city4eva

Next Norwich manager odds. Skybet

17 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Who would be your preferred choice purple ? Jansen doesn’t seem to fit the preference for a very young coach.

It's interesting that young = progressive.

I'm sure a lot of young managers are not.

Equally you wouldnt turn down a Ranieri (retired now), Ancelotti or Gasperini. 

I well remember when 'readies' Redknapp was linked to the managers job at Binland -

To the dimwitted bleat "the bookies must know something " they all piled in, driving sown the odds whuch caused   more of the simpletons to plie in etc

You would think even someone from Suffok would grasp not only was it their bets that were driving down the price, but if the bookies 'knew something' then they would not be taking any bets

however, for what it is worth

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/norwich/next-permanent-manager

most comprehensive betting site around

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, RobJames said:

I well remember when 'readies' Redknapp was linked to the managers job at Binland -

To the dimwitted bleat "the bookies must know something " they all piled in, driving sown the odds whuch caused   more of the simpletons to plie in etc

You would think even someone from Suffok would grasp not only was it their bets that were driving down the price, but if the bookies 'knew something' then they would not be taking any bets

however, for what it is worth

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/norwich/next-permanent-manager

most comprehensive betting site around

I love the fact Roy Keane is on that list, more chance of Delia Smith taking the coaching role! 😂

Edited by Indy
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Indy said:

I love the fact Roy Keane is on that list, more chance of Delia Smith taking the coaching role! 😂

yes, I hadn't scrolled down that far - but noises elsewhere sugges it is the Dane

reading the link below and other noises I've stuck £30 on him

https://www.footballinsider247.com/norwich-city-close-in-on-johannes-hoff-thorup-as-work-permit-granted-sources/

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RobJames said:

yes, I hadn't scrolled down that far - but noises elsewhere sugges it is the Dane

reading the link below and other noises I've stuck £30 on him

https://www.footballinsider247.com/norwich-city-close-in-on-johannes-hoff-thorup-as-work-permit-granted-sources/

More money than sense to spend £30 off the back of a Football Insider article. Particularly given Connor Southwell tweeted that it was less an indicator of having selected him than simply an effort to be prepared should he be picked. 

Reckless fool that I am - the famiy fortune would have soon be gambled away, were we to have one 🤪

However the operative word is 'elsewhere', I merely put up th F I link as an easy rference point

"My thought is that this chap fits what I beiieve is Knapper's vision for the club.. He has aleardy spoke of wanting to move towards a much younger squad. We have players coming through our youth system that fits that vision (four CB's, Aboh and others)

"Having moulded a relatively young squad together ...., and with his new, modern approach to the game, it’s no surprise why the Canaries are honing in on his signature. "

"This talented side consists of some very promising stars. A plethora of attacking-minded prospects include Ibrahim Osman, Andreas Schjelderup, and Oliver Antman – who are likely to all earn huge moves to Europe’s best sides soon."

It is not what is achieved but how it is achieved. Thorup fits the bill.

• Like 1

Thorup matches MAs ambition to create this player investor model. In Denmark he has the youngest club in Europe and has sold players for huge money. It sounds to me like he is very much the manager that fits what we are trying to do and would therefore encourage more investors to sign up to MA’s  plans as he has a proven record of turning academy and  low transfer value players into gold.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Harry53 said:

I suggest from what the pink un report that that report is fantasy 

I posted those odds 8 days  ago when the bookies first formed a market, of course things have changed

Edited by city4eva

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Current skybet odds

Screenshot_20240525_073932_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b8d33aee40473dbf2c96bc29fdc14d04.jpg

Being ∞ more of a maths than a betting man, could  someone kindly explain why 2/3 is given as 4/6?

Having read the PU’s Hoff Thorup quote, linked in this thread , I find it surprising he’s still in the running let alone being odds-on.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Being ∞ more of a maths than a betting man, could  someone kindly explain why 2/3 is given as 4/6?

Having read the PU’s Hoff Thorup quote, linked in this thread , I find it surprising he’s still in the running let alone being odds-on.

@Midlands Yellowcan you answer this? Thanks 

From what I can ascertain it's just a bookmaking tradition but possibly started to avoid confusion with the tic tac bookies signalling system. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

"Will Still's Yellow Army" - Yup

"Pascal Jamsen's Yellow Army" - Works

"Johannes Hoff Thorups Yellow Army"  Bit of a mouth full

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

I imagine it's because there used to be 5/4, 6/4 and 7/4 (and the reverse odds on), so 3/2 might have confused?

Although why there was 11/8, 13/8 and 15/8 but no 9/8, I have no idea. Nor why 6/4 didn't change to 3/2 whereas 12/8 did change to 6/4.

Maybe no reason? Just tradition?

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

@Midlands Yellowcan you answer this? Thanks 

From what I can ascertain it's just a bookmaking tradition but possibly started to avoid confusion with the tic tac bookies signalling system. 

Bookies tradition seems right to me. They do like working in 4s and 8s. You’ll see 10/3 on a football coupon too but at the course they still like 100/30. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just trying to tempt you to lose even more money.

"Put four quid on, Guv, and I'll give you six back.

If you put two on, you'll only get three".

Just like £5.99 looks a lot better than a sick squid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Addick/Canary said:

I will have a Monkey on it.

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Try "JHT's  yellow army.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Soldier on said:

One thing I am curious about is how the press seem so sure this danish chap is the favourite. Surely he hasn’t had the luxury of a visit to Colney like the others when he’s preparing for a game ?

by all reports he was over last weekend /early part of the week 

Edited by Paul101

2 hours ago, Addick/Canary said:

Ha. Normally might make sense, but if it’s a marketing trick why’s it not applied across the range, as @canarybubbles illustrates above.

Good ol British irrational convention (as cited by Midlands and Dylan) does sound plausible.

Wonder if there’s a commercial  element of sowing extra confusion in the mix for the non-professional punter, especially those unversed in numeracy and probabilities.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Ha. Normally might make sense, but if it’s a marketing trick why’s it not applied across the range, as @canarybubbles illustrates above.

Good ol British irrational convention (as cited by Midlands and Dylan) does sound plausible.

Wonder if there’s a commercial  element of sowing extra confusion in the mix for the non-professional punter, especially those unversed in numeracy and probabilities.

Reading up on it at work, this write up makes sense too. 

If they start out at 6/4 it can be easily put out to 7/4 or brought in to  5/4 , Its just a more flexible base than 3/2.

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Reading up on it at work, this write up makes sense too. 

If they start out at 6/4 it can be easily put out to 7/4 or brought in to  5/4 , Its just a more flexible base than 3/2.

Ok, fine. but then in using ratios (fractions) to express it you’re already committed to systematically switching between bases, as you cycle through the probability values.  

If you’re saying they keep selected bases constant for the sake of ease of fine adjustment, it would seem illogical not to go in the direction of change to a decimal or percentage system, with the unlimited adjustability and comparability that gives. i.e,. using 1/100 as the constant unit of denomination.

I usually have to do the arithmetic to convert bookies’ odds to decimal if I want to compare them anyway. (Props to those who naturally or through experience have the sense of it in their heads.)

2 hours ago, Paul101 said:

by all reports he was over last weekend /early part of the week 

Nordsjaelland had a big game on Monday (in which they went 3-0 up before drawing 3-3) and they play again tomorrow so I'd say that at the absolute maximum he could only possibly have had a flying visit on Tuesday.

4 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Thorups Station  ,

Thorups st Andrew 

Thorups Yellow army 

16 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Thorups Station  ,

Thorups st Andrew 

Thorups Yellow army 

give that man a cigar....Thorups Hamlet

22 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Thorups Station  ,

Thorups st Andrew 

Thorups Yellow army 

Thorups St Andrew made me chuckle 😄

1 hour ago, GenerationA47 said:

Ok, fine. but then in using ratios (fractions) to express it you’re already committed to systematically switching between bases, as you cycle through the probability values.  

If you’re saying they keep selected bases constant for the sake of ease of fine adjustment, it would seem illogical not to go in the direction of change to a decimal or percentage system, with the unlimited adjustability and comparability that gives. i.e,. using 1/100 as the constant unit of denomination.

I usually have to do the arithmetic to convert bookies’ odds to decimal if I want to compare them anyway. (Props to those who naturally or through experience have the sense of it in their heads.)

I’m always the other way round! Thankfully I can switch decimals into fractions without much thinking. 

5 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I imagine it's because there used to be 5/4, 6/4 and 7/4 (and the reverse odds on), so 3/2 might have confused?

Although why there was 11/8, 13/8 and 15/8 but no 9/8, I have no idea. Nor why 6/4 didn't change to 3/2 whereas 12/8 did change to 6/4.

Maybe no reason? Just tradition?

On a completely different note. That also reads like the varying time signatures of a Tool song. Why cant they play in 4/4 like a normal band?!

Apparently it's a traditional betting thing. Same as Ive seen 100/30 before which just looked weird!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Forget the Johannes bit 👍 

• Like 1