Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

*** Official Summer 2024 Transfer Rumour Thread ***

1 hour ago, HazzaJet said:

One player I think would be good to sell would be Hernandez. I know we wouldn’t get much money for him, but because he’s only got one year left (+1), injury prone, past it, doesn’t fit in with Knapper’s age profile, and probably on a salary of about £1m p/a looking back at the time he’s been with us 

Dunno, he's a cheap, pacey weapon to throw at tiring defenders from off the bench, and we're not exactly blessed with loads of pace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Agreed. Sara scores great goals though and is capable of killer passes. If Nunez goes then I can see Sara jumping ship as well. Possibly even Kenny as well if he's had enough of the managerial merry go round.

Nunez seems an unnecessary sale and smacks of financial desperation. I was hoping selling Rowe and possibly Sara too would be enough.

I'm hoping for a quiet summer window!

Not sure of the financial desperation we just bought a centre back for a reported 2.7 million. All seems a bit strange.

20 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Not sure of the financial desperation we just bought a centre back for a reported 2.7 million. All seems a bit strange.

Yes, but the day before this deal was confirmed, we had just sold Tzolis for a similar amount. Go figure. As I've said on this MB many times we are adhering to the policy spelt out by Richens last November that we have to sell before we buy. We're not broke, just not rolling in it!!! #balancedbudgeting

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

I agree. I think we won’t be spending silly money but I’m quietly confident when we identify a target we won’t lose out like we did before from having to haggle over a million here or there. The point of having an owner with financial ability… 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

Yes, but the day before this deal was confirmed, we had just sold Tzolis for a similar amount. Go figure. As I've said on this MB many times we are adhering to the policy spelt out by Richens last November that we have to sell before we buy. We're not broke, just not rolling in it!!! #balancedbudgeting

I’d be interested to see what kind of spending happens this summer. I think it’ll be a lot lower than previous seasons across the football leagues.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I agree. I think we won’t be spending silly money but I’m quietly confident when we identify a target we won’t lose out like we did before from having to haggle over a million here or there. The point of having an owner with financial ability… 

Not if the pinkun lads are to be believed, in the last pod they were all saying they can't see us spending any money outside of the Cordoba deal, any other incomings just loans or free. 

3 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Not if the pinkun lads are to be believed, in the last pod they were all saying they can't see us spending any money outside of the Cordoba deal, any other incomings just loans or free. 

Given we failed to get promoted and we have a lot of players on high wages I do feel that unless we sell one or two players for high fees we won't be spending on anyone.

The decision to ditch both our LBs doesn't sit too well with me.

Bringing in high wage earners like Barnes and Duffy is really frustrating if we can't afford to have a basic starting XI.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

They did offer the important caveat “before any sales” though no ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

They did offer the important caveat “before any sales” though no ?

I'm pretty sure that was more of a possibility than an inevitability. 

44 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Bringing in high wage earners like Barnes and Duffy is really frustrating if we can't afford to have a basic starting XI.

Reports are they tried to retain McCallum but couldn't come to an agreement. I suspect he wanted to go somewhere he'll be the starting left back and Norwich may not have been able to promise him that with a change of head coach in the works. 

• Like 1

I’m guessing we felt we could get better value for money than Mcallum.

Any word on where Frese is heading ?

Archant have confirmed Thorup and knapper doing press next Friday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

I’d be interested to see what kind of spending happens this summer. I think it’ll be a lot lower than previous seasons across the football leagues.

On Wolfie's Contract Conundrums thread I've just added my current analysis of the state of the squad as we stand here today. Although there ostensibly seems to be lots of gaps to fill, I just don't think there is any budget in terms of salary available. To fill those gaps, we will have to sell if only to free up the salary. Even if we sold someone for an 8 figure sum, at best it will only free up one salary, unless part of the fee receivable is spent on salaries for more players. It is a tricky balancing act from hereon in this new parachute money free world.

It will be interesting, but I don't expect a great deal to happen until someone is sold, unless Norfolk Holdings free up lots more cash which would go against Attanasio's Brewer's MO.

2 hours ago, Soldier on said:

I’m guessing we felt we could get better value for money than Mcallum.

Any word on where Frese is heading ?

Archant have confirmed Thorup and knapper doing press next Friday.

I wonder with Frese and Willock may become our new two signings on frees. Of course, its purely speculation at this stage. 

8 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

One player I think would be good to sell would be Hernandez. I know we wouldn’t get much money for him, but because he’s only got one year left (+1), injury prone, past it, doesn’t fit in with Knapper’s age profile, and probably on a salary of about £1m p/a looking back at the time he’s been with us 

I doubt he's on that much tbh. Not only that, there is more value to him than just the player on the pitch. I don't expect him to go this summer. Next summer may be, we'll be poorer in many ways without him, especially if this is a period of transition. He's pretty much the "Mr Norwich" in this squad, and he's clearly been a part of bedding in Sara and Nunez. I've stated before that I wonder if him getting a new deal at the time we announced greater scouting in South and Central America was not a coincidence. Around the same time we signed Sara and Nunez in fact.

He fights for the shirt but is also understanding if given a squad role, is a good pro and is very positive. You need players like that in the squad.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he does go... I'm just not convinced, as some people seem to be, that we'll see massive wholesale changes.

As things stand we have let go of:
Danny Batth
Ben Gibson
Dimitris Giannoulis
Sydney van Hooijdonk (returning to Bologna)
Sam McCallum
Jon McCracken

From the 1st team squad. The following are coming back from loans:Adam Idah
Abu Kamara
Vicente Reyes
Tony Springett
Jon Tomkinson
Jaden Warner
Brad Hills
Lewis Shipley
Emmanuel Adegboyega

Tzolis has gone for around £3-5m plus the rumoured two for his loan. The BBC are stating that we paid £8.8m for him. If that's the case, we have recouped the vast majority of his fee.

Cordoba is arriving for a similar fee.

The first port of call surely has to be to determine whether any of the players returning from their loans can take up places left by departing players, including those who may be on their way that we don't know about for sure - eg; Rowe leaves, can Kamara step up.

I think the two most obvious ones from the loans list in terms of their futures are Tomkinson and Springett. Tomkinson is 22 and Springett turns 22 in September. I didn't actually realise until now, but Warner is 22 in October, so could well be another there. Hills was 20 in March so you'd expect another season on loan for him is more likely.

It's very easy at this point to name the likes of Duffy, Hanley, Barnes, Hernandez and Fassnacht as players folks may want to move on whilst citing age, but we are already hunting for another CB, two LBs and then potentially replacing players that may be sold. It is going to be a very interesting summer that will have several different permeations depending upon offers for players and which ones the club will deem more expendable as much as star players are.

We're going to be unable to shift some of the more experienced players unless we pay up some of their contract etc so I suspect that we'd be lucky that even if we sold them, that it wouldn't realistically be more of a "carbon neutral" type of deal. We'd also probably only do that if we sold players that could help us offload them AND still give us funds to replace them. 

Posted (edited)

I am awaiting the exciting summer they quoted. To me that translates to me being pretty damn happy at the end of the window. But with most things Norwich related, they often fall short.

Edited by jaberry2

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

On Wolfie's Contract Conundrums thread I've just added my current analysis of the state of the squad as we stand here today. Although there ostensibly seems to be lots of gaps to fill, I just don't think there is any budget in terms of salary available. To fill those gaps, we will have to sell if only to free up the salary. Even if we sold someone for an 8 figure sum, at best it will only free up one salary, unless part of the fee receivable is spent on salaries for more players. It is a tricky balancing act from hereon in this new parachute money free world.

It will be interesting, but I don't expect a great deal to happen until someone is sold, unless Norfolk Holdings free up lots more cash which would go against Attanasio's Brewer's MO.

This ^^

I suspect that those most likely to be sold probably aren't on big wages either apart from perhaps Sargent who I think is the most recent to have signed a new contract. Rowe's runs out soon and I can't imagine it was mega bucks. Sara was brought over with Nunez and whilst he may not be on small wages I can't see it being that huge either. More so with Nunez who was the lesser known of the two. Sainz?

Batth probably wasn't on too big a wage but it would have been a relative chunk.

As you say, I think if they are going to reduce the wage bill creatively, it may be to use some of the sale money to contribute towards the wages of a Duffy or Barnes etc, moving to another club. Might not look like good business at that moment but if we can pay a top up to the club that takes them, it means we aren't paying the full whack for more seasons. Would be interesting to know who the bigger earners are now. Gunn? Hanley? We auto think of older pros, but I do wonder if the longer contracts handed to them were to mitigate not paying the bigger wages elsewhere might have been offering for a season?

11 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I am awaiting the exciting summer they quoted. To me that translates to me being pretty damn happy at the end of the window. But with most things Norwich related, they often fall short.

Yup, always err on the side of caution. That way you are never disappointed and if you are lucky, you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

56 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Was actually an “exciting January” that Wagner initially alluded to.

8 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

We don't know how high a wage they are on though, a lot of folks keep suggesting this but are they? I suspect that the reason we offered them longer contracts was to mitigate the fact we were likely offering less than shorter term deals, for example, one year with an option of another.

For Duffy and Barnes, single year contracts might be more lucrative but they are riskier. An injury or a change in manager or ownership and they are back out there looking for another contract, another year older. They may have to drop lower down the championship and lower in wages. So less money but contracted for more seasons gives more security.

1 hour ago, Soldier on said:

Was actually an “exciting January” that Wagner initially alluded to.

Which makes you wonder, did he know back then even? And this statement was more to put pressure on Knapper and underline that with a couple of signings he could have taken us a bit further? If he did, says a lot about his character that he still pushed the team as far as he did.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chicken said:

6 goals and 2 assists in the league in his first season of English football. The first season he has played anywhere but Switzerland.

That's in 40 appearances ammounting to 1815mins. That's about 45mins per game. He was a sub that came on 17 times and subbed off 21 times. All in the league.

I feel he has been underated. He may not be Rowe but he helped bring balance by being good at tracking back. Certainly a willing tackler and appeared to deal with the physicality well. He didn't look out of place, perhaps not an eye pleaser with twinkle toes like others.

Worth noting that Sainz got the same goals and assists but from more minutes in 7 fewer games.

"Supporters off their seats" should never be a factor. Results are. Kenny would have been shipped out seasons ago by several folks on here for similar reasons.

All a matter of opinion.   Recognise the games about defence as much as attack.   He’s not convinced me with his overall efforts.    Appreciate it might be getting used to English football too, time will tell.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I would be surprised if that is the case. Not least because, given Cordoba didn’t cost much, it would suggest we are not going to cash in on any of our high-rated players.

17 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I would be surprised if that is the case. Not least because, given Cordoba didn’t cost much, it would suggest we are not going to cash in on any of our high-rated players.

We need to cash in on one or two just to stand still. 

10 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

We need to cash in on one or two just to stand still. 

The spin from Carrow Road seems to be mixed. We need to sell to buy, but also we now only need to sell for footballling reasons rather than financial ones, suggesting some bank-rolling by Attanasio. I will be surprised if Cordoba is the only acquisition we pay actual money for.

What appears certain is that this window will be the start - only the start - of a process of reducing the age of the squad and to an extent the wage bill.

• Like 1

The release of Gibson, Batth, Giannoulis and McCallum produced a £3.6m saving on wages, which was more than enough to finance the Cordoba signing so the money from the sale of Tzolis is a net plus. The key question from here would seem to be how much Attanasio's group is willing to invest in squad development. He went on record to say that money was available for team strengthening in the January window but Knapper chose not to use it then. That could provide a possibility of keeping Sargent, Sara and/or Rowe, signing Frese and Willock on loan and using the young players returning from loans to strengthen the rest of the squad.

Abu Kamara
Vicente Reyes
Tony Springett
Jon Tomkinson
Jaden Warner
Brad Hills
Lewis Shipley
Emmanuel Adegboyega

On 15/06/2024 at 09:38, PurpleCanary said:

The spin from Carrow Road seems to be mixed. We need to sell to buy, but also we now only need to sell for footballling reasons rather than financial ones, suggesting some bank-rolling by Attanasio. I will be surprised if Cordoba is the only acquisition we pay actual money for.

What appears certain is that this window will be the start - only the start - of a process of reducing the age of the squad and to an extent the wage bill.

So are we just ignoring FFP? Happy to take our chances with a deduction? or is some creative accounting underway to prevent us breaching?

We may have Attanasio’s financial backing but I’m unclear, just from what’s public knowledge from our accounts, how we can lose parachute payments after two years of losses and not be needing to generate funds to avoid breaching the rules?

I assume however the way to interpret the Carrow Road line is that the football reasons are FFP and we won’t buy new players without selling but we are comfortable with the level of debt if we can’t get the money we want for players. 

1 hour ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

produced a £3.6m saving on wages, which was more than enough to finance the Cordoba signing so the money from the sale of Tzolis is a net plus.

Repsectfully i totally disagree.

The saving on wages was a necessity to meet the impact of the loss in parachute payments this season. So Tzokis sale was not a plus, but also necessary to fund Cordoba's purchase. 

After a lot of careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that Danny Mills has not got a clue.  I suspect journalists ask him his opinion knowing it is likely to be slightly crazy.  I accept every player has a price, yet I really can’t see NCFC selling a player for less than the market rate to a competitor - name any striker who has had a decent championship record who has sold for less than 20M?  I am a bit concerned that these rumours persist, and perhaps our valuation for the first out of the door will be a lot lower than we expect.