Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Because he's not been as good as others in his position since he got injured. Unfortunately for him, we're stacked in that area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No surprise. Form not good enough, plus I don't think he is Southgate's cup of tea. Only went to Qatar in 2022 because of the media clamour and didn't play a minute in that tournament. Won't play for England again whilst Southgate is in charge IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Because he's not been as good as others in his position since he got injured. Unfortunately for him, we're stacked in that area.

Agreed. But seems a little off to have announced it before the final friendly on Friday and Saturday's official squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No surprise, form and the emergence of palmer and eze limits his chances and not making tomorrow's starting xi meant he heads home.   Deeper Wharton is another who is simply better right now

we have real strength in depth here so nit a good time to be out of form.   Great player poor timing.

Edited by ZLF
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Because he's not been as good as others in his position since he got injured. Unfortunately for him, we're stacked in that area.

Exactly this. We already left the likes of Rashford, Sterling and Sancho out of the 33 (and rightly so), and there'll be a few other quality players missing out in attacking positions because we do have to take some defenders, even though pound-for-pound they aren't as good as the forward players who miss out.

 

31 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Agreed. But seems a little off to have announced it before the final friendly on Friday and Saturday's official squad. 

It hasn't been announced. It has clearly been leaked, and considering that only one name has made it out, it is highly likely to have been someone in Maddison's entourage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He isn’t as good as what he thinks he is and unfortunately for him born at the wrong time with so many great young attacking midfielders.

Only saying after the Bosnia game he never grasps is opportunities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's done the classic thing of removing any mention of 'England' from his social media accounts.

While I love Maddison the player it does seem like Maddison the person is a bit of a prat and doing things like that (especially if it was his camp that leaked him being left out) just kind of reinforces that he should be left out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see both sides of the argument. On merit at the moment, he doesn't deserve a place in the squad. However, there have been multiples times in the past where on merit he absolutely deserved both a place in the squad and the XI but Southgate put him nowhere near it. Having endured that for years, I suspect that has, for him at least, increased the ire he feels at this latest omission.

Southgate has favourites and he's about as far from one as you can get. With a better manager in charge of England, Maddison would have three or four times more caps than he currently does. That must hurt.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I can see both sides of the argument. On merit at the moment, he doesn't deserve a place in the squad. However, there have been multiples times in the past where on merit he absolutely deserved both a place in the squad and the XI but Southgate put him nowhere near it. Having endured that for years, I suspect that has, for him at least, increased the ire he feels at this latest omission.

Southgate has favourites and he's about as far from one as you can get. With a better manager in charge of England, Maddison would have three or four times more caps than he currently does. That must hurt.

I'm not sure that's true, when Maddison's own behaviour has led to omissions from the squad, I'm not sure how many other managers would have given him significant caps over the same period of time - I don't remember another manager in my lifetime who's been so open to using an abundance of young talent. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm not sure that's true, when Maddison's own behaviour has led to omissions from the squad, I'm not sure how many other managers would have given him significant caps over the same period of time - I don't remember another manager in my lifetime who's been so open to using an abundance of young talent. 

 

I'm assuming you're referring to the casino incident after he was sent home from an England camp?

Just imagine if he got arrested for assaulting a police officer and attempted bribery and then proceeded to play consistently like an absolute donkey for his club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone seems to think of footballers as robots, but what about James Maddison the person?

I get why more players on the fringes have retired or refused selection.

Imagine your job, Cambridgeshire, I'll take you as an example, your great at flipping burgers. McDonalds say to you, CC I want you to come to Germany and be apart of a team competing to be the best burger flippers in the world. Now you know your on the fringes of the burger flipping squad, you know on them big days you aren't getting to flip a burger or make the perfect big mac but you have to be there, potentially for 4 weeks, away from Mrs, little boys, dogs, family at a time where you would usually be in Benidorm or Tenerife. You know day in day out you will be practicing flipping burgers  but you know deep in your heart your never going to get chance to do it on stage, you wouldn't want to be there would you?

That's what its like for JM, all that intense training, to sit and watch, realistically if there's a debate about whether you should be in the squad, then you're not getting on the pitch anyway. I completely understand why JM has come home and booked his flights to Dubai for the summer.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

Everyone seems to think of footballers as robots, but what about James Maddison the person?

I get why more players on the fringes have retired or refused selection.

Imagine your job, Cambridgeshire, I'll take you as an example, your great at flipping burgers. McDonalds say to you, CC I want you to come to Germany and be apart of a team competing to be the best burger flippers in the world. Now you know your on the fringes of the burger flipping squad, you know on them big days you aren't getting to flip a burger or make the perfect big mac but you have to be there, potentially for 4 weeks, away from Mrs, little boys, dogs, family at a time where you would usually be in Benidorm or Tenerife. You know day in day out you will be practicing flipping burgers  but you know deep in your heart your never going to get chance to do it on stage, you wouldn't want to be there would you?

That's what its like for JM, all that intense training, to sit and watch, realistically if there's a debate about whether you should be in the squad, then you're not getting on the pitch anyway. I completely understand why JM has come home and booked his flights to Dubai for the summer.

*You're

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Southgate has favourites 

Surely this myth can be debunked after this preliminary Euros squad?

He dropped his old 'favourites' Henderson, Phillips, Sterling and Rashford in favour of players like Mainoo, Wharton, Eze and Palmer, plus a few other untried players like Branthwaite and Quansah.

Every manager in football has their favourites, but only Southgate gets criticised for this, despite being less attached to them than most.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What rubbish. How has he managed the caps he has then? Has been consistently, when fit,  selected for squads for at least two years, and I am sure Southgate was the manager at all times during this period

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd substitute appearance here and there to keep the media off his back. Think he's probably only played the majority of minutes in 3  of those England appearances.

Southgate is more of a politician than a football manager. If Madders was from a poor single parent household in Croyden he'd have 50+ caps by now.

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Could be in the form of his life and Southgate wouldn't pick him. 

Pretty irrelevant when he's not and there's considerably better players ahead of him.

But if he'd had the same attitude as the long list of other young players who've made regular appearances under Southgate, he'd probably be alright. Whilst he was always very polite and friendly in the environments I met him in Norwich, when on night outs etc he was far from a well-liked individual. His personality may not suit the culture of the England camp, which may have hindered some caps but ultimately there's often been better players in front of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Odd substitute appearance here and there to keep the media off his back. 

You think Southgate picks his team to please the media? Then why did he persist with Henderson for so long, and why does he still select Maguire?

I really don't think Maddison is anywhere near important enough for such decision-making to enter Southgate's thinking. 

(Apologies if your post was ironic/joking, and it went over my head)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm assuming you're referring to the casino incident after he was sent home from an England camp?

Just imagine if he got arrested for assaulting a police officer and attempted bribery and then proceeded to play consistently like an absolute donkey for his club.

Or if he were caught drink driving and smashing multiple cars up while doing so. Or being caught and pictured with uh, "women of the night" despite being in a commited relationship. Or if it were claimed it had a very expensive columbian powder habbit.

 

 

Looking at you Grealish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

Agreed. But seems a little off to have announced it before the final friendly on Friday and Saturday's official squad. 

To be fair, it's not actually been officially announced yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bit tricky when you've also got Eze, Foden, Grealish, Palmer, Bellingham, Sancho, Rice, Wharton and Mainoo (suspect I've still missed a few out) all for varying positions in the mixer. Granted, they're not all like-for-like players, but it's also about how they fit in a functional midfield structure to boot, not just their individual talent level.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Surely this myth can be debunked after this preliminary Euros squad?

He dropped his old 'favourites' Henderson, Phillips, Sterling and Rashford in favour of players like Mainoo, Wharton, Eze and Palmer, plus a few other untried players like Branthwaite and Quansah.

Every manager in football has their favourites, but only Southgate gets criticised for this, despite being less attached to them than most.

Agreed. I won't criticize Southgate for this. I will for his overly defence orientated play (fine if you're playing Germany, but if you're playing a low ranked team and you have our good attackers and poor defenders, go full Kevin Keegan on them). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Everyone seems to think of footballers as robots, but what about James Maddison the person?

I get why more players on the fringes have retired or refused selection.

Imagine your job, Cambridgeshire, I'll take you as an example, your great at flipping burgers. McDonalds say to you, CC I want you to come to Germany and be apart of a team competing to be the best burger flippers in the world. Now you know your on the fringes of the burger flipping squad, you know on them big days you aren't getting to flip a burger or make the perfect big mac but you have to be there, potentially for 4 weeks, away from Mrs, little boys, dogs, family at a time where you would usually be in Benidorm or Tenerife. You know day in day out you will be practicing flipping burgers  but you know deep in your heart your never going to get chance to do it on stage, you wouldn't want to be there would you?

That's what its like for JM, all that intense training, to sit and watch, realistically if there's a debate about whether you should be in the squad, then you're not getting on the pitch anyway. I completely understand why JM has come home and booked his flights to Dubai for the summer.

Totally agree there is no issue with him coming home.

I just don't think he can have many complaints about missing out in this squad. We're stacked in his position, he hasn't finished the season in any great form and is said to not have the best attitude so may not be a great person to have around the squad if he isn't getting minutes.

It also quite funny to me that a lot of people who criticise Southgate for having favourites and not picking based on form are now annoyed he isn't picking their personal out of form favourite.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always felt that JM didnt realise which side of  confident v cocky he was on. Talented yes. Indespensable for England ? no.

A healthy portion of humble pie might improve his future chances though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with everyone’s points, I think it comes down to a competition with Palmer, for the back up 10 position.  Personally Eze is the surprise emergence and to be honest I would surprised if both Eze and Gordon don’t go as they are the only two who really drop there shoulder and go past people with pace.  Maddison is up against those that control and use the ball rarely breaking the line.  This year he hasn’t been playing well enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me Madders has been injured this season and Palmer Eze & Gordon are form players, add Bellingham & Foden and you have the core of a brilliant attacking team, Rice has been outstanding then you Saka, in my book far better than Maddison & Grealish! Both would be cropped from my squad!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's released a statement. Sounds very grown-up.

"Devastated doesn't quite cut it. Trained well and worked hard all week but if I’m honest with myself, my form for Spurs when coming back from injury in the second half of the season probably wasn't at the levels I had set which gave Gareth a decision to make.

"I still thought there would be a space for me in a 26-man squad as I feel I bring something different and had been a mainstay in this whole qualifying campaign for Euro 2024 in Germany, but the manager has made the decision and I have to respect that.

"I'll be back, I have no doubt. Wishing the boys all the luck in the world out in Germany, unbelievable group and lads that I literally call some of my best friends. I genuinely hope football comes home."

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...