Sign in to follow this  
GodlyOtsemobor

Wagner gone!!

Good. A very limited manager. And a very lucky one. But the luck has run out. Not sad to see him go. Well done Knapper for acting. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

If true, really liked the guy even though he was quite stubborn and made many questionable decisions.

On a personal level it must be absolutely heartbreaking to go through last night and then out of a job in the morning, but I expect this was decided quite some time back by both parties.  The playoffs were always going to be his last matches, it's likely the only difference would be a big bonus if we got promoted.

I really do wish him well, and him and his family good health.  He's certainly the character we needed after Smith, For me I think he can walk with pride.  But what a **** result to finish on.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Was just reading on Beeb - the reporter was Nick Mash!ter (as ‘Sr football news reporter’) - he’s the guy who used to have quite close links to Webber?

Knapper must have made his mind up on who's coming in. Wagner did well to coax that side into the play-offs, but realistically there wasn't much more in than that.

He stabilised us after the Smith era, got the best out of Sara and Nunez, had some bewildering ideas but some worked, especially McLean at centre-half, and was a personable, engaging sort with fans, repairing a few broken relationships whilst not having quite the same charm - or indeed success for that matter - of Farke.

He's deserved another crack at the Champs, I wouldn't say he failed here at all, but it was clear that there was some discrepancy between what Knapper had in mind and Wagner's basic MO. But he can go, that last game notwithstanding, with his head held fairly high.

I wish him well in the future.

• Like 10

Now on the BBC - he's gone.

Thoroughly decent bloke and best wishes to him and his family and I'm sure he will get a respectful welcome should he return to Carrow Rd one day.

It was the right decision for all parties.

• Like 4

I'm sure he's a lovely man but he's an appalling manager. Should have gone months ago - tactically inept; a complete dinosaur. Never learned from his mistakes, just kept doing the same things hoping they would work and was kept in a job by outstanding individual cameo's by some players (Idah, Sargent, Sainz in particular at crucial points). Good riddance.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

This is why this forum needs a moderator, to stop the repeat threads.

I CONCUR!....I CONCUR!....I CONCUR!....I CONCUR!....I CONCUR!....I CONCUR!....I CONCUR!....I CONCUR!.... :-)

Mad to think that if the Sainz red card never happened we'd likely have finished 5th and playing Saints tonight.  Just shows how massive such moments can be.

Good that we have a clean slate there.

The question should be why were we employing 2 Sporting Directors plus an Executive Director but Delia intervened herself to keep the second successive dead duck manager in place for an extra 6 months?

Just now, Google Bot said:

Mad to think that if the Sainz red card never happened we'd likely have finished 5th and playing Saints tonight.  Just shows how massive such moments can be.

Or if Knapper hadn't loaned out Idah and replaced with SvH, we'd likely have got 3 points from the likes of QPR away

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

At least it looks like there’s a plan in action. New manager in and get business done early. Just needs S&J to go earlier than planned now. 

13 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Good. A very limited manager. And a very lucky one. But the luck has run out. Not sad to see him go. Well done Knapper for acting. 

Great News Wagners gone. And hopefully all his backroom staff ,we need a fresh start and a new approach at our club 

Just our two Octogenarians to now take a lazy boy recliner back seat and then we can get down to some serious business....Oh and Neppers Tom to be promoted to an even more minor role.....

4 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Or that 6-2 slaughtering at Plymouth

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Or that 6-2 slaughtering at Plymouth

I was thinking stuff that's out of our control, such as poor decisions which can go on to cost someone their job and potentially the club millions.

The Idah/SvH thing and Plymouth results was totally on us.  But that red card always felt such a pivotal moment as we were playing away, had our tails up and looked extremely confident.... But the carpet was pulled from underneath.

The melt afterwards was on us, though.

7 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Or if we had beaten relegated Birmingham on the final day.

There are many of these moments but ultimately he lost them and its why we finished 6th and played Leeds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Just our two Octogenarians to now take a lazy boy recliner back seat and then we can get down to some serious business....Oh and Neppers Tom to be promoted to an even more minor role.....

What does he do these days, plate up biscuits for half time refreshments? 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

He needs a clipboard....and a pen, with no ink....

You don’t take a club from 17th to 6th (and briefly 5th) if you’re not a good manager. Some of the nonsense on this thread about Wagner being a poor coach is ridiculous. People don’t like him, or disagree with the way he did things, that’s fair enough, but that’s doesn’t make him a bad coach.

I agree with @Google Bot, this decision was probably made and shared some time ago, which would explain his reluctance to do anything with an eye to the long-term like give minutes to younger players. I wonder if his wife’s poor health was a factor too, he may well have decided it suited him to take the payoff and a break.

A decent guy who gave us plenty of ups as well as quite a few downs, I wish him well.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I'm sure he's a lovely man but he's an appalling manager. Should have gone months ago - tactically inept; a complete dinosaur. Never learned from his mistakes, just kept doing the same things hoping they would work and was kept in a job by outstanding individual cameo's by some players (Idah, Sargent, Sainz in particular at crucial points). Good riddance.

I don't think he falls into the category of "appalling". Of all the Norwich managers that managed us for over 50 games, only 5 have a better win percentage.

I wish him well in the future, but after last night's capitulation it's time for all parties to move on.

• Like 5

Listening to Radio Norfolk waiting for confirmation i've just learnt how to remove a bra should I need to do CPR.  Apparently you don't use your teeth as usual, who knew?

• Haha 2

Did well to retrieve a playoff place after Sargents injury and an awful autumn off the back of incredibly strong home form. Away from home was something he just couldnt address

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I think he spends a lot of time reading and posting on here. He has several accounts, I think Keith Scott and Big Vince are a couple of them. He also keeps track of uppity supporters so your cards are marked MY. 😉

• Haha 1

Just now, Google Bot said:

Listening to Radio Norfolk waiting for confirmation i've just learnt how to remove a bra should I need to do CPR.  Apparently you don't use your teeth as usual, who knew?

I think you should pass on this knowledge to the rest of us. Til will probably have useful pictures if you need a visual reference.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I use an old bra as a double barrelled slingshot to hunt squirrels....

I've been one who has been saying for some time that he needs to go - just because I've been dismayed with some of his really poor tactical decisions (dropping Sainz last night a classic example) and the main reason we got to play offs was Sargant coming back rather than anything Wagner 'did'.

But must admit still feel a bit sad this morning as he does seem like a decent bloke and I'd have liked it to work out. Right decision though and hope him and us go on to future successes.