7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No, Barnes delivered in the pseudo 10 role and our matches with and without him showed that. Alongside his goals and assists. Idah was never a pseudo 10 and that's not where he's been playing for Celtic. He scored goals when he played as a number 9 from the bench and that's where he should have been utilised in the second half of the season as he was the first.

Well, I think its pretty clear that Idah would have been very useful in games such as Blackburn and QPR away where I think we would have attained maximum points were he an option for us.

What pressure those extra points put on teams around us alongside the fact it could have altered who we played in the playoffs means you cannot possibly determine his relevance in the second half of the season.

Two things can be true. That Idah would have been useful in the second half of the season. And that he is still no good and we need markedly better for next season.

• Like 2

Well done Adam, decent player who could make a useful contribution back at City next season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Two things can be true. That Idah would have been useful in the second half of the season. And that he is still no good and we need markedly better for next season.

I'm not convinced we will sign someone better than Idah as a striker in the summer. 

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

And your point is??

He was happy enough to sign that five year contract so should have been told very firmly......'you're here until the summer son and then we'll discuss your future'

Loving the Scottish connection. Presumably he replied

‘Before you take my heart, reconsider…

I’ve opened the door’

(With apologies to the under-35s)

It's only a pub league so surely any goals should be discounted? 🤔😅

Apples

Does anybody on this forum really get how sub-standard the Scottish Prem is? How many players come over Hadrians Wall in this direction? ..Top class I mean. Good luck to Idah,but really,that is his level. Can you imagine how well someone like Sargent,who,in all honesty,is not probably in the top twenty strikers in England,would do up there?

27 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Does anybody on this forum really get how sub-standard the Scottish Prem is? How many players come over Hadrians Wall in this direction? ..Top class I mean. Good luck to Idah,but really,that is his level. Can you imagine how well someone like Sargent,who,in all honesty,is not probably in the top twenty strikers in England,would do up there?

Virgil van Dijk

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Must be worth £20m now

Divide that by four and you'll maybe get somewhere near the top of what we may sell him for. 

3 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

.....and......?

Assuming you are looking for examples from recent history, then Andrew Robertson and Kieran Tierney.

42 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

As much as I don't disagree with your point about the standard, a lot of League 2 players would get in bottom half SPL teams, today Celtic weren't playing a bottom half SPL team, Rangers reached the Europa League final 2 years ago.

"Well that's added another million to the price" as the old saying goes

Actually not, as it depends on whether Celtic want to keep him. I'm sure that Idah wants to stay.. Some of the lesse rSPL claubs are Championship/L1 grounds, but that's against playing in front of 60,000 every other week, and European footballl.

The 5 year contract is now looking a far sighted move. None of us agreed with it, and it was a bit of a mill stone around his neck. But it loooks to have paid off. I say look to as we don't know how things will pan out.

Hopefully he will stay at Celtic we will get a decent fee and both sides can move forward from here.

Good luck to the lad, he deserves it.

As to Sydney Honky Tonk, I suspect he was the last turkey in the shop, one who fitted the mould. Unfortunately once he was put through his paces at Colney it was clear to the coaching staff he was not up to it. The limited game time at the end of matches suggest there was some clause that he had to pay a certain number of games. So he was stuck on at the very end to meet that requirement.

I don't think a goal scorer is our main priority. You can score as many as you want, however if more a being let in theits not much of an advantage. There's only somuch you can work on to avoid the six goals at Plymouth, but eventually it comes down to players. Gibson and Batth have left, we have four up and coming CB's.Not sure who we have lined uo to replace Gino and Sam. Both great going forward but not the best defencefully.

And fingers crosed we don't have to use Long at any time  🥴

2 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

You can't keep saying this, as it was Idah who wanted to move, so the club sanctioned it. 

If Knapper can't say no to a 23yr old on a 5 year contract then it doesn't bode well for the coming summer. 

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Scored an important winner in the cup. Could have scored some important goals for us in the second half of the season like he did in the first.

Not sure if I've mentioned it previously but Knappers decision to replace him with Sydney really needs discussing on here at some point.

No mate it doesn't'. You're more intelligent than this. It's not binary. Clearly Idah was/is unhappy with his hierarchy within the team. Idah wanted out; Celtic offered that option. Idah left. I'm pleased that he's doing OK. But he's a severely limited footballer: bulky but easily knocked off the ball, can run but not explosive and has questionable 1st touch, has height but not the greatest at heading a ball, his stats show that he's a poor converter of chances. You make out that SVH was in the building BEFORE AI left... 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

.....and......?

Wee Billy Gilmour ?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If Knapper can't say no to a 23yr old on a 5 year contract then it doesn't bode well for the coming summer. 

What a simplification, when it really depends upon entirely what the conversation between the two involved   ... and perhaps what Webber may have told Knapper of the lad's treatment by some in the Carrow Road crowd.

The move away succeeded on one level at least, it has restored Idah's confidence. He said so himself.

What happens next is anybody's guess.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Adam Ideal, should get maximum price for him now. Always good to see a youth export do well, unless they're caged birds that can't fly anyway

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hogesar said:

I'm not convinced we will sign someone better than Idah as a striker in the summer. 

We won’t be troubling the top 6 then if Sargent moves on. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Exactly, if idah started every match in a season in his favoured position at Norwich he’d get no where near 20 goals. In the SPL with little pressure he looks fine. 

16 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Exactly, if idah started every match in a season in his favoured position at Norwich he’d get no where near 20 goals. In the SPL with little pressure he looks fine. 

As per stats he averaged a goal every 223 minutes for Norwich in the first half of the season. So if he played every minute for Norwich at that hit rate he would 18.5 goals a season excluding cup games. So pretty close to 20.

Just now, Ulfotto said:

As per stats he averaged a goal every 223 minutes for Norwich in the first half of the season. So if he played every minute for Norwich at that hit rate he would 18.5 goals a season excluding cup games. So pretty close to 20.

Even with injuries he could never make the shirt his own. Farke, Smith and Wagner didn’t really believe in him. 

Rodgers wants him to stay and that is a big factor. They are talking about 6 million for him and Celtic can afford that. Would be a surprise if he plays for us again. 

Cash in on him and Tzolis and get one decent striker with the money. 

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Rodgers wants him to stay and that is a big factor. They are talking about 6 million for him and Celtic can afford that. Would be a surprise if he plays for us again. 

Cash in on him and Tzolis and get one decent striker with the money. 

Tzolis would be the one to bring back but I think you’re bang on the money. 

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

Scored an important winner in the cup. Could have scored some important goals for us in the second half of the season like he did in the first.

Not sure if I've mentioned it previously but Knappers decision to replace him with Sydney really needs discussing on here at some point.

Or man going nowhere now has confidence or a multi millions pound price tag. If Webber had done it you would have said he was a genius 😜

It's in idahs hands. He can return and work to impress a new coach or decide he wants a move to celtic.   At both clubs he appears to be the super sub rather than a main man.  The lure of trophy and Europe is likely to appeal

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

We'd have played Southampton in the semis if Idah had stayed

Pure speculation. And, if we are going to do that then Southampton would have beaten us too.

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

No, Barnes delivered in the pseudo 10 role and our matches with and without him showed that. Alongside his goals and assists. Idah was never a pseudo 10 and that's not where he's been playing for Celtic. He scored goals when he played as a number 9 from the bench and that's where he should have been utilised in the second half of the season as he was the first.

Well, I think its pretty clear that Idah would have been very useful in games such as Blackburn and QPR away where I think we would have attained maximum points were he an option for us.

What pressure those extra points put on teams around us alongside the fact it could have altered who we played in the playoffs means you cannot possibly determine his relevance in the second half of the season.

And yet your post is full of precisely that self-same speculation that you claim is impossible to determine 😃. What isn't speculative is that City qualified for the play-offs, as per the objective.

4 minutes ago, horsefly said:

And yet your post is full of precisely that self-same speculation that you claim is impossible to determine 😃. What isn't speculative is that City qualified for the play-offs, as per the objective.

This isn’t hard to work out. Whoever Hoggy’s mate Webber signed is good. Now he’s gone, Hoggy wants Knapper to fail big time. If you can’t see this you’re blind. 

5 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

If he's no good how could he have been useful??

I think you're getting mixed up with Sydney Van Hooijdonk - who was no good and not useful!

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

This isn’t hard to work out. Whoever Hoggy’s mate Webber signed is good. Now he’s gone, Hoggy wants Knapper to fail big time. If you can’t see this you’re blind. 

That's just you being silly, or obnoxious, or both. It's usually both.

Webber made good and bad signings. Knapper has only so far made bad but has a whole summer to make some good ones.

I really don't see what's so controversial.