Jimmy Raggatip

Who do you want as the next manager?

2 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

He can go on his football manager save and buy all the wonder kids we will win the championship PL and champions league all within 5 years 

Do you think we are the binners ? That’s what they are claiming, but forgot they missed out on the championship winners

This just lifted from TWTD.................

Was told last week by someone that knows Rosenior from his time here 11:28 - May 17 with 2720 views Asa

That he'd been sounded out through his representatives about going to Norwich if they failed to go up.

Was hoping it was Leroy!

But given Rosenior turned down Plymouth, I would imagine it may well have some substance in it and he's on their shortlist.

Which would be a shame. Rosenior seems a really likeable, top bloke. Thought similar about Chris Hughton but managed to find a way to want him to fail miserably so I'm sure I can manage.

Hopefully it's this Arsenal guy however. Feel like that's more of a risk. First they welcome the coaches with pyro's, then they look to take on the assistant of a top Premier club. Where do they get their ideas?

10 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Because there's been an 'Arsenal Way' going back decades to when Wegner took over, both operated within that environment, and it's known that Knapper has a good relation with him.

Yes, because he's focused on youth and young himself, that's where his talents lie.

Sure, he's Arsenal assistant manager because he's got a nice car i suppose?

That “Arsenal Way” hasn’t won the league in 20 years though

Just now, Fen Canary said:

That “Arsenal Way” hasn’t won the league in 20 years though

No, but it's well known that players and staff treat each other well and there's respect and focus on bringing through young players.  All good values for a sporting director and head coach to share at a club like this.

Personally, I just want to go to games and be entertained and to admire players, not wonder how the hell they've got a contract at this level.  Success will just occur as a by-product of that.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

No, but it's well known that players and staff treat each other well and there's respect and focus on bringing through young players.  All good values for a sporting director and head coach to share at a club like this.

Personally, I just want to go to games and be entertained and to admire players, not wonder how the hell they've got a contract at this level.  Success will just occur as a by-product of that.

That’s all right then! Who needs to win matches or promotion, at least the players will be nice to each other!

I’d rather have 11 snarling lunatics who win games by hook or by crook than a team of nice lads who get beat personally 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

That’s all right then! Who needs to win matches or promotion, at least the players will be nice to each other!

Think you missed the part about success being a by-product of what gets put in.

7 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I’d rather have 11 snarling lunatics who win games by hook or by crook than a team of nice lads who get beat personally

So you'd rather this...

0_PROD-Football-Wimbledon-v-Newcastle-Un

Than this... ?

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

Your choice mate, f----ing odd one, but whatever floats your boat.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

ME! I shall be manager. I shall change the formation every match, and will hold a lottery an hour before kickoff to see who get's to play. That way it's fair to everyone.

You can't go wrong. My tactics are perfect.

Resistance is useless. I’m in.

What could possibly go wrong?

31 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

So you'd rather this...

Than this... ?

Speaking of which, Gazza is fishing with Vinnie on his show.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Absolutely. We have to go through a full selection process. I'm a bit concerned Knapper appointing his mate without the benchmark of other candidates.

This is not an easy job. Expectations will be high. I'm not saying Cuesta isn't the man for the job but he's going to have to work with a budget a tiny fraction of what Arsenal had. He also won't have Arteta's enthusiasm and drive to fall back on.

I believe the phrase is “no sh1t?”

11 hours ago, CDMullins said:

So to back Cuesta blindly based on Knappers relationship is a huge risk.

Have you not read anything about Cuesta? He’s not just someone Knapper used to share an office with, he’s very well regarded.

And if you’re worried about. risk, how risky was the decision to appoint Farke?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

So you'd rather this...

Than this... ?

Seeing as Wimbledon won the FA Cup, yes I’d much rather that than languishing in the second division.

Not saying I’d like the style of football but given a team full of nasty winners and one of nice losers I’ll take the first option 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Have you not read anything about Cuesta? He’s not just someone Knapper used to share an office with, he’s very well regarded.

It was risky, but at least he was an actual manager. Cuesta isn’t 

14 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I have to confess at being on a little surprised at the keenness of some for Cuesta to be our man, yes he’s apparently well thought of but I’m pretty sure he’s only an Asst Coach (rather than Arteta’s no2) at Arsenal. It’s a huge step up and  I wonder if he’d even be mentioned if Knapper wasn’t here: is that enough to make the difference? I’m not sure.

6 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

A bit out of the loop and don't have time to read everything. I see Buhler is going as well, but is Pelach, and if not is this a sign he might be in the running to be the new head coach? Or at least have a job under whoever it is? He seems well-regarded.

Very good point and surely a candidate

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Yeah it's a huge risk.  Trouble is, we could bring someone like Robins or Rosenior in and it turns to **** after 6 months and we have another Smith on our hands, because of the expectation.

As Webber done with bringing Farke in, this could be a clean sheet and we'd be less expectant of instant results and support the growth of younger players and a system that's good on the eye.

For me, I think that's the correct approach at this point.  There's a mentality issue that is still floating around this club and from what i've seen of Cuesta he's very good at speaking with players, raising confidence and can communicate in many different languages which is helpful when you look at our recent signings.

There's a lot of boxes being ticked, but it is mad to think his name wouldn't even come up without Knapper being here.

You think the fans will accept finishing in the lower reaches of the league after sacking a manager who finished in the playoffs?

I can't resist throwing in the name of coach Marek Papszun, the Polish Knutsen, who coached Raków Czestochowa between 2016 and 2023.  He managed to promote the club from the Polish third division to the top tear in three seasons, won 2 cup titles, the Polish supercup, and in 2022/23 became Champions with them.

29 minutes ago, Budapest Canary said:

I can't resist throwing in the name of coach Marek Papszun, the Polish Knutsen, who coached Raków Czestochowa between 2016 and 2023.  He managed to promote the club from the Polish third division to the top tear in three seasons, won 2 cup titles, the Polish supercup, and in 2022/23 became Champions with them.

https://www.si.com/soccer/sunderland/news/who-is-marek-papszun-profiling-the-serial-winner-linked-with-sunderland-job

1 hour ago, Six Pack said:

Mark Robins or Steve Cooper or Thomas Frank

I’d take Robins or Cooper, can’t see Frank coming here 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

It was risky, but at least he was an actual manager. Cuesta isn’t 

7 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I have to confess at being on a little surprised at the keenness of some for Cuesta to be our man, yes he’s apparently well thought of but I’m pretty sure he’s only an Asst Coach (rather than Arteta’s no2) at Arsenal. It’s a huge step up and  I wonder if he’d even be mentioned if Knapper wasn’t here: is that enough to make the difference? I’m not sure.

The way I see it is that Knapper isn't established either; he's a young man looking to prove he's up to it. If he wanted to be safe, I think Wagner did well enough that he didn't need to twist, but he has twisted, and he has twisted at the best time, namely at the start of the Summer where there's time to think about it and time to give the successor a proper chance to settle in before they have to get on with it in the new season.

Whoever Knapper/Attannassio/the board chooses, I think get behind them and let's see how they do OVER THE WHOLE OF NEXT SEASON (short of looking like we're really serious contenders for relegation). We have to accept that there's needs to be room for mistakes to be made.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

No established manager in his right mind will take the job with the toxic atmosphere surrounding the club, generated by a few key board warriors  and encouaged by much of the local media. As soon as the team loses a couple of games, the bile will once again start. Social media has a lot to answer for.

• Like 1

Danny Rohl - but Wednesday are a huge club and we’re even again now, why would he leave? But really rate him.

Mark Robins - He should’ve been here instead of Wagner. Why would he leave Cov? I think that club is in a stronger position than ours for promotion next season. 

Ian Evatt - Done superb at Bolton and play great football. 

Russell Martin - If Saints don’t go up and they sack him (don’t think he’d be sacked anyway), he’d galvanise the club, I think. 

9 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

Let’s go for another Dean Smith then, someone so antiquated with no respect or wanting to build connections with the club and a can’t be arsed attitude!

Maybe Klopp wants a fresh challenge?

I can’t believe anyone would criticise Arsenal style and development over the past 20 years one of few clubs not to go totally over the top spending billions on a massive squad! But buying young, developing and building. Something that’s needed here!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

I’d take Robins or Cooper, can’t see Frank coming here 

3 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Mark Robins or Steve Cooper or Thomas Frank

Thomas Frank!? 😂. As in the employed Brentford manager!? Who is in the running for the Man U job!?

Why don’t we just add Pep to the list. FFS. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Let’s go for another Dean Smith then, someone so antiquated with no respect or wanting to build connections with the club and a can’t be arsed attitude!

Maybe Klopp wants a fresh challenge?

I can’t believe anyone would criticise Arsenal style and development over the past 20 years one of few clubs not to go totally over the top spending billions on a massive squad! But buying young, developing and building. Something that’s needed here!

You’re somehow replying to something completely different to the point I was making.

My point was I’d rather have a winning team full of less than savoury characters than a losing one full of wholesome lads.

That was the entirety of the conversation, I’m not sure why you’ve decided to add anything to it that I’ve neither thought or said

6 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

You’re somehow replying to something completely different to the point I was making.

My point was I’d rather have a winning team full of less than savoury characters than a losing one full of wholesome lads.

That was the entirety of the conversation, I’m not sure why you’ve decided to add anything to it that I’ve neither thought or said

We have pretty much that now but these less than savoury characters in Duffy & Barnes are what you get! Old tired best days behind them, it’s the daftest thing I’ve read that you’d rather watch a Wimbledon type style of play which never came close to winning the top flight than a current Arsenal style pushed a billion pound Man City squad all the way to a final game! 
Not a grand argument in my book.

Whenever we pull out the obscure name it tends to work well for us as well as being managers who play good football. So I'd rather roll the dice on Cuesta than someone like Rosenior who spent a fortune at Hull, also got the lad from Liverpool who should have been far too good for this league and did worse than Wagner. 

Also whilst I've not really watched them,  I'm led to believe from a couple of Hull fans I was talking to on FB, the football was pretty dull too which as it was with Wagner is the main reason he was sacked.

43 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Thomas Frank!? 😂. As in the employed Brentford manager!? Who is in the running for the Man U job!?

Why don’t we just add Pep to the list. FFS. 

Just goes to show that I'm coming up with quality options !

• Haha 1