Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Put away supporters in the Lower Barclay.

The Barclay End has become something of a joke.

There is no longer a large corps of fanatical chanting supporters; instead there is a dispirate band of individuals who often argue among themselves, chant different songs and find themselves in competition with ''The Snakepit'' for God''s sake.

There is the pathetic sit down regime which does not extend to the away supporters who are in a higher tiered and therefore more difficult to enforce section, infact, as I have said before the whole end is a betrayal (building wise) of the old atmospheric stand.

The Barclay is increasingly outsung by the away section. From my quiet spot in the Cathedral Lounge the real noise comes in when the Jarrold Stand starts up, so my suggestion is this.

Put the away supporters in the bottom tier of The Barclay and turn available seats into casual tickets. Fill the entire Jarrold Stand with home supporters and just see how this ignites the whole stand into making some real noise.

The Barclay End is an absolute shadow of it''s former self and isn''t even an advantage to attack, it has lost it''s status as the hotbed of vocal support. The Jarrold Stand is our best. It should be total home support.

For Christ''s sake, give it a rest.I''m as worried by the lack of singing in ''Fortress'' Carrow Road, but this riduclous trend of blaming EVERYTHING and EVERYONE has got to stop.  The Barclay will be there next season no matter what, they may have quiet games but how different is that to other supporters (and I mean it) voicing their disenchantment with protest before a game?

In a typical match there are 3000 supporters in the Lower Barclay. How many of these are fully vocal? Half to two thirds I would suggest and spread over the stand. The top tier is another River End. So, maybe 2000 home fans in a low stand against 3000 vocal away fans (as away fans, including Norwich tend to be).

The Barclay End is a shadow of it''s former self and the Jarrold gives an advantage to the away support. The top tier has been tried before and is a real no no, the River End is full of family tickets so the Lower Barclay is the one for me.

Imagine the effect on the Jarrold who will sing when encouraged to do so.  And the noisiest home supporters in that stand are the casual City fans and in a typical championship game there would be plenty of casual tickets left for the Lower Barclay.

rudolph   : the main reason  NO  noise is coming from the barclay is we are not happy with the crap we are watching on the pitch. . as you say putting the away fans in it is crazy . i can remember from the good old days when was just a row of police between us& away fans . once  we start passing the ball again then the noise will return. . if your not happy you should  get the ktf''s  to start singing . so in my view  its because people arre not happy with worth as you never hear wothys yellow & green army  any more  so tell you alot

[quote user="ROSSI 46"]You seem to have a problems accepting aother people opinions Mr Gimp[/quote]

This coming from a guy who rarely has any opinions of note himself!

MAYBE PUT THE AWAY FANS IN PART OF THE N&P STAND.IT MIGHT EVEN  WAKE THE CITY FANS UP & START SINGING THAT END.

SO YOULL HAVE ALL JARROLD STAND NOISY,BARCLAY NOISY & HOPEFULLY N&P NOISY.WOULD BE BETTER THAN HOW IT IS NOW

SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

[quote user="NimChimpskee"]

[quote user="ROSSI 46"]You seem to have a problems accepting aother people opinions Mr Gimp[/quote]

This coming from a guy who rarely has any opinions of note himself!

[/quote]

the only difference being that i may not agree with other peoples opinions, but i accept they have one.

I like the idea that the Upper Barclay would get to drop things on the away supporters below, I''d move up there so that I could do that, I''d spend all Saturday morning preparing water and flour bombs.

good spot of creative thinking rude old. agree, apart from the barclay end closest to the away supporters and the snakepit, the rest of the barclay can be relatively quiet.  however, its not fair to make a decision based on this year because of the protests in my view.  

SLINKY wrote

MAYBE PUT THE AWAY FANS IN PART OF THE N&P STAND.IT MIGHT EVEN  WAKE THE CITY FANS UP & START SINGING THAT END.

SO YOULL HAVE ALL JARROLD STAND NOISY,BARCLAY NOISY & HOPEFULLY N&P NOISY.WOULD BE BETTER THAN HOW IT IS NOW

SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

Fair point Slinky (incidentally I used to own one of you growing up in the 70''s and was fortunate my staircase was straight-would be useless on my current winding set of risers) if this needed a season to acheive then why not give notice to those in the River End and put the away supporters in there. I like the idea of a Barclay and Jarrold both making noise.

Incidentally, I do respect the creativity of current day Barclay songsters having led the Barclay Choir of the 70''s on many occasions with a few little ditty''s of my own. I just feel the stand has been allowed to decline from what it was and I get really agitated seeing home fans being repeatedly told to sit down while away supporters get away with it. It should be sit down or have your future allocation reduced.

What would solve this whole issue would be to allow the Lower Barclay to be all standing again and with the increased capacity some reduction in ticket prices. We only need all seater stadia on certain occasions and over certain capacities, the exception being scousers who should be strapped in their seats.

Personally, I think away supporters should be accommodated in the new apartments behind the N&P stand. No particular reason........I''m just trying to make conversation.......[8-|]

it does strike me that we have the away fans in the largest stand and consequently more seats are lost because of the divide which seems daft especially when there has been people turned away many a game . i would  stick away fans in the lower river end which would then allow the jarrold to be all norwich .

I overheard some people talking on the way to the ground yesterday and they described the new apartments as looking like something out of Hackney. I have to agree, how the hell did this monstrosity get planning permission. It is so dour I suspect Worthington had an input.

As a ''casual'', I always sit in the Jarrold, Bock H, if we can get it, to be close to the ''away'' noise and banter. It strikes me that there is a greater energy in this area than the Barclay, particularly the lower area which seems such a bleak part of the ground these days. As a teenager I remember the good old days of the Barclay in the 70s, which despite its cowshed appearance was never short of energy and imaginative singing.

Whether the issue is related to those that inhabit the Barclay or the fact that they are seated is difficult to say. The Snakepit seems to have a its own identity, an intimate cosy vantage point to keep tabs on the away support, the Barclay and action on the pitch without inhabitants having to strain their necks too far.

In my view, proximity to and/or easy view of the opposing fans tends to liven up the vocal support. It is a fact that when teams play away their fans make comparatively more noise than when at home. Home is often too cosy, ...when you are away, the role of supporting is much more in your mind... a crowd is united in its identity and makes its presence felt (generally). Giving the lower Barclay to away fans would not be a bad idea, particularly if the corner between the Jarrold and the Barclay is filled in, providing not too many seats are left empty when away support is poor. At the moment far too much capacity in the Jarrold is wasted through leaving a sterile area.

Fill the Jarrold to capacity with home support, that would be great for atmosphere (...providing there is improvement on the pitch).