Michael Starr

Cantwell trending on Twitter for being a Twit

Was going to post a much longer diatribe as it's a subject I know an awful lot about. Decided against it.

All I'll say is there's a real habit in the modern day to quickly assign neurodivergency to any sort of malbehaviour. A lot of the time, a loud over-active child is just a loud over-active child.

Todd just comes across as a 'local superstar argues parking ticket' type to me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Right because everybody with a neurodivergence is exactly the same, the human mind is that simple, and psychiatrists shouldn't bother with the 11 years of education that it takes to get to the point where you are qualified to diagnose autism, because some bloke on a football forum could just decide that somebody "comes across as a bit autistic". Gothca.

Hypocracy alarm kicking in.

It was you that brought up 'the spectrum'. You can't really criticise others for the same.

It's probably better to frame it more sympathetically and use 'neurodivergent' in the first instance as it is a wider umbrella.

A lot of sports people are neurodivergent, it sort of comes with the territory. ADHD, Dyslexia etc. Many can lead to struggles with mental health or just leave people actually quite vulnerable.

Gazza is the best example out there. He wasn't looked after at all, bar perhaps by Bobby Robson. That should have been the lesson learned by all, it hasn't been sadly. Despite more players coming forwards with problems like Paul Merson.

Fans should be more aware too IMHO. 

• Like 1

going to skip the whole Autism argument since I have one diagnosed Adult son and one 13 year old about to be

both are completely different

and go back to the Whole Cantwell is just a complete **** story

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Paul101 said:

going to skip the whole Autism argument since I have one diagnosed Adult son and one 13 year old about to be

both are completely different

and go back to the Whole Cantwell is just a complete **** story

Football is littered with players who have committed serious crimes and shown themselves to be completely morally bankrupt.

Cantwell's 'crime' is to irritate people a bit from what I can tell, often just fails to read the room. Hardly worthy of becoming a social pariah.

You've got Kyle Walker having a secret second family and using working girls during lockdown. You've got players drink driving, including at least one of ours and allegedly another. Cantwell has managed to get through half a career without any major controversy as far as I can see.

I find it a bit odd really that so much energy and attention is given to him. I honestly think it says a lot more about the people who get wound up by him that they can get so angry about Cantwell being a bit irritating and petulant while continuing to put money into a club which employs 2 drink drivers and 1 drug driver (minus the drug driver on 31st June when his contract ends). Cantwell as far as I'm aware hasn't ever even been given 3 points for speeding in his expensive supercar. What is his crime?

How sad do you need to be to get wound up by Rangers or Celtic related Instagram posts from a former player? Why would you continue to even see these if you don't like him? Don't these people have better things to do than follow people they don't like on social media?

If I were a manager and I had the choice between putting up with the odd weird tik tok dancing video and cryptic tweet but got to have double promotion winning Todd Cantwell in my team, or having a perfect professional but his name was Christian Fassnacht and he only had one pace setting (a slow one) and next to no flair, I'm not saying it is a completely no-brainer but you'd have a serious decision to make.

Who would you rather have in our squad next season, Todd Cantwell or Christian Fassnacht?

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think Cantwell is very good. I wouldn't have him back. I'd prefer Dowell to him, and I don't really want him back either. Cantwell runs around a lot, but for an attacking player, his technique is pretty poor.

I also think he's a bit of a pr*ck, but I I don't have any need or desire to like the players as people, I just want them to deliver on the pitch. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Todd just comes across as a 'local superstar argues parking ticket' type to me.

And yet we've never heard anything about Todd Cantwell getting as much as a parking ticket, or a speeding ticket, or being out drunk down Prince of Wales Road. 

We have heard a lot about Adam Idah parking on double yellows and in disabled bays etc. 

Other than a bit of attention seeking and being a bit over sensitive, which are personality traits, I've not heard or seen any evidence that Todd Cantwell is a bad person or in any way lacking in morals or ethics at all. 

In fact he seems to donate a lot more of his footballing items like match worn shirts, boots, training kit to charity raffles than a typical player. Has never slagged off our club, or our fans, or giving off vibes that he's embarrassed to have played for Norwich like Danny Mills or Andy Townsend.

Yes he fell out with Farke, but quite a few people did. Farke wasn't a completely unflawed person.

The hatred of Todd Cantwell on here is irrational, to the extent that its not really any surprise that he wanted a fresh start out of the city. I can remember Ian Henderson getting loads of stick when he was playing for us, and I'm sure it was all just a bit of jealousy because he'd be in VIP with the pretty girls at Mercy nightclub. I used to see him there all the time, and he did seem a bit aloof, but never once saw him drunk, often he'd be drinking water. But of course, you'd then get the Chinese whispers that would turn into Ian Henderson being out p!ssed out of his head on a Tuesday night.

For some reason the local lads always seem to be the ones the fans hold to a higher standard. 

As for his relationship with Rangers fans, they are calling him their best player and saying that they need to build a team around him one week, and then calling him an idiot the next. Seems to be a bit love-hate, but you don't see many of them suggesting they flog him in the summer. Rangers fans are always going to be prone to being fickle and emotive when they are 2nd in the table, and worship everything blue when they are 1st or have just beat Celtic, that's just the nature of the Old Firm.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nahh he parked in the parent and tolder parking at tescos dereham that alone put him on a bottom feeder level

Just now, Paul101 said:

nahh he parked in the parent and tolder parking at tescos dereham that alone put him on a bottom feeder level

Think it's been established his mum was with him that day, so no issue.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

When it all comes down he has had and will have a good career. 

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

Cantwell runs around a lot, but for an attacking player, his technique is pretty poor.

Let's be honest, that's utter nonsense.

• Like 2

Todd had the ability to be a top division player, he proved that under Farke in his first season in the premier league, but obviously his mindset isn’t on it like a top focused player. I said a few seasons back if someone can get him focused and motivated he’s a hell of an asset!

Be great to see hims alongside Murphy at Oxford! That’s not likely! 

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

And yet we've never heard anything about Todd Cantwell getting as much as a parking ticket, or a speeding ticket, or being out drunk down Prince of Wales Road. 

We have heard a lot about Adam Idah parking on double yellows and in disabled bays etc. 

Other than a bit of attention seeking and being a bit over sensitive, which are personality traits, I've not heard or seen any evidence that Todd Cantwell is a bad person or in any way lacking in morals or ethics at all. 

In fact he seems to donate a lot more of his footballing items like match worn shirts, boots, training kit to charity raffles than a typical player. Has never slagged off our club, or our fans, or giving off vibes that he's embarrassed to have played for Norwich like Danny Mills or Andy Townsend.

Yes he fell out with Farke, but quite a few people did. Farke wasn't a completely unflawed person.

The hatred of Todd Cantwell on here is irrational, to the extent that its not really any surprise that he wanted a fresh start out of the city. I can remember Ian Henderson getting loads of stick when he was playing for us, and I'm sure it was all just a bit of jealousy because he'd be in VIP with the pretty girls at Mercy nightclub. I used to see him there all the time, and he did seem a bit aloof, but never once saw him drunk, often he'd be drinking water. But of course, you'd then get the Chinese whispers that would turn into Ian Henderson being out p!ssed out of his head on a Tuesday night.

For some reason the local lads always seem to be the ones the fans hold to a higher standard. 

As for his relationship with Rangers fans, they are calling him their best player and saying that they need to build a team around him one week, and then calling him an idiot the next. Seems to be a bit love-hate, but you don't see many of them suggesting they flog him in the summer. Rangers fans are always going to be prone to being fickle and emotive when they are 2nd in the table, and worship everything blue when they are 1st or have just beat Celtic, that's just the nature of the Old Firm.

To be honest I think the Rangers fans are just p*ssed off that they got Cantwell and Dowell and Celtic got a good player in Idah. 

2 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I find it a bit odd really that so much energy and attention is given to him. I honestly think it says a lot more about the people who get wound up by him that they can get so angry about Cantwell being a bit irritating and petulant while continuing to put money into a club which employs 2 drink drivers and 1 drug driver (minus the drug driver on 31st June when his contract ends). Cantwell as far as I'm aware hasn't ever even been given 3 points for speeding in his expensive supercar. What is his crime?

Not the least bit bothered by the Cantwell trials and tribulations but (the bit in bold) I must have missed something.Duffy I did know about but the rest..........

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

Todd had the ability to be a top division player, he proved that under Farke in his first season in the premier league, but obviously his mindset isn’t on it like a top focused player. I said a few seasons back if someone can get him focused and motivated he’s a hell of an asset!

100pc.

He was easily a £20m player at that point

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

Not the least bit bothered by the Cantwell trials and tribulations but (the bit in bold) I must have missed something.Duffy I did know about but the rest..........

Ashley Barnes was convicted of drink driving in 2021.

Flynn Clarke is the drug driver, he went to prison last year for dangerous driving after seriously injuring three people in a road accident while high on Nitrous Oxide but we did not sack him. He will be released at the end of his contract on 31st June.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

1 hour ago, kirku said:

Let's be honest, that's utter nonsense.

Not in my opinion. He can be somewhat effective due to energy and getting forward, but his first touch and his passing/crossing is below average for his position. Dowell is massively his superior in technique, the difference is Dowell is even slower and has low energy.

36 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Not in my opinion. He can be somewhat effective due to energy and getting forward, but his first touch and his passing/crossing is below average for his position. Dowell is massively his superior in technique, the difference is Dowell is even slower and has low energy.

You genuinely think Cantwell's main attributes are "running around a lot" and "energy"?

Interesting

15 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

Just goes to show you how damaging social media is. He cares more about the perceived attention he can receive on that than he does the glory, memories and adulation he could achieve by knuckling down and doing what he’s good at as a footballer.

The irony is that fulfilling his footballing potential would give him everything he craves that he misguidedly looks for on social media. But people like him are blind to it because of the quick bit gratification somebody hitting a like button gives them.

Its a real shame but it’s like most youngsters today, they only care about the gift wrapping.

that's one of the best things ive ever read on here

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kirku said:

You genuinely think Cantwell's main attributes are "running around a lot" and "energy"?

Interesting

Honestly, I don't think he's very good and I never did. He was energetic when attacking by getting forward and trying to make something happen, he'd take risks with the ball too. Those are the positives, however, his technique is in my opinion sub par and his physical attributes (pace, strength, size) are sub par. I wouldn't have him back, even if he became the model professional.

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Here we go again..

GOn0VrVXUAEEKl1?format=jpg&name=large

Why can’t you just ignore, you really do like fuelling the fire

6 minutes ago, city4eva said:

Why can’t you just ignore, you really do like fuelling the fire

Is that real? A ten year old would write like that. 

Posted (edited)

As for the question of whether you'd want Cantwell or Fassnacht in the team, I'd take Fassnacht on the proviso that he does what I think he might do and become a Vrancic / Stiepermann / Rupp sort who kicks on in his second season.

In some ways on the pitch Fassnacht reminds me a bit of Cantwell in terms of intelligent touches and neat flicks whilst not being blessed with much pace, but he's also good for popping up in the penalty box for a loose ball and is a diligent worker off the ball, consistently more so than Cantwell was. He also looks like a grounded, sensible pro who keeps his head down and grafts to the best of his ability nearly all the time too.

Cantwell needed Buendia around to ease the load off him, and it gave him the extra space to hit the throughballs to Pukki we knew he could hit if Buendia didn't have the ball.

Edited by TheGunnShow

On 25/05/2024 at 21:17, Midlands Yellow said:

green and tubular, with grass visible. In the late summer and fall, bear **** will be looser and in large plops, with berries and apple pieces visible.

Is it me or does that sound quite appetising? Sounds like one of Delia's specials

• Haha 1