Sign in to follow this  
Balham Yellow

Be careful because you'll get the club you deserve.

Those of you that are happy to tolerate the last few seasons beacause you think that that''s what real "supporters" should do will end up with the club you deserve. 

This club will forever be held back by the small-town/club mentality which runs through it like a stick of rock.  The same thing that stopped us taking a giant step fowards on the back of finishing third in the inaugural Premiership.  You get the feeling that the club and a good proportion of the fans think that we should all just shut up and be grateful we''re not even worse.  

A section of the crowd made their feelings know to Green because they''re sick and tired of seeing the ball rocketed skywards only to find when it eventually returns to earth that it lands virtually exclusively on the head of the opposing centre backs.  How many times, and this applies equally to each and every one of our so called defenders, do you have to try something before you realise it doesn''t work?  We have therefore to assume that our players are either to stupid to realise it doesn''t work or that they lack the talent to do anything else.  Something of a worry either way.

I have lost interest in NCFC over the last few months.  Not because we''re not winning every game, I''m well used to that.  It is because it is genuinely boring to go and watch them.  There is no entertainment value.  You''re not sure whether to laugh or cry half the time.  One thing is for sure, there is an unpleasant atmosphere hanging over the club and things have to change, and quickly.

The worst thing of all is seeing a side like Preston pass the ball so well, create loads of chances and MAKE the play-offs all on no budget!!!  Well done Billy Davies

Watch a team like Ipswich pass the ball and finish near to us even after selling star player after star player after star player!! Well done Joe Royle

Watch a team like Reading pass the ball to the championship, after having BUILT a team!!  Well done Steve Coppell

AND yes Hoofball DONE PROPERLY!! can work as in Watford and Sheffield United...  Well sone Ady Bothroyd and dare I say it Neil Warnock (although how he managed it i will never guess!!)

And the others Mixing it well at Leeds and Palace, Well Done...

As for us No Comment, None Required

[quote user="Balham Yellow"]

Those of you that are happy to tolerate the last few seasons beacause you think that that''s what real "supporters" should do will end up with the club you deserve. 

This club will forever be held back by the small-town/club mentality which runs through it like a stick of rock.  The same thing that stopped us taking a giant step fowards on the back of finishing third in the inaugural Premiership.  You get the feeling that the club and a good proportion of the fans think that we should all just shut up and be grateful we''re not even worse.  

A section of the crowd made their feelings know to Green because they''re sick and tired of seeing the ball rocketed skywards only to find when it eventually returns to earth that it lands virtually exclusively on the head of the opposing centre backs.  How many times, and this applies equally to each and every one of our so called defenders, do you have to try something before you realise it doesn''t work?  We have therefore to assume that our players are either to stupid to realise it doesn''t work or that they lack the talent to do anything else.  Something of a worry either way.

I have lost interest in NCFC over the last few months.  Not because we''re not winning every game, I''m well used to that.  It is because it is genuinely boring to go and watch them.  There is no entertainment value.  You''re not sure whether to laugh or cry half the time.  One thing is for sure, there is an unpleasant atmosphere hanging over the club and things have to change, and quickly.

[/quote]I can understand where you are coming from but greatly disagree.I don''t think there is a small town club mentality. Everyone knows that we are infact a City  - the towners are down the road!!!Don''t confuse the mentality that some of the support and I have taken a stance on which is we are not one of the big clubs nor one of the small clubs. Unfortunately football is not about fanbase anymore - if it was on that alone we would be in the premiership. And we not one of the great clubs when we finnished 3rd we were on the verge of being one before a certain Mr Chase decided to sell up shop and make his money from us. I may only have been 12/13 but I remember crying bitterly over the way that all that was once great was flogged off to the first bidder. That was nothing to do with a small club mentality.Its more about money and marketing. In that sence Norwich have taken steps in the right direction by tapping into the foreign fanbase with Proton.This season has proven again that the fans are not 100% behind this club whether your for or against the current management. The in-fighting itself has been intollerable. First it was people disagreeing and then people started suggesting that one party was being more aggressive than the other. With fingers pointing this way and that many found it hard to side with either stance.What you see now is a result of that. The people in the middle who are quite happy waiting for it all to blow over and for the redicule to blow over - they are surely the majority now. Whilst the other two camps fire the odd potshot here and there wondering whether or not their own stance has been worth it.It has ruined the second half of this campaign whether people want to accept that or not. I think the dwinderling protest on Saturday proves that.The hypocrasy that was the event surrounding Green at the weekend was actually hilarious and points out exactly where we have gone wrong this season. Green decides to lay the ball along the floor to Fleming only for the jeers and insults to be thrown. Was it not this that people had wanted to see all season? So what is done when it happens? Lets boo him anyway!A small club we most certainly are not but thanks to people who refuse to accept what has happened such as those who still argue we should never have appointed Worthington - this club will not regain its Big Club mentallity.My hat goes off to the away support this season - it seems on most occaisions they have really made an impression of themselves with noise and guts. Shame that in that department our home support couldnt be a bit better! If you have lost interest in NCFC then how can you acuse others of not being proper fans? Like I have said - this summer will be a welcome break for all. We can all kick back watch the world cup revitalise our taste for the beautiful game and go into next season with renewed optimism. Thats what I am going to do - move on and look forward.  If we are not showing it say next season then my personal doubts will surface and my opinion will change. Untill then I will remain positive. This is the worse season under Worthington who has averaged finishes higher than and position since we were relegated I beleive. Thats including teams which included Fox, Eadie, Bellamy etc.

Oh my mistake...I thought we had Malky Mackay at centre half for 4 years and Iwan Roberts as centre forward for 7 years.  Both shining examples of total football.  Wasn''t Gary Holt sandwiched in the middle of them for 3 years.

If everybody doesn''t stop becoming so unrealistic we will get the club we deserve - we will turn into Wolves or even worse Ipswich with this beleif that we have a divine right to be in the top league or go around telling everyone that we were good once ...in1981.

We have only been one of the top 20 sides in the country once in the last 11 seasons.  Not small town small minded, just facts and realism. 

Blame the four midfielders not the goalie or the defenders for the hoofing.  They should learn to ask for the ball and cross the halfway line every now and again and not hide.

[quote user="Balham Yellow"]

[/quote] The last few seasons?? Is it wrong to tolerate a promotion season and a season in the premiership then?? Just because fans are still suporting the club doesn''t mean they like the football or want to tolerate it.

"The hypocrasy that was the event surrounding Green at the weekend was actually hilarious and points out exactly where we have gone wrong this season. Green decides to lay the ball along the floor to Fleming only for the jeers and insults to be thrown. Was it not this that people had wanted to see all season? So what is done when it happens? Lets boo him anyway!"

do you go to games chicken - I get the impression you don''t.

He was jeered and chants of hoof every time he hoofed it (every time for 20 minutes along with every other player cos we didnt try and pass it once - NOT ONCE in 20 minutes)

When he finally did roll it out ironic CHEERS were heard, and again as the players passed the ball (something they didnt do for 20 minutes)

Personally, I think that the NCFC board, manager, coaching & playing staff...........have got the club that they deserve! [li] 

Precisely Foggers! That was my point.It goes entirely against the view that people still support their team doesnt it? They actually go to boo and jeer them. Does anybody actually want to see good football anymore because to me its this negativeness that will be the downfall of the club not the supposed and unproven small city club mentality.To be honest if sections of the crowd are allowed to jeer the players I am not surprised that they will respond in that way.Have people forgotten that out of all of our current players Green is one of the longest serving and most committed to City? I bet you if he leaves in the summer he will give reasons of the fans getting on the teams back! I would never utter a bad word about Green. A fantastic keeper and second best keeper we have had at the club in my lifetime after Gunn.Get real and get behind the team! That is all they have asked all season and they havent been given it.

I''m sticking my head against the parapet here chicken, but I don''t think Green is actually an outstanding keeper. Reason? He will not and never has dominated his area in the way that Keelan or Woods did or that the majority of good keepers do. This puts huge pressure and at times panic in the defence.

Evidence? Every game. Look for any cross from the wing, corner or free kick. How many times does Green come off his goal line to collect or punch the ball? He doesn''t do it. Its the Bryan Gunn school of keeping- Green came up through the ranks under Gunn and Bryan was the same (although not to quite the same extent). Its how we concede goals to midget unmarked strikers 6 yards out- Green sticks limpet-like to his line as if held there by a large squirt of No More Nails.

We now regularly concede goals from long shots around or outside the penalty area too. Way too many for my likeing from in many cases average or journeyman pros, not from Wayne Rooneys or Dennis Bergkamps.

Now don''t assume I don''t rate him, his positioning is generally good and he can be a great shot stopper (in the promotion year he did this outstandingly well), but there are aspects of his keeping which have always worried me and which I think have contributed to our defensive frailties over the past few seasons.

Spot on Tumbleweed!

I made similar comments recently in another Green thread (about his gesture to the crowd). He is a shadow of the keeper he was two years ago and has NEVER learned to dominate his six yard box let alone the penalty area. What does this say of our ''goalkeeping'' coach James Holman?? Answers on the back of a postage stamp I think!

Actually I think Green is only a similar level to Flapper - great (usually) at the acrobatic stuff but well dodgy on coming off his line.

The huge number of goals we have conceded last season and this must be SOMETHING to do with Green, it isn''t all the defence or midfields fault. As I said in my other post, watch the 4th goal Palace scored against us recently. Is that what an England keeper should be doing? I think not. Failing that, watch the 4th goal we let in at Reading (where the guy ran unchallenged through the middle), he then actually scuffs his shot giving Green plenty of time to get down and make at least a decent attempt to save. What happened? Lets just say that Green wouldn''t have had to wash his knees after the game!

There needs to be genuine competition for the keepers jersey at Norwich, unfortunately there is none as Green will never, ever be dropped by this manager.