Sign in to follow this  
littleyellowbirdie

The climate change thread.

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Prove that it isn't. 

It's probably everything else that's to blame for the whole damn thing...if it really existed, which it obviously doesn't...It was a lovely day here, just like the weather used to be, before the idea of global warming and all that nonsense started. 🤣

Apples

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ricardo said:

Mrs R has put the heating on again.

Indeed, floods in June and 50 degrees heat in central USA.

I've stood up for various eco protests before but I can't justify the attack on Stonehenge today. A real backwards step that will anger far too many people to be of any use. Stupid move. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I've stood up for various eco protests before but I can't justify the attack on Stonehenge today. A real backwards step that will anger far too many people to be of any use. Stupid move. 

Big brain time;

The oil industry has infiltrated just stop oil and is sending them to do stupid things that they know will give them negative publicity in order to discredit the entire cause.

• Like 2

On 13/06/2024 at 20:14, ricardo said:

Mrs R has put the heating on again.

Hundreds dying around the globe as temperatures in the likes of India up 8degrees and hitting 50 degrees daily. Worryingly the monsoons are yet to appear, to you are right to point out how the climate has just gone mad.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Big brain time;

The oil industry has infiltrated just stop oil and is sending them to do stupid things that they know will give them negative publicity in order to discredit the entire cause.

Evidence?  Surely the eco-protesters are sufficiently obsessed and self-righteous to dream up their own stupid stunts without needing any outside assistance.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/20/just-stop-oil-targets-taylor-swift-airfield/

Vandalism is bad enough but the security issues raised by them cutting through fences to get airside at a major airport are a serious cause for concern.  Long custodial sentences are surely required for the perpetrators of this latest incident.

Edited by Naturalcynic

15 hours ago, Herman said:

Infantile and even childish. Quite pathetic in the wider scheme of things about all things climate. You'd hope there were better brains working on a strategy that might unite hearts and minds for the majority. Clearly, there aren't.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Infantile and even childish. Quite pathetic in the wider scheme of things about all things climate. You'd hope there were better brains working on a strategy that might unite hearts and minds for the majority. Clearly, there aren't.

In my wilder moments I did wonder what we could spray these miscreants with - something that would wash them all away when left in the rain.

Something to be said for medieval stocks and humiliation.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Yes.   Just stop oil have been told so so many times that they are losing hearts and minds every time they do this, but they continue to press on.

They can rationalise it any way they want and employ all sorts of logic and philosophy to do that  but that doesn't mean that they are not doing  more harm than good.

These campaigns are not about the cause, they are about the activists and their personal need for attention

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

In my wilder moments I did wonder what we could spray these miscreants with - something that would wash them all away when left in the rain.

Something to be said for medieval stocks and humiliation.

Just think of all the druids today. At home ironing their outfits for the annual trip to the nearest to Stonehenge as they can get. And the sadness they will feel at the desecration.

It reminds me of that Walter Matthau story when he promised his wife a visit to Auschwitz when he was acting in Poland and she was getting really angry that the taxi driver was so late to pick them up from their hotel. When he eventually arrived and Matthau sat in the back of the taxi he growled at the driver "you've ruined Auschwitz for me".

Whether you agree or disagree with the protestors I wonder how history will remember them ? Maybe they will just be described as a load of nutters, or maybe just like Emily Pankhurst, people will be saying ‘ they arrested them why ? ‘.

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Whether you agree or disagree with the protestors I wonder how history will remember them ? Maybe they will just be described as a load of nutters, or maybe just like Emily Pankhurst, people will be saying ‘ they arrested them why ? ‘.

The reason why the Suffragettes are given a pass by history is that they had no democratic voice hence the only action open to them was indeed outside the law.

JSO can vote and indeed persuade others so to do.

Their criminal actions are not comparable to the Suffragette cause - indeed I think it harms their cause as it enables some to dismiss or pigeonhole their cause as crank.

6 hours ago, Well b back said:

If they're right, history won't have anything to say because we'll all be dead.

I went to the Pyrenees in mid-February;  there was barely any snow. The locals were very confused.

Now I’m in Cascais at the south end of Portugal at the end of June; it has been raining and overcast every day. The locals are very confused.

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I went to the Pyrenees in mid-February;  there was barely any snow. The locals were very confused.

Now I’m in Cascais at the south end of Portugal at the end of June; it has been raining and overcast every day. The locals are very confused.

Maybe it's not the weather that is the theme.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

Maybe it's not the weather that is the theme.

You just can’t help yourself. Pathetic.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

It is still raining. This is genuinely the wettest summer (and for longer than just the summer actually) of my entire life - Ive never seen anything like this for as long as this.

That is just on this little island, without mentioning all the global weather events going on which just get more regular and more extreme.

We are sleepwalking into an absolute disaster. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

It is still raining. This is genuinely the wettest summer (and for longer than just the summer actually) of my entire life - Ive never seen anything like this for as long as this.

That is just on this little island, without mentioning all the global weather events going on which just get more regular and more extreme.

We are sleepwalking into an absolute disaster. 

Too right we are - and whilst it is fair to say that some of the effects of the climate change which is now well underway are surprising the scientists, much of it is exactly as predicted albeit happening slightly earlier than predicted.

In the case of the greatly increased rainfall in the UK, this is exactly what the scientists predicted for the UK a long time ago - for very obvious and understandable reasons, and unfortunately in the years to come it will continue to increase - if Wimbledon wants to carry on into the future I think they need to start roofing over all the main courts or spread it over a month rather than a fortnight 🙄

• Like 1

Smarmite taking  the £230m Boris Bus to Washington to attend the NATO summit

Where Hungary, Turkey and France “wobble” and don’t want to be involved

And the Smarmy Lawyer wants us to be Carbon Neutral in 2030 lol lol lol