It would be nice to think that a certain minority fans will have learnt something from Adam Idah's recent comments. Hopefully All of us will get behind the lad when he dons the yellow shirt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

He wasn't on the bench when it became doubtful he wasn't signing a new contract?

Perhaps he likes what he's heard from Knapper and Thorup.

It has been doubtful all season. He was supposed to go on loan this season but the club wanted him to sign the contract before going out.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

He copped a lot of deserved flak because he was playing clearly unfit players over him. Is he ready right now? Probably not. Would 10 or 15 minutes off the bench have hurt? Not in my view, especially if we were trying to convince him he had a long term future here.

Talented young players need a pathway to the first team and belief it will actually be followed though. It's a good sign that the Knapper/Thorup combo has managed to convince him he can progress here as he seemingly didn't have the same belief that it would happen under Wagner and Webber.

I don't support Wagner on youth development, but I fear Aboh has become seriously overhyped. I can understand why Wagner wanted to use senior players over someone with no experience while he felt Norwich could still reach the play-offs. 

It sounds like Norwich have offered Aboh a very generous contract, so I wonder if it was the perceived pathway that has convinced him, or the terms of the deal. Hopefully he can go out and get a good season on loan and show why Norwich have backed him. 

• Like 2

He was very impressive against Manchester United u21’s really looked the real deal.

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

Don’t disagree at all. Loan makes a lot of sense for both him and for cover.

If Sargent goes though going to be a lot of churn up front. Really interesting window ahead.

Yeah, there are a lot of sub-plots in lots of positions and striker is certainly one of the more interesting ones. Although, if Sargent stays it is quite clear he will be a shoe in for every game he is fit. This makes it incredibly hard to bring through a young player as minutes will be limited. 

If Sargent does go a immediate replacement is needed, so to not block the pathway for younger players you need a loan or an older player. Getting a Championship level striker on loan is very hard, and any senior player will be very expensive. Would love to know Knapper's thinking on this area of the pitch. But would also love to know what he is going to do with Kamara if Rowe stays, if he is going to get one or two left backs, how he will balance the midfield, how he gets more minutes for Fisher, who out of the four young centre backs coming back from loan he feels will be ready to step up if needed (and are they just going to have their game time block but one of Hanley/Duffy, of both of them) and which of the many young keepers is good enough to make the step up. Many sub-plots in many positions.

• Like 3

Very slim chance of Rowe staying you’d imagine ? That will be an opening for kamara.

49 minutes ago, horsefly said:

It would be nice to think that a certain minority fans will have learnt something from Adam Idah's recent comments. Hopefully All of us will get behind the lad when he dons the yellow shirt. 

I am interested to see what he does if given a decent chance. And if he does get some games, I agree, he should be given time by the fans. Let the coach decide if he's up to the job, rather than destroying his confidence before he's even started his a first team season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daz Sparks said:

I am interested to see what he does if given a decent chance. And if he does get some games, I agree, he should be given time by the fans. Let the coach decide if he's up to the job, rather than destroying his confidence before he's even started his a first team season. 

I hope folks can ignore the media hype too. It's just their way of selling stories. It results in people putting way too much expectation on young shoulders to then get frustrated and vent it towards them. Players don't decide how much they are worth or how much the media (press included) will big them up. Got to let them develop and support them to have their best shot - it benefits us as a club, it doesn't benefit us if they don't succeed or leave due to feeling unwanted/unsupported by the fans.

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Yeah, there are a lot of sub-plots in lots of positions and striker is certainly one of the more interesting ones. Although, if Sargent stays it is quite clear he will be a shoe in for every game he is fit. This makes it incredibly hard to bring through a young player as minutes will be limited. 

If Sargent does go a immediate replacement is needed, so to not block the pathway for younger players you need a loan or an older player. Getting a Championship level striker on loan is very hard, and any senior player will be very expensive. Would love to know Knapper's thinking on this area of the pitch. But would also love to know what he is going to do with Kamara if Rowe stays, if he is going to get one or two left backs, how he will balance the midfield, how he gets more minutes for Fisher, who out of the four young centre backs coming back from loan he feels will be ready to step up if needed (and are they just going to have their game time block but one of Hanley/Duffy, of both of them) and which of the many young keepers is good enough to make the step up. Many sub-plots in many positions.

Agreed, though I think it is somewhat fun that we are talking about a 24yr old striker blocking the route of 19-20yr old strikers with a 23yr old likely to be his back up. Barnes certainly brings that average age up a bit!

Re the four defenders - Tomkinson is 22, Warner will be 22 in October, Adegboyega will be 21 in September and Hills was 20 in March:

Last seasons loans stats roundup(appearances and level):
Tomkinson, Bradford, League 2, 28 appearances in all competitions, 6 from the bench.
Warner, 1st half of the season he stayed with us making two appearances in early November, then on loan to League 2 Notts County making 11 appearances in all competitions , 2 from the bench.
Adegboyega 23-24, Walsall in League 2, loaned out in January, 14 appearances in all competitions, 3 as a sub, 2 goals and one assist
Hills, Accrington, League 2, 48 appearances in all competitions, 1 as a sub, and just because I find it interesting, he was never subbed off when he started. He also registered 3 goals and one assist. Also 15 yellow cards and 2 straight reds.

Just based on last season you would say that Hills has the most football behind him, however, Tomkinson and Warner have already played 'some' first team football for us. They were all playing at the same level too. It's hard to say who would be the pick and I suspect the stats are relatively futile as it'll depend very much upon style and how they fit in with the overall plan the Hoff will have.

I do think it's probably the first time I can remember when I know the names of four young CB's coming through and looking promising enough for folks to be suggesting that at least two of them could be in the first team squad in the coming season.

Goalkeepers again, it's going to be between Barden and Reyes. Barden is 22 and Reyes 20.

It really is going to be such an interesting summer when it comes to decisions around players, like you say, will we go with a new left back and allow Montoia to be understudy? It almost seems safe to do that if we are keeping Sorensen and McLean and possibly Cordoba able to cover there if really desperate. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

All part of the trading model. Get him signed up, another team trains him up and pays his wages and we either incorporate him in our squad or sell him for profit. Makes sense to me.

Just a shame he was frozen out a bit last season when he could have got minutes ahead of Van Hoijdonk.

Exactly that. MA will be looking at players from the academy he can make profitable for the lower tier investors. There’s money to be made out of youth football if you do it well. 

17 hours ago, king canary said:

He copped a lot of deserved flak because he was playing clearly unfit players over him. Is he ready right now? Probably not. Would 10 or 15 minutes off the bench have hurt? Not in my view, especially if we were trying to convince him he had a long term future here

I feel this- comments of whether or not he was necessarily good enough aside. Wagner either flogged Sargent into the ground or took him off and went Barnes #9 which categorically made us worse every time it happened. 

Aboh may not have been totally Championship-ready but would at least have kept the opposition thinking, as a striker with a bit of pace. 

21 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I feel this- comments of whether or not he was necessarily good enough aside. Wagner either flogged Sargent into the ground or took him off and went Barnes #9 which categorically made us worse every time it happened. 

Aboh may not have been totally Championship-ready but would at least have kept the opposition thinking, as a striker with a bit of pace. 

I feel for Wagner clearly he knew unless we got promoted he was gone and maybe even if we did get promoted he was also gone.

Given that lens I would have also trusted my two main strikers over a 20 year old who has a modest record at youth level, never played for a national age group side and was refusing to commit his future to the club.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, chicken said:

I hope folks can ignore the media hype too. It's just their way of selling stories. It results in people putting way too much expectation on young shoulders to then get frustrated and vent it towards them. Players don't decide how much they are worth or how much the media (press included) will big them up. Got to let them develop and support them to have their best shot - it benefits us as a club, it doesn't benefit us if they don't succeed or leave due to feeling unwanted/unsupported by the fans.

Agreed, though I think it is somewhat fun that we are talking about a 24yr old striker blocking the route of 19-20yr old strikers with a 23yr old likely to be his back up. Barnes certainly brings that average age up a bit!

Re the four defenders - Tomkinson is 22, Warner will be 22 in October, Adegboyega will be 21 in September and Hills was 20 in March:

Tomkinson, Bradford, League 2, 28 appearances in all competitions, 6 from the bench.
Warner, 1st half of the season he stayed with us making two appearances in early November, then on loan to League 2 Notts County making 11 appearances in all competitions , 2 from the bench.
Adegboyega 23-24, Walsall in League 2, loaned out in January, 14 appearances in all competitions, 3 as a sub, 2 goals and one assist
Hills, Accrington, League 2, 48 appearances in all competitions, 1 as a sub, and just because I find it interesting, he was never subbed off when he started. He also registered 3 goals and one assist. Also 15 yellow cards and 2 straight reds.

Just based on last season you would say that Hills has the most football behind him, however, Tomkinson and Warner have already played 'some' first team football for us. They were all playing at the same level too. It's hard to say who would be the pick and I suspect the stats are relatively futile as it'll depend very much upon style and how they fit in with the overall plan the Hoff will have.

I do think it's probably the first time I can remember when I know the names of four young CB's coming through and looking promising enough for folks to be suggesting that at least two of them could be in the first team squad in the coming season.

Goalkeepers again, it's going to be between Barden and Reyes. Barden is 22 and Reyes 20.

It really is going to be such an interesting summer when it comes to decisions around players, like you say, will we go with a new left back and allow Montoia to be understudy? It almost seems safe to do that if we are keeping Sorensen and McLean and possibly Cordoba able to cover there if really desperate. 

Great post, mate. One very minor point of order; Barden is 23, not 22. I wouldn't be surprised to see either him or Reyes go out on loan, with the other being our third-choice goalkeeper and number-one for the PL2 side.

As for the centre backs, I have a hunch that neither Tomkinson nor Warner will make the grade. Neither particularly excelled in League Two last season, and both are out of contract next summer (albeit we have the option of an extra year on Tomkinson).

Based on the very limited amount that I saw from highlights last season, Adegboyega and Hills are most likely to be in the squad next season; as with the goalkeepers, probably one to stay as a regular for the PL2 side and backup for the first team, and the other out on loan (probably to League One).

All four of those are right-footed, so would likely be behind Hanley and Duffy in the pecking order unless one of those two is sold. Hills is out of contract next summer but we can extend to 2026, and I can't find any information on the length of contract Adegboyega signed when we acquired him from Drogheda last summer (although with these young acquisitions it's usually at least three years, so I'd bet on him being tied down until 2026 at least).

There's also Lewis Shipley, who is left-footed and can play as a centre-back but was almost exclusively a left-back for Accrington last season. Finally, there's young Waylon Renecke, who's only 18 but was a regular in the PL2 side last season and was an unused substitute for one first-team game towards the end of the season. Suffice to say we are 'stacked' in that position!

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I mean, that's a big jump. Just having pace and nothing else or knowing how to use it against Championship defences are all different things and there's plenty examples of players with pace who have failed to do anything at Championship level.

Ultimately Wagner was given a task of playoffs or bust. Of course he was going to go with experience under that remit.

36 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Great post, mate. One very minor point of order; Barden is 23, not 22. I wouldn't be surprised to see either him or Reyes go out on loan, with the other being our third-choice goalkeeper and number-one for the PL2 side.

As for the centre backs, I have a hunch that neither Tomkinson nor Warner will make the grade. Neither particularly excelled in League Two last season, and both are out of contract next summer (albeit we have the option of an extra year on Tomkinson).

Based on the very limited amount that I saw from highlights last season, Adegboyega and Hills are most likely to be in the squad next season; as with the goalkeepers, probably one to stay as a regular for the PL2 side and backup for the first team, and the other out on loan (probably to League One).

All four of those are right-footed, so would likely be behind Hanley and Duffy in the pecking order unless one of those two is sold. Hills is out of contract next summer but we can extend to 2026, and I can't find any information on the length of contract Adegboyega signed when we acquired him from Drogheda last summer (although with these young acquisitions it's usually at least three years, so I'd bet on him being tied down until 2026 at least).

There's also Lewis Shipley, who is left-footed and can play as a centre-back but was almost exclusively a left-back for Accrington last season. Finally, there's young Waylon Renecke, who's only 18 but was a regular in the PL2 side last season and was an unused substitute for one first-team game towards the end of the season. Suffice to say we are 'stacked' in that position!

Yes, absolutely this-two great posts and agree,, Hills and Adeboyega are the stand out pair and look worthy of a chance to make themselves a place in the first team squad. Can see Tomkinson and Warner both moving on with the security of a sell on-we can't hope to keep/play them all and if there is a profit to be made, well...

Guilherme Montóia is one to watch as well with regard to breaking through into 1st team contention.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

Yes, absolutely this-two great posts and agree,, Hills and Adeboyega are the stand out pair and look worthy of a chance to make themselves a place in the first team squad. Can see Tomkinson and Warner both moving on with the security of a sell on-we can't hope to keep/play them all and if there is a profit to be made, well...

Guilherme Montóia is one to watch as well with regard to breaking through into 1st team contention.

Thanks, Shuck. I'd expect Fisher and Montóia to be the backup full-backs behind Stacey and a new signing (potentially Frese). One would expect Liam Gibbs to get more match time too. What are your thoughts on Springett and Welch (and any other academy midfielders who might come into contention)? I just don't see much in Springett to be honest, would be very surprised if he made it. Welch is quite highly rated, but I've not seen enough of him to make a judgement. A bit too soon for Gabe Forsyth and Elliot Myles, you'd think, although I'm aware that they are both very well thought of in academy circles.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, chicken said:

Defenders tend to mature at senior level at a later age than other outfield players, so 20-22 is still relatively young. Will be interesting to see where they go next, which ones need a spell in L1 versus those who could potentially step up now.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Thanks Wolfy. Agree with all of that.

Decision on whether Tomkinson and Warner are good enough, if not moved on depending upon wages. It may suit us to loan again unless a transfer fee can be found for either of them if deemed surplus to requirements.

I confess to not knowing a lot about Shipley either, 21 in November(I think unless I get it wrong again! :D).

I think the stats support that too, as you say, the other two having made more of an impact and a good bit younger. It just depends upon whether or not they feel their development is better off on loan to say, a league one club next season rather than sat on the bench here or in the PL2 squad.

46 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Ultimately Wagner was given a task of playoffs or bust

Turned out to be both.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

I have been following Tomkinson FTW as he had been playing locally to me last season.

I think this link gives quite a bit of insight. Interesting relationship with Josh. Having  seen him, he does have pace and is strong too. I'm unsure whether he might make the jump up to Championship level but I'm sure he will have been monitored.

My eldest spoke to him in a supermarket in Leeds and he was very unsure what his future held. Not long to hear what JHT thinks and another interesting aspect is the importance of the pre season and being fit just before and during!

https://sbisoccer.com/2024/02/jonathan-tomkinson-thriving-in-loan-spell-at-bradford-city

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I have been following Tomkinson FTW as he had been playing locally to me last season.

I think this link gives quite a bit of insight. Interesting relationship with Josh. Having  seen him, he does have pace and is strong too. I'm unsure whether he might make the jump up to Championship level but I'm sure he will have been monitored.

My eldest spoke to him in a supermarket in Leeds and he was very unsure what his future held. Not long to hear what JHT thinks and another interesting aspect is the importance of the pre season and being fit just before and during!

https://sbisoccer.com/2024/02/jonathan-tomkinson-thriving-in-loan-spell-at-bradford-city

The big problem (?) for Tomkinson is that he will miss virtually all preseason because of (likely) selection for the US Olympic squad.

The US play their first match on July 24, then 27th and then 30th, plus later knock-out rounds, if they qualify.

At worst (or best), Tomkinson could be playing in the Olympic final on Aug 9th!

Dunno if a team would seek a season-long loan for someone with no preseason behind him. Or maybe this is a good opportunity to keep Tomkinson at NCFC as part of the senior squad (and hope that we get through Sept without serious CB injuries)

3 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

The big problem (?) for Tomkinson is that he will miss virtually all preseason because of (likely) selection for the US Olympic squad.

The US play their first match on July 24, then 27th and then 30th, plus later knock-out rounds, if they qualify.

At worst (or best), Tomkinson could be playing in the Olympic final on Aug 9th!

Dunno if a team would seek a season-long loan for someone with no preseason behind him. Or maybe this is a good opportunity to keep Tomkinson at NCFC as part of the senior squad (and hope that we get through Sept without serious CB injuries)

Quite so. A good observation. You'd think if you're decent enough at such an age to represent your country and keep being selected then you must have something about you? 

I know Bradford fans rated him. I felt he was decent in the games I watched him in. In the highlights I felt his positioning might have been better. Overall though he played many times in a tough L2 campaign. Just the experience surely we might have wanted for one of our younger players. I'm not a huge critic of Hanley and Duffy but I just hope we introduce some new blood very soon. Hoff seems to have the reputation for it but we will see. For Tomkinson (and Hills) it will be interesting to watch what happens.

Hills was even a captain for Accrington on a couple of occasions. That is very impressive for a young loanee. He must have something about him to achieve that on his character.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I mean, that's a big jump. Just having pace and nothing else or knowing how to use it against Championship defences are all different things and there's plenty examples of players with pace who have failed to do anything at Championship level.

Ultimately Wagner was given a task of playoffs or bust. Of course he was going to go with experience under that remit.

Not at all saying we'd be guaranteed to have done any better if we had given him more minutes. However I do think it's true we looked very obviously worse whenever Barnes was up top without someone fast e.g. Sargent there with him. Defences could push right up to the halfway line without any fear of the ball in behind and we would get completely stuck in our own half. 

In Wagner's very esoteric system, Aboh was probably the closest physical fit to what the Sargent role required IMO. I will say I admire your restraint in not taking the opportunity to underline how unsuitable SvH was for this role also 😉

Edited by Mason 47

24 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Quite so. A good observation. You'd think if you're decent enough at such an age to represent your country and keep being selected then you must have something about you? 

I know Bradford fans rated him. I felt he was decent in the games I watched him in. In the highlights I felt his positioning might have been better. Overall though he played many times in a tough L2 campaign. Just the experience surely we might have wanted for one of our younger players. I'm not a huge critic of Hanley and Duffy but I just hope we introduce some new blood very soon. Hoff seems to have the reputation for it but we will see. For Tomkinson (and Hills) it will be interesting to watch what happens.

Hills was even a captain for Accrington on a couple of occasions. That is very impressive for a young loanee. He must have something about him to achieve that on his character.

Mark Hughes actively pursued & recruited JT and then just didn't select him, preferring senior players (sound familiar?)

Only NCFC know how they rank our CBs, and only early August will reveal their thinking.

32 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Mark Hughes actively pursued & recruited JT and then just didn't select him, preferring senior players (sound familiar?)

Only NCFC know how they rank our CBs, and only early August will reveal their thinking.

Hughes did but then he was sacked NNC. Graham Alexander came in and put JT in for most of his 28 games - although he went down the pecking order for the last few matches of the season.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Hughes did but then he was sacked NNC. Graham Alexander came in and put JT in for most of his 28 games - although he went down the pecking order for the last few matches of the season.

I put more faith in our new boy, our youth and our manager than many seem to . We have alternatives as well KM and Sorensen.)

If only we could unload Duffy, whilst Hanley's recent massive injury seems to have finished him.

A good servant, perhaps a move to a Scottish club would be the ideal finish to his City career.

Clean sweeps should not come in half-measures.

Soz. Wrong poster quoted.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Not at all saying we'd be guaranteed to have done any better if we had given him more minutes. However I do think it's true we looked very obviously worse whenever Barnes was up top without someone fast e.g. Sargent there with him. Defences could push right up to the halfway line without any fear of the ball in behind and we would get completely stuck in our own half. 

In Wagner's very esoteric system, Aboh was probably the closest physical fit to what the Sargent role required IMO. I will say I admire your restraint in not taking the opportunity to underline how unsuitable SvH was for this role also 😉

Thanks, it was really tough but I'm trying to draw a line and move on*

*However, should Cordoba look as terribly unsuited as SvH i reserve right to make comparisons despite different playing positions.

11 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Thanks, Shuck. I'd expect Fisher and Montóia to be the backup full-backs behind Stacey and a new signing (potentially Frese). One would expect Liam Gibbs to get more match time too. What are your thoughts on Springett and Welch (and any other academy midfielders who might come into contention)? I just don't see much in Springett to be honest, would be very surprised if he made it. Welch is quite highly rated, but I've not seen enough of him to make a judgement. A bit too soon for Gabe Forsyth and Elliot Myles, you'd think, although I'm aware that they are both very well thought of in academy circles.

Big season for Fisher. Stacey will be hard to shift but his England call up, albeit at a junior level, will have opened a few eyes to how he is regarded in the game. We're nicely covered at right back now and I hope the two of them enjoy the battle and raise their games accordingly.

Springett hasn't stood out in his loans like some of the others have. I'm sure the new coaching time will give him a chance but he hasn't, thus far, made an impression on any appearances he's made for us. Welch and Forsyth two more hugely well regarded, suspect they'll get loans at some point.

I'd hope the new Academy head puts more of a priority on winning games, It's all very well saying its about playing and performances at that level but its got a hell of a lot to do with mentality/confidence as well, and losing week after week isn't a good ritual to get them in. Play the same way as the first team and look to win games, the young players who push on will have that mentality about them & its a better habit to imbue rather than this flim flam about learning to play coming above winning. Playing is about winning so get them in the habit. 

• Like 1

On 15/06/2024 at 13:00, Feedthewolf said:

Excellent, thanks guys. Here's the transcript for the section pertaining to Aboh:

AH: What is the latest on Ken Aboh? We know there's a contractual situation on-going there. A young player who made his first team debut under David Wagner towards the end of last season. We watched him at Old Trafford in the Under-21s and he certainly looked like a player that was far too good for that level. Where are we at with him at the moment? Is he someone that Norwich can factor in for this season?

PD: By all accounts, the parties are on the same page. It's agreed but in terms of maybe the paperwork elements it might be next week, onwards, that it is actually confirmed. But unless there's been an 11th hour curveball then Ken Aboh will be a Norwich player moving forward, which is great news because, again, it chimes with what Thorup and Knapper are trying to do and develop their own. 

By a long stretch he looked probably the best of the development crop last season. Of course, there's the imponderables around can they step up and can handle it? And with that in mind, I think you'd probably would feel they would look to get out on loan, maybe in an Abu Kamara or Brad Hills style of picking the right loan at the right level of the Football League

Bearing in mind how little live Academy football the Archant crew watch I really don't know how they can say this with a straight face.

45 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Bearing in mind how little live Academy football the Archant crew watch I really don't know how they can say this with a straight face.

I always appreciate your insight on the youth, so feel free to enlighten us on your take if you have the time and inclination! 🙂

48 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:
On 15/06/2024 at 13:00, Feedthewolf said:

By a long stretch he looked probably the best of the development crop last season.

"By a long stretch" he looked "Probably" the best, is how they say it! 🙂

• Haha 1