Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

What kind of football do you want?

Its well known I'm a Farke fan. Dominating possession, showing patience, fluid movement the way the team moves and players interchange around the pitch, sharp in attack when situation allows it. Not always effective, but at its best, virtually unplayable. 

Soo....unlikely to get Farke back any time soon, but are we looking for his kind of football? Many teams play a kind of watered down version of it, but few teams fully commit to it. No surprise though,  that the two clubs in the play off final are proponents of this kind of football.

Or do you want a different kind of manager? 

• Haha 1

Clear direction from the very top. The handover of power to be completed and not drawn out because some can’t let go. Knapper to do some magic recruiting in the summer and a better kit than 23/24. 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Clear direction from the very top. The handover of power to be completed and not drawn out because some can’t let go. Knapper to do some magic recruiting in the summer and a better kit than 23/24. 

Doesn’t actually answer the question though!

• Thanks 1

Winning.

Actually, that’s not true. I want committed, passionate performances from players who at least look like they care.

Posted (edited)

Some of this please, we were so pleasing on the eye, even before Daniel. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Winning.

Actually, that’s not true. I want committed, passionate performances from players who at least look like they care.

Winning is the right call. Nobody wanted Farke’s football when we weren’t winning enough games. 
Next season will be interesting. If we don’t hit the ground running Attanasio and Knapper won’t have S&J and Wagner to hide behind. I hope they’ve been busy over the last six months. 

• Like 2

Pure Farke probably puts us at odds with the long term aim of sustained Premier League existence. This has been proven previously.

I believe that the shift through Smith/ Wagner was the correct direction but deployed very poorly. One of the most irritating facets of how the latter set up is seeing Rowe, Sainz, Sargent, Sara et al spending 90% on structural running duty and a teensie sliver on their attacking skills.

Easier said than done but it needs to knit these two approaches together. The muddled recruitment can be seen in how often Wagner tried to convert players into new roles- our most natural #10 is water-carrying between the CBs, we have a youthful #8 who has almost exclusively been played up front this year. He even tried to convert Placheta into someone that could play football.

In an ideal world, we want a technically-proficient team that breaks at pace but knows when to hold. And that's going to take a while to make.

14 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Winning is the right call. Nobody wanted Farke’s football when we weren’t winning enough games. 
Next season will be interesting. If we don’t hit the ground running Attanasio and Knapper won’t have S&J and Wagner to hide behind. I hope they’ve been busy over the last six months. 

You’d love it to go **** up when your heroes leave. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You’d love it to go **** up when your heroes leave. 

You’re ****ing mental.

43 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

He even tried to convert Placheta into someone that could play football.

🤣🤣🤣

Didn’t bother with SVH though. Lost cause.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

You’re ****ing mental.

He’s probably ****ing pished.

TBF I’ve had a couple myself.

Just now, Duncan Edwards said:

And a bit of a ****. 

He’s not wrong though is he? Ever since the change in ownership we’ve had to endure the same patronising threads by Nutty! Nothing but arrogance towards other posters! But hey ho some feel the need to be so! Sad really!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

He’s not wrong though is he? Ever since the change in ownership we’ve had to endure the same patronising threads by Nutty! Nothing but arrogance towards other posters! But hey ho some feel the need to be so! Sad really!

Perhaps you could link to these threads.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Perhaps you could link to these threads.

Can’t be arsed as you well know, thought better of you nutty. But have a great summer! I’m off for a few weeks to enjoy mysel! See you in august! Carry on your antagonistic threads towards others with a different view!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

Can’t be arsed as you well know, thought better of you nutty. But have a great summer! I’m off for a few weeks to enjoy mysel! See you in august! Carry on your antagonistic threads towards others with a different view!

Have a great summer Indy and I hope you only meet likeminded folk with the same prejudices as you 👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Its well known I'm a Farke fan. Dominating possession, showing patience, fluid movement the way the team moves and players interchange around the pitch, sharp in attack when situation allows it. Not always effective, but at its best, virtually unplayable. 

Soo....unlikely to get Farke back any time soon, but are we looking for his kind of football? Many teams play a kind of watered down version of it, but few teams fully commit to it. No surprise though,  that the two clubs in the play off final are proponents of this kind of football.

I don’t want that personally because it’s clear it doesn’t work if you get promoted, as ourselves (twice) and Burnley have found to our cost. It’s no good having a team set up to dominate possession when you’re going to spend large periods without the ball. The defending for the last 6 years has also been atrocious. Even Farkes second title where we didn’t concede many was a result of simply keeping the ball (and Krul having one of the best seasons by a keeper in memory) rather than actually being able to defend.

If the club is serious about having a sustained run in the top flight then it has to be much more pragmatic built on a solid defence and pace and power.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I don’t want that personally because it’s clear it doesn’t work if you get promoted, as ourselves (twice) and Burnley have found to our cost. It’s no good having a team set up to dominate possession when you’re going to spend large periods without the ball. The defending for the last 6 years has also been atrocious. Even Farkes second title where we didn’t concede many was a result of simply keeping the ball (and Krul having one of the best seasons by a keeper in memory) rather than actually being able to defend.

If the club is serious about having a sustained run in the top flight then it has to be much more pragmatic built on a solid defence and pace and power.

I don't think it's impossible for it to work, but if it's to work then we need to be much more dominant when it comes to winning the signatures of target players who are good enough to do it in the Premier League as well as the Championship, which means there has to be some really serious spending on the salaries required to woo the top targets.

Everyone seems to have turned their noses up at the sort of pragmatism that both Smith and Wagner encapsulated, and the new club management seem to be keen to do what most fans seem to want, but  we're heading into spending beyond our means in a bid for success in a very specific style; there's no room for failure on this path without putting the club at existential risk.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

20 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I don't think it's impossible for it to work, but if it's to work then we need to be much more dominant when it comes to winning the signatures of target players who are good enough to do it in the Premier League as well as the Championship, which means there has to be some really serious spending on the salaries required to woo the top targets.

Everyone seems to have turned their noses up at the sort of pragmatism that both Smith and Wagner encapsulated, and the new club management seem to be keen to do what most fans seem to want, but  we're heading into spending beyond our means in a bid for success in a very specific style; there's no room for failure on this path without putting the club at existential risk.

Yeah fair enough, I’ll rephrase it in that it’s almost impossible to make that system work on our finances.

To be honest I’m talking really back to basics pragmatism. Defenders who can primarily defend and snuff out attacks, if they can pass a bit then that’s a bonus. Pace and power all over the park to break quickly and a Holt type who can force the ball into the net.

That isn’t to say I want Pulis long ball but there must be a happy medium between that and the continental style endless possession but not going anywhere with it. I think that would be our best chance of staying up should we get there if that is to be the aim 

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Who’d have guessed you were a Farke fan 🤣🤣🤣

I want a manager who wants to play with high intensity. remember when Klopp first came over and was talking about rock and roll football? Basically that. I want us to be aggressive when we don’t have the ball and press as a team high up the pitch when possible. I want a side with pace that offers a threat on the counter but also one that’s able to play pass and move football. I want a side that will control the ball, after all a team who doesn’t have the ball can’t score but the control needs to be with intent. The transition up the pitch for me needs to happen quicker before you start to play rather than passing among the back 4 and the goalkeeper endlessly. I’m not a fan of possession for the sake of it. The first thought in all the players heads when they receive the ball should be forward. 

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Who’d have guessed you were a Farke fan 🤣🤣🤣

Hurrah, he's well and truly moved on from Hughton!

I want our own style. Something unique, a differential. I want our academy to play the same style, so it is seamless when they make the step up. I want each player to know their job, to be drilled down to every scenario of what they should be doing. I want us to make it difficult for the opposition, and to pressure them to make mistakes, I want other teams to go into games afraid of a hammering. I want to see goals, attacking play but be resolute at the back. I want to see flair and for our football to attract top tier players. I want us to be a place the best youngsters come to get a chance and established players want to stay due to the quality of football that we play. I want a lot 

2 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I want a manager who wants to play with high intensity. remember when Klopp first came over and was talking about rock and roll football? Basically that. I want us to be aggressive when we don’t have the ball and press as a team high up the pitch when possible. I want a side with pace that offers a threat on the counter but also one that’s able to play pass and move football. I want a side that will control the ball, after all a team who doesn’t have the ball can’t score but the control needs to be with intent. The transition up the pitch for me needs to happen quicker before you start to play rather than passing among the back 4 and the goalkeeper endlessly. I’m not a fan of possession for the sake of it. The first thought in all the players heads when they receive the ball should be forward. 

So you want to play like a Liverpool team that’s cost hundreds of million to assemble, but with 2nd tier players bought for a thruppence? I admire the optimism I must say 

2 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

A bit like Ipswich then 🤣