Sign in to follow this  
morty

Scapegoats

We always have to have one, don''t we? Whether it''s Hughesey, Etuhu, Robinson, Fleming, (insert name here), and now it''s Robert Green''s turn. Well, why not? He''s about the only player that hasn''t been roundly slagged so far this season, so let''s all give him some crap shall we?

I fully agreed with what he had to say on Radio Norfolk, all those muppets jeering him must clearly know more about goalkeeping than Ray Clemence who deems him worthy of an England place. I am a fan and I have played football but I do not profess to know everything about the game, maybe some of us armchair critics need to give the players a break, do you think they like losing?

An interesting point was made on Radio Norfolk about the reciprocal effect between players and fans, ie if the fans cheer the players will respond and if the players play well then the fans will respond in like. Well is this some sort of Mexican stand off? Shall we all sit quietly in the stands( like today) saying to the players, "No, you go first"??

I am not happy either about the whole situation either but moaning at players really isn''t helping anything. 

I kinof disagree Morty...  The players and coaching staff have been LAZY and hoofing it all seaosn.  The ironic jeers of ''Hoof'' each of the numerous times in the first 20 minutes we worthy style hoofed it - not once did we pass it.  This actually stopped the players from worthy style hoofing it again as every pass was cheered every worthy hoof was jeered.

The players then began to pass it - not particuarly well but erny received his first thru ball in his 10 appearances.....

No I do not think they like losing, but they dont half do a lot of it away from home, remember Burnley?  Did the players really put the effort in (after first 15 mins) to avoid the defeat, If not why not, we all agree they don''t like losing so whats the excuse for not really trying hard?So should we cheer the players?  How can you all clap and cheer the players onto the pitch after a poor away performance where very little effort has been put in by them?  A silent protest at that point may just let the players know exactly what some of us feel after a poor performance.  When the game really starts thats when we should get behind them and cheer.Than again thats exactly what us fans do at away games, we cheer, we sing out little canary hearts out, we fully support the boys, "we''re gonna win here" we say, we get our support in first.  The players reciporical response (as pointed out on Radio Norfolk) should be to raise their game and thank their loyal supporters for travelling miles and spending their hard earned cash?  Well witness their responses at: Stoke, Watford, Luton, QPR, Wolves, Millwall, Derby, Reading, Crystal Palace and Burnley.  10 (ten) games where they didn''t reciprocally respond to our support, add to that the home games versus Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Preston and Ip****h and thats why there is the Mexican stand off; because in 25% of the games the players cant be @rsed.  Well sometimes, I cant be @rsed either and today was one of them, today they owed it to me and 23,000 other home fans to put in a decent performance first and then we will reciprocally respond to their performance!I and many others did not moan at the players at the ground, the moaning (as with the protests) are by a tiny (but vocal) minority.  We all know that it doesnt help matters, but sometimes, just sometimes it is understandable as to why it occurs.PS name here was rubbish today, I can''t understand how he gets in the side. :-)

nice post freddy H, as much as i hate not cheering on the team sometimes they need to see how disappointed we are and realise they are letting us down

"all those muppets jeering him"

so half the stadium are muppetts are they, muppetts for having enough of hoofball, muppetts for putting their point of view across without demonstrating outside, muppetts for daring to question the tictacs, muppetts for actually having an impact on our style of play - where no-one else has achiecved anything.

IMO he wasnt jeered, he was cheered, there is a big, big difference.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

I kinof disagree Morty...  The players and coaching staff have been LAZY and hoofing it all seaosn.  The ironic jeers of ''Hoof'' each of the numerous times in the first 20 minutes we worthy style hoofed it - not once did we pass it.  This actually stopped the players from worthy style hoofing it again as every pass was cheered every worthy hoof was jeered.

The players then began to pass it - not particuarly well but erny received his first thru ball in his 10 appearances.....

[/quote]I think Morty is saying that having been shown the feelings of the crowd for some weeks now perhaps it is time that things were changed?And you keep banging on about Worthy style hoofing! Please please please don''t! I think you will find the truth of the matter is that at some periods this season we have actually resorted to Hamilton hoofing, Deehan walloping and possibly even Megson whacking!You go on about how Worthington has given us good seasons of football in the past and then say his prefered method of football tactics is hoofing. There is no evidence to suggest this.Admittedly the first half a season or so in charge it looked that way but we were facing relegation and he got the defence to tighten up and stop conceeding. After that though the football rapidly improved towards a more passing based game - believe it or not where Norwich renewed their fame of being able to pass the ball well.It has to be said at this point that the best football Norwich have played - passing wise - in the last ten or so years has been under Worthington, for me there is no doubt.Last season we were praised by everyone and anyone in the premiership and the FA for trying to compete in an honoured footballing fashion. I can list countless managers and pundits that mentioned that we just lacked cutting edge in the first half of last season or that they admired Norwich for taking on even the best passing teams in the country with "our" way of football. Wenger, Mourinho, Fergie etc etc etc.Now if you want to take that away from our club and say different that is fine but you are arguing against the words of managers and pundits that have been named the best in their profession. Very unwise not to atleast admit that we did get quite a lot right last season even if we did miss out on survival by one or two points.As I have said before - the instinctive thing to do as a team feeling negative pressure is to play hot potato and there for the defence just hacks it away asap. I know - I had to take over a failing team this season after the manager was sacked for administrative reasons as well as performance reasons. The team had been playing badly all season and I had been on the bench for the most of it as a newcomer in his first season.A few players left because of the situation and I had to bring in new young and fresh players - just like Worthington has this season. I was in complete charge for the last three games of the season. The first was mainly terrible - the defence hoofed the ball up the park bypassing midfield and as we lack a real targed man unless the ball goes over the back four or lands just in front our strikers had no chance. I lost my voice that day firstly commanding the team from the middle of the park in midfield winning the ball and passing it around and then from the sidelines after I subbed myself off.The last two games were played along the deck and although my team did get relegated we played the team at the top of the league who were so impressed with out performance against them that they thought we had "ringers" in the team and that we should be a lot higher up the table if we had played like that the whole season.It goes to show that if you have anything negative going on with a team and they are allowed to get into a rut, by the manager, by the supporters then you can''t expect them to get out of it easily.And this is what has struck me this season. I have blamed the fans in previous posts - but thats because if you read all of the comments on here then you would still expect the noise. People saying I support the team just not Worthington. I would love to see us loose this weekend just to see Worthington go. I want Worthington out but I will still cheer our team on.They are all lies and that is what the Worthington out campaign has turned into. Without any real leadership or organisation it has turned into a whinging patrol. They complain about every player, club official, fan or board member that happens to utter any of the said peoples names in a possitive light and have driven away the people that have supported one thing and that is they want an improvement in the football.And without trying to produce a scapegoat of my own I do feel it is a minority of the fans that feel this way which includes Citizen Foghorn who has even berated the latest protest!Its a shame but the whole thing seems to have hit self distruct. Originally there was good reason behind it and now the whole lot has been reduced to a shambles. If there is anything I want to forget about this season the priority has to be the way some of the fans have conducted themselves. And that is why I think the club as a whole not just the board, the players or the manager have sit down this summer and reflect on their attitudes and opinions and address where it all went wrong.Are we the club that only "sings when its winning?". I have been through darker days with the club and the snake pit never stopped fighting, the away fans with their chants and never fell silent except for the thirty seconds at have time whilst stuffing the pies and drinks in and the cheerleaders danced!So I say it again - keep it real!