have used cars to run over police, never seen a cow doing it.

Yeah, I'm saying maybe police should run over thieves caught in flagranti. I still want to know which methods failed.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Which is what we will find out in due course. Including whether vets/zoo keepers with tranquilsers or animal calming techniques were considered. Or even armed response.  It's not ideal, but If they believe the cow is a danger and If stupid has exhausted all it's ideas, well...

it does seem strange ramming it was the last resort though,  I imagine this would have went up the chain and at some point certain responses were ruled out or unavailable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 16/06/2024 at 10:29, TheGunnShow said:

You could see in the video that the calf was chasing someone on foot who was running away, so I don't think the police can be blamed for prioritising the public's safety over the calf's safety if they were really stuck. As it is the calf sustained only a minor injury and that should be considered with regard to disciplining the officers in a difficult situation.

What you're asking leads to the big questions: What help did the police attempt to seek in trying to deal with the animal? I strongly suspect that the fact it happened at 2100 in the evening may have meant they had problems getting hold of people who could do anything about it at short notice and your average householder in an urban area isn't likely to be too hot on wrangling calfs.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

30 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

and your average householder in an urban area isn't likely to be too hot on wrangling calfs.

Wasn't it in Staines? You wouldn't have had to knock on too many doors to find someone with some ketamine.

• Haha 2

An official from the Farmers’ Union said that under the circumstances the Police probably did the right thing.  Had they dithered and a member of the public had been injured then the usual voices would have been lambasting them for failing to act.

• Like 2

The cow was a very dark colour. Did that make a difference? 

30 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I refuse to make a joke about ground beef

Good; the jokes were okay at first, but people are just milking it now.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Can you taser a cow?

Four minutes each side, a bit of seasoning. 👌

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I do think this is an interesting story, because it is a lesson in how we think. My immediate reaction, as a paid-up member of the tofu-eating, Labour voting wokerati was “WTF? More police incompetence”. And this seems to similar to most people’s reaction on here, including those who I judge from other posts to be slightly further right along the left-right axis than me.

But reading statements from the police and (I think) the NFU, they seem to suggest this was the right thing to do. And the reasons they give stack up. 

The lesson? IDK, something about looking at the big picture and not jumping to conclusions I guess?

And just because everyone else is doing it: will we heifer learn from it?

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I think we just need to moove on from this story now.

I agree, MSM are milking it 😉

• Haha 1