Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Petit linked with Norwich City!

Chelsea star Petit linked with Norwich City as he will be available on a free transfer say Sky Sports!

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=199652&cpid=8

Now that would be a good signing!

What you you think?

Would be a brilliant signing - classy, physical midfielder, and with the right kind of girly blond hair to go with Hucks, Svennson etc...

But what do you reckon he''s on a week - 30 - 40,000???

Can we really see that happening?

I''d say read what rick waghorn says in his piece on the pink un site, though similar has been already said by others. We have a real spirit in our team and the players who have fought and died for each other this season deserve their chance. I would be most disappointed if worthy even considered bringing in some sort of past it journey man who is just after one last pay day and would end up being a burden. Petit is a fine player but how committed would he be to Norwich city, if the chips were down( and we were nearly too) would you see him run and tackle like Holty?? I''m not so sure. We can learn the ip***** lesson, first season they stuck with their promotion team and did well, next season they imported a couple of big time charlies, who I''m sure never even knew where ip***** was before they signed, and the rest is history.

I for one will not panic if Worthy doesn''t sign any really big names over the summer, the team we already have has, just about, got enough to stay up. And we have the best "young" manager in the country at the helm. Trust me, it will all be fine! Keep it low.

Cannot agree that Petit would be a good signing. Since leaving Arsenal what has he actually achieved? How fit is he these days? The article infers that Worthy would only offer a "pay as you play" contract - something tells me that Petit is too mercenary to accept that type of deal.

I take your point FatMan, bu Petit might just take up the challenge. He would, however, have to take a serious cut in wages. Remember how we struggled to find Hucks wages?

Petit sums up what we must avoid. High wages, too old, not committed to our cause, too negative. I advocate brining in players who are better than those we have but not overpaid so-called "names". I just don''t think he would be better than either Francis or Holt and might unbalance a very hard working and organised midfield (which is not something we have had much of in recent years).

When Norwich bought stars in the past, such a Martin Peters, Mick Channon, Martin O''Neill, Asa Hartford and, dare I say it, Joe Royle, they still had something left and made a difference to the overall quality of the side. I have never been that impressed by Petit.

I''ve said it before elsewhere on this message board, but I feel it needs repeating:

Petit is a has-been who has nothing to offer any more. And would be too expensive, Worthy is far to clever to sign this type of player. I agree with Tumbleweed that Holt and Francis are far better defensive midfielders. I''d rather we signed Cooper on a permanant basis alongside another right sided midfielder.

Glad to be agreeing with Tumbleweed again. A key part of our success this year has been Worthys ability to buy players who have firstly improved the quality of the squad, secondly want to perform for the club (& when Francis'' committment waned in winter he was dropped to be rejuvenated in superb fashion) and thirdly has the personality to gel with the current squad. That way we retain the superb team spirit and improve the ability of the team.

I am confident that if Worthy signs anyone like petit he will have satisfied himself that they will meet these three criteria.

Petit could be another Peters for us - for me it would be about his attitude, which appears to be I''ve won a world cup so I''m worth it - not quite our team attitude.

Not that I can see him playing for a non-London club - I seem to remember the north east clubs were interested in him before he signed for Chelski and he didnt fancy not being in london...