A truly dreadful decision. What is a defender meant to do? You have to be allowed to challenge for the ball. It was just a split second late and did absolutely nothing to stop Kane getting the shot away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

Definitely a penalty. If you did that to a defender as they were clearing the ball it would be a foul and a yellow card every time. Just because he's had a shot, doesn't mean it's not a foul. 

Good point.

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

A truly dreadful decision. What is a defender meant to do? You have to be allowed to challenge for the ball. It was just a split second late and did absolutely nothing to stop Kane getting the shot away.

I thought it was a clear penalty, equally the defender had to make a challenge, 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Definitely a penalty. If you did that to a defender as they were clearing the ball it would be a foul and a yellow card every time. Just because he's had a shot, doesn't mean it's not a foul. 

Should it be, though?

In both the incident tonight and the situation you describe, the player challenging isn't even making a tackle, just trying to block. The kicker ends up initiating the contact and kicks the opponent's boot.

Regardless, I fail to see how the incident tonight could be a 'clear and obvious' error in anyone's eyes, unless you have an extremely low bar and you want to review several borderline decisions per game.

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It was a clear penalty from the first replay. 

Tricky you have seen red cards where a defender has lunged into a challenge just as the ball has been kicked away.  I thought in modern football it was fairly clear cut.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Should it be, though?

In both the incident tonight and the situation you describe, the player challenging isn't even making a tackle, just trying to block. The kicker ends up initiating the contact and kicks the opponent's boot.

Regardless, I fail to see how the incident tonight could be a 'clear and obvious' error in anyone's eyes, unless you have an extremely low bar and you want to review several borderline decisions per game.

Yes, it's a nasty challenge. Raising your studs in the direction of where another player is kicking is always going to be a yellow card at best. 

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Interesting take. As long as you're going for the ball it doesn't matter if you don't get it or where your studs end up.

It'd certainly make the game a little different to what it is now.

England attacking like they should be and just missing some smart passes in the final third. But something will stick soon if they give it up

Just now, KiwiScot said:

England attacking like they should be and just missing some smart passes in the final third. But something will stick soon if they give it up

Agree with that. Two good chances made by Foden for himself. 

I'm flabbergasted some of you think that was a pen 🤣🤣, anyway miles better from England and especially Foden

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

I'm flabbergasted some of you think that was a pen 🤣🤣, anyway miles better from England and especially Foden

I’m flabbergasted that someone thought Pukkis goal against Spurs wasn’t… dry your eyes son, it’s VAR

The fact that England keep coming back when going behind tells me that team's very much playing for Southgate.

10 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Depay going off is probably not a good thing. Dutch will now match up in midfield.

Yep, this has faded into "same old" again.

14 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I’m flabbergasted that anyone who watches football today thinks it isn’t a penalty. It isn’t a penalty when the commentators were playing but in 2024 it’s a Penalty all day long. You see free kicks given time and time again in matches when a defender clears the ball and the attacking player puts a foot in catching him after the ball has gone so why wouldn’t it be given the other way around?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

I’m flabbergasted that anyone who watches football today thinks it isn’t a penalty. It isn’t a penalty when the commentators were playing but in 2024 it’s a Penalty all day long. You see free kicks given time and time again in matches when a defender clears the ball and the attacking player puts a foot in catching him after the ball has gone so why wouldn’t it be given the other way around?

Have a word with yourself 🤣🤣

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I have to say, these semis have both been a huge improvement on the rest of the knockout stages.

Hardly surprising from our point of view. Teams actually wanting to score against us a little bit giving our attacking players a little bit of space to work in.

• Like 1