It's been well publicised that more games will be live next season, and Sky have now given more details:

https://www.skysports.com/share/13130980

The Athletic have also provided more info:

https://theathletic.com/5434909/2024/05/03/sky-sports-efl-ifollow?source=user-shared-article

I know a lot of people will complain about games being moved from the 3pm Saturday slot, but I like the look of this, personally.

But they won’t be showing *all* games. So how - just asking for a friend - would this affect someone “living abroad” (definitely not using a VPN) who has been subscribing to Canaries TV to watch games, including those at 3PM?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

But they won’t be showing *all* games. So how - just asking for a friend - would this affect someone “living abroad” (definitely not using a VPN) who has been subscribing to Canaries TV to watch games, including those at 3PM?

I guess it will affect the unofficial little rivers as well, given that they, ahem, borrow their feed from ifollow.

Posted (edited)

Oh well, it's back to the fabulous BBC text service then!

Or the same thing on the club's matchday, live text feed.

The joys of being a non-Sky subscriber.

Edit: just seen the above, when I finished typing. So it will be the frequent 'imaginary' Channel Tunnel trips, in that case.

Edited by Addick/Canary

NowTV Sports Monthly Pass with Boast is a viable option that doesn't cost too much if you have decent broadband.  It allows three concurrent streams and includes all of the Sky Sports channels.  We currently split a membership between myself, my dad and my father-in-law costing us about £10 each per month.

28 minutes ago, Matt Juler said:

NowTV Sports Monthly Pass with Boast is a viable option that doesn't cost too much if you have decent broadband.  It allows three concurrent streams and includes all of the Sky Sports channels.  We currently split a membership between myself, my dad and my father-in-law costing us about £10 each per month.

Likewise - I got a pass for £14.99 a month (for one device - Standard def)  at the start of the season, until August.

Boost at £6.00 per month gives 3 devices and HD - which i split, so its £10.50 per month - decent service too - although its a streamed service, I watch through BT, and cannot record, pause or rewind. My son who watched through a PS5 app, can pause and rewind. 

Will be looking to renew at same / similar rates next season. 

• Like 1

'The scale of Sky Sports+ will be evident from the opening weekend of the 2024/25 season, with every game from across all three divisions - the Championship, League One and League Two - streamed live, a first in broadcasting history.' 

So no 3pm games that first weekend at all? Sound pretty dumb to me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Likewise - I got a pass for £14.99 a month (for one device - Standard def)  at the start of the season, until August.

Boost at £6.00 per month gives 3 devices and HD - which i split, so its £10.50 per month - decent service too - although its a streamed service, I watch through BT, and cannot record, pause or rewind. My son who watched through a PS5 app, can pause and rewind. 

Will be looking to renew at same / similar rates next season. 

Yup, and as soon as your offer expires and they put the price up, just go to cancel and you'll get another offer. I think I'm about two months into a 'six months for £20 a month' offer. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, The Raptor said:

'The scale of Sky Sports+ will be evident from the opening weekend of the 2024/25 season, with every game from across all three divisions - the Championship, League One and League Two - streamed live, a first in broadcasting history.' 

So no 3pm games that first weekend at all? Sound pretty dumb to me. 

I think that you will find that there are EFL 3pm ko's that day, just that Sky can screen them due to the lack of premiership games that day. The rules about TV coverage are linked to the amount of premiership games being played. 

Are you assuming that we will not be promoted? 

Edited by Conrad

At least 20 of our games will be televised. On average 10 home games?

Might be something to bear in mind if you are ST holder and can only make Saturday 3pm.

How is this likely to affect those actually living abroad who rely on the Canaries TV international pass? Currently, unless living in Afghanistan, Tierra del Fuego, or on an Antarctic base, any game shown internationally, which I suppose includes all shown on Sky, is unavailable.

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

I think that you will find that there are EFL 3pm ko's that day, just that Sky can screen them due to the lack of premiership games that day. The rules about TV coverage are linked to the amount of premiership games being played. 

Are you assuming that we will not be promoted? 

UEFA Article 48 allows the FA to ban any domestic game that kicks of between 2:45pm to 5:15pm being shown on TV. Has nothing to do with whether the Premier League is happening or not. 

I suspect the opening day of the season will be a midday kickoff on Sunday, like the last day of the season. 

17 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

How is this likely to affect those actually living abroad who rely on the Canaries TV international pass? Currently, unless living in Afghanistan, Tierra del Fuego, or on an Antarctic base, any game shown internationally, which I suppose includes all shown on Sky, is unavailable.

Sky have said they will continue to show the games that would have been on iFollow internationally. Basically, Sky now own iFollow so there is no rights clash like there was between Sky and iFollow previously. 

• Thanks 1

Tin hat on here but...

I'm not sure I understand why people are so wedded to 3pm Saturday outside of 'this is how we've always done it.' It exists because football used to be for the working classes who would work Saturday morning and the finish in time for the game. That sort of working pattern is long dead to most but any suggestion of moving away from 3pm kick offs is seen as somehow hurting the soul of the game.

Saturday 12:30 can be a great time- the slightly rule breaking thrill of a pint before midday, the entire afternoon to celebrate if you win and home at a half decent time. Sunday 4:30pm can be good- a whole weekend building towards the game, maybe a cheeky roast at a good pub not far from the ground beforehand. 

Saturday 5:30pm- finish the game, commiserations or celebrations down the pub, maybe a 9pm trip to the curry house or a night on the town.

I'm personally of the opinion that a bit of variety is good as long as people are given enough notice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Tin hat on here but...

I'm not sure I understand why people are so wedded to 3pm Saturday outside of 'this is how we've always done it.' It exists because football used to be for the working classes who would work Saturday morning and the finish in time for the game. That sort of working pattern is long dead to most but any suggestion of moving away from 3pm kick offs is seen as somehow hurting the soul of the game.

Saturday 12:30 can be a great time- the slightly rule breaking thrill of a pint before midday, the entire afternoon to celebrate if you win and home at a half decent time. Sunday 4:30pm can be good- a whole weekend building towards the game, maybe a cheeky roast at a good pub not far from the ground beforehand. 

Saturday 5:30pm- finish the game, commiserations or celebrations down the pub, maybe a 9pm trip to the curry house or a night on the town.

I'm personally of the opinion that a bit of variety is good as long as people are given enough notice.

While I don't think 3pm is a sacrosanct time for football, I do understand why people get frustrated at various times when they have their lives to plan. Seems part of the Sky deal is they will give more notice of game changes, for the first part of the season at least, which is good. But can imagine there are a lot of people who struggle to make games which were originally meant to be on the weekend and are now on a Monday or Friday night. Equally, I'm sure there are people who struggle to get to games at earlier/later kickoff times on the weekend. 

Since having a family, the window in which I can attend football games has dramatically reduced and meant having a season ticket is no longer really feasible as I'd miss too many games. 3pm on a Saturday is the most workable time for me, others will differ, but can see why a smorgasbord of game times is difficult for many. Obviously as a London resident it is harder for me to make games anyway.

I do increasingly feel the 3pm blackout is starting to become fairly pointless though as streaming has meant those who really want to see those games still can and I'm not sure it is having a massive boost to attendances in the lower leagues anymore.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

While I don't think 3pm is a sacrosanct time for football, I do understand why people get frustrated at various times when they have their lives to plan. Seems part of the Sky deal is they will give more notice of game changes, for the first part of the season at least, which is good. But can imagine there are a lot of people who struggle to make games which were originally meant to be on the weekend and are now on a Monday or Friday night. Equally, I'm sure there are people who struggle to get to games at earlier/later kickoff times on the weekend. 

Since having a family, the window in which I can attend football games has dramatically reduced and meant having a season ticket is no longer really feasible as I'd miss too many games. 3pm on a Saturday is the most workable time for me, others will differ, but can see why a smorgasbord of game times is difficult for many. Obviously as a London resident it is harder for me to make games anyway.

I do increasingly feel the 3pm blackout is starting to become fairly pointless though as streaming has meant those who really want to see those games still can and I'm not sure it is having a massive boost to attendances in the lower leagues anymore.

That is a good summary thanks. I've got kids now and I don't think a season ticket is viable based on that and where I live no matter the kick off time but it makes sense some would like to just have consistency to plan around.

I have long wondered if the answer to the 3pm blackout is basically to move all Premier League games out of that slot. Similar to how in the US Saturday is for College Football and Sunday is for the NFL.

Edited by king canary

If you want to build the supporters of the future, by bringing your kids and grandkids to the game, the best day to do that is still Saturday (or Sunday, at a pinch).

It's not easy to attend on a "school night", so even more weekday, evening matches are definitely a no-go in my mind.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

UEFA Article 48 allows the FA to ban any domestic game that kicks of between 2:45pm to 5:15pm being shown on TV. Has nothing to do with whether the Premier League is happening or not. 

I suspect the opening day of the season will be a midday kickoff on Sunday, like the last day of the season. 

The Guardian reports that "Coverage of the season will begin and end with a full round of fixtures, with the traditional Saturday blackout set to be avoided because Premier League sides will not be playing at the same time." (The Guardian, 8.5.24)

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Saturday 12:30 can be a great time- the slightly rule breaking thrill of a pint before midday, the entire afternoon to celebrate if you win and home at a half decent time.

Can also pop along to Day Fever with the other oldies and dance the late afternoon away! Then grab a kebab and watch the football on TV!

10 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

The Guardian reports that "Coverage of the season will begin and end with a full round of fixtures, with the traditional Saturday blackout set to be avoided because Premier League sides will not be playing at the same time." (The Guardian, 8.5.24)

That's interesting - seems everyday is a school day.

I just had a look and there is a clause that allows 3pm kick offs if 50% of the top two divisions games aren't playing at that time. Also means they will show League One and Two games at 3pm on Saturday during international breaks (which they could have done before but seemingly chose not to?).

As the Championship has more teams than the Prem, for the 50% threshold to be reached you'd assume that at least a couple of games need to be outside of the 3pm blackout. The Sky website says they will screen 'all 36 fixtures on the weekend of 10 and 11 August', which suggests at least some games on Sunday. 

It does seem this is the first step towards the erosion of the 3pm blackout, which is probably doomed in the long run. Whether that is a good or bad thing is an unknown. 

On 08/05/2024 at 13:08, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

International streaming on iFollow will remain, so those 'living' abroad will still be able to watch. 

Which presumably means the unofficial rivers found all over the Internet will continue as before.