Jimmy Raggatip

Who do you want as the next manager?

Would think Knapper already knows so probably won’t be any of the obvious candidates.

Just now, Well b back said:

Would think Knapper already knows so probably won’t be any of the obvious candidates.

Agree. This is why we did very little in last window. Wouldn't be at all surprised if interviews haven't taken place already

• Like 1

I quite like the sound of that Cuesta chap to be honest, come through Atleti and Juventus, now assistant at Arsenal.  Will be very much on the same page as Knapper.  Young, hungry and seems fully invested in youth which we'll need.

He is only 28 though, and with Knapper being young and inexperienced himself it would be quite the gamble.

I do like Robins, but you're looking at years for him to bed in a team.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Robins....

Yep. Quietly gets on with it and no player would need to constantly look to the bench for direction in the way that they did under Wagner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd be happy with Cuesta. He seems to have a big reputation in the game for one so young and ticks all the boxes, unless a proven track record is a prerequisite.

I wouldn't say no to Rosenior or Still, who have both been mentioned. Cooper would've been a great choice but apparently he isn't interested. 

No bookie has a market for our next manager yet, but having looked through the odds for Sunderland and Hull, there doesn't appear to be much out there, although we would probably be shopping in a different market.

For Wagner's sacking to have happened so quickly I think it was pre-agreed that he would move on anyway. I think it must be Cuesta but doubt we'll hear before next week because Arsenal still have a game to play.

Ben Thompson and Danny Self. They actually got Mulbarton to a play off final! Although not until after they've won it on Saturday please.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I quite like the sound of that Cuesta chap to be honest, come through Atleti and Juventus, now assistant at Arsenal.  Will be very much on the same page as Knapper.  Young, hungry and seems fully invested in youth which we'll need.

He is only 28 though, and with Knapper being young and inexperienced himself it would be quite the gamble.

I do like Robins, but you're looking at years for him to bed in a team.

Why?

I'm baffled by this obsession with someone who no one knew 6 months ago.

Why is he on the same page as Knapper? They did very different jobs and may have very different ideas.

Why is he 'fully invested in youth? Because he's been a youth coach and not a first team coach?

Absolutely no evidence to back any of this up.

Edited by CDMullins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd be happy with Cuesta. He seems to have a big reputation in the game for one so young and ticks all the boxes, unless a proven track record is a prerequisite.

I wouldn't say no to Rosenior or Still, who have both been mentioned. Cooper would've been a great choice but apparently he isn't interested. 

No bookie has a market for our next manager yet, but having looked through the odds for Sunderland and Hull, there doesn't appear to be much out there, although we would probably be shopping in a different market.

I’d be happy with him too. A few of the talented young lads on loan from Arsenal would be nice too. 

I wanted Mark Robins rather than Wagner. We were too tight to buy out that contract. Suspect it’s still the same case, but Robins would still be my choice. 

I know very little of Cuesta bar him being no2 at Arsenal. I question whether he’d leave that for here. But if he will then on paper it sounds good. 

I think Rosenior would do a good job. Rohl also looks a good hire. Promotion means Mousinho or Evatt are unlikely but would be good appointments if possible. 

Just now, CDMullins said:

Why is he on the same page as Knapper? They did very different jobs and may have very different ideas.

Because there's been an 'Arsenal Way' going back decades to when Wegner took over, both operated within that environment, and it's known that Knapper has a good relation with him.

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

Why is he 'fully invested in youth? Because he's currently a youth coach and not a first team coach?

Yes, because he's focused on youth and young himself, that's where his talents lie.

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

Absolutely no evidence to back any of this up.

Sure, he's Arsenal assistant manager because he's got a nice car i suppose?

• Like 2

I would think the new manager is already all but appointed and has been for a number of weeks.

I would want someone ambitious who is young and wants to promote youth players and will play attacking attractive football.

Very happy with someone who will need 1-2 seasons to bed in and feel we need a long term project again (farke, Lambert) and not a plaster (Wagner , smith )

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Ideally Still,

Secondly Rosenior.

Will still ??

Not in a million years , (as in he won't come) stick him on the list with Knutson and father Christmas 

Edited by Nexus_Canary

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

According to the binners, he’s waiting until McKenna is poached. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

No one knew farke, Neil or mckenna tbh.   And Danny rohl shows young hungry coaches are out there.

Robins too old for me although he has good credentials.

None of the press have hinted at options yet other than Cooper want to wait and cuesta not in the running...

2 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Ideally Still,

Secondly Rosenior.

Still has held talks with Plymouth and not far away from finalising terms

Cuesta ticks a lot of boxes for what I’d want in the next manager. The lack of inexperience is in many ways the key, look at Ipswich with McKenna. We’re not going to be able to appoint a top level coach who has the CV to prove it. That means the option is either to gamble on someone young who might have such upside or go for someone whose level is more known but has a decent track record, Robins falls into this latter group but I think long term the former is the only way we’ll ever stay up in the PL.

My only pause if it’s Cuesta is whether Knapper has really done his homework into other candidates, my main gripe with Webber’s appointments were that I don’t think he really ever cast the net that wide and generally stuck to what he knew. From a cynical point of view you could probably say that even Farke’s appointment was him simply going back to what had worked before at Huddersfield. 

Cuesta undoubtedly has top pedigree even for such a young man and I doubt he’d have got to where he has without being very good at what he does. Ultimately this appointment (probably more so than Knapper’s) will determine the on-field success/failure over the next few years, I just hope we’ve done our homework.

• Like 3

Circle turns again, eh? Ideally we'd have a manager who liked front-foot, passing football whilst being more than willing to give youngsters a crack if he felt they were good enough.

WE BLOODY HAD ONE! AND HE JUST STIFFED US IN THE PLAY-OFFS!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Will still ??

Not in a million years , stick him on the list with Knutson and father Christmas 

Interesting idea from left field. He has a global network, can see what young people are up to and whether they’re good, and can cover a lot of ground very quickly. Player/manager?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Interesting idea from left field. He has a global network, can see what young people are up to and whether they’re good, and can cover a lot of ground very quickly. Player/manager?

He'd deliver balls gift wrapped too.

• Haha 1