I must admit I do like the idea of the following attacking 4

Sarge

Sainz, Sara and Rowe

with Kenny & Nuenez backing them up. 
That’ll be very interesting.  Attack is the best form of defence in my view. 

• Like 6

Yea I’d much rather he plays Rowe if Barnes is unavailable and moves Sara inside (or Rowe to be fair) than put Nunez in the 10 and play Sorensen there. The Nunez/Kenny partnership has been fantastic and Nunez has really grown into the role.

We need to beat Leeds and to do that I think you’ve really got to get the guys most likely to score and create goals on the pitch.

• Like 3

Yeah, I think that's probably what we'll see, unless Wagner fancies giving Fassnacht the first hour and then introducing the fresh legs of Rowe as an impact sub once the Leeds defence tires. 

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to that, although I expect social media would have a meltdown when the team is announced should that happen.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yeah, I think that's probably what we'll see, unless Wagner fancies giving Fassnacht the first hour and then introducing the fresh legs of Rowe as an impact sub once the Leeds defence tires. 

That's my choice. Fassnacht and Sara interchanging the ten and right-inverted winger roles. Rowe as supersub.

I'm worried about Duffy. He's great against Millwall-type teams who hoof it up, but he's far too ponderous to cope with Leeds or Southampton forwards in my opinion, especially when we try to play out and beat the press. But what's the alternative? We don't really have a central defender who's comfortable on the ball. Gibson when he's on form perhaps, but he's prone to errors.

I think Sunday will see the same starting xi that started at Elland road in Jan, which had these 4 as the front line

As for the cb options , while it may be one most suited to an aggressive experimental kenny and lungi at Cb due to better mobility & ball movement ,  it will be duffy & Gibson as the best of the now all fit cbs.

With Barnes injured I doubt there are many other options.

It's whether Wagner feels he can start Rowe.

49 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I'm worried about Duffy. He's great against Millwall-type teams who hoof it up, but he's far too ponderous to cope with Leeds or Southampton forwards in my opinion, especially when we try to play out and beat the press. But what's the alternative? We don't really have a central defender who's comfortable on the ball. Gibson when he's on form perhaps, but he's prone to errors.

We all know Farke's weakness is at set pieces. I wouldn't be surprised if Duffy scores against them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

With Barnes injured I doubt there are many other options.

It's whether Wagner feels he can start Rowe.

I think Wagner has come out already and said Rowe is not fit enough to start. It will no doubt be a mix of Fass/Rowe. Now this might be a stupid question...but I assume Kamara cant play as he would be ineligible as registered to another team?

Posted (edited)

Fassnacht has been a bit of a scapegoat for me, often accusing him as being as effective as a chocolate teapot, but he was decent against Swansea.

I don't think he's got as much of an eye for goal as some seem to, though.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Oh come on this Wagner!

I can see him starting with Hanley, Duffy, Baath and Gibson with Dimi and Stacy making a firm back 6, Kenny, Nunez and Lungi in midfield with Sara up top alone. 😉 

Now am I being serious? 

2 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I think Wagner has come out already and said Rowe is not fit enough to start. It will no doubt be a mix of Fass/Rowe. Now this might be a stupid question...but I assume Kamara cant play as he would be ineligible as registered to another team?

I suspect Wagner will not want to lose the tie before he tries to win it.

Kamara isn't eligible unfortunately.

It's pitiful the lack of options we have really. I know Onel, Barnes abd Gibbs are injured but it's still pretty threadbare.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to that, although I expect social media would have a meltdown when the team is announced should that happen.

I don’t think Rowe has looked fully fit, certainly not as though he was ready to start in the last few games, so it may well be as you suggest.  

We need to be relentless on Sunday, I can't see us getting to the final unless we go to Elland Road with at least a two goal cushion.  I would go with Sara in the number 10 role, supporting Sarg.  Start with Sainz and Fassi on the wings with Rowe to come on at some stage (not that he's made much of an impact, other than at Preston, but will have had another full week of training).

I think the rest of the team picks itself, the only question is whether it's Dimi or Sam at left back.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I suspect Wagner will not want to lose the tie before he tries to win it.

Kamara isn't eligible unfortunately.

It's pitiful the lack of options we have really. I know Onel, Barnes abd Gibbs are injured but it's still pretty threadbare.

Yep for me it highlights again bad transfer business this year. Could of had one or two loan options helping us out, especially in wings and attack. It hasn't helped that SVH looks pants so far (not that im writing him off, he looks well off the pace). Well I suppose we are where we are and Wagner deserves plaudits for getting us to the playoffs with this team. I just hope we give Leeds a good run for their money

Edited by jaberry2

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Maybe put Keeny in at CB and put Sorensen in DM?

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Fassnacht has been a bit of a scapegoat for me, often accusing him as being as effective as a chocolate teapot, but he was decent against Swansea.

I don't think he's got as much of an eye for goal as some seem to, though.

He’s suffering first season abroad syndrome for me. He’s clearly talented and one of the best snap finishers IMO.

He just doesn’t seem a natural wideman, much better drifting into the centre and the box.

3 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

I must admit I do like the idea of the following attacking 4

Sarge

Sainz, Sara and Rowe

with Kenny & Nuenez backing them up. 
That’ll be very interesting.  Attack is the best form of defence in my view. 

It is for us, as great as that looks the CB look our weakness. But that is a frightening front line!

Posted (edited)

Given Leeds' main threat is through Summerville who plays down their left, I suspect Wagner will want to have either Fassnacht or Sara there as both are good at tracking their man and put in the yards up and down the wing.

2 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

We all know Farke's weakness is at set pieces. I wouldn't be surprised if Duffy scores against them.

No team has conceded more from deadballs this season in the Championship than Norwich, conversely no one has scored more from deadballs than Norwich.  

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Maybe put Keeny in at CB and put Sorensen in DM?

If we had more time that's what I'd have tried. But the pairing of Kenny & Nacho is too valuable to our style, they're working so well together it'd be too risky to split them up.

Gibson & Duffy are my main concern, but they are both very experienced pros. & will be well aware of the threat Leeds pose; they'll just have to be unwaveringly on it for 90+ minutes. I think they're capable of it. Fingers crossed they are ...

I agree I want to see that team as well, in a lot of games I wouldn't want both Rowe and Sainz starting but we know what Farke teams weaknesses are: direct running and set pieces. We need both Rowe and Sainz to start to provide the running threat on the counter and both Nunez and Sara to provide the set piece threat. Get the ball up to Sarge quickly, have him lay it off to Sara in the no.10 role and have him play it to Rowe or Sainz to the full backs to run at them. I think if we only played one of Rowe or Sainz they could double up on them but having to worry about them both will cause them issues especially with our FB's very comfortable with ball carrying. Hopefully Rowe and Sainz can draw a lot of fouls and win loads of corners too. Accept that Leeds are gonna have a lot of the ball, deny them space to play in then exploit their weaknesses when they lose it or we win it back. I know a lot of fans don't want to see us play that way but in such an important couple of games off game against a Farke side it's the logical approach to take. 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Given Leeds' main threat is through Summerville who plays down their left, I suspect Wagner will want to have either Fassnacht or Sara there as both are good at tracking their man and put in the yards up and down the wing.

No team has conceded more from deadballs this season in the Championship than Norwich, conversely no one has scored more from deadballs than Norwich.  

Fassnacht is as much use at this role as a chocolate teapot. He does NOT get any sort of tackle in. Only Argos could really carry out that role using his physical aggression. He can also 'get the team up the pitch' when we're under pressure like he did so well at Ipswich. The loss of those particular attributes through him being injured is a huge blow for us. 

4 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Fassnacht is as much use at this role as a chocolate teapot. He does NOT get any sort of tackle in. Only Argos could really carry out that role using his physical aggression. He can also 'get the team up the pitch' when we're under pressure like he did so well at Ipswich. The loss of those particular attributes through him being injured is a huge blow for us. 

It isn't really about getting a 'tackle in', more about making sure Summerville doesn't get space and time. Onel is great dribbler, but he switches off defensively far too often, as does Rowe. 

Fassnacht is better at carrying out his defensive duties in tracking his man and making sure he doesn't get to double up on the right back. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It isn't really about getting a 'tackle in', more about making sure Summerville doesn't get space and time. Onel is great dribbler, but he switches off defensively far too often, as does Rowe. 

Fassnacht is better at carrying out his defensive duties in tracking his man and making sure he doesn't get to double up on the right back. 

Good to see you back on the site. Always find your posts both insightful, interesting and more  sensible than some on here.

I use this post as an example.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ernie Wise said:

Good to see you back on the site. Always find your posts both insightful, interesting and more  sensible than some on here.

I use this post as an example.

Yeah, seconded. More @Bethnal Yellow and Green please.