Posted (edited)

I thought France were a bit lucky to beat England at the World Cup but they were missing players through injury. Having said that, I watched them lose at home to Germany recently and they didn't look that good. 

I think France have the strongest first 11 but I'll go for Germany to win it. 

Surprise team of the tournament to be Hungary. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I thought France were a bit lucky to beat England at the World Cup but they were missing players through injury. Having said that, I watched them lose at home to Germany recently and they didn't look that good. 

I think France have the strongest first 11 but I'll go for Germany to win it. 

I want Germany to win but there's discord in the camp (Antonio Rüdiger and Niclas Füllkrug had a squabble), Neuer's definitely on the slide but might well be starting, they're definitely a top-tier orthodox number nine sort from being a really strong side, and Niclas Füllkrug, for all his effort, isn't quite that man.

Get the feeling with this vintage that Germany are dependent on Kroos and Müller pulling one last big tournament out of their limbs.

22 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I want Germany to win but there's discord in the camp (Antonio Rüdiger and Niclas Füllkrug had a squabble), Neuer's definitely on the slide but might well be starting, they're definitely a top-tier orthodox number nine sort from being a really strong side, and Niclas Füllkrug, for all his effort, isn't quite that man.

Get the feeling with this vintage that Germany are dependent on Kroos and Müller pulling one last big tournament out of their limbs.

I heard an interview with Guardiola recently and he talked about his first ever Bayern training session. He asked one of the coaches who the player in midfield was and was shocked to hear it was Neuer. Apparently Manny got bored being in goal all the time. Guardiola said he was capable of playing in midfield in the Bundesliga. 

As for Muller, I can't believe he's only 34. He seems to have been around forever. Ashley Barnes with talent😊

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I heard an interview with Guardiola recently and he talked about his first ever Bayern training session. He asked one of the coaches who the player in midfield was and was shocked to hear it was Neuer. Apparently Manny got bored being in goal all the time. Guardiola said he was capable of playing in midfield in the Bundesliga. 

As for Muller, I can't believe he's only 34. He seems to have been around forever. Ashley Barnes with talent😊

Neuer's come back off a bad injury due to skiing and it's fair to say the tooth of time's got him a bit. Ter Stegen should be getting the gig, I'd say.

17 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Did anyone watch Chile V paraguay? 3 nill rather easy win for Chile from what I'm hearing and given Nunez started would be interesting to know how he did

Screenshot_20240612_094054_Flashscore.thumb.jpg.89ea175f5f188bc5954bb489e8aaed88.jpg

14 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Nice interview with the great Chris Woods. Afraid to say that his time at Norwich gets the smallest possible mention, but it's still worth a read. And my, he's in good nick for 65. Looks like a detective in a Swedish crime drama. Phwoar.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/11/chris-woods-scotland-football-euro-2024

I believe he still lives in Sheffield as his wife owns a group of children's nurseries in the city, one of which my daughter attended. 

Portugal win. Leao player of the tournament. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

So come on then - nail your colours to the mast. Who do you think is going to win the Euros?

Full on Ingerlund jingoism over at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cp660d6rn1ko

They never, never learn, do they? My particular favourite is Micah Richards saying that England are 'going all the way to the final' but that France will win it. He's obviously not looked at the draw*, which has an England-France semi-final if both teams win their groups.

I don't know anything about football, but surely France are the favourites? England to lose in the semis for me Clive.

Edit: the draw could actually end up being pretty tough for England: far from out of the question that they'll have to beat Italy (QF), France (SF) and Spain (F) in consecutive games to win it...

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hehe, 69.

Are you saying that because Nunez scored the lowest rating of all Chile's outfield players that is a good thing?

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Are you saying that because Nunez scored the lowest rating of all Chile's outfield players that is a good thing?

He's been playing alongside Kenny all season - he should be used to it 😉 

Reported on 5 Live this morning that 500 Serbian thugs are on their way to Germany intent on causing trouble at the England game. Not what we wanted to hear. 

Sadly it's exactly what I'd expect though. Whenever England play trouble follows. Everyone seems to hate us!

The main reason why I'll be going to loads of other games in the world cup but not England 

On 12/06/2024 at 12:16, S_81 said:

Portugal win. Leao player of the tournament. 

I don't think you're far wrong, they have a pretty balanced, solid side.

As for England, it's rare for attack over defence to win in international football. If that could change we certainly stand a chance.

• Like 1

My brother sent me this today, not sure where it originated from.

Pleasantly surprised to see one of my favourite musicians in there-I only recognise 9 of them, can anyone do better?

IMG_0229.jpeg

Was watching the BBC euro channel and came to the France vs Switzerland game at the last Euros and noticed that our very own Fassnacht came on as a sub in the match.

10 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Reported on 5 Live this morning that 500 Serbian thugs are on their way to Germany intent on causing trouble at the England game. Not what we wanted to hear. 

Apparently England/Serbia will be the only game in Germany where only low-alcohol beer will be served. 

Clearly must be a wurst-case scenario.

Getting a wee bit excited seeing all the fans having a good time over in Germany. 1 day to go

image.png.7545855156e59e0d193bb0e879c42ca9.png

12 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Getting a wee bit excited seeing all the fans having a good time over in Germany. 1 day to go

image.png.7545855156e59e0d193bb0e879c42ca9.png

It's finally arrived!

I think we should all say a short prayer for Angus today. I fear the worst. 

38 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's finally arrived!

I think we should all say a short prayer for Angus today. I fear the worst. 

Only likely to reduce his value if he let's in lots, more likely then that he will be at Norwich next season. 

Having said that, with potentially 3 Norwich players in the team. Come on Scotland. 

Also the start of pre-season training for Handley. 

What's not to like? 

• Like 2

I'm listening to Scots fans on the radio who aren't bothered about tonight because they think they'll get 4 points from the other 2 games. Switzerland won't be easy to beat and I think they're hopelessly underestimating Hungary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

Only likely to reduce his value if he let's in lots, more likely then that he will be at Norwich next season. 

Having said that, with potentially 3 Norwich players in the team. Come on Scotland. 

Also the start of pre-season training for Handley. 

What's not to like? 

Scotland winning.

Come on Deutschland!

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm listening to Scots fans on the radio who aren't bothered about tonight because they think they'll get 4 points from the other 2 games. Switzerland won't be easy to beat and I think they're hopelessly underestimating Hungary. 

In a 24-team, six-groups-of-four tournament where 16 teams progress, three points will be enough as long as their goal difference isn't terrible, but obviously it depends on how the other groups go. It's possible to finish third on one or two points, so if that happens in two of the other groups, Scotland won't need many either.

18 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Apparently England/Serbia will be the only game in Germany where only low-alcohol beer will be served. 

Clearly must be a wurst-case scenario.

And to prevent fans drinking on an empty stomach, the low-alcohol beer will only be served with sausages or cheese. Now that's a wurst-käse scenario.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2