Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

It's only 24 days away and Southgate announces his training squad today. The final squad will be 26 players but Southgate hasn't said how many he will call up for training. The BBC is suggesting it will be 30.

We do have posters from other countries and it would be good to hear from them. 

I think this is the best group of players England has had since 1970 and the only countries they should be wary of are Germany and France. Here are the current odds from UK bookies. 

Could this be the first time England wins a competition on foreign soil? 

Screenshot_20240520_064937_Chrome.thumb.jpg.615f10aabf7990fd33670fa249ee7b88.jpg

 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's only 24 days away and Southgate announces his training squad today. The final squad will be 26 players but Southgate hasn't said how many he will call up for training. The BBC is suggesting it will be 30.

We do have posters from other countries and it would be good to hear from them. 

I think this is the best group of players England has had since 1970 and the only countries they should be wary of are Germany and France. Here are the current odds from UK bookies. 

Could this be the first time England wins a competition on foreign soil? 

Screenshot_20240520_064937_Chrome.thumb.jpg.615f10aabf7990fd33670fa249ee7b88.jpg

 

Those odds on us are shocking value. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Those odds on us are shocking value. 

 

17 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's only 24 days away and Southgate announces his training squad today. The final squad will be 26 players but Southgate hasn't said how many he will call up for training. The BBC is suggesting it will be 30.

We do have posters from other countries and it would be good to hear from them. 

I think this is the best group of players England has had since 1970 and the only countries they should be wary of are Germany and France. Here are the current odds from UK bookies. 

Could this be the first time England wins a competition on foreign soil? 

Screenshot_20240520_064937_Chrome.thumb.jpg.615f10aabf7990fd33670fa249ee7b88.jpg

 

No and I don't really care at the moment - more interested in who the next Norwich manager might be. I might get more interested nearer the time, but do struggle with England.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Those odds on us are shocking value. 

I had assumed the odds were a result of patriotic betting but apparently not. A German site is showing similar figures. It's fair to say that England should win its group easily but there are still 4 knock out games after that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I had assumed the odds were a result of patriotic betting but apparently not. A German site is showing similar figures. It's fair to say that England should win its group easily but there are still 4 knock out games after that. 

Personally I’d have France as favourites but England wouldn’t be far behind. A midfield and attack as good as any in the world, I just don’t have too much faith in the defence.

Kane, Foden, Rice, Bellingham would walk into most teams, then you have the likes of Gordon, Palmer or Watkins waiting in the wings is a handy attacking line up. Certainly beats the days of bringing on Trevor Sinclair from the bench

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’ve struggled with England since Grant Holt was left out but I’ll obviously be interested once it’s started.

France have an embarrassment of riches, literally two world class players in almost every position so they should be clear favourites.

We have a great attacking 6 in Kane, Foden, Saka, Palmer, Bellingham and Rice if Southgate allows them to play. But we also have a dreadful bench.

After what the clubs sides have done, you have some Germans in great form and with momentum, they’ll be the usual well oiled machine and I’m sure they’ll be better than they have been in recent tournaments.

Spain are going through a real transitional period, waiting for these 18-19 potential superstars to mature.
 

You can never write the Italians off, strong at the back and they grind results out, may lack that little bit of class this year.

Edited by CDMullins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Personally I’d have France as favourites but England wouldn’t be far behind. A midfield and attack as good as any in the world, I just don’t have too much faith in the defence.

Kane, Foden, Rice, Bellingham would walk into most teams, then you have the likes of Gordon, Palmer or Watkins waiting in the wings is a handy attacking line up. Certainly beats the days of bringing on Trevor Sinclair from the bench

I think we have a decent shout in the tournament, the lack of left back is a bit of a concern.

Personally I would include Saka (who might be the answer at left back), Palmer and Toney in that list of players getting most other teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I'll be in Germany between June 19th and July 9th. That said, I'll be in the middle of nowhere, Leipzig's the nearest ground by some distance, but even then it's a good 80 minutes away on the autobahn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I think we have a decent shout in the tournament, the lack of left back is a bit of a concern.

Personally I would include Saka (who might be the answer at left back), Palmer and Toney in that list of players getting most other teams.

I thought Saka was injured which is why I didn’t include him. If he’s not then yes I’d definitely have him in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I think we have a decent shout in the tournament, the lack of left back is a bit of a concern.

Personally I would include Saka (who might be the answer at left back), Palmer and Toney in that list of players getting most other teams.

I would find it highly unlikely Toney would go surely Watkins is head and shoulders ahead of him, unless of course we take both.

Our squad is immense and includes 2 of the top 3 players in the world ( put them in whatever order you like ) Mbappe, Bellingham, Foden. 
Pity about the left back injuries, but Chilwell maybe fit if not Trippier can play there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

And I'll be in Germany between June 19th and July 9th. That said, I'll be in the middle of nowhere, Leipzig's the nearest ground by some distance, but even then it's a good 80 minutes away on the autobahn.

We are going early on 16/6 for 3 days, then hopefully flying back in for the latter stages on a match by match basis, depending on 1/4 final opponents.

Edited by Well b back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Southgate has considered the possibility of playing Palmer instead of Kane. I'm sure Kane is the best at what he does in the world but does he slow England down and do England change the way they play for his benefit? Spurs have improved since he left and Bayern have got worse since he joined despite the number of goals he scores. 

Ramsey ignored Greaves and played Hurst in 1966 but I doubt Southgate has the guts to at least try it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I wonder if Southgate has considered the possibility of playing Palmer instead of Kane. I'm sure Kane is the best at what he does in the world but does he slow England down and do England change the way they play for his benefit? Spurs have improved since he left and Bayern have got worse since he joined despite the number of goals he scores. 

Ramsey ignored Greaves and played Hurst in 1966 but I doubt Southgate has the guts to at least try it. 

Like the thinking, but England's real problem is defence and a slight lack of balance to the midfield. Might be making a grand argument for playing Palmer at #10 though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have followed England home and away to almost every game over the last 20 years, and would say this is the best squad we have taken to a tournament, better than Qatar given Foden’s current form and Bellingham’s continued development.

I don’t think we will win though - against the best sides, Southgate’s tactics let us down - as someone says above, we should have beaten Italy in Euro 2020, and the same true vs Croatia in 2018, both times trying to defend a one-goal lead rather than killing the game off.

Think we will have a better chance in 2026 after Southgate almost certainly leaves this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I think this is the best group of players England has had since 1970 and the only countries they should be wary of are Germany and France. Here are the current odds from UK bookies. 

I think the starting XI of the 'Golden Generation' was better, or certainly more balanced.

That team lacked a top goalkeeper and maybe a defensive midfielder, but while the current team has an embarrassment of riches in the attacking midfield positions with several brilliant players bound to miss out, it lacks a top goalkeeper, second centre back, left back and midfield partner for Rice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

England should have won when we faced a poor Italy side with two 40 year old defenders in the final and we still managed to bottle it.

That Italy side holds the all time record for longest unbeaten run in international football history of 37 games, with the Euros final against us being game 34. 

It wasn't as strong as some Italian sides in the past and it was sandwiched by a failure to qualify for the World Cup either side of it, but it shouldn't be underestimated. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

I think we have a decent shout in the tournament, the lack of left back is a bit of a concern.

Personally I would include Saka (who might be the answer at left back), Palmer and Toney in that list of players getting most other teams.

Sorry Saka at left back? What?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, king canary said:

Sorry Saka at left back? What?

It is a bit of a waste, but he played there early in his career and was awesome.  I pretty sure he made his international debut at left wing back against Wales.  I think Saka at left back gives us more balance.

Edited by Newtopia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

It is a bit of a waste, but he played there early in his career and was awesome.  I pretty sure he made his international debut at left wing back against Wales.  I think Saka at left back gives us more balance.

He's one of our best attacking players, playing him at left back would be crazy.

No point forcing square pegs into round holes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of wonderful attacking players available to England. Almost no decent defensive players. Idea we're anything like favourites is very, um, patriotic. Semi-finals is par for this group, I think. 

Think he's been in the job too long for anyone to change their minds about him but personally I find the swiftness to blame our most successful coach since 1970 for England's failure to win something exceptionally tedious.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Think he's been in the job too long for anyone to change their minds about him but personally I find the swiftness to blame our most successful coach since 1970 for England's failure to win something exceptionally tedious.

Agreed completely. He's achieved our best ever results bar 1966 with a team that's no better than the one we had in the noughties, which never got beyond a quarter final and even failed to qualify for Euro 2908 when it was arguably at its peak.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

even failed to qualify for Euro 2908

This would have been beyond even Ramsey, to be fair 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Lots of wonderful attacking players available to England. Almost no decent defensive players. Idea we're anything like favourites is very, um, patriotic. Semi-finals is par for this group, I think. 

Think he's been in the job too long for anyone to change their minds about him but personally I find the swiftness to blame our most successful coach since 1970 for England's failure to win something exceptionally tedious.

The defence and goalkeeper is the real issue that England have and have had for years now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wharton and Braithwaite should go in the full squad tbh for future experience.

 

It is the defence that is the week spot, beyond stones it gets a bit thin although walkers pace get him out of trouble, the others have mistakes in them against good players.   It does feel now or never for them

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Branthwaite, Quansah, Jones, Wharton and Eze are said to be in the 30-man group. 

No Henderson or Chilwell. 

I guess nobody can accuse Southgate of ignoring players in form and simply picking 'his favourites' this time.

Guehi and Colwill in, Rashford out.

I'm starting to think Southgate is going for too much youth with not enough experience, especially in defence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...