Yep very sad! Inspirational bloke.

Well said JT. A great man and a legend. May he now RIP. My deepest sympathy to his family

Thanks Til. 

A huge figure up here - I was lucky enough to have a Rhino’s ST in his glory days. 
Followed his career and his heart breaking illness every step of the way. 

Ran the RB Leeds marathon and raised MND money in his honour too. 

A sad day, but happy his suffering is over

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

No words needed.

Indeed not but I will do anyway!

Although I've never been a rugby man, I do know a sporting legend when I see one and RB + of course the giant that is Kevin Sinfield fall full square into that bracket. Not only their exploits on the pitch but the incredible stories off the pitch over the last few years as RB battled that awful disease and his friend was by his side and helped him raise £M's with endless fund raising events and sporting challenges.

Unlike many other diseases, with MND there is NO vaccination, NO 'early diagnosis = potential life saving treatment', NO cure. It's a matter of 'when' and not 'if'. It has always annoyed me why MND is so shamefully underfunded v other diseases many of which have had generations of scientific investigations, tests, and god knows what. The poor souls who get the death sentence that calls itself 'MND' seem to be an almost forgotten footnote in the medical world. It has taken some very high profile cases + the relentless work of people like Sinfeld to raise awareness. In a previous life I had the great fortune to meet an MND sufferer to discuss his pension arrangements when I worked as an IFA in Bury St. Edmunds. He was an ex agricultural worker living beyond Methwold in the Fens. I was greeted with great warmth and kindness by both him and his hardworking, rural family. Nothing was too much trouble for them. At the second meeting I was shocked by the deterioration in his health as the disease rampaged through him. I will openly admit to the bottom lip taking a hell of a pounding as I drove back to civilization along the bouncing concreate track that was meant to be a road. Before long I gave up, pulled over and let the tears flow. I recognised how lucky I was to have met the guy and his family and how completely insignificant my own worries and concerns were at that time. For as long as I live I will never forget that moment.

In Norfolk there's an old saying..............'you need to give yourself a bloody good talking to'. When we obsess about football, political events and the like, we would do well to remember and act upon that old saying and get our priorities right sometimes!         

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Leedscanary said:

Thanks Til. 

A huge figure up here - I was lucky enough to have a Rhino’s ST in his glory days. 

I didn't have a season ticket but spent many nights on the south stand during that time. The man was a legend and a hero even before the strength and bravery he faced this with and despite his size walked taller than almost any other man on the pitch. 

All we can hope is that the work that him and keV have done to raise the profile of this disease and funds to research and support sufferers does not fade away with his passing. He deserves that legacy.

RIP Rob 

25 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

At the second meeting I was shocked by the deterioration in his health as the disease rampaged through him. I will openly admit to the bottom lip taking a hell of a pounding as I drove back to civilization along the bouncing concreate track that was meant to be a road. Before long I gave up, pulled over and let the tears flow. I recognised how lucky I was to have met the guy and his family and how completely insignificant my own worries and concerns were at that time. For as long as I live I will never forget that moment.

That hit me hard. Ive tried to write a piece from what I (the male) point of view was when my wife and I went through IVF - from being told we can't have kids to where we are now.

Your clarity of words hits home. Very eloquent, very warm. 

Thank you

R.I.P. Rob not a rugby fan but you were inspirational till the end

MND is an absolutely torrid disease, did great things in response to his diagnosis after his stellar playing career. Thoughts with his family and loved ones.

I agree class apart and even people I know who have no interest in sport were moved tonight by robs passing and the great support of Kevin Shinfield.

Truly men of Steel rip Rob.

3 hours ago, Leedscanary said:

Thanks Til. 

Strong and sensitive words, pal. An obvious hero to so many and the efforts of Kevin Sinfield dedicated to his mate get deserved praise too.

A dreadfully sad day for not just his fans or those of his sport and his family, but everyone that has been touched by his story, battle and bravery along the way. RIP indeed. 

Posted (edited)

RIP Rob. I am a Wigan supporter who could not help but admire you in your playing days. Together you and Kevin Sinfield have fought heroically to get funds and recognition to fight against this terrible disease. You will be greatly missed by your family and friends I am sure.🌹

Edited by LaUnionCanary
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Indeed not but I will do anyway!

Very glad you did. Absolutely lovely post and a fitting tribute.

I’m a Cas lad, 

Robs parents lived at the top of my street.

I was really close to Lindsay (wife) and brother Mark and their parents up to the age of 13.

Mark has been decorating our new house for the last couple of months.

They are such a loving and strong family and whilst Rob with get all the sentiment, what Lindsay as done for him as been super human.

”It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, is that size of the fight in the dog” was a quote made for Rob.

inspirational on and off the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Main thing is, the suffering's over - and with a condition like MND, it's almost invariably horrible.

Meanwhile, found this - I don't proclaim to be remotely au fait with the biology behind this, but maybe it's a sign that the work done by the likes of Rob Burrow and Doddie Weir (another rugby legend who found his fate in MND) is slowly gaining ground.

Doddie Weir charity 'cautiously excited' as scientists hail new MND test a 'game-changer' | ITV News Border

An inspiration. RIP Rob. 
why o why is it not Sir Kev for the wonderful work and effort he has done to raise the profile of the terrible disease the is MND. 

Posted (edited)

You always hope that as many people as possible will avoid such life-destroying illnesses, but when you see people like Rob Burrows reduced from a fit, strong athlete to someone completely enfeebled by his own immune system, when you see him sitting there smiling and imploring people to make the most of their lives even as his is coming to an end, you can only feel awe at the courage and strength of spirit on display.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 2