dylanisabaddog

Pinkun General Election thread (ID required)

2 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Palestine gonna stuff up Starmer something rotten as votes go to "other" parties.

Muslims and Jews may change their vote. It will have no effect on anyone else whatsoever. 

If you're worried about your mortgage, your parents operation and your childrens education you really couldn't give a **** about the Middle East. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

I’d only vote for him if I was convinced he definitely was Tony Blair Mark II.

As your username suggests.

Posted (edited)

While we're mass debating, a reminder to register to vote.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Plus, remember you need ID to vote in-person.

If you don't currently have a passport or driver's licence etc, you can get a postal vote instead.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-postal-vote

All you need is a UK address and your signature for a postal vote.

Edited by Pyro Pete
  • Thanks 3

Better start stockpiling the champagne to get ready to celebrate when all those results are announced declaring Tory sh*its like Gullis, Mogg, Anderson (Reform UK Ltd), et al have lost their seats.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Herman said:

GONARW6XEAALCvz.jpg.abc0645ed0cb47492eabe245c8064207.jpg

As the historian's always say....

When it really matters as so often in the past even the weather goes in to bat for England.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Herman said:

GONARW6XEAALCvz.jpg.abc0645ed0cb47492eabe245c8064207.jpg

Après moi, le déluge!

Edited by TheGunnShow

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Sunak is about to announce a General Election on 4 July. I assume he thinks inflation has dropped and it may go back up when the next round of energy charges are announced. 

Latest opinion poll

Screenshot_20240522_165216_Chrome.thumb.jpg.58416d58be30960f66eaf27e1766c432.jpg

That's quite an astonishing graphic. The thought that Lib Dems can get 50 seats with 9.6% of the vote whereas Reform gets 12.3% with no seats feels like a pretty bad indictment of our electoral system. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

That's quite an astonishing graphic. The thought that Lib Dems can get 50 seats with 9.6% of the vote whereas Reform gets 12.3% with no seats feels like a pretty bad indictment of our electoral system. 

The fact that a far-right party like Reform is even in contention, is a damning indictment of the electorate.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Predictably the lefty protester is still being an attention-seeking hate-filled pillock.

He’s a former Lib Dem candidate … so not particularly ‘leftie’

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well, I'll be in Germany on holiday for three weeks if then, so that's a postal vote going in, hopefully.

Better get application in fast as this is quite a short time frame.

Sunak has many faults. Being poor at politics is one of them. Surrounding himself with terrible advisors is another. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Herman said:

Sunak has many faults. Being poor at politics is one of them. Surrounding himself with terrible advisors is another. 

Not that I care, but what possessed him to make a speech for 20 minutes in the pouring rain? He looked like a complete idiot. 

A political commentator on the radio has just suggested that they've gone for July to minimise their losses. The general consensus is that every time Sunak opens his mouth he makes things worse. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2

Sunak will have been advised that it's 'now or never' if he wants to have any chance of staying in No.10 and it's no coincidence that the announcement is made on the day inflation falls close to the level that the BOE has set for cutting interest rates. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Sunak will have been advised that it's 'now or never' if he wants to have any chance of staying in No.10 and it's no coincidence that the announcement is made on the day inflation falls close to the level that the BOE has set for cutting interest rates. 

They know they're going to lose. But how many they lose by is very important. There was a danger that they could slip into 3rd place if they left it too long. 

13 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Haha. I voted tactically last time thinking that might be the best option to get the Tories out. It failed miserably in the end and was just a wasted vote.

I think there's little prospect of the Tories not retaining South Norfolk and Mrs Pants can't stand Starmer so might as well not bother 😁

Here are the Norfolk and South Norfolk predictions as things stand

Screenshot_20240523_070551_Chrome.thumb.jpg.551dfc54d4266acd81ac44a5897ab43e.jpgScreenshot_20240523_070604_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fea50dbd6b123dd8a7eca904f6b848f4.jpg

• Like 1

Only 5 weeks and 6 days left to endure the most corrupt and incompetent Tory government in UK history. No wonder the sun is shining.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

9 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

The fact that a far-right party like Reform is even in contention, is a damning indictment of the electorate.

I'd agree with both of those observations - goes quite some way to explain why the country is in such a bloody awful mess.

• Like 2

The head of the Small Business Association was interviewed on Wake Up To Money this morning and the reporter asked about the positive attitude of his members who have said things are going to get better. He agreed they've said that but suggested it was because they knew Labour would be taking over soon. 

The reporter was either a Tory or completely unprepared for that answer. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Possibly an even more damning indictment of our electoral model in terms of not representing the wishes of its electorate for too prolonged a period of time. Reform is a symptom, not the disease.

Ultimately, tactical voting is a sign of failure. It's a failure of an electoral model to best reflect the wishes of its populace at the moment in time the election takes place.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Not that I care, but what possessed him to make a speech for 20 minutes in the pouring rain? He looked like a complete idiot.

TBF Sunak looking, and sounding, like a complete idiot is fairly normal but even for him that speech was pretty bizzare - can't imagine what he thought he was doing 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Après moi, le déluge!

Well, I appreciated this even if no-one else did.

For the first time ever I’m genuinely considering sitting this one out. The Tories don’t deserve a vote, Starmer stands for nothing except wanting to be PM and changes direction more often than a weather vane, the Lib Dems are just a party for middle class posturing, the Greens spout well meaning ideals that don’t work in real life (like Christianity) and Reforms reheated financial Thatcherism holds no appeal.

I don’t think I’m alone feeling like this either, I’ve got a feeling this election will see a record low turnout 

2 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

For the first time ever I’m genuinely considering sitting this one out. The Tories don’t deserve a vote, Starmer stands for nothing except wanting to be PM and changes direction more often than a weather vane, the Lib Dems are just a party for middle class posturing, the Greens spout well meaning ideals that don’t work in real life (like Christianity) and Reforms reheated financial Thatcherism holds no appeal.

I don’t think I’m alone feeling like this either, I’ve got a feeling this election will see a record low turnout 

Who knows, but I suspect that you will be wrong on that - it seems to me that many (most?) people are desperate both for an election and to get rid of the Tories, and actually, whatever the turn out is on the day we will see widespread tactical voting with many people looking for the most effective anti-Tory vote in their constituency rather than worrying too much about the various party manifestos.

For clarity, I'm not for one moment suggesting that this is how a healthy democratic election should be but its a very understandable reaction to the problem our dyfunctional electoral system poses.

• Like 3