3 hours ago, hogesar said:

I wasn't worried about him leaving before last night anyway. He's been great for us. But there's not many Prem teams needing a number one who would see him as an improvement.

Think that’s the crux of it. He’s a good Championship keeper but what PL team is looking for a good Championship keeper to be their no 1?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, king canary said:

The point with the first shot is that he did get enough on it to divert it wide, his hand/wrist was weak. That isn't a harsh interpretation, it's just what happened. Ask any keeper and they'll tell you that if they got as much behind a shot as Gunn did with that one then they should be keeping it out. 

I doubt anyone would argue that point if he didn't play for Norwich.

I agree with @Feedthewolf . Not weak, just a tad unlucky for goal number one. He was on his line - which is where he should have been given the defensive situation - and that made pushing the ball away very difficult.  In myriad other situations where you see goalkeepers pushing the ball away, they are invariably a step or two in front of their line which makes pushing the ball away from danger easier.  The strike was fierce from right in front of him, little time to react, did well to do all but save it. Yes, he'd be disappointed he didn't push it away, but it was not from being "weak" - it was just the circumstances of what he was faced with. You win some you lose some - the striker won that time.

41 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I agree with @Feedthewolf . Not weak, just a tad unlucky for goal number one. 

It was a weak wrist . I spent 10 years watching GK coaching with my offspring . Get a full hand on it and the GK should save it . 
All of the ex pros summarising said so , Gunn will say so too. I understand the sympathy , but you do at times have to take the word of ex professional footballers over a few posters on a message board .

A world class keeper saves the 1st and 5th goal, but in the Championship you don't often see such quality finishing.

Plenty good enough for us and it's important he starts the season for us full of confidence. Hopefully he will have better defenders on front of him too.

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

It was a weak wrist . I spent 10 years watching GK coaching with my offspring . Get a full hand on it and the GK should save it . 
All of the ex pros summarising said so , Gunn will say so too. I understand the sympathy , but you do at times have to take the word of ex professional footballers over a few posters on a message board .

To say its "weak wrist" just seems unecessarily derogatory to the player.  A lot of it is down to the power behind the ball, the spin and the lack of time to get down to the shot that caused the rebound to come off his hand at the angle it did. 

I'd agree that most goalkeepers would be disappointed to not save, having got a hand to it, but sometimes the odds are against you, as they were here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

To say its "weak wrist" just seems unecessarily derogatory to the player.  A lot of it is down to the power behind the ball, the spin and the lack of time to get down to the shot that caused the rebound to come off his hand at the angle it did. 

I'd agree that most goalkeepers would be disappointed to not save, having got a hand to it, but sometimes the odds are against you, as they were here. 

Getting a hand to the ball and not shifting it is literally the definition of a weak wristed attempt. 

Ex keeper by the way 👍🙏🤟

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Agree with King et al about the first goal. He got most of a hand onto it, and was standing in front of the goal line. Therefore he got a full hand on a ball that still travelled beyond the line. To not even just get it sideways shows his hand bent backwards like a saloon door being pushed aside. Hands bend at the wrist, so his wrist was not strong enough. He obviously has stronger wrists than me, but I reckon there’s a few adolescent lads whose wrists could’ve kept that out 🫣

Edited by SwearyCanary

Posted (edited)

I think he’s a decent keeper. Made great saves in games we could have lost otherwise last year. Just at fault last night imo 

Edited by SwearyCanary

4 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Getting a hand to the ball and not shifting it is literally the definition of a weak wristed attempt. 

Ex keeper by the way 👍🙏🤟

As a goalkeeper you will know that if a shot is very strong, there is practically no time to react and the ball will arrive too quickly to be able to get your hand/arm set correctly. This shot was fierce, quite low and quite close to him, almost no time to react and it was a terrific attempt to save the ball and unlucky not to have kept it out.  He did well to do what he did and push it on to the post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

As a goalkeeper you will know that if a shot is very strong, there is practically no time to react and the ball will arrive too quickly to be able to get your hand/arm set correctly. This shot was fierce, quite low and quite close to him, almost no time to react and it was a terrific attempt to save the ball and unlucky not to have kept it out.  He did well to do what he did and push it on to the post.

Or, as the rest of the watching world sees it, that he got down to it was a positive, the fact he then didn't keep it out is poor.

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Or, as the rest of the watching world sees it, that he got down to it was a positive, the fact he then didn't keep it out is poor.

Lakey is like a child. He thinks if he keeps saying something it will come true. He’ll be back soon to tell us exactly the same thing with slightly different words  . Stand by . 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Lakey is like a child. He thinks if he keeps saying something it will come true. He’ll be back soon to tell us exactly the same thing with slightly different words  . Stand by . 

Here you are then.

All I would say is take another look at the goal. Look at it from the view behind the striker and you will see no weakness in the wrist - his hand/arm are straight the whole time, no buckling of the wrist. It was simply a good strike, little time to react and he got a good hand to it. He would be disappointed he didn't keep it out, but this constant accusation of "weak wrist" is just nonsense. 

Edited by lake district canary
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Here you are then.

All I would say is take another look at the goal. Look at it from the view behind the striker and you will see no weakness in the wrist - his hand/arm are straight the whole time, no buckling of the wrist. It was simply a good strike, little time to react and he got a good hand to it. He would be disappointed he didn't keep it out, but this constant accusation of "weak wrist" is just nonsense. 

Ha ha ha . Great stuff Lakey. 🤣

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

No, as a goalkeeper I know that no matter how " fierce " a strike is, if I get a GOOD STRONG HAND, or arm or face or **** in the way of it, I keep it out and/or away

If I don't, it goes through me or bounces off like a spud ready for an attacker to pounce. 

Oh and too the other response, a straight arm means nothing. I can save a ball with an arm like a pretzel, as long as my hand/fingers/wrist is strong enough. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

Gunn is a good Championship goalkeeper. Nothing more, nothing less. If we do get back into the Premiership then he will have to be replaced with someone better, like a lot of other players. 

Gunn will never be a Premier League-level keeper. He showed at Southampton just how poor he was against that sort of quality, which he'd be facing every week. 

If he was that great then someone would have taken him off us by now. 

17 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Yeah, I guess that with 24 hours to reflect on it, the ex-pros and pundits are probably right. I still maintain that his reactions were excellent to get that hand on it in the first place, though, and a lot of goalkeepers wouldn't have got the hand on it at all.

23 hours ago, king canary said:

This is the most charitable possible interpretation of his night- basically just writing everything he didn't do well off as bad luck.

Yes you can say he did well do get down to the first shot - but once you get a hand on it like that you have to keep it out. Same with the disallowed goal- it isn't 'unlucky' that it landed in, it's a direct result of a weak save.

Agree. Total nonsense post. He had a bad game last night and at Elland Road. Two high profile games and he's had a shocker in both. No hiding that. That's not saying he's a bad keeper, but it is just the reality of the situation and to claim otherwise is basically just lying coz of who he is.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yeah, I guess that with 24 hours to reflect on it, the ex-pros and pundits are probably right. I still maintain that his reactions were excellent to get that hand on it in the first place, though, and a lot of goalkeepers wouldn't have got the hand on it at all.

Can’t argue with that . The coaches would say “you did the hard bit “ by getting down to it so well. 

• Like 1

Not one of young Gunn's best games but there were 10 (then 9) of his players in front of him that also didn't actually cover themselves in football glory...

If he's selected for the next game I'm sure he'll do ok....ish.... 

11 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Not one of young Gunn's best games but there were 10 (then 9) of his players in front of him that also didn't actually cover themselves in football glory...

If he's selected for the next game I'm sure he'll do ok....ish.... 

Absolutely. It wasn’t just Angus that’s for sure . 

20 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Think that’s the crux of it. He’s a good Championship keeper but what PL team is looking for a good Championship keeper to be their no 1?

Yeah, he's right where he should be with us. Top championship keeper, probably not good enough to make a premier league team think about spending the £7/8m+ we'd likely want for him.

If he is going to be in the Premier League it'll either be with us or if he moves on a free when his contract runs out.

• Like 1

Don’t forget that Gunn is probably one of our highest earners so I don’t see Norwich being too upset if Gunn left either this summer or next season at the end of his contract. 

Posted (edited)
On 15/06/2024 at 08:13, Jersey Canary said:

I keep hearing rumours that if Gunn has a good Euro’s he may look to leave Norwich to go to the PL.

He's conceded 9 goals in his last two games, 4 against Leeds and then 5 on Friday.

In each game I'd argue he should have done much better for 2 of the goals.

If he's trying to put himself in the shop window then it must be a shop on Magdalen Street rather than Gentleman's Walk.

I think the reality is that he is as good of a goalkeeper as we could realistically expect right now, but that in terms of English football we're as good of a club he could realistically expect if he wants to be a first choice keeper.

If he wants to move to what is perceived to be a bigger club and experience a higher level of football, then his best bet is running his contract down to join Celtic or Rangers, where he might he able to play the odd big side in Europe.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

19 hours ago, Conrad said:

Gunn is a good Championship goalkeeper. Nothing more, nothing less. If we do get back into the Premiership then he will have to be replaced with someone better, like a lot of other players. 

Agree. He's a Premier League number 2, or a Championship number 1. 

There's no shame in that, its just the reality of his standard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Bristol Nest said:

I'm just glad he had a bad game playing for Scotland not us.

He had a poor game at Leeds and didn't finish the season that strongly imo and seems to have carried that form with Scotland.

We need him back to his best for next season.