Sign in to follow this  
essex canary

Away attendance league table

I am sure there is a stick there somewhere if you look hard enough.

2 minutes ago, Satriales said:

I saw the home one earlier and we were ahead of the bin men.

Only on % of capacity.  Away support has definitely dwindled and presumably our poor away performances over the season have had something to do with that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Assuming those numbers are accurate, then Plymouth have got themselves a great away following 

Always have had.  Given the distances involved they have a tremendous away support and put many other clubs to shame.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Only on % of capacity.  Away support has definitely dwindled and presumably our poor away performances over the season have had something to do with that.

I've always understood that absent season ticket holders are counted as attending for these stats, which makes it kind of stupid when you see all the empty seats.

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

I've always understood that absent season ticket holders are counted as attending for these stats, which makes it kind of stupid when you see all the empty seats.

Yes, it’s rather meaningless and disingenuous as it gives no idea of the true number of people actually in the ground. All it shows is the number of tickets sold.

4 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Yes, it’s rather meaningless and disingenuous as it gives no idea of the true number of people actually in the ground. All it shows is the number of tickets sold.

I think that clubs never publish that true number (which they obviously can access) because they want to hide poor actual attendances. I find that sort of manipulative dishonesty a bit distasteful, but I suppose all clubs do it.

Posted (edited)

Am I being thick (again) here, it’s just what our average away following is this season. Our numbers have dropped quite a lot in the last few seasons. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

12 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

I think that clubs never publish that true number (which they obviously can access) because they want to hide poor actual attendances. I find that sort of manipulative dishonesty a bit distasteful, but I suppose all clubs do it.

It isn’t ’manipulative dishonesty’ in the slightest.  If a ticket has been sold it cannot be sold again, so it is perfectly fair to include it in the attendance.  I imagine the away figures are similarly the number of tickets sold.

All clubs report attendances the same way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It isn’t ’manipulative dishonesty’ in the slightest.  If a ticket has been sold it cannot be sold again, so it is perfectly fair to include it in the attendance.  I imagine the away figures are similarly the number of tickets sold.

All clubs report attendances the same way.

Yes, all clubs use this to report their attendances, although of course that really isn’t what they’re reporting at all even if they like to pretend it is.  Number of tickets sold does not equal the numbers in attendance, although for away matches it’s likely to be a lot closer.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

a ticket has been sold it cannot be sold again, so it is perfectly fair to include it in the attendance.

Technically incorrect. Most clubs allow season tickets to be resold if a ST holder cannot make it to a match! (Okay Essex, some clubs resale systems work better than others).

So theoretically it is possible that ticket sales could actually exceed capacity with resold ST's. But no club would ever report that! But do any of those capacities include season tickets resold? 🤔

15th is about where we deserve to be in the proper league table.

Everyone out!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Technically incorrect. Most clubs allow season tickets to be resold if a ST holder cannot make it to a match! (Okay Essex, some clubs resale systems work better than others).

So theoretically it is possible that ticket sales could actually exceed capacity with resold ST's. But no club would ever report that! But do any of those capacities include season tickets resold? 🤔

No, that is just wrong, plain and simple. A resold ticket counts as one ticket. But if it isn’t offered for resale, a club cannot resell so it is included in the official attendance. It is not rocket science, and nor is it unfair to report tickets sold as an attendance figure - it isn’t for clubs to second guess who isn’t attending and why.  

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

No, that is just wrong, plain and simple. A resold ticket counts as one ticket. But if it isn’t offered for resale, a club cannot resell so it is included in the official attendance. It is not rocket science, and nor is it unfair to report tickets sold as an attendance figure - it isn’t for clubs to second guess who isn’t attending and why.  

The Club does know though so why not report it as additional information which they did when this system was first introduced in 2000. Such declaration would also encourage recycling initiatives and improved atmosphere, midweek matches being a clear case in point.

2 hours ago, essex canary said:

20240507_191505.jpg

This is inaccurate. It’s just a copy of the one put on here earlier in the season,in about November, I believe, when you made comments about the away membership scheme. It needs to be updated to include the 2nd half of the season.

2 minutes ago, essex canary said:

The Club does know though so why not report it as additional information which they did when this system was first introduced in 2000.

I can understand the argument against, but If we're selling those tickets then we should include them as this shows the club in a positive light when we're attracting players, sponsors and such like.

If they submitted the 'actual' attendance figures it's likely they'd be used as a negative factor in comparison to other clubs 'sold' attendance figures.

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I believe, when you made comments about the away membership scheme.

You'll need to be more specific.  

Was it the post where he mentioned Zoe's salary, and children inheriting ADs season tickets......not sure that narrows it too much either! 😳 

21 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

This is inaccurate. It’s just a copy of the one put on here earlier in the season,in about November, I believe, when you made comments about the away membership scheme. It needs to be updated to include the 2nd half of the season.

The source is 'footballgroundguide.com' as quoted on 28 April.

Based on the figures supplied average away attendance as a % of home attendance is 7.8. Plymouth are highest at 13.6. NCFC are 4th from bottom on 5.8. Cardiff are bottom on 5.5.

What about free tickets and the player complimentary tickets? Are these counted even though nobody has bought them? 

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

15th is about where we deserve to be in the proper league table.

Everyone out!

That’s exactly where Buhoooo the man who is never wrong said we would finish in January.

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

The source is 'footballgroundguide.com' as quoted on 28 April.

Read the article accompanying it, the figure for Leicester is said to be mid season, that for Ipswich ‘before the festive period’ You commented on the attendances at the time they were published on here- these are exactly the same.

8 minutes ago, Well b back said:

That’s exactly where Buhoooo the man who is never wrong said we would finish in January.

Well there you go. These people know their football. I’m totally in awe of them…

• Like 1

If I hated my wife as much as Essex hates NCFC I would get a divorce.

For your health Essex I would take a rest.

9 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I can understand the argument against, but If we're selling those tickets then we should include them as this shows the club in a positive light when we're attracting players, sponsors and such like.

If they submitted the 'actual' attendance figures it's likely they'd be used as a negative factor in comparison to other clubs 'sold' attendance figures.

All Clubs are obliged to submit on the tickets sold basis. Since NCFC have about 90% ST holders for home areas as compared to as low as 30% for some Clubs that will tend to inflate NCFC's figures relative to other Clubs for real attendance to a greater degree. ST holders, of course, get discount on standard prices so 'tickets sold' is itself interpretative. This system is this century only. Last Century the Clubs reported the truth and for most of it with much lower season ticket levels tended to only charge attendees on the day of the match. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

My point is that the word is 'attendance' not 'sales volume including wasted tickets'. And you don't need to 'second guess' which tickets are being used, i.e. the attendance because that data will be readily to hand with zero effort by looking at which tickets are used at the gate. Why pretend there are more people there than there really are, it's bull. I know all clubs (I think) do it, not just Norwich.

44 minutes ago, essex canary said:

All Clubs are obliged to submit on the tickets sold basis.

That's why there's no advantage or incentive for us to sell ourselves short by reporting 'actuals', like most things in football, it's not a specific club issue.

12 hours ago, Cowboy said:

We could publish the same measure as other clubs, or we could find a different one that makes us look bad.

Are you Essex Canary in disguise?