Sign in to follow this  
Jonzey

Who will Norwich buy? And who's out?

We could poach somebody off the scum. Oh... wait a sec. There is noone worth posting unless fat man Joe wants to wear the Captain Canary outfit.

On the subject of homegrown, what are we expecting from Jarvis and Hendo next season?

Some good suggestions, Izzet, Riggot and Crouch would be my favorites mentioned so far, but what about a season long loan from Chelsea of Parker? or Joe Cole for that matter, and maybe Harley(they''ve got so many players I''ve lost count!). But one thing that mustn''t happen(and I don''t think will) is getting saddled with past it, over paid, undercommited egotists.

As left wingers go does anyone know about Lionel Morgan at wimbledon? He seems to be their only quality player left after losing the likes of McAnuff and Reo-Coker, but I think has been injured this season. I know Tottenham were interested at one point. He''s young, seems quality and we should be able to snap him up for peanuts. Could be an investment for the future.

What about Micheal Carrick at West Ham? If they don''t go up then we could get him for next to nothing for a premiership player with a lot of potential left in him.

And as for a striker what about Leon Knight in Div2? One of only a few good strikers left in the lower leagues and would add depth to the strike force.

David Bently would be a class signing.

Have just had a quick peek at the Villa site and it seems that they have heard plenty of rumours about Crouchy and Norwich, and possibly Southampton (as a replacement for Beattie). Perhaps there is something in this ''pre-contract agreement'' stuff that a few on here have mentioned?! Still, it would be good to see him on the bus on 10th May, if that can be arranged!

Forget what I said about Lionel Morgan, apparently he has an estimated two year career threatening injury and wimbledon have dropped him. Shame to see such a quality player go the way of Notman!(Although Notman was just a bit of a chubster to be honest!)

Francis Jeffers fell out with David Moyes a couple of weeks ago and not wanted back at Arsenal. So he might be a possibility.

I don''t have names but the urgent requirements are right midfield and central defence. But we must bring in players who are better than what we have or as additional cover. New doesn''t always mean better.

I would like to see Robbo staying for a year longer (as a supersub) as he kept us in Div 1 when Rioch and Hamilton massacred our team. It would be a shame if he went now.

We do need a deeper squad. Baird would be good anyone else thing he kept hucks at bay on saturday? Plus has some prme experinece.

We should definitely try to raid Leeds, loads of good players left. Does Mills still belong to them or did Boro buy him outright? and Pennant is a superstar of the future. If he''s a little unrealistic then bring Harper back?
And why not raid the Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U reserves? You could probably build a couple of excellent Premier class teams from them alone:
Bentley, Kanu, Bergkamp, Pennant, Butt, Cygan, Aliadiere, Stanic, Veron, Richardson, Bellion, Solskjaer are all names who are realistic targets if you ask me for season long loans. Either young, aging or frozen out players who could do with a season (at least) of football and are excellent quality.
Other names I like are Harley and Ehiogu.

Whoever mentioned Parker to come back on loan, it''d be great but will never happen I''m afraid. And the person who said why not be happy with what we have? Be realistic, we''ve been so lucky with injuries this year. We will need 3 to 5 signings like Worthy said, and they have to be proven, may the specualtion continue!

Its not often I disagree with you Tumbleweed but I do on a couple of your points here.

I too liked Jeffers but he seems to be a troublemaker - Wenger does not want him at Highbury and now the goal shy shysters of Liverpool dont want him because of his attitude. I dont think it is worth upsetting the team spirit we have here on the hope he rediscovers his form.

Unfortunately Roberts has lacked impact in div 1 so I really cannot see what he could contribute in the premier. If we want to keep him at the club for sentimental reasons (coaching seems ideal) that that would be superb - just dont let him near the pitch next year.

However you are spot on about the midfield and central defence - new additions to start would be preferable if not cover who would fit into the squad would be ok.

OTBC

I''ve mentioned this before but can we please please PLEASE calm down with some of our predictions as to who we might get. Talk of Koumas, Carrick, Butt, Veron, Pennant to name just a few is ridiculous. It would be amazing if it were to happen don''t get me wrong. All are excellent players. But why not try and get Henry and Pires on season long loans?? We''d stand about the same chance. I''m really enjoying reading rumours and stories for next year but let''s be realistic here posters. I like the idea of raiding Arsenal and Man Utd reseves. Players such as Bellion, Alliadiare and Bentley would be good additions. Also like the idea of Riggot. Is he getting a game at Boro? Talking of Boro, Stuart Downing? Not sure if he''s too much a first team player now though.

I am a Roberts fan, Zipper and I believe we should put the Big Man on a 1 year deal to concentrate on reserves football to give Hendo/Crow/Jarvis the benefit of his gap toothed experience. After misses at Burnley and now Watford among others he can no longer compete for a place against Svens or Leon (it really hurts to admit that).

Sentimentality should not play a part in the running of football clubs but does because of the emotions involved. After all, this week has seen justified high praise go to the players, coaches and the board but, as was pointed out earlier in the thread, the Big Man scored goals for us when we were in our darkest hour and division two was a possibility - he deserves special thanks for his contribution before most of today''s protagonists were at the club . To forget his efforts when we now have the financial resources to reward his loyalty and commitment to the cause would be a mistake of the kind this board does not make.

The scenario is this, give Iwan a one year deal, send him on the courses to get his coaching badges and make him reserve team captain for next season. The wet-behind-the ears Premiership reserve defenders won''t know whats hit them!

Zipper- I don''t know enough abvout Jeffers to be able to judge his character, if he is a troublemaker as you suggest then I agree, he should not find a home here.

But I do feel strongly about Robbo, only for sentimentality. As Dirty Lyle states, it shouldn''t play a part but at the end of the day its why we all follow our team so avidly- why did we go to all those crap Div One grounds over the past 9 years if not for sentimentality. I''ve been soaked, tired, nearly bankrupt and often verbally abused at away grounds over the years- why do I do it? I just think that Robbo''s done so much for the club that I would see it as doing the right thing for him- even a one week rolling contract. Just let him finish his playing days in the Prem and let him coach the youngsters. In his day there was no one better at outjumping at corners and holding the ball up.

Robbo is rightly a legend and deserves his place in the hall of fame for his committment over the years - unlike some of the names on the list - and on his day he was superb.

But next season I would rather give his wages to someone who can save us next season rather than one who saved us in yesteryear - what next Keelan back as cover for Greeno?
Iwan for youth coach - dont we still have a vacancy there? - would be excellent however it was only a couple of months ago he was talking about playing for a welsh club next season.

We will just have to agree to disagree
OTBC.

I am in the "Iwan for Coach" camp - he could bring a lot to the club in the same way as Duncan Forbes did when he stopped playing.

Pennant yes, Mills n Veron no way!

Mills is insisting on £40k a week at middlesboro so he is bein dropped 4 less important games 2 show he isnt indispensible. Harper also no, didnt think he was 2 great in the 1st place n now he is gettin 10 min sub appearances 4 pompey at the most. Bring back Bromby though.

Mills wants 40k a week!!!! It''s gone crazy when just an ok player can demand that. and I hope Jeffers one day realises what a little pr**k he is acting. We don''t want players like that.

Don''t worry, Worthy seems to be a genius at selecting the right players. Who new much about Drury and McKenzie before they arrived? He''ll find some more gems buried amongst the dross.
Can I refer you to the Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U websites, you will find some great players just begging to come on a season long loan or on the cheap, a la Forrsell.