Jump to content
JonnyJonnyRowe

If we knew Barnes was likely going to be out...

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Of this game, after limping off against Swansea.

Why didn't Wagner give Van Hooijdonk a decent amount of football against Birmingham, see if he could grab a confidence lifting goal or assist, knowing that we might have to use him?

I'm talking 30 minutes, maybe even 45 minutes, not the 8 minutes that he got. 

Doesn't matter how little Wagner rates him, he's all we've got in reserve.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Of this game, after limping off against Swansea.

Why didn't Wagner give Van Hooijdonk a decent amount of football against Birmingham, see if he could grab a confidence lifting goal or assist, knowing that we might have to use him?

I'm talking 30 minutes, maybe even 45 minutes, not the 8 minutes that he got. 

Doesn't matter how little Wagner rates him, he's all we've got in reserve.

Yeah, had that exact thought when he came on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean.. Not much difference in Donk being on or off is there? Not like he does anything regardless!

He hasn’t set the world alight, but he’s barely had any minutes in which to build up confidence or match fitness. Seems harsh to slate him given the circumstances TBH. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we've seen enough of Sydney to know he isn't mobile enough for Wagner's system in playing behind Sargent. 

Still begs the question of why the hell we signed him...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AJ said:

I think we've seen enough of Sydney to know he isn't mobile enough for Wagner's system in playing behind Sargent. 

Still begs the question of why the hell we signed him...

I've seen more movement on a tramp's vest.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Of this game, after limping off against Swansea.

Why didn't Wagner give Van Hooijdonk a decent amount of football against Birmingham, see if he could grab a confidence lifting goal or assist, knowing that we might have to use him?

I'm talking 30 minutes, maybe even 45 minutes, not the 8 minutes that he got. 

Doesn't matter how little Wagner rates him, he's all we've got in reserve.

I said he should have started at Brum - largely to protect Sargent, but surely couldn’t have done him (or us) any harm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Aboh injured? He wasn’t on the bench today 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, AJ said:

I think we've seen enough of Sydney to know he isn't mobile enough for Wagner's system in playing behind Sargent. 

Still begs the question of why the hell we signed him...

But Barnes isn't mobile?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean.. Not much difference in Donk being on or off is there? Not like he does anything regardless!

Quite frankly we could just run a lottery draw for every male under the age of 30 in the crowd that owns a pair of boots and has kicked a ball before. This lad makes the wolf look like the original Ronaldo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mobility perhaps not so much of an issue, but he seems totally unable to hold the ball up. He had a few opportunities where his height was and advantage but was far too easily levered away from the ball. If he could be relied upon to offer a target using his height and hold the ball, or flick on, for Rowe/Sainz/Sarah I think he would be useful, unfortunately he doesn't seem to have that level of strength or aggression needed. It's a shame and I hate writing players off but he looks like Drmic, out of his depth, trying, but just not good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Mobility perhaps not so much of an issue, but he seems totally unable to hold the ball up. He had a few opportunities where his height was and advantage but was far too easily levered away from the ball. If he could be relied upon to offer a target using his height and hold the ball, or flick on, for Rowe/Sainz/Sarah I think he would be useful, unfortunately he doesn't seem to have that level of strength or aggression needed. It's a shame and I hate writing players off but he looks like Drmic, out of his depth, trying, but just not good enough.

At least Drmic scored a couple 🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He should have started against Brum, but some on here thought we were going to lose 8-0.

Now Sarge is injured, or at best well off the pace, and SVH has had less minutes than a Duffy  breath test. Only at Norwich...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Quite honestly I'd rather play Giannoulis advanced on the left, reinstate McCallum at FB, and play Sainz through the middle than have SVH play in the away fixture. (Assuming no Sargent)

Edited by Thumbbass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, S_81 said:

Is Aboh injured? He wasn’t on the bench today 

Think he's gone, or at least refused a new contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

But Barnes isn't mobile?

He's still about 6 billion times more mobile than Sydney 😅. I've seen 90 year olds with sore backs turn quicker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I'd rather we push Fass up instead to be honest. 

Can somebody tell me what Fassnacht brings to the team, just runs around a lot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Can somebody tell me what Fassnacht brings to the team, just runs around a lot

If Fassnacht is the answer I can’t think what the question was!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Of this game, after limping off against Swansea.

Why didn't Wagner give Van Hooijdonk a decent amount of football against Birmingham, see if he could grab a confidence lifting goal or assist, knowing that we might have to use him?

I'm talking 30 minutes, maybe even 45 minutes, not the 8 minutes that he got. 

Doesn't matter how little Wagner rates him, he's all we've got in reserve.

100%. And more to the point, why did Wagner put Barnes on at all against Swansea when Barnes was injured.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Think he's gone, or at least refused a new contract.

Can’t really blame him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Can somebody tell me what Fassnacht brings to the team, just runs around a lot

Think he was on a sponsored walk 

Know we’re struggling but is there no one in the Under whatever they are who we can try

Edited by daly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Barnes's Instagram says "See you Thursday".

Problem is that I'm not even sure how much that helps us, as Barnes has looked totally unsuited to the lone striker role when Sarg was previously injured, and what's more, he'll be coming back in not at 100% anyway.

I feel that we could have lost almost anyone else from the side and managed to shoehorn in a vaguely suitable replacement, with the exception being Sargent and now look what's happened!

SVH has looked frankly like a non-league player in the very limited minutes he has been given, to the point where I'd rather bring in someone from the U21 side than him, Aboh would be the obvious shout if he's still here and available, hell, I'd even take Darren Eadie out of the commentary box and play him instead!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

100%. And more to the point, why did Wagner put Barnes on at all against Swansea when Barnes was injured.  

Probably because Barnes was out on loan at Celtic and because young striker Barnes has refused to sign a new contract and because Barnes hasn't had a stormer (see what I did there) since he joined the club............................

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't laugh, but could McLean play the number ten role if Barnes isn't available? He can head a ball and has loads of experience all over the park. Seems as logical to me as Nunez or Sara, neither of whom have looked particularly comfortable there.

As for replacing Sargent, I have no idea. A different system altogether? But Wagner doesn't do different systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He can't run

His knees point inwards which is pretty unique in professional sports.

He falls over when the ball comes in his direction.

The opposition pushes their defensive line 15 yards further forwards the minute he comes on the pitch.

Probably the most unsuited signing to the managers style of football / to English football in general I've seen for years at Norwich.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

Quite frankly we could just run a lottery draw for every male under the age of 30 in the crowd that owns a pair of boots and has kicked a ball before. This lad makes the wolf look like the original Ronaldo 

Under 30. I'm in my 60s and more mobile! (Not sure I'd last the full match, but it doesn't seem to be a prerequisite.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...