6 hours ago, 7HAR1980 said:

Totally forgot about Alex Neil.

Would actually entertain the thought of getting him back. 

God no. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Old Shuck said:

Will Still is the name that stands out for me.

Cuesta is an intriguing thought mind. One of the most highly rated young coaches in Europe. Would be one hell of a coup to get him. Seems we're looking to be a club where coaches can come in, be given the opportunity to up their profile and experience and, as with our player model, move onwards and upwards after a couple of years.

If a Cuesta or similar got us promoted then kept us in the PL with, say, a 13th place finish and run to an FA Cup semi final, would we then be happy with them leaving us for an Everton or West Ham?

The price for success being losing them. It happened, long ago, with John Bond, ditto Mike Walker 1.0 and Lambert. Mind you, the last two didn't fare so well, whilst Bond later admitted he should nevet have left us.

I think the last manager to have left us and gone on to do well was Saunders. And even that wasn't with the club he left us for.

Ditto Farke. 

A club our size, like many others similar, will always lose talent to larger clubs  Whether that be players or management  And that’s the case for much for the economy generally. People have ambitions beyond their employment at that time, including financially. Doesn’t mean that they’re not loyal during that period of employment though and working hard for success at that level.

To answer your question - would we take a manager now who gets us up into the prem and leaves - yes. Yet alone mid table. Yet alone a cup semi-final run.

It’s the most obvious yes ever.

Hopefully in years to come we’ll be able to have the ability to keep that person for longer. But we will always lose talent, that’s Norwich, that’s football. That’s life.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Swaff said:

Didn't take any photos, only really started thinking about it later. Number plate was HE18ERG with the 8 looking like a B. Driver was tall, thin, tracksuited, Scandinavian looking. Google search of Heiberg/Helberg-footballer brings up this guy. He looks like the man I saw. Can't work out how a Swede would have a private UK plate though. 

Could it have been Heisenberg? Walter White would certainly take no nonsense from opponents…

2 minutes ago, S_81 said:

A club our size, like many others similar, will always lose talent to larger clubs  Whether that be players or management  And that’s the case for much for the economy generally. People have ambitions beyond their employment at that time, including financially. Doesn’t mean that they’re not loyal during that period of employment though and working hard for success at that level.

To answer your question - would we take a manager now who gets us up into the prem and leaves - yes. Yet alone mid table. Yet alone a cup semi-final run.

It’s the most obvious yes ever.

Hopefully in years to come we’ll be able to have the ability to keep that person for longer. But we will always lose talent, that’s Norwich, that’s football. That’s life.

Indeed but wouldn’t it be better to see the club go up and start to think like others about growing the ground and expanding our club in terms of size in both capacity and stature? There were those days when Leicester, West Ham, Bournemouth, Brentford, Fulham, Wolves we’re behind us, now we’ve stayed static since 2002 in terms of growth, content with top 26, yet that top 26 is going to be a challenge with what’s coming up! Derby back up, Bolton (probably though hope not…come on Oxford! I’m at Wembley today!) and Pompy! 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Swaff said:

Didn't take any photos, only really started thinking about it later. Number plate was HE18ERG with the 8 looking like a B. Driver was tall, thin, tracksuited, Scandinavian looking. Google search of Heiberg/Helberg-footballer brings up this guy. He looks like the man I saw. Can't work out how a Swede would have a private UK plate though. 

Black Range Rover sport. Registered in Bournemouth in 2022. Jack Stacey fits that bill. And your description. Including parking in the players’ car park. 

Edited by S_81

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

Indeed but wouldn’t it be better to see the club go up and start to think like others about growing the ground and expanding our club in terms of size in both capacity and stature? There were those days when Leicester, West Ham, Bournemouth, Brentford, Fulham, Wolves we’re behind us, now we’ve stayed static since 2002 in terms of growth, content with top 26, yet that top 26 is going to be a challenge with what’s coming up! Derby back up, Bolton (probably though hope not…come on Oxford! I’m at Wembley today!) and Pompy! 

Of course. 100%. As hard as it is, there’s times when we’ve been up in the Prem and we could have been there for longer. But even then talent will leave. Including from all those clubs you’ve mentioned. That’s just football. But the aim of course should be to sustain at that level. 

Enjoy Wembley. Hope Oxford win. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

Peter Grant was assistant at West Ham when they made the cup final, that didn’t translate too well into management.

I’m not impressed by somebody who has achieved nothing on their own just because they happen to be working at a big club.

He might turn out to be a good manager, I just don’t understand the love in for a him by some on here 

You said "he's never been anywhere near a first team", clearly you are terribly wrong.

Where has anyone said on here Cuesta will definitely be successful at NCFC?

2 hours ago, S_81 said:

God no. 

Interested to know your reasons why not?

We played some fairly good stuff initially with Alex Neil. He just lost his way in the premier league and signed some older mercenaries which didn't work out.

Sounds all too familiar. 

Maybe Alex Neil has learnt from his mistakes? 

4 minutes ago, 7HAR1980 said:

Interested to know your reasons why not?

We played some fairly good stuff initially with Alex Neil. He just lost his way in the premier league and signed some older mercenaries which didn't work out.

Sounds all too familiar. 

Maybe Alex Neil has learnt from his mistakes? 

Yeah he did a good job for us. But he deserved to go and I’ve not really seen anything since to suggest that he’s improved. I kind of feel like he peaked with us. 

• Like 1

Equally important I feel is a name that the vast majority of the fanbase can unite behind, a project that sounds exciting again. Cuesta would do that I feel, although it was his agent touting his name around in January rather than Knapper being keen by all reports. 

Famous last words, but I don't think we have to worry about Knapper going after the likes of Rooney, Lampard, Terry etc. 

41 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Yeah he did a good job for us. But he deserved to go and I’ve not really seen anything since to suggest that he’s improved. I kind of feel like he peaked with us. 

Fair point.

Maybe it could click with us again? Who knows. 

11 hours ago, kick it off said:

The more you read about him, the more his character stands out as being exceptional. There's a reason he has got to where he is, at such a young age. He started coaching at 15 when he realised he wasn't going to make the standard he wanted as a footballer.  He has scrapped, fought and hustled his way into a host of big clubs, blown people away at every single one of them, and is renowned as being tactcally astute and a fantastic communicator. Mourinho's trajectory was incredibly similar. Someone, somewhere will take a chance on him, it might as well be us - what do we have to lose?

This is the point for me. Don't know very much about him except that he's very highly rated. For a club in our position, you have to find every little gain you can. One very big gain is to have a world-class coach. This guy sounds as though he might become one. Let's face it, we're not going to appoint a world-class coach when they have already become established, just as we'd not be able to sign someone like Emi once everyone knows how good they are.

I think he's well worth the gamble. Far better than an established Championship coach who's already reached their ceiling.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 7HAR1980 said:

Fair point.

Maybe it could click with us again? Who knows. 

True. You get those one club kind of managers, where for whatever reason it just works. Whereas it doesn’t elsewhere for them 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s odd isn’t it - in this instance it seems everyone is calling it a great idea because they are good mates.  It ain’t necessarily so, as the song goes.   I’m more interested in whether the guy can do the job.

It's nothing like the same thing though, is it. I suspect you and @hogesar both know that.

If Cuesta had just failed to win a title for a team that had won it 4 years in a row prior to his appointment, and before that gone on a 19 game winless streak, and not been linked with any other Championship vacancy (presumably for said reasons) then I suspect there might have been the odd cry of nepotism.

This is more of a case of a chap comes from a club and tries to bring someone he sees as talented and full of potential with him. Happens all the time, at my work we appointed a new Sales Director last year and a few months later he's recruited two of his sales guys from his old employer. No problem and they seem to be doing a good job.

Now, had they left his old employer and spent years failing to sell free food to the starving and then he gets recruited of the back of that, people might think there's something a bit fishy.

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

It's nothing like the same thing though, is it. I suspect you and @hogesar both know that.

If Cuesta had just failed to win a title for a team that had won it 4 years in a row prior to his appointment, and before that gone on a 19 game winless streak, and not been linked with any other Championship vacancy (presumably for said reasons) then I suspect there might have been the odd cry of nepotism.

This is more of a case of a chap comes from a club and tries to bring someone he sees as talented and full of potential with him. Happens all the time, at my work we appointed a new Sales Director last year and a few months later he's recruited two of his sales guys from his old employer. No problem and they seem to be doing a good job.

Now, had they left his old employer and spent years failing to sell free food to the starving and then he gets recruited of the back of that, people might think there's something a bit fishy.

I mean you could equally flip it and say Webber went for someone who had proven he could deliver playoffs and, moreover, actually delivered playoffs.

Whereas Knapper promoting a friend to a position he's never had before and has no experience in.

For the record, I have absolutely zero problem with either.

• Like 2

Just now, hogesar said:

I mean you could equally flip it and say Webber went for someone who had proven he could deliver playoffs and, moreover, actually delivered playoffs.

Whereas Knapper promoting a friend to a position he's never had before and has no experience in.

You could flip it, but that would have also justified reappointing someone like Alex Neil. And he was appointed to deliver playoffs in 2023 remember, whilst we were in the top 6 (albeit having played more games than those immediately below).

No one other than Webber was appointing Wagner to a Championship job, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. There will be plenty of people willing to take a punt on Cuesta, if he's even up for a head coach role.

Right so lets be 100 % objective about this : 
🤣 FM24 DOES NOT LIE
I mean Cuesta probs not old enough to have hair round his **** yet but ignoring that... 😄

image.thumb.png.de1eb5f97bb3311baa42abb164e609c1.pngimage.thumb.png.cb90cbc8bd705a4418124863f9c50454.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Quite agree.  I was never particularly fond of Webber, and ultimately couldn’t give two craps who the SD is as long as they are doing a decent job - so for me this has nothing to do with that side of things.

All I’m saying is that I’m surprised so many supporters are throwing their weight behind Cuesta.  He’s probably no3 at Arsenal - does that mean he’s responsible for their success?  He could well be a complete genius, I don’t know, and if he comes in fine by me though it does feel a bigger gamble than other options  might be.  I’m also certain that as supporters we’d not be giving him much thought were it not for Knapper.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You could flip it, but that would have also justified reappointing someone like Alex Neil. And he was appointed to deliver playoffs in 2023 remember, whilst we were in the top 6 (albeit having played more games than those immediately below).

No one other than Webber was appointing Wagner to a Championship job, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. There will be plenty of people willing to take a punt on Cuesta, if he's even up for a head coach role.

Well, other than Huddersfield who wanted him back you've probably got a point, to be fair.

However after this season he'll get a Championship job if he wants one - I've already seen fans of Huddersfield and weirdly Stoke wanting their board to go in for him. Ultimately he delivered this season, despite a pretty horrendous injury situation, and a January window where we weakened the squad depth and options from the bench. That's what the outside is probably acknowledging, without taking the rest into context. 

Again, I have no problem with Knapper going for Cuesta. I've said for a while Knapper should have the opportunity to succeed or, perhaps, fall on his own sword and that's only really doable if he's able to select his own coach.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

"Interest in Carlos Cuesta has cooled despite talks being held with him last autumn"

Reported in the Pinkun article about Thorup. Interesting. Not sure in what capacity he was spoken with?

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

On 18/05/2024 at 14:15, Nexus_Canary said:

Right so lets be 100 % objective about this : 
🤣 FM24 DOES NOT LIE
I mean Cuesta probs not old enough to have hair round his **** yet but ignoring that... 😄

image.thumb.png.de1eb5f97bb3311baa42abb164e609c1.pngimage.thumb.png.cb90cbc8bd705a4418124863f9c50454.png

Thank god Andy Hughes hasnt left

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Thank god Andy Hughes hasnt left

Yeh that and level of discipline is a bit of a worry!

❤️ Farke but 15 in Tactics? Hes only got one!! 😆

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I've often wondered what the extent of Hughes's role is.

Described as assistant coach, I thought that he was mainly the "taking of corners coach."

In this day and age when there's even likely to be a  "dunking biscuits in the half-time cuppa coach " it could be anything.

Anyhow, as AH seems to have avoided the chop, there must be more to him than just enthusiasm.

Edited by BroadstairsR

6 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I've often wondered what the extent of Hughes's role is.

Described as assistant coach, I thought that he was mainly the "taking of corners coach."

In this day and age when there's even likely to be a  "dunking biscuits in the half-time cuppa coach " it could be anything.

Anyhow, as AH seems to have avoided the chop, there must be more to him than just enthusiasm.

I think he's technically still the loans manager as well!