Sign in to follow this  
Morph

Where do City need to buy?

Wanted to generate some discussion over the current squad now that City have gained promotion and wanted some help from the posters here in the forum.

If City needed to strengthen the squad, some say they do, some say they don''t; but at what positions do they need cover?

GK: Green, Crichton, Lewis - need another top keeper - don''t think so

LB: Drury, Brennan, who else? Shackell tried but by all accounts had no success.

RB: Edworthy, Fleming, Holt? - but where is the other cover?

CB: Fleming, Mackay, Shackell, who else? Brondby came in for this position on loan but there have been no other signings to replace the loss of Kenton.

LM/LW: McVeigh, Brennan, Huckerby, Cooper (permanent?), Easton

RM/RW: Mulryne, McVeigh, Henderson, Cooper, Rivers (or is he gone?)

CM: Holt, Francis, Mulryne, Cooper - if you have Holt and Francis injured who plays then?

FW: McKenzie, Svensson, Huckerby, Roberts (last season?), Abbey (injury prone?), Jarvis

Looking at that list I''d be most concerned about the centre back position as well as cover at right back. That said a couple of injuries to the motor men in the middle of the park might leave City a little short staffed.

Who''s coming through from the reserves other than the current crop of Shackell, Henderson and Jarvis?

I would have said 5/6.

A cheap reserve goalkeeper. No point in spending loads on someone who is going to sit on the bench.

A young right back. Ross at Rangers has been suggested. A pacey central defender- Robert Huth would be perfect.

Wingers. Certainly right wing. A creative central midfielder- Manu Petit.

Another target man. Want to give Sven a go but perhaps another. Crouch, Ashton?

That''d do me!

I agree DD that we need a central midfielder, wide right, another striker (god forbid but what happens if Hux gets injured?!) at least one central defender and a right back.

As far as the keeper is concerned I would play percentages and stick with Crichton - I would put the wages saved into getting that creative midfielder. As DD says if we can get someone younger then do so but dont waste a lot of time trying to find one.

As far as Shackell & Jarvis are concerned I would be tempted to loan him out for the season to somewhere like Bournemouth with a call back clause. That would keep them as city players but give them first team experience without the pressure of having to perform as they would next season.

Bournmouth have this fantastic ability of loaning a player and when he returns to his club turns into a superstar. Rio Ferdinand and Jermaine Defoe to name a couple. Maybe Jarvis, Hendo and Shackell would do well there.

It''s all in the healing powers of the sea water and breathing in that salty sea air, DD! Mends the body and soothes the soul = a happy chappy on the pitch...a bit like being in Cromer, Sheringham, etc. I agree with you - it could work wonders for them!

Well I go to Uni on the South coast (Portsmouth) Do you think the gorgeous scenery, sunny days, sea air and P&O ferries might have the same effect on me. Place in the Premiership and 30K a week here I come ;-)