Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

Sir Alan Bates

Recommended Posts

Amongst plenty of others Alan Bates the post office campaigner, becomes Sir Alan Bates in the Kings Honours List.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sir Bill Browder too. Is the King trying to tell us something?ūüėČ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only wish is that they change the 'British Empire' to 'The Commonwealth' in the name of these titles.

Many people deserve recognition but feel they have to turn it down due the connection with the Empire.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is to be an honours system then Alan bates is absolutely the right person to be awarded a knighthood. Without his astonishing resilience and perseverance one of the greatest miscarriages of justice and systematic corporate fraud would have remained covered up forever by powerful establishment figures. He is one of a very few knighted individuals I would certainly refer to as "Sir" (compare Rees-Bogg). I hope he has a wonderful day receiving his honour, and uses it to pursue justice for every single one of the postmasters so horribly wronged. 

It's just a shame that these lists of honours are now transparently an exercise in deception in order to keep a corrupt honours system going. They always manage to find at least one very deserving person to dominate all the headlines in order to smuggle through a host of undeserving political party donors, hacks, establishment cronies, and others who have clearly "paid" for their award. Time to scrap the honours system as we know it. As the saying goes, virtue is its own reward.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, horsefly said:

If there is to be an honours system then Alan bates is absolutely the right person to be awarded a knighthood. Without his astonishing resilience and perseverance one of the greatest miscarriages of justice and systematic corporate fraud would have remained covered up forever by powerful establishment figures. He is one of a very few knighted individuals I would certainly refer to as "Sir" (compare Rees-Bogg). I hope he has a wonderful day receiving his honour, and uses it to pursue justice for every single one of the postmasters so horribly wronged. 

It's just a shame that these lists of honours are now transparently an exercise in deception in order to keep a corrupt honours system going. They always manage to find at least one very deserving person to dominate all the headlines in order to smuggle through a host of undeserving political party donors, hacks, establishment cronies, and others who have clearly "paid" for their award. Time to scrap the honours system as we know it. As the saying goes, virtue is its own reward.

Absolutely, there can be no doubt whatsoever that Alan Bates richly deserves this honour, and of course he isn't the only one, but as you say he is very much the exception rather than the rule.

It is a truly rotten system which needs to be either scrapped completely or so drastically overhauled that only exceptional and genuinely deserving people, such as Alan Bates, receive honours.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Absolutely, there can be no doubt whatsoever that Alan Bates richly deserves this honour, and of course he isn't the only one, but as you say he is very much the exception rather than the rule.

It is a truly rotten system which needs to be either scrapped completely or so drastically overhauled that only exceptional and genuinely deserving people, such as Alan Bates, receive honours.

 

Get rid of the Royal honours list completely (An absurdity in a democracy), and replace the other honours lists with the award of 10 "medal(s) of national honour" in an annual ceremony, where the achievements of those 10 individuals can be properly identified and celebrated. No anachronistic titles, no ennobling lackies and grifters into an unelected second chamber, no awards for celebrities (sporting, acting, or otherwise) who are already recognised in a plethora of industry awards. Just 10 people a year recognised for the outstanding contribution they have made to society.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, horsefly said:

If there is to be an honours system then Alan bates is absolutely the right person to be awarded a knighthood. Without his astonishing resilience and perseverance one of the greatest miscarriages of justice and systematic corporate fraud would have remained covered up forever by powerful establishment figures. He is one of a very few knighted individuals I would certainly refer to as "Sir" (compare Rees-Bogg). I hope he has a wonderful day receiving his honour, and uses it to pursue justice for every single one of the postmasters so horribly wronged. 

It's just a shame that these lists of honours are now transparently an exercise in deception in order to keep a corrupt honours system going. They always manage to find at least one very deserving person to dominate all the headlines in order to smuggle through a host of undeserving political party donors, hacks, establishment cronies, and others who have clearly "paid" for their award. Time to scrap the honours system as we know it. As the saying goes, virtue is its own reward.

Like this do you mean?

https://x.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1801891155811962903

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The biggest tragedy of getting rid of the honours system would be no longer having the pleasure of seeing lefties going off on one about it at regular intervals.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I love the establishment taking the **** out of us all because it upsets the right people." LYB

What a mug.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The biggest tragedy of getting rid of the honours system would be no longer having the pleasure of seeing lefties going off on one about it at regular intervals.

The 'lefties' who read the Daily Mail don't seem too impressed by the whole thing. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13532349/Duran-Durans-Simon-Le-Bon-Strictlys-Amy-Dowden-thrilled-receive-MBEs-lead-known-faces-King-Charles-birthday-honours.html#comments

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Herman said:

"I love the establishment taking the **** out of us all because it upsets the right people." LYB

What a mug.

The only mugs are those who believe getting rid of honours will make everyone equal because they put more weight on symbolism and gestures than reality.

Basically, in simple terms, mugs like you.

What’s two Jags up to these days, Herman?

Edit: My bad; Lord Two Jags.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Yes - It seems the ones that are easily 'bought' are most in favour of it as it stands.

It surely needs reform to have any meaning whatsoever - no political/sport/showbiz gongs but only for truly exceptional people or unrewarded actions above and well beyond any normal 'job'. I guess as per the monarchy it sells a few papers still and keeps some media luvvies employed.

The 2nd house clearly also needs reform but I'm more open there to experts to scrutinize proposed legislation (and no that's not the odd political advisor but perhaps senior ex-cabinet ministers, judges, scientists. medics, engineers etc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Peerages are political appointments, knighthood and other honours are rewards for achievement above and beyond what the recipient took home in salary.   If you look at it that way you'll not be outraged so much

The outrage will magically disappear once Labour have been in power a year or two and haven't done anything about it, just like last time, only for the outrage to reappear once they lose power.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The outrage will magically disappear once Labour have been in power a year or two and haven't done anything about it, just like last time, only for the outrage to reappear once they lose power.

You seem outraged about the outrage.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The only mugs are those who believe getting rid of honours will make everyone equal

Not one person has said that, and I guarantee that no one on here would be stupid enough to think that. Your typical tactic of lying about what others have said or think so you can spew out more of your tripe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would have been funny to see Angela Rayner get a Damehood so we could all sit back and watch one of the great mantrums of our time.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Not one person has said that, and I guarantee that no one on here would be stupid enough to think that. Your typical tactic of lying about what others have said or think so you can spew out more of your tripe.

Then it's even more baffling why you wallies are so obsessed with it, especially when your own precious party has a big record of whining about it in opposition but not doing anything about it in government.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It would have been funny to see Angela Rayner get a Damehood so we could all sit back and watch one of the great mantrums of our time.

She deserves one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It would have been funny to see Angela Rayner get a Damehood so we could all sit back and watch one of the great mantrums of our time.

That would certainly fit with your narrative about them giving honours to any old reprobate, for sure. ūüôā

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Not one person has said that, and I guarantee that no one on here would be stupid enough to think that. Your typical tactic of lying about what others have said or think so you can spew out more of your tripe.

Often with a side order of bile.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

She deserves one. 

Definitely, for her honesty, integrity and ability to trigger Daily Mail disciples.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...