Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

What kind of football do you want?

1 hour ago, MC_NCFC said:

I want our own style. Something unique, a differential. I want our academy to play the same style, so it is seamless when they make the step up. I want each player to know their job, to be drilled down to every scenario of what they should be doing. I want us to make it difficult for the opposition, and to pressure them to make mistakes, I want other teams to go into games afraid of a hammering. I want to see goals, attacking play but be resolute at the back. I want to see flair and for our football to attract top tier players. I want us to be a place the best youngsters come to get a chance and established players want to stay due to the quality of football that we play. I want a lot 

As I’ve said previously, do you think it’s wise to set up every age group to only play one style of football? What happens when those tactics get worked out and nullified, you have lots of youngsters coming through who can only play one brand of now ineffective football?

The kind where when we have a free kick in any part of the opposing half, an effort is made to play it forward, get the ball in the box and create opportunities.

Not play it sideways and backwards so it ends up with Gunn

• Like 1

My kind of 'kickysoccerfussball'....Would be pacey, powerful, pinpoint passing, pressing, possession and breaking quickly instead of passing around the back like they're doing a tour of East Anglia.....

A proper Holty type bang man with power pace and aggression who ruffles up the opposition, who can also hold the ball up and bring others into play and is exceptional in the air and we nickname him 'Top Gun'.....

An impenetrable back four in defence....

An' a Tetty type midfielder an' a Ian Crook pinpoint passer....

I could go on....but Towser wants a dump....Laters all.... 

1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

So you want to play like a Liverpool team that’s cost hundreds of million to assemble, but with 2nd tier players bought for a thruppence? I admire the optimism I must say 

The question was how would I want us to play. I answered I didn’t know there was a caveat if you thought it was achievable or not 😂

I think it’s perfectly achievable at this level with the right players. Even Liverpool use free transfers and their youth products. 

The one in the future, not the past !

Farke couldn’t get what in some quarters is considered the most expensive championship squad ever automatically promoted, so I guess he would have struggled here this year, given the same players and injuries.

I loved Farke, was disappointed when he was sacked and will always be grateful, but in my opinion he came here when the stars were aligned and had he had Sargent and Barnes ( no disrespect meant ) instead of Pukki and Bundeia then I suspect not many would have heard of Daniel Farke.

Pep would have struggled with our side this year, but it’s time to look forward to August as a new beginning and who knows what that will bring. What we don’t want is negativity of the past deflating what we may achieve.

To be fair it’s a good question and the fact you ask 100 supporters you get a bunch of different answers is part of the problem Knapper has to deal with I guess.

Some might say winning football is the answer but that’s not strictly true, people were moaning like crazy when Smith was winning and Hughton got us our highest place finish in decades and people hated what we were watching.

For me personally the specifics of what the system does and provides aren’t important.

Personally I want to see a team that feels like it’s progressing on and off the pitch. Long term thinking backed up by being competitive now. So back to a good mix of talented youthful players and cool older heads playing a clear way. 

It needs to be the right mix of pragmatism and entertaining (I think when people say “attacking football” that’s what they mean). There’s no point dominating the ball in the Championship if you can’t convert that to PL success of any kind, Burnley and us have proved it. There’s also no point grinding out results if what is being served up is utterly turgid.

Good luck to Knapper and the new Head Coach, threading the needle is going to be hard. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

To be honest I’m talking really back to basics pragmatism. Defenders who can primarily defend and snuff out attacks, if they can pass a bit then that’s a bonus. Pace and power all over the park to break quickly and a Holt type who can force the ball into the net.

I think pragmitism is the key, Wagner for me wanted to re-invent the wheel as well as players.  The times our furthest forward players were Sargent & the 2 wing backs, Stacey i believe got 6 assists (commendable), but probably from 150 crosses - so not the quality required.  Our midfielders drop between the centre back (1 at a time granted) but then we struggle to play through midfield because the ones with the technical skill set to receive and move are passing the ball, plus we end up out numbered.  Instead we go for a 40 yarder which invariably runs into touch...  Two examples of not getting players to play to their strengths.  

We don't have players of premier quality, so we need to ask them to do what they're good at rather trying to give them a secret weapon.  A bit of pace at centre half would be welcome too!

15 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Nobody wanted Farke’s football when we weren’t winning enough games. 

I did! Admittedly I wanted him to deviate from the failed attempts to become a more pragmatic but only by way of a return to the pure Farkeball that we had abandoned that summer. 

Forget PL if we ever reach again will never be financed sufficiently to succeed.  I will be happy with a competive team playing attractive football, with an effective defence. A working midfield might be a bridge too far but a little progression would be nice.  Rome not built in a day this fantasy will take some time.  Lets be patient with a coaching team to deliver the dream but not forget the Smith/Wagner debacle and get better.

• Like 1

3421 - attacking wingbacks, Sara and nunez as a midfield duo, Rowe & Sainz behind Sarge with Kenny marshalling the back line. 

Probably played too much FM recently. 

20 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I want a team that knocks the ball long to the big lad up front (preferably a Keith Scott clone) so that he can stick it in the old onion bag..............

AKA a Time Machine to the 1970s

To answer my own question, I want football that looks as if we know what we're doing, whether it's Farke, Hughton or anyone else.

Football that makes it look as if the players know their jobs - that they all look comfortable and effective in whatever system is being played. That comes with a clear philosophy from the manager.

For me, Farke's vision was - is - pure football and humanity at it's best - unselfish players all playing for the club and no room for big egos or selfish mercenaries. Russell Martin I think is similar. Mark Robbins too.  A humble philosophy of realising the club and it's fans are what matters most.  Getting rid of players who don't fit that mould and bringing in players that do.

Those that remember Brian Clough will know his philosophy was similar - you either accept and fit in with the manager's total demands for humility and togetherness or you are shown the door.  He wasn't perfect, no manager is, but if you get the philosophy right, then the football will work.

So whoever we do get - they have to be an improvement on Smith and Wagner - but more than anything we need someone with a good philosophy and if that means defensive football with playing on the break, or all out attack, or possession based football, so be it.

Like I said at the beginning - football that makes it look like we know what we're doing, week in week out.

I want a team who can actually control the ball without it bouncing 2 yards in front of them, a few players who can actually tackle/block shots & crosses, a team who can actually pass the ball & actual move around the pitch and not stand like statues. I want some central defenders who can actually head the ball so we are dangerous from free kicks & corners.

7 hours ago, Petriix said:

I did! Admittedly I wanted him to deviate from the failed attempts to become a more pragmatic but only by way of a return to the pure Farkeball that we had abandoned that summer. 

Well he had very little support in 2017/18. There were only a few of us. I linked to that earlier in the thread. The only time there wasn't discontent was when Pukki and Buendia played together in the champs. It's easy to support a manager getting 90+ points in a season. 

I'd like to win more often than we lose without being bored to death. But most of all no matter what the style I want to see the players putting in maximum effort and fighting for each other which is not what we've seen under Smith and Wagner. 

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Well he had very little support in 2017/18. There were only a few of us. I linked to that earlier in the thread. The only time there wasn't discontent was when Pukki and Buendia played together in the champs. It's easy to support a manager getting 90+ points in a season. 

Something I liked most about Farke throughout was that he was always up front and honest with the supporters, especially at the start. He asked for support and time as the team transition to his style of play and to enable us to sign players that fit the system. Luckily we gave him time and the rest is history.

For me the moment he lost the magic was that 5-2 (or whatever it was) defeat at Newcastle that made him change his hand. From then we have really had the same mojo. I get he tried to become more solid but it meant we sacrificed our strengths. 

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

Something I liked most about Farke throughout was that he was always up front and honest with the supporters, especially at the start. He asked for support and time as the team transition to his style of play and to enable us to sign players that fit the system. Luckily we gave him time and the rest is history.

For me the moment he lost the magic was that 5-2 (or whatever it was) defeat at Newcastle that made him change his hand. From then we have really had the same mojo. I get he tried to become more solid but it meant we sacrificed our strengths. 

Yeah he was AJ. So was Wagner though. With both you have to listen to the entire dialogue and not just the clickbait excerts. 

It's a good question. I think a manager moulds a team into his own system. I think the idea of a club having it's own style of play are probably gone. Sean Dyche made Burnley play one way, Kompany had them playing another. So it's all down to the manager how a team plays. Who that manager is is obvioulsy the choice of the higher ups. If they appoint someone known for route one they know this will not be welcomed by the fans.

What do fans want? Successful football above all else. As Neil Warnock said when asked in his interview if Norwich fans would like the style - he said 'Yes, they'll love winning games'.

If we played like Burnley used to, I could get behind that. There is a lot to admire about not having a soft underbelly, working hard, being strong and winning games. There is little to enjoy playing beautiful football but losing the game.

If we had money and the ability to get top players, Id choose Farke-ball all day long. But we dont, and Farke-ball couldnt work in the Prem with the calibre of player available to a club like us.

For us to progress we need to be able to outfight the clubs who have more resources and therefore better players than us (ie the entire Premier League and most of the Championship). With no parachute payments we are now a bog-standard Championship club, without rich owners and no real pull. 

I personally am tired of Norwich having a soft underbelly. Id like to see us get a real combative hardman (not a thug) for the central areas, either a talismanic CF CB or CM. Id like to see some pace in the wide areas. Sainz may have one flank covered here.

Emi was not only creative but combative. A poundshop version of him would be welcome. Versions of Holt and Hoolahan would also be welcome.

I had no real affinity for the team in recent years, I cant say why but I never really believed they were good enough or rooted for them like I had before. Perhaps that is personality. Players like Krul had charachter in the way Gunn does not.

I think we are just missing some character on the pitch (im not talking about Barnes/Hugill dressing room types)

So for me, combative, get stuck in football with a solid defensive platform. I think this is the only way we can hope to compete against clubs with players of superior ability - our recrutiment in the Prem last time showed that we were consistently beaten to our top targets and instead were only able to sign players our rivals didnt want.

So we need not to kick other teams all over the pitch, but do a bit of swashbuckling and make teams fear coming to Carrow Road because they know theyll have been in a game.

On 19/05/2024 at 20:06, lake district canary said:

Its well known I'm a Farke fan. Dominating possession, showing patience, fluid movement the way the team moves and players interchange around the pitch, sharp in attack when situation allows it. Not always effective, but at its best, virtually unplayable. 

Soo....unlikely to get Farke back any time soon, but are we looking for his kind of football? Many teams play a kind of watered down version of it, but few teams fully commit to it. No surprise though,  that the two clubs in the play off final are proponents of this kind of football.

Or do you want a different kind of manager? 

Firstly I want two hard to beat strong fullbacks, who can read the game and don't ball watch. I don't want to see them further up the pitch than our attacking midfielders when they have no final ball. I would rather see players like Sainz and Rowe being given more freedom to cause damage,  than covering our fullbacks. 

11 hours ago, Well b back said:

The one in the future, not the past !

Farke couldn’t get what in some quarters is considered the most expensive championship squad ever automatically promoted, so I guess he would have struggled here this year, given the same players and injuries.

I loved Farke, was disappointed when he was sacked and will always be grateful, but in my opinion he came here when the stars were aligned and had he had Sargent and Barnes ( no disrespect meant ) instead of Pukki and Bundeia then I suspect not many would have heard of Daniel Farke.

Pep would have struggled with our side this year, but it’s time to look forward to August as a new beginning and who knows what that will bring. What we don’t want is negativity of the past deflating what we may achieve.

Just maybe Farke made pukki what he was, the same with Cantwell and Bundeia , even though the latter had something special. But the 3 of them together complimented each other. Farke made them all into a team who understood each other.  We haven't seen that since he left. And Leeds brought it all back, 11 individuals who had no idea what to do as a team to stop them.  

9 hours ago, GRB2 said:

3421 - attacking wingbacks, Sara and nunez as a midfield duo, Rowe & Sainz behind Sarge with Kenny marshalling the back line. 

Probably played too much FM recently. 

It totally gets ripped apart against decent teams.