Sign in to follow this  
milan marcus

Bring back Kenton?

I know some might feel that he let us down and you may be right however at the end of the day I thought last season that Kenton was and will be a very special player and maybe it times to bring him home - he knows the club the players but maybe the squad would not accept him?

A good friend of mine, and a friend of Kenton, said he was with Kenton in the Gunn Lounge recently and he (Kenton) said he now regretted moving away. Fact is he would give us the pace, and skill, we need as cover for the defence. I would also like to see Jolean Lescott here..he seems to be out of favour at Wolves. Malky and Flem for the experience, Kenton and Lescott for the future...looks good to me.

Why not go down the road of Kenton returning? Are you saying that in the past the resigning of Paddon, O''Neil, Flecky were not worthwhile?

Remember, Nigels magic formula is a simple one. We and not I.
Fraid Kenton falls at the first hurdle.

I''m sure he regrets it now.

Nevermind, loads of free time to play on his Playstation. Must be fun.

Fatman correct me if i am wrong, but did we not sell Paddon, Oneil and Fleck. They did not walk out on us and gain loads more money because they were free. And for the record i was''nt that pleased when Fleck came back, i remembered his comments that he would Crawl to Stamford Bridge.
Maybe i am not the forgiving type.

Kenton was in norwich recently with Matt Svennsons brother... also at Soton. and he said he would love to return.. even intimated it was a possibility. Not sure though.. i dont like city being Bosmanned! goes against the grain..

I can see your point there Ayrton, but I believe a change in perspective is needed to understand certain things. Maybe Kenton was blinded by the bright lights of premiership football (how many young men would turn down that kind of opportunity?), now he''s a year older and wiser I would hope the lesson has got through to him.

If he can now manage to put teamplay before his own wants he''d progress further in the long run. It''s obviously not working for him at Southampton, I for one would welcome him back - he''s a class player.

It''s not exactly a crime for a player do "do a Bosman" is it?
Don''t forget that last season we only finished 8th and Kenton, a class player, wanted to play in the Premiership.
If it is a crime to "do a Bosman" I would suggest that we will be severely limiting ourselves to the players who we might be able to sign in order to strengthen the squad.
It is an acceptable practice for a player to follow this route in order that he becomes affordable to more Clubs.
I will lay odds that we sign at least one player who is "on a Bosman" - wait and see.

I would be more than happy to see Kenton back as long as we don''t have to pay a fee. He was a big favourite with the fans, remember ''you''ll never beat the Kenton''. If it were to happen then the pairing of Kenton and Shackell in central defence would be up to the job of facing any premiership forward line. The biggest stumbling block is probably whether Worthy would have him back again; there is no doubting his ability, but I''m not so sure about his attitude. Whatever happens, on Worthy''s current form for signing players, whoever he signs will be OK for me.

nevertheless lescott is a player we should DEFINITELY look at. also at wolves, maybe jody craddock and henri camara.

But how can you look at a player who has been out injured all season

seems like a stupid idea to me paying around or over a million for a player who has not played this season in the premier league that is lescot

We need to be looking at players who have not set the premier league on fire but worthy see''s they have got something to offer to us, because the players like that have done well this season for wolves will no doubt attract big transfer fee''s

I would like to go for someone like dawson at forest but how much is he going to cost?

I think we will probably just sign players on free''s and pay them well on one or two year contracts

kenton to come back, no

i am not against players coming back if their attitude is right and they had something to contribute, but kenton falls down on both

while he might fill in at centre back, right back is now edworthy who is a more than capable replacement, if kenton were truly premiership class i am sure he would be playing more with southampton - plus i am not convinced he is a real yellow and green

if i had to wish for an ex to return it would be chris sutton whose heart and soul is norfolk and could still do a job for us upfront or at the back

What was wrong with Kenton''s attitude when he played for us? My memories are of him having a tenacious attitude, hence "You''ll never beat the Kenton".

Lets take the Kenton back. Our back line is not getting any younger and he will be great cover at a great price. There is not much quality available defensively as noone is letting go of their good players. I''m sure Kents would do a great job and get involved. We can''t just assume all people who leave on a Bosman are treacherous. I hardly think Kents was money grabbing at Southampton, but just fancied a chance to play in the Premiership. Lets give him that chance.

However I would prefer Riggot (sorry Kents) from Boro but I know he will be harder to get.

I would sign "Lucifer" if it was good for Norwich. Has no one out there never made mistakes? Forgive and forget I say, we need quality players and he is one, he wouldn''t be a gamble as we know he can "cut the mustard". So a big YES to signing him, also he''ll be alot more humble 2nd time around.
P.S. Went to the corner shop this morning and parked next to a car with "PREMIER CANARIES" in the back window....I just have the "Norwich Supporter" sticker.
P.P.S. I live in ANTIGUA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Three points on this debate:

1. Kenton blew hot and cold. When he was interested he was superb, hence the chant. But after a run of games he blew cold, lumbered around languidly, had a spell in the reserves and after a heart to heart came back in. Flem and Malky don''t have that problem. Nigel drops players without the commitment, look at how McVeigh was dropped but didn''t sulk and comes off the bench.

2. Kenton knew the financial situation we were in and refused to sign a contract knowing that it would deprive us of a transfer fee in order to more easily feather his own nest. Having done that once what is to stop him doing it again? We need team players not self interested gold diggers (read Rick Waghorn''s latest article, there''s a link from the pink''un home page)

3. Generally players coming back a second time do not work out. Fleck is the ideal example and much as we will always love him it tainted our view of him since the most recent memories are when he wasn''t quite performing like we had seen before.

I agree that he has the skill to do the job. But we should move on. It would be a huge gamble and I don''t think Nigel will undermine team spirit by bringing in someone who has already walked out on us. If Greeno left would anyone seriously consider having Andy Marshall back?

I dont believe NW would ever resign Kenton its not about Ability but Attitude ,remember Grimsby away in the cup,and if when hes fit he cant get in Saints 15,is he good enough.

Kenton didn''t do anything wrong - he signed a contract with us and he honoured it. Ok, he wanted to move on, but surely there must come a point in all our lives where we want to move on from our current job/company? Look, if Worthy brings in one or two players on Bosman signings this summer we''ll be delighted, but these players would be just as bad as Kenton. The idea that he didn''t sign a contract, knowing we''d not get a fee is a little silly - what if he signs and then the club refuse to sell him? What if no-one is prepared to pay a fee for him? All of a sudden we have a player who doesn''t want to be here, and we''re wasting valuable wages on him.

So, I don''t think he really betrayed us, and on this basis I wouldn''t have a problem were he to come back. However, where I would have a problem is his Jekyll and Hyde style of play: Will we get Kents - the super defender, or Kents the man who can''t be arsed?!?!

Kenton deserves another go, Andy Marshall just deserves a kick in the knackers. Could he have chosen a worse selection of clubs to go to after leaving Norwich? Ips**t, Wolves and Millwall!!!!!
Kenton is class, I don''t know why Southampton don''t play him. But only if we get him on a free.

Tacklebury, whilst he might not have thought he was doing us out of a fee by not signing a new contract. He was well aware that his wages would have been far larger at a new club, if the club did not have to pay a fee for him. Otherwise why would Ispwich pay a certain shot stopper 20k aweek.

No way we have got rid of the group of players who were getting pissed everynight in time we dont want that back! Southampton dont play him cos they hav beta right bakcs like telfer or even Baird.

Irishcanary - so he moved on to get a pay rise? Are you telling me you wouldn''t do a similar thing if the opportunity arose? Look, he honoured his contract, and waited to see who offered him a deal. Southampton, a Premiership club who were in the UEFA Cup at the start of the season, offer him more money and a chance to play in the biggest league in the world - I can see why he took it. Especially given that at the time very few people would''ve predicted we''d be where we are now! The sad thing is that loyalty is a dying factor of the modern game - money talks, and even die-hard fans of their clubs (Alan Smith at Leeds, for example) accept that they may have to move on if their club isn''t up to scratch. As for Ipswich, well that was them getting carried away and, laughably, it all backfired massively!!

But anyway, I don''t want Kenton back - his ability was never in doubt, but his attitude blows very hot and cold and when we need 11 players giving 100% in every game next season, I''m not sure Kenton would have the stomach for a battle.

Blimey I only asked a question went to Hopton holiday park for the weekend and found out I was not the only one thinking about Kenton !

I asked the question because I believe if you watched him over the seasons there really was something special about him and if Worthy could get him motivated I think he could be a key part of the defence in the Prem. He lost motivation because he thought his job was going nowhere and he left because he was offered a shed load more money - nobody else on this board would ever do that would they? If and only if Worthy thinks he can sort him out I would welcome him back and let him earn his right to play.

Up the City.

TACKLEBURY HOW CAN YOU SAY IN ONE BREATH YOU WOULD HAVE NO PROBS IN KENTON COMING BACK. BUT WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HIS STYLE OF PLAY, SORRY BUT I HAVE,NT RENEWED MY SEASON TICKET TO WATCH SOME SOUTH COAST CAST OFF.LETS LOOK ONWARDS & UPWARDS NOT BACKWARDS.

Deliabemine, I think I got myself the wrong way round! Basically, I don''t want him back - whilst I appreciate he had a lot of ability, he could be incredibly frustrating on his off days. That was why I concluded that I didn''t want him - I think we''re a more consistent unit without him. All I was talking about was the fact that if he did come back (I''d be surprised if he did), I wouldn''t hold the fact that he left on a Bosman against him - unlike some other posters on here who said they had a problem with him leaving us for free.

I realise now I didn''t explain myself very well - sorry!